Well, As Long As It’s From The UC Irvine “Office of Inclusive Excellence”

One of my readers sent me this. It’s from his eminence, the honorable Douglas M. Haynes, Ph.D., Vice Provost for Academic Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Office of Inclusive Excellence, University of California at Irvine.

Try to get through it without laughing out loud.

This is the sort of meaningless drivel, non-academinc, time-wasting, life-diminishing indoctrination you parents are sending your kids off to college to “learn.”

Dear campus community,

A number of posters advertising a student-sponsored event have appeared on campus using offensive language directed at members of the campus community. One such poster included the word “faggotry.” Homophobia – as well as other forms of bias – contradicts our campus’s enduring commitment to inclusive excellence. Let me be clear: Bigotry has no place here or anywhere.

This type of incident should be a reminder about what connects us: UCI. Every member of our community has chosen to come to UCI to learn and teach and explore and create in an environment that is supportive and affirmative. By expecting equity, supporting diversity and practicing inclusion, each of us can do our part to fortify our collective sense of community.

This incident is all the more distressing as it occurred a day after the third annual Anteater Equity Games. At noon on Wednesday, May 4, hundreds of staff, students and faculty turned out at Aldrich Park to have fun while learning about and appreciating the richness of our campus diversity, including the lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer community.

One way to strengthen the bonds of community is to utilize the programming resources that the LGBT Resource Center sponsors. I myself benefited from Safe Zone training. There are now hundreds of staff and faculty who have completed this training. There is always room for more allies.

In the meantime, my office remains open to all members of the UCI community to further efforts to promote inclusive excellence.

Expect equity, support diversity and practice inclusion!

Douglas M. Haynes, Ph.D.
Vice Provost for Academic Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Office of Inclusive Excellence

It’s gotten to where you can’t even make this shit up anymore. All attempts to do so would fail, because the real thing is so much more hilarious.

1. Wilbur on May 11, 2016 at 19:49

I had to look the word up. Here’s a humorous take:

Seriously, though, the number of students traumatized by the appearance of such a word must have been much higher in a Vice Provost’s letter to the entire campus than in a few random posters appearing around campus. Completely unnecessary. Delete the sentence with the offensive word. Does the meaning of the letter to the community change? Can the letter be read with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor on the Vice Provost’s part?

• Richard Nikoley on May 11, 2016 at 20:29

You’re falling for their game.

• Hap on May 11, 2016 at 21:09

Wilbur…..I guarantee you the Vice Provost for academic Inclusiveness does not send out tongue in cheek emails . This is deadly serious.

In fact, other than mentioning the word “faggotry”….it does not actually set it in any context…like the sentence used or nature of the poster and it locations around campus etc. Apparently, only those that have seen the poster would know, and I suspect it’s not a large proportion of the 35 thousand students, as you suggest.

However, it is true that if you tried, you could not make this shit up. there’s plenty more where that came from and the more farcical, the more likely you can’t ignore it as a one off.

You can easily extrapolate how much money is spent on this kind of thing as it is duplicated in just about every public university and many private ones. My guess is that it is a prerequesite for receiving federal and state monies.

• Wilbur on May 12, 2016 at 04:10

I’m not falling for anything. I’m pointing out the double standard. The Office for Inclusiveness can unnecessarily use a word that some poster cannot use (presumably) for a purpose.

Academic administration raises irony and doublespeak to a new art form.

2. Colleen on May 11, 2016 at 08:38

Liar, Liar, pants on fire! Beware, this does not apply to diversity of opinion.

3. Jim on May 11, 2016 at 08:39

“LGBT Resource Center”? Not “LGBTQ+”?

I am triggered as fuck right now.

4. John on May 11, 2016 at 13:10

He’s certainly not concerned with the feelings of bigots! Actively stating they will not be tolerated, in fact. What a hypocrite.

5. Corey on May 11, 2016 at 13:18

I’m sorry, but the word “faggotry,” regardless of what it connotes or denotes, just sounds funny to me.

This letter must have been sent around on April 1, right? But I looked at the UCI website, and it’s clearly a real office and position.

I truly was not aware that “queer” is now a group separate from LGBT however.

And Richard, you nailed it – I could never think up something this ridiculous. It looks completely farcical – Anteater Equity Games; Safe Zone training. I’m actually still laughing while I type this.

Is it any wonder that the UC schools have to import so many out of state students to cover their costs? How many tens or hundreds more completely illegitimate positions do they have on the school payrolls?

6. Beans Mcgrady on May 11, 2016 at 22:02

I made it to “I mah self have benefited from Safe Zone training m’kay.” (I tried hard too.)
    It is pretty fucking scary out there.
    A girl at Yale screamed at a dean that it was not about creating an academic space, but a home.
    When he disagreed she screamed “Then who fucking hired you” (she was on the committee)
    Here is the best one from the Dangerous Faggot Tour (with Based Mom and Steven Crowder)
    Featuring: Trigglypuff
    Then go watch the last season of South Park, it may have been the best yet.
    The cultural marxists are coming. They are getting people fired for not being PC enough, and when they give the kids what they want, they just up the demands.
    The university as a place of higher learning is nearly dead in the US. They have ruined all liberal arts and humanities. They are coming for the science next.
    Yes, there are feminist biology books. It would be funny if it weren’t so tragic.

• John on May 12, 2016 at 08:53

Well “science” is a social construct so . . .

LMAO

• Hap on May 12, 2016 at 08:13

They have already come for science…..in forms for the masses…..i.e. Climate change.

Read Herbert Marcuse on repressive tolerance. Free speech not good because it propagates error and error cannot be tolerated because it opposes truth. ( guess who owns the truth). Please read the following

To fight back have to adopt a maxim of Alinsky,,,,,” make them (the right) live up to their own rules”. Force the left to live up to tolerance and free speech. Go milos!

• Doug on May 13, 2016 at 04:11

Beans….South Park was very good last year. I am not much into cartoons, but that show’s writers have explored some deep issues.

7. Gemma on May 11, 2016 at 23:54

“Office of Inclusive Excellence”???

Can it get even more Orwellian?

• elmo222 on May 17, 2016 at 19:22

my thoughts too. or maybe the old soviet union?

btw, if they have to call it “Excellent”……

8. Hap on May 12, 2016 at 09:55

John

You’ve circled back to “Critical Thinking Theory”.

Whatever can be “constructed” can be “deconstructed”……although they would deny that “deconstruction”…can be deconstructed. That…is sacred.

9. Beans Mcgrady on May 12, 2016 at 10:07

Fun fact, the piñata was culturally appropriated from China via Marco Polo.

• elmo222 on May 17, 2016 at 19:37

uh oh, is that an inconvenient truth?

10. Much better Ed on May 16, 2016 at 03:05

Completely off topic… but thank you for all your articles on RS. If I hadn’t followed your posts for the potato diet I’d never have found out that I’m allergic to potatoes! Couldn’t work out why my symptoms are as they were. Started taking Potato Starch not realising it was causing flare ups UNTIL I started the potato diet. Three days in and symptoms are the worst they’ve ever been and I have to quit… finally realising why, or rather what, was causing my illness. It’s pretty sucky to be intolerant of potatoes but there we go, especially as I used to enjoy them a lot! But at least I can avoid em now and no more symptoms!

• Natasha on May 17, 2016 at 06:44

Much Better Ed,

This was my situation years ago. You can’t have potatoes because you have lost some of the gut bacteria you used to have. Now, I eat potatoes regularly. No problems. I did the the probiotics used here. Plus I saw a classic homeopath. That being said, you can get the RS from non potato sources. Which can help you to build a healthier gut. Just don’t give up. Potatoes should be in the diet, and you should have the gut bacteria to eat them.
      N

11. Kebekgirl on May 16, 2016 at 11:30

The third annual Anteater Equity Games??? Really???

12. elmo222 on May 17, 2016 at 19:25

Office of Inclusive Excellence = delicous dogsht sandwich

13. pzo on June 28, 2016 at 20:21

As an old fashioned liberal, this shit is beyond embarrassing. It is not classic liberalism of inquiry and ration, but I don’t know what it is besides shit. I am very glad I went to college when the purpose was learning and not social molding.

I am so tired of reading and hearing about all those sexual error minorities. Especially transgender. Aaaaargh! What are they, a couple of tenths of a percent of the population? Yet, every day, it seems that’s all I hear. Sex has one purpose, reproduction. That it also make pair bonding is great, but that is an offshoot benefit. If your sex isn’t reproductive, it’s a biological error. I don’t mean that as unkind, but as scientific fact.

I long ago gave up caring where, what, or how consenting adults do with their parts. As to discrimination, life’s a bitch. Even us heteros can have problems. I do get that few heteros, if any, kill themselves or are the victims of violence. I agree, that is very wrong. But that part of a larger picture.

I’m just tired of hearing about everyone’s angst and how I am supposed to do something beyond tolerance.

14. Jennifer Wilson on August 18, 2016 at 21:17

Funny I found you again, ranting on the same thing that’s irking me at the moment (though I realize this post is old).

I just saw a sign at my college: LGBT SAFE SPACE.

Oh, good grief! This community has really become the whiniest bunch of babies. I took out my phone to take a picture of it, but there were too many people around and I didn’t want to be asked questions and either lie and become “one of them” or tell the truth and be labeled a bigot.

But, really. Can they just chill the hell out?

They really won’t ever be satisfied with acceptance. They demand outright approval, and think it’s something that can be forced.

No, you can’t make this shit up anymore. It’s beyond ridiculous.

• Jen W. on August 19, 2016 at 13:17

Yes, Jennifer they have. It’s funny, being part of this community and also saying “you need to chill the fuck out and get your head out of your ass.” One lesbian posted on a FB group I’m a part of, that she “wanted to throat punch” some co-workers for using the term “girlfriends” to refer to female friends, saying it marginalized the LGBT community. I tried to give her some sensible advice, but she kept finding excuses as to why she couldn’t apply it. She got mad at me when I then told her she was over reacting and inserting her own anger into a situation where there was none in the first place. Maybe Milo Yiannopoulos is right about the LGBT community needing to go back in the closet, cuz this is getting ridiculous.