The Self-Delusion of Libertarians

It knows no bounds (How Gary Johnson Could Win the Presidency).

Gary Johnson is an underdog, but he’s no fringe candidate or spoiler. He could be the next President of the United States.

<eyeroll>

Look, I’ve been there, so what I offer is not necessarily scorn, just a dose of reality. Don’t waste years on this nonsense like I did. And plus, being “libertarian” and engaging the force-backed political process is a contradiction in terms. The last thing you want is a “libertarian” in public office. Libertarians ought to be saying that nobody ought to hold the power of “public” office.

Libertarianism, vis-a-vis elected officials, should be like Buddhism: If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.”

Whatever your perception of a libertarian elected official is on a path to liberty and freedom, it’s wrong.

You will never vote your way out of this and voting in so-called libertarians is a sure way to destroy the whole ideal.

Z-Trail sport sandal Xero Shoes - camping hiking running walking travel

1. king of the one eyed people on June 18, 2016 at 14:24

“Don’t waste years on this nonsense like I did”

WTF? When was this decision made? Why wasn’t I consulted? I thought “free the animal” was a blog for libertarian paleo types. Should I change my beliefs and keep following the blog or find another blog?

• Richard Nikoley on June 18, 2016 at 14:42

Just don’t vote and you’ll do fine.

2. Bret on June 18, 2016 at 21:34

No biggie. After libertarians start getting elected and flush all their principles down the toilet, the philosophies they used to represent will slowly adopt a new name. Libertarianism used to be called liberalism.

• Richard Nikoley on June 18, 2016 at 21:43

Classical liberalism. It’s why I will not use the terms liberal and conservative, and use left / right.

3. thhq on June 21, 2016 at 07:52

“I’d rather be right than be president.”

Henry Clay

• Richard Nikoley on June 21, 2016 at 08:26

Can’t be both. It’s damn near the Law of the Excluded Middle.

4. John on June 23, 2016 at 13:08

Gary “Christians should be forced by government to bake gay cake” Johnson.

• Richard Nikoley on June 23, 2016 at 13:57

Are you shitting me? You mean to tell me that a “libertarian” running for president doesn’t uphold freedom of association, one of the most fundamental tenets?

See what I mean? That sort of shit destroys the ideas at the root.

• John on June 23, 2016 at 14:01
    • John on June 23, 2016 at 14:09

Actually when I said Christians and “gay cake” I was totally off base – his actual statement is Jews should be forced to bake Nazi cake, and thus is way worse, haha.

• Richard Nikoley on June 23, 2016 at 14:16

Unconscionable. That is as far from libertarianism and as far towards leftist “progressivism” as you can get.

• Bret on June 26, 2016 at 02:11

John, I remember having a wide-eyed WTF moment when I saw that on TV. To top it off, Johnson’s defense of his position doesn’t even come close to logical or coherent.

It is so obviously flawed that I wonder if he’s adopted it for political reasons. But it doesn’t matter. Either he’s a liar or an idiot, at least on that particular topic.