I’m a Myers-Briggs ENTP. Who Knew?

I called Karen Pendergrass a cunt once. According to her it was twice, but who’s counting?

Last week at paleo f(x), during the Saturday evening benefit party, she and I walked down the street, down to the Austin City Government dome-building to sit on the steps and have a slightly inebriated-induced paleo smoke of American Spirit ciggies (no additives). This would have perhaps not been possible but for this bit of surprising news from Karen back in 2014.

Now, about that. Of course it told me that when I uttered my missives previously, I did so in a sorting, time-saving maneuver, and not from checking into the girl. I really don’t care what others think or feel and if I’ve got them wrong, they sometimes find their way back to me; and conversely, I will make endeavors to go back to people I admire when I think they got me wrong. But in this case, Karen simply acknowledged my contribution, I found it satisfying, she said go ahead and blog it, end of it.

Then a party at Sisson’s house a couple of months ago and we met face-to-face, and she had her mom (whom I call her sister) in tow, and it was short, but cordial. Her “sister” is a kick, and gives you an insight into Karen herself. For example, jumping ahead, on last PFX day, I run into her “sister,” and ask where is Karen. Doesn’t know. She gives me her phone number and I text. Then we find her. She says to mom, “what, you’re giving out my phone number?” “Well, it’s on the bathroom wall,” replies mom. And Karen then makes a joke about that. Now, need I say more about cool relationship and cool mother/daughter?

Even more cool—and I’m getting to the personality stuff—is that she laughed in my face about me calling her a cunt on the Internet. Which, of course, is perfect. She added: “it was obviously not personal.” Wow, intelligent life form. Of course it wasn’t personal. How could it be? That requires levels of knowledge I had on nobody I used that jab with, and it’s an endless curiosity to me how it can roll off the backs of some and so adversely energize others, especially all the ones I didn’t call a cunt, including those pretending to be men, or closet trans, like Antonio Valladares or James “Body for Wife” Fell.

So cutting to the chase, she says, “Richard, you have to take the Myers-Briggs test. You’re ENTP.” What the hell is that (and I’ve been avoiding that bullshit for the two decades I’ve been aware of it)? Then we get back from our smoke break to see if we can get Robb Wolf away from the ubiquitous circle of surrounding fans. After photo-bombing one or two of the posed pics Robb was having with fans, she asks Robb. ENTP? He says maybe, or maybe ENTJ.

So I took the test, a 10-15 minute free version.

16B90776-3890-4F47-9D0F-F55136420169.large

So when I did this yesterday at 16Personalities, and sent Karen the screen shot she insisted upon, I was like “there, satisfied,” and at the time had zero idea of any import of the thing whatsoever and she’s like “yea, nailed it,” and I’m thinking ok, but I don’t really get it, or why it’s important.

Then I began reading the psychoanalysis, and in particular, ENTP-A, purportedly my own deconstruction and I was floored; and on top of that, learned I’m 3 out of a hundred (3% of population), which explains even more to me and how so often, I can’t even relate to my own family because not a one of them are ENTP so far as I could tell and I have never known any who are.

So I ask you. Does any of this ring true, those who’ve been stuck reading me for years?

ENTP PERSONALITY (“THE DEBATER”)

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ‘crack-pot’ than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. — Thomas J. Watson

The ENTP personality type is the ultimate devil’s advocate, thriving on the process of shredding arguments and beliefs and letting the ribbons drift in the wind for all to see. Unlike their more determined Judging (J) counterparts, ENTPs don’t do this because they are trying to achieve some deeper purpose or strategic goal, but for the simple reason that it’s fun. No one loves the process of mental sparring more than ENTPs, as it gives them a chance to exercise their effortlessly quick wit, broad accumulated knowledge base, and capacity for connecting disparate ideas to prove their points.

An odd juxtaposition arises with ENTPs, as they are uncompromisingly honest, but will argue tirelessly for something they don’t actually believe in, stepping into another’s shoes to argue a truth from another perspective.

Playing the devil’s advocate helps people with the ENTP personality type to not only develop a better sense of others’ reasoning, but a better understanding of opposing ideas – since ENTPs are the ones arguing them.

This tactic shouldn’t be confused with the sort of mutual understanding Diplomats (NF) seek – ENTPs, like all Analyst (NT) personality types, are on a constant quest for knowledge, and what better way to gain it than to attack and defend an idea, from every angle, from every side?

There Are no Rules Here – We’re Trying to Accomplish Something!

Taking a certain pleasure in being the underdog, ENTPs enjoy the mental exercise found in questioning the prevailing mode of thought, making them irreplaceable in reworking existing systems or shaking things up and pushing them in clever new directions. However, they’ll be miserable managing the day-to-day mechanics of actually implementing their suggestions. ENTP personalities love to brainstorm and think big, but they will avoid getting caught doing the “grunt work” at all costs. ENTPs only make up about three percent of the population, which is just right, as it lets them create original ideas, then step back to let more numerous and fastidious personalities handle the logistics of implementation and maintenance.

ENTPs’ capacity for debate can be a vexing one – while often appreciated when it’s called for, it can fall painfully flat when they step on others’ toes by say, openly questioning their boss in a meeting, or picking apart everything their significant other says. This is further complicated by ENTPs’ unyielding honesty, as this type doesn’t mince words and cares little about being seen as sensitive or compassionate. Likeminded types get along well enough with people with the ENTP personality type, but more sensitive types, and society in general, are often conflict-averse, preferring feelings, comfort, and even white lies over unpleasant truths and hard rationality.

This frustrates ENTPs, and they find that their quarrelsome fun burns many bridges, oftentimes inadvertently, as they plow through others’ thresholds for having their beliefs questioned and their feelings brushed aside. Treating others as they’d be treated, ENTPs have little tolerance for being coddled, and dislike when people beat around the bush, especially when asking a favor. ENTP personalities find themselves respected for their vision, confidence, knowledge, and keen sense of humor, but often struggle to utilize these qualities as the basis for deeper friendships and romantic relationships.

Opportunity Is Missed Because It Looks Like Hard Work

ENTPs have a longer road than most in harnessing their natural abilities – their intellectual independence and free-form vision are tremendously valuable when they’re in charge, or at least have the ear of someone who is, but getting there can take a level of follow-through that ENTPs struggle with.

Once they’ve secured such a position, ENTPs need to remember that for their ideas to come to fruition, they will always depend on others to assemble the pieces – if they’ve spent more time “winning” arguments than they have building consensus, many ENTPs will find they simply don’t have the support necessary to be successful. Playing devil’s advocate so well, people with this personality type may find that the most complex and rewarding intellectual challenge is to understand a more sentimental perspective, and to argue consideration and compromise alongside logic and progress.

~~~

Well, on that last bit, I actually have done the entrepreneurial deal, ran it iron fist under velvet glove and was pretty uniformly appreciated by employees who I treated damn well with pay and vacation, health, and 401K benefits because I think far too damn highly of myself to do otherwise. Yes, I did all that because I selfishly cared about myself and perceptions on the ground about me and how I ran a business doing $3.5 million a year more than because of that leftist fucktarded “I care” lying bullshit any child can see through.

Now go fuck off.

1. TheConstantConsumer on June 3, 2016 at 06:23

Pretty funny, as an INTP the biggest difference I usually find between myself and you is that I find myself going “He’s got a good argument and could be right, but how does he have so much energy to argue with all these people about it.”

As an “I”, it seems daunting…

2. Scott Miller on June 2, 2016 at 16:37

I’m ENTP, too. Which I’ve known since taking the 3-hr version of the test at college two decades ago. And yes, we love a debate, and can easily play both sides. Most sites call the ENTP a Visionary though. And I suspect we’re the least likely type to believe in the silly idea of gods, btw.

Famous ENTP’s:

• Richard Nikoley on June 2, 2016 at 17:27

It would no more surprise me to find I had a disproportionate share of ENTPs or perhaps Js (I’m learning more about this) than it did to find I have a crazy number of people who can pull 130-150 on a tough as fuck image pattern IQ test.

3. Tim M. on June 2, 2016 at 20:13

I’m a INTP-A, the Logician

I probably minor as a Debator. My wife gets annoyed at me because I’m always playing devil’s advocate. She calls it arguing but I call it an interesting discussion.

• Richard Nikoley on June 2, 2016 at 20:24

Mine is quantified ENTP-A as well, but tagged Debater. They probably switch roles.

Devil’s advocate is so fun, especially when people can’t tell if your seriously advocating the postion or not, which of course misses the whole point, as usual. I am and I’m not, at the same time.

Here’s a fun one. Challenge someone to make their best argument against you over something they believe in, with the promise that you’ll make their argument better for them. I did that recently, but I like the guy so I won’t mention his name or how he didn’t take me up on it.

• Richard Nikoley on June 2, 2016 at 20:52

Ah I see I flubbed that up. I not E. New at this.

4. Edster on June 2, 2016 at 22:54

Pretty close I think.

“THE MEDIATOR”
    INFP personalities are true idealists, always looking for the hint of good in even the worst of people and events, searching for ways to make things better. While they may be perceived as calm, reserved, or even shy, INFPs have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine. Comprising just 4% of the population, the risk of feeling misunderstood is unfortunately high for the INFP personality type – but when they find like-minded people to spend their time with, the harmony they feel will be a fountain of joy and inspiration.

When deciding how to move forward, they will look to honor, beauty, morality and virtue – INFPs are led by the purity of their intent, not rewards and punishments. People who share the INFP personality type are proud of this quality, and rightly so, but not everyone understands the drive behind these feelings, and it can lead to isolation.

INFPs often drift into deep thought, enjoying contemplating the hypothetical and the philosophical more than any other personality type.

5. Mycroft Jones on June 2, 2016 at 23:15

I did the 3 hour test years ago too. Pegged me as ENTJ then, and the 15 minute test just now pegged me the same way. Even more strongly than the original test did.

There needs to be a club for us 3%ers. 😉

6. Nenad Kojić on June 3, 2016 at 02:05

It said ISTP (Hm, am I a bad person because I have S when all of you have N second? Haha.) When I read through the profile, I thought it fits pretty well. Not perfect, but well…

I is 90%, T is 90% and A is 98%, so I guess here is no doubt about it.

But then I see S is almost 40:60 which is kind of inbetween, right? And the last one is 48:52. So I though I should read the profiles for ISTJ, INTJ and INTP as well, and see how they fit.

Funny enough, I found a bit of myself in every one of them. So, based on this, I would describe myself as a I(S/N)T(P/J)-A. Maybe, I just have a very unstable personality. Haha. Or maybe just fuck this test and be done with it, because everyone is a unique snowflake. 😀

7. solver on June 3, 2016 at 05:10

E.N.T.P? I’m surprised. I thought you would have been a C.U.N.T for sure.

• LaFrite on June 3, 2016 at 05:36

LOL 😀

• Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2016 at 07:30

That would be CUNT-A

• king of the one eyed people on June 4, 2016 at 00:10

Well. It’s all pseudo science anyway but for what it’s worth, I am INTP-A but I prefer to be seen as CUNT. It keeps the fake people away and attracts the smart and genuine ones.

• king of the one eyed people on June 4, 2016 at 00:13

Smart and genuine people never fear the truth.

8. Jen W. on June 3, 2016 at 06:08

INTP-A, Logician here. Although all of the % are more in the middle, with the highest being 70% T. This probably has more to do with integration skills and wanting to either combine two parts of several questions or agreeing with one part of a question and disagreeing with the other part. This made it somewhat difficult to come up with answers that fit the range I was given. And, this trait does not make one really “neutral” (as in doesn’t have an opinion/doesn’t care) per say. Having read the analysis, this trait, ironically fits an INTP. Perhaps, I/E. NTP’s have higher levels of integration skills then the rest of the population, both being only 3%?

• LaFrite on June 3, 2016 at 06:30

Pretty much the same with me. What made it I instead of E was a 51% vs 49%. But again, the free test is quite quick. The other thing is that I know I would reply different things on another day, depending on e.g. my mood.

• Jen W. on June 3, 2016 at 06:56

Ah yes, that adaptability. In terms of “in the middle”, mine were more of the 60%/40%ish variety.

9. Glenda on June 3, 2016 at 06:38

Fascinating. INFJ here, 2% of population. You stated “and how so often, I can’t even relate to my own family because not a one of them are ENTP so far as I could tell and I have never known any who are.”–I get it, I live it.

I read/heard somewhere that ENTP and INFJ are wonderfully compatible personalities, but I don’t know from personal experience, as far as I know your being the only one I’m even marginally “acquainted” with.

What is Bea, by the way?

• Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2016 at 07:25

Don’t know Bea’s yet. Some sort of touchy-feely, overly sensitive and caring type, I would imagine. Lot’s of patience, too. 😉

• Glenda on June 3, 2016 at 17:14

I took the test you linked: INFJ-A confirmed, but a lower percentage on the F than I’ve ever had before…wonder if I’m turning into an INTJ?

It would be interesting to hear what Bea’s is, if she doesn’t mind your sharing. =D

• Richard Nikoley on June 4, 2016 at 17:27

Bea just tested ESFJ-A (The Consul). She’s a elementary school teacher for about 33 years and Junior High guidance counselor the last two. Her Masters is in counseling.

The description pretty much pegs her.

• Glenda on June 5, 2016 at 07:38

Wow–you certainly know your wife, predicted her assessment spot on. Also, briefly looked at a few assessments for ESFJ & ENTP as complementary personalities–‘course you don’t need an assessment to tell you about what you already know works!

10. Anand Srivastava on June 3, 2016 at 07:05

I tested as INTP some time ago. Didn’t save the image, so don’t remember the percentages.

11. Steven on June 3, 2016 at 08:22

I remember a few months ago I left you a statement about my confidence in the various conclusions you come to. I mentioned it allowed me, in some ways, to just be lazy. I can come to FTA, read what you are saying/ranting about and know that I will agree with you 99% of the time which allowed me the time to explore other arenas.

I stand by that self assessment.

ENTP-A

• Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2016 at 08:45

No surprise, Steven. Given your Arab background, the culture, and what your parents did for you, looks like you were explicitly raised to have a mind of your own that doesn’t fret over the number of others who “think” differently.

12. Resurgent on June 3, 2016 at 12:08

ARCHITECT – INTJ-A …
    This test was fun, Richard.
    Thanks for showing the way. And now I find, much to my surprise, that I am in good company. Famous INTJ-A’s include – Beethoven, Friedrich Nietzsche, Samantha Powers and Vladimir Putin.

13. Geoff on June 3, 2016 at 13:11

ISTJ-T, the Logistician.

Reading the “respect for authority” aspects reflected in my results initially made me wonder why I was spending time on this blog, but then I read “ISTJs have sharp, fact-based minds, and prefer autonomy and self-sufficiency to reliance on someone or something. Dependency on others is often seen by ISTJs as a weakness”.

But since it’s now Friday afternoon as I type, why don’t I break type and take this in a more lighthearted direction

• Wilbur on June 3, 2016 at 13:54

ISTJ logistician too. And it nailed my favorite drink. And yes, it must be made correctly!

• Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2016 at 14:08

Absinth? I’d rather drink Windex.

• Geoff on June 3, 2016 at 14:17

Agree with you 100%, Wilbur. Old Fashioned is my favorite and must be made properly. Though I do confess that when I’m feeling wild (or I’m in New Orleans) I switch it up to a Sazerac. Regardless it must be made correctly. Nothing pisses me off more than some ESFP “mixologist” trying to draw attention to themselves by messing with a classic.

Still I’m not entirely sure whether the drink list is intended to identify the drink you prefer or merely represent, metaphorically, your personality type in booze. If Richard doesn’t care for absinthe then both are equally problematic – kind of hard for me to envision him as the “Green Fairy”. Though he does fuck with you just for the hell of it and kick you in the ass if you get out of line and take things too far.

• Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2016 at 17:32

If we’re talking a straight cocktail in a chilled martini glass:

1. Perfect Manhattan. This is a classic Manhattan but 50/50 sweet and dry vermout. Markers is a good choice for the bourbon. Dark cherry or a twist. Surprise me. Always stirred, never shaken.

2. Kettle One, dirty. Stirred, never shaken.

3. Dry classic dry gin martini, one small olive I probably won’t eat. Stirred, never shaken.

…If I ever have a Cosmo, haven’t yet, I’ll insist they shake the shit out of that bitch and give me as many bubbles and ice particles as possible. Make sure it’s not silky.

• Wilbur on June 3, 2016 at 18:18

I can’t figure out the difference between actual vs. metaphorical. Seems like they should be the same.

The absolutely best mojito I have ever had was at the Düsseldorf airport. The bartender was an absolute stickler for the rules. It was painstaking to wait for, but absolutely delicious. That’s another drink that benefits from following the rules.

Richard, I love Manhattans. A bit of backstory: My wife loves gin and tonic. But ever time she orders one, the bar gushes over the gin, but when asked about the tonic, admit that “it comes from the gun.” They have no clue that the tonic is at least as important as their precious gin. Same with Manhattans. What vermouth do you use? What bitters? “Gosh, I dunno.” A restaurant I love in Charleston, SC, has a minimum of 10 bourbons, 10 quality vermouths, and 10 quality bitters. That’s a minimum of 1000 different Manhattans. I’ve visited twice, and tried 6 of them! All excellent. But at least 994 to go.

Thanks for the post. I learned there are more like me out there. My wife took the test and described it as fitting her, but left me perplexed because, to me, it sounds nothing like her. Lucky for me, my personality seems to be a great match for hers in the relationship department. At another site, I took a test for my kid. She and I are polar opposites. Helps to explain a lot of the head butting.

14. Gemma on June 3, 2016 at 14:22

So funny. INTP-A.

• Richard Nikoley on June 3, 2016 at 15:44

“So funny. INTP-A”

I am Jack’s Shocked Face. Never would have guessed. 😉

15. Eric on June 3, 2016 at 15:37

Ever had St George Absinthe Verte? Delightful.

PS: Fellow ENTP here. Took me years to understand that other people aren’t stimulated by debate the same way I am. A GF had to tell me, “my friends are scared to talk to you since you *question* everything they say.”

16. EDR on June 3, 2016 at 16:08

Been reading your blog for well over a year and this is my first time commenting. I think I took the Meyer Briggs in college and always thought it was a pile of BS…but I started noticing in recent years that I kept seeing these strange four letter personality types littered all over women’s online dating profiles. I tended to think they were being uppity or something and I’m not single anymore so I guess it doesn’t matter…but I went ahead and took the damn test:

INFJ-A “The Advocate”

I have to say…their description of what my personality is supposed to be like is almost eerily accurate…I guess this test isn’t BS after all. 🙂

Hmm, maybe if I end up single again this will help me get more dates…ha ha!

• Richard Nikoley on June 4, 2016 at 05:27

I’ve been aware of the thing for 10 or 12 years, never bothered, didn’t care. But taking even this simple one was rather eye opening. Perhaps free will is an illusion after all, as Sam Harris asserts, because the introspective accuracy of the thing is pretty uncanny. Quite interesting that there are about 16 different personality types and variations therein, that explain most everyone’s general behavior and attitude, down to just a few percentage points of the population.

I can’t see how it’s not of a certain value, in the appropriate context.

17. Alex on June 3, 2016 at 18:30

My entire life, when I took these tests I always came up as an INTJ (Architect/Mastermind) including the last time I took the very same test you linked to.

Somehow, today the result came back as an ISTJ (Logistician). I wonder how that happened. I’ve always been proud of being only 1% of the population so to be lumped in with the 13% group this time is strange. The INTJ description always fit me way better than the this ISTJ one, maybe this was just a fluke

18. Gordon on June 3, 2016 at 18:49

INTP here. Playing with Myers-Briggs ideas easily becomes an obsession that subsides and re-emerges from time-to-time.

I am almost INFP, my wife is strongly INTP, and it is amazing how perfectly that little difference explains the structure of our conflicts.

Question is, given the natural variation in personality types, each of which has pros and cons, and the fact that people seem to discover they fit a type after the fact, rather than choosing one from the list based on some assessment of relative merit:

A. How much credit does one really deserve for behaviors that follow naturally from one’s personality type?
    B. How much scorn do people of other types deserve for failing to live up to the ideals/values of one’s own personality type?

Not that everyone’s behavior is inflexibly locked into a Myers-Briggs pattern in all situations.

19. Sean II on June 4, 2016 at 09:02

Richard,

When you 3%ers need to get together, you’ll need some to organise it, innit.

Executive ESTJ-A.

Cool, quick test.

• gab on June 4, 2016 at 11:42

Me too.

20. KidPsych on June 4, 2016 at 08:18

Love this site (started my day with a cup of potato starch with my coffee), so I hope this doesn’t seem as if I’m commenting just to be an annoying twit. But… you did pick an area of interest to me as a psychologist, so I feel compelled to comment. The two dyads that capture my attention on the Myers-Briggs are the thinking-feeling and introvert-extrovert components. I think if you really dig into the personality literature on cognitive-emotional profiles, you’d find more concordance with levels of both than the converse. In other words, people with high emotional intelligence often happen to be clever and analytical in other ways. (Clinically, I work a lot with kids with ASD, so yes, I do see people with high analytical abilities and lower emotional intelligence). The introvert-extrovert dyad doesn’t seem particularly useful either – levels of both for me are dependent on environmental contingencies – at times I am super outgoing (especially in my work), while at others, I can withdraw. Your place on the life cycle would seem to impact this greatly – when I was single, I was much more likely to head out after work.

Others have looked into this. I don’t know if this is the best analysis of it, but it might interest others –

“The practical effect of this is that even though the MBTI claims to reveal a subjects’ inborn, unchanging personality type, as many as 75% of test takers are assigned a different type when they take the Myers-Briggs a second time.”

21. Hugh on June 4, 2016 at 09:22

Richard, it’s neat to see you entertain this idea. I’ve noticed over the years any mention of Meyers-Briggs on this blog was dismissed haughtily. I respect that you gave that up when someone important to you asked you to look into it.

I’ve always scored INTJ (Mastermind, often remarked as the personality type that forms 80% of Reddit) having taken it a dozen times over the last 15 years or so.

Recently I was able to resolve lifelong social anxiety and fear of strangers, and found myself answering these questions slightly differently now that I am actively engaging people out in the world in a way I have never done before.

Today is the first time I’ve ever scored differently – INFJ (The Advocate). You could knock me over with a feather because I consciously decided to be an advocate within the past month, using that exact word.

“INFJs tend to see helping others as their purpose in life, but while people with this personality type can be found engaging rescue efforts and doing charity work, their real passion is to get to the heart of the issue so that people need not be rescued at all.”

“INFJs find it easy to make connections with others, and have a talent for warm, sensitive language, speaking in human terms, rather than with pure logic and fact. It makes sense that their friends and colleagues will come to think of them as quiet Extroverted types”. This has been my experience of myself in the real world recently. I’m generally quiet but brimming with confidence and ready to talk to anybody at any time, so people aren’t experiencing me as introverted.

Online I still have a communication style that is more logical/factual. I’ve been messing around on Reddit recently changing the mode of my communications in comments, or rather practicing, and that has been an interesting experience having spent 20 years online communicating from a more Spock-like place. And I’ve sensed that I’ve thrown a few people off by changing styles within a conversation.

• Richard Nikoley on June 4, 2016 at 09:59

Hugh:

Yes, having more than a couple of decades online myself, I too have experimented with a number of different debate styles with differing results.

I wonder if I’d score differently on the test if I were to explicitly get in one of those commenting styles when answering the questions.

• Hugh on June 4, 2016 at 14:56

I’ve noticed you communicate in different ways on different topics. A contrast to others who strive for a consistent voice.

Not bad or good, but your method probably attracts a more diverse readership while at the same time occasionally alienating people who don’t know to wait a couple posts if they want to engage with a different Richard.

22. Hugh on June 6, 2016 at 07:40

More thoughts on Meyers-Briggs:

I have the experience that people of higher intelligence (of all types, not just intellectual) are more likely to be archetypal.

The harm I see in these tests is that they can be used to rationalize behavior and limit possibilities. “I don’t do things like that and I have the personality test to prove it.” At least I’ve seen that in myself.

I was trying to think of the utility for these tests and one would be to seek out friends and companions. I made an instant two-way bond with someone a week ago (second time in my life), and after seeing your post asked about her Meyers-Briggs. Wasn’t surprised to find she’s ENFP, a “natural” match for my personality type. The other natural match for me is the ENTP.

Finally, dare I suggest you look at astrological signs (not horoscopes, mind you). I am very much a Scorpio archetype, or so I found out this year. I mentioned this to an ex and she laughed saying, “No shit dummy, I’m a Scorpio addict. My best friend shares your birthday.” She saw me at a bar and walked straight up to me and effectively made me her boyfriend. I mapped all my friends from Facebook to their signs and discovered that sure enough my bonds with them align with their signs. Sagitarriuses are my buddies, I form a certain kind of emotional bond with Aries & Leos & Tauruses, and I have almost no significant friends in a handful of signs that astrology predicts aren’t very compatible. My business partner, with whom I teamed up for his networking abilities, is a Gemini….”The Networker.” My kids mother is an Aquarius, Scorpio/Aquarius is the worst match in the Zodiac, and the descriptions as to why are accurate in a way that gives me the chills. A hard collection of observations for me to discount.

• Glenda on June 6, 2016 at 08:26

Even more interesting is to look at the personality types of peoples’ sun signs AND their moon signs = 144 basic astrological personality types, not just 12 sun types. A fun book is this one:

I’ve often wondered if or how MTBI personalities jive with astrological sun/moon personalities…that might be fun for somebody to explore.

23. Edward Edmonds on June 28, 2016 at 09:21

So you’re a CUNT-A and I’m a PUSS-E (INFJ, an elite 1% of the population).

I took Myers-Briggs during boot camp. Not quite sure what the purpose was as it had no bearing on our careers or security clearances. Maybe it was used as a marketing research tool to make recruiting more effective.

I have taken a few different Myers-Briggs over the years and have always got the same results. I found this one in it’s description of my personality to be more spot on then the past ones.

BTW, Richard, I haven’t been to your blog in a few years, but I’m glad to see it’s still up and still IMAO one of the most honest evolving thought provoking blogs out there. Hold on let me wipe my face off.

My wife and I listened to your new podcasts, she thought your music was kind of faggy, but other then that we dug them. Take the compliment and keep up the good work.

Best wishes,
    Edward

• Richard Nikoley on June 28, 2016 at 09:54

Ha. Faggy bumper music.

Hope to revive the Podcast soon. Being interviewed myself in about an hour on Abel James’ video podcast, so perhaps that will provide some needed inspiration.

24. Shamus on August 27, 2018 at 05:35

100% Thinking? That sounds a little unhealthy…