Socialism Is Perfectly Human But It Does Not Scale

As it is with so very many things in life, what works for one does not work for all. Or, more exactly: even stuff that works for one and their few does not work for another and their other few.

Leftism is cancer. It’s a massive troll on humanity, using its instincts against it in nefarious, political adventures of power, influence, collectivism, centralization, and looting. The elite class has been predominately leftist for decades, now. Rich entrepreneurs who think too highly of themselves to polemicize and loot, instead of just produce stuff people pay for, voluntarily, are usually too busy. Exceptions abound, of course, which goes to my point.

I posted this on Facebook, yesterday.

To fellow classical liberals AKA libertarians, lots of Independents, and to important extent, even Republicans.

First, stop using “liberal” to describe the left and Democrats. They are leftists. By using the concept “liberal,” you cede the foundational philosophical ground to them and trust me, there’s an ocean of difference between the great Greek “logisticians” in league with the classically liberal Enlightenment philosophers, and Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, etc., the forefathers of the left.

Second, turn off Fox and Limbaugh and all that stuff. Instead, know thine leftist enemy. Listen to NPR, read Salon, Vox, and other sources of leftist propaganda. Think of it as taking a course in the “art and direction” of Leni Riefenstahl.

What you desperately need to understand is the foundational ethics, morality, and principles upon which the left engages in its propaganda, such that you may strike at the root rather than hack at branches and shoots.

Fox News may be a great cloistered choir chamber for you, but if American culture is important, and what it represents, you need to understand core fundamentals that you’ll never get there. You’re going to have to do some grunt work and a lot of thinking, and writing. You cannot counter propaganda unless you understand it and to understand it, you must immerse yourself in it.

Be smart about this shit. The future is in all of our hands.

I have a number of French friends on Facebook, now, which affords me both the opportunity to get linked articles in the French language, and also to participate in their comments, in French—as perhaps a Guatemalan fresh out of the jungle might do, participating in “English,” in yours. I do OK, though.

Having lived there, I much prefer engaging with them on an intellectual level than with man-on-the-street-Americans. PaleoPhil, Philippe Delanghea, a Frenchman:

Hello Richard Nikoley … That’s an interesting point of view.

You spend time in France so you now how more to the left everything is, compared to the US. Even if I feel that the current president is somewhere in the middle and actually trying to do some reforms (like changing work law) the fact that eventually he has to include some requirements from communists (yes we still have them here, albeit at 3% but they still talk) is really annoying and thought provoking – like what you say that socialists have their roots it marxist ideology.

But then (and it’s a true comment, i’m not trying to launch into a polemic) when you say illiberal … it applies also to conservatives, on other topics.

I think that teaching the evolution theory is good, I think it’s better to accept gay people as they are instead of thinking that it’s a mortal sin and giving them medication or chopping their head off, I think that it’s good to give birth control capabililty to teenagers instead of telling them it’s a sin and having 17 years old girls marry because of unprotected back seat first time sex.

And I think (but this is a cultural bias, probably, or submission to propaganda) that reasonable access to health care should be part of the collective adhesion to this global illusion we call the nation-state.

I also think that the way the west handles islamism is wrong even if the invasion of Irak and the WMD story is an absolute shame.

So in other words, I also think that “on the right” there is a lot if “illiberality” if I may use this word.

I guess that what i’m saying is that the right is too tied with religion for my liking (and I guess that you are an atheist, I dont know ?) and it bothers me – a lot. So … it’s very difficult to have a black and white vision (it’s a bad pun and was not intended). How does your moral and ethics compass navigates this shit ? Of course if you tell me that you hate everybody and specially french-with-no-values it’s an easy way out 🙂

He’s pretty much right, in my own value judgments. This is something that’s completely common in France, and in my direct experience. I find French people uniquely honest in some very important ways. Read the above again. It oozes honesty, even in the face of challenge and disagreement.

It get’s an honest response.

Hey Philippe Delanghe.

Here’s the thing. I don’t necessarily disagree with all the social things you like. But even if I did, my response would be to associate with enough others who share those values and make it happen for yourselves.

The problem, however, in a collectivized and centralized social economy is that it attracts so many who don’t care to bear the expenses of their own desires and grand schemes. As Thatcher famously said, “The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money.”

Socialistic-based endeavors can work just fine on micro-scales, where most everyone is a stakeholder, and everyone but the very young and old are net contributors, and most importantly, everyone has important influence far greater than one vote in tens or hundreds of millions.

Think HG tribes. Think families, even extended families. Think small to medium sized businesses.

I’m for the smallest minority: the individual. And I’m also unwavering in my commitment to the Enlightenment principle of freedom of association which implies freedom of disassociation…just like freedom of religion implies freedom from any and all religion.

I explain more in this AHS12 talk:

I’m not always so kind. American-syle hubris-based-on-ignorance annoys the fuck out of me. It’s as though the chief problem for socialist Europeans is a lack of means or money; but for socialist Americans, the quotidian lack of basic brains is a far greater sin, for me.

In other words, I’d rather a pragmatic proclamation: we don’t care that it may not be “right,” may be theft; it’s our political philosophy, and people get to vote. Vote it, then. America has moral baggage, and it’s destroying the very root of morality far more effectively than the Commies ever could. They can’t be content with pragmatic calculation; they have to engender a sense of moral entitlement: some revelation, feeling, or personal prayer, or whatever indoctrination. Note that as even a rather leftist sympathising Frenchman, steeped in a secular, pragmatic, consequentialist, cartesian economic social culture, he nonetheless does not really put it the way American rightist or leftists do.

I get it. It’s tough to deal with Americans when so much of both their huge and good successes, and bad and miserable failures, are steeped in both nationalist and heavenly faith and fantasy, which is a redundancy.

…Eastern mysticism has nothing on the Yin and Yang that is America.

I’m not always so conciliatory.

Duh, economically illiterate people on the left AKA Democrats.

Supply and demand. They are linked, both drive the other, upwards and downwards. It’s an inexorable relationship.

The core reason that education and healthcare costs spiral ever upwards is that leftists, being fucktarded morons, too ignorant to understand kindergarten economics, always throw money at problems.

Supply and demand is inviolable in even the barest economically “free” economies (it requires hard, top-down communism to overrule it, with predictable paucity of supply problems….see Venezuela).

Throw money at a “problem,” the problem in these cases being ‘not enough free stuff’, you get a kindergarten-level economic education. Supply contracts and prices rise.

Jesus. Sometimes I have a desire to explain all of this, but shooting fucktarded economic illiteracy in barrels is too much fun. Sink or swim. Plus, I have an aversion to casting pearls before swine.

In my world, you can’t even get a democracy of three to agree.

People. You will get nowhere if you don’t buck every “trend.” In fact, you ought to be mindful of trends…like a stock trader who sells and shorts once everyone is keen to a stock.

In the practical sense, I’m wrong, you’re wrong, everyone is wrong all the time and the greatest thing about humans and big brains is that we have the capacity to discern our errors and strive, daily, to be a little less wrong than we were yesterday, last week, last year… and when we were children.

In a philosophical sense, some things are absolute, unless you want endless war, because that’s what it will mean. Do not fucking tread on me.

Absolute freedom of association and disassociation on all levels, no exceptions, just like religion. And it has an upside. You’re actually dealing with real people and their ideas, rather than the laughable fantasies of indoctrinated children.

So no, Gary Johnson, “libertarian” professional-politician presidential candidate for the contradiction-in-terms Libertarian Party…Jewish bakers do not have to bake a wedding cake for a NAZI wedding. It’s his stated position, on video. Seriously. On video. The “libertarian” presidential candidate either does not understand, or is in explicit disagreement with the most sacred core libertarian principle: freedom of association.

How fucked up is that?

And this is just how seriously fucked up America is, right now.

…But there’s not just reason for optimism, humanity is optimism. On large, humanity sources, migrates, changes perspectives and focus. The thing that is America is inarguably the most important thing that ever happened in human evolution, integrated with consciousness, ideas, logical identification (the Greeks) and philosophical inquiry (the Enlightenment; classical liberals). It was a country based on ideas and ideals, for the first time, not real estate and Lords.

I believe it’s come to the point where the nihilist left must be ignored, unless you can take on their ideas as I can, with one-half of my brain tied behind my back.

1. king of the one eyed people on July 9, 2016 at 15:10

27% repost.

• Richard Nikoley on July 9, 2016 at 17:04

Well, nearly 3 out of four ain’t bad.

2. BadBrad on July 9, 2016 at 15:13

Well after being a daily visitor for almost a decade and never posting a single word, I must say, I Enjoyed That!

Disclaimer: I just returned from New Hampshire 2016 PorcFest

• Richard Nikoley on July 9, 2016 at 17:13

Well, BadBrad, in your honor, I have just removed one of two cheapass pork steaks from the fridge, and I will proceed to cook it on my new, 14,000 BTU Char Griller, the same devil in machinery in which i cooked a 1″ thick NY Steak to perfect medium rare in 4 minutes, just last night (grilled corn on cob and a baked gold on the side).

Check my FB page later for a pic.

Thanks, dude. People have no idea how I love to hear from longtime readers, first time commenters. It’s more motivational than anything else.

3. Woodchuck Pirate on July 10, 2016 at 12:38

thhq,

Sorry, forgot to include the link, my 57 years of age is showing:

Woodchuck Pirate
    aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

4. thhq1 on July 10, 2016 at 05:30

Two things the world expects from America, for good or bad

Dollars
    Soldiers

Our politicians give them what they want. No brains required.

5. Jen W. on July 10, 2016 at 07:55

Your main point here: that socialism is fine on small and maybe even medium scale, but does not work on larger scales, finally hit home while I worked at a local health foods grocery co-op. While I’m all for co-op like operations, they must stay small enough to work well. This grocery co-op did not (perhaps still doesn’t) understand this. As they grow, they are becoming more and more corporate, while trying to “pretend” to still be a co-op, even as they open a third location in late summer/early fall. The other thing about these co-ops (usually run by rich or upper middle class ex-hippy baby boomers) is (at least at my former place of employment) they get a lot of hipsters who just want a cool place to work, without actually having to do the necessary work as employees. There is, as you said in your post, this moral entitled superiority feeling in the place. That very moral entitlement, is what rips at the fabric of a very good idea that works on a much smaller scale. A “road to hell is paved with good intentions taken too far” kinda thing. Dog forbid anyone realize good intentions can be taken to far. . .

• thhq on July 10, 2016 at 08:05

I live in a Progressive place. The city is incapable of replacing its city hall yet has a program to end global warming. Violent crime is rapidly increasing, but this is not to be unexpected in a place where legal bud is so expensive and meth tweakers roam freely. Plenty of tolerance for the most dangerous. When you think globally the locals bear the costs.

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 08:47

You smart and observant gal, Jen W.

I like that.

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 09:32

“The city is incapable of replacing its city hall yet has a program to end global warming.”

Well, that wins the pithy comment Internet for the day. LOL.

The Dunning-Kruger effect, combined with incompetence in a smoothie of Solipsism is palpable.

The left: a million LOLs per day.

6. Woodchuck Pirate on July 10, 2016 at 09:31

Aversion to principle releases a menace of pragmatism. This menace has run out the clock.

The right is left.

There are always lies about the money trail but the money trail does not lie. I have never found one babyboomer that has refused to sign up for social security entitlement benefits. Furthermore every shitboomer not yet 62 years of age that I’ve made inquiry to has boasted their intent to petition the state to deliver their entitlement. It is common knowledge that the shitboomers have zero intention of ever paying one thin dime of their national debt, and it was created with zero intention of repayment. It is my understanding that specific carve-outs of the Sherman & Clayton acts establish the criminal medical monopoly, which is the venue where the medicare entitlements (120 trillion dollars unfunded SS promises) are to be facilitated through aggression.

The demands of shitboomers for socialism security entitlements is psychopathic behavior. There exists zero evidence of conscience in shitboomer socialism security demands, which correlates with void of conscience in the regressive left agenda. There is no disparity between the left and the right regarding psychopathic (no conscience) demands for socialism security entitlements. The right is left. The conflict remains statism versus freedom.

The decision making necessary for free men to navigate the destruction of civilization by shitboomers is primal. Statism is not differentiated globally. All nations are dystopian failed states when benchmarked to freedom. If it is accepted that the global economy is a balance sheet, and all nations are mixed economy (socialism) than there has been no intention since the onset of nations for freedom to be established or sustained. A free man is not conflicted by the 99.99% failure rate of humans to accept freedom. A free man does not belong to the 99.99% of humans and invokes reason to enjoy objective observations and withdraw consent and participation with the cannibals when opportunity arises.

It is my understanding that enough generations have passed since socialism saturated the globe to effect the devolution of economic activity and inalienable rights. There exists nothing more than strategy implementation to navigate shitboomer hell. The shitboomers led by the regressive left have established at least two forms of harvesters that will disburse with the dirty work of clearing the walking carrion.

The primary harvester is of course the state itself, populated exclusively by psychopaths committed to every terror the present collection of machinery can carry out. Their internal terror of freedom is an obstacle that motivated their endeavor to climb upon the citizenry in the first place. They will rejoice during and after the “lesser” members of their species’ elimination.

The secondary harvester is the free shit army which of course includes every shitboomer (babyboomer demanding socialism security entitlements). Of course the eldest members will be overrun by the younger harvesters. Such is the nature of cannibalism.

The free man requires a fixation on withdrawal of consent and participation. He has no dog in the fight and has built skill over decades of misanthropy. This free man sees babyboomers as a commodity like nightcrawlers enjoying a summer rainstorm. Harvesters walk effortlessly across the lawn with flashlight being careful not to shine directly upon the prey lest they alert them and effect their retreat deeper into their hole(s). Of course anyone who has picked up nightcrawlers knows there’s some skill to be used. Often the nightcrawler grips tight the surface of the hole while the harvester pulls. At this point the harvester may pull harder, and risk breaking the crawler in half. Alternatively the harvester may squeeze the crawler’s head until it weakens its grip on the hole and succumbs to being slipped out of the hole. Often this decision making is dependent on whether the harvester has any personal interest in the crawler as commodity. If it is to be sold who cares if it’s brain damaged?

Free men are not harvesters. Free men simply put as much distance as possible between themselves and the free shit army. Free men do not seek the conversion of others. For instance free men don’t waste time trying to pull a shitboomer from their hole. Such an act would require great effort to squeeze their head long and hard enough to draw them away from their hole. Even if they were successful in dragging a shitboomer out of the muck, what good is a braindamaged shitboomer?

Karl Denninger may be awakening, but I ain’t holdin’ my breath.:

Woodchuck Pirate
    aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

• thhq on July 10, 2016 at 10:10

In 2 years I go from being part of the solution to being part of the problem. I feel entitled to something I’ve been paying into for the last 40 years. Yet my contribution wasn’t going into a retirement savings account, but into a giant Ponzi pay-as-you-go scheme managed by politicians.

I’ve thought about SS/Medicare as a giant laundry basket full of old people being drawn up to heaven….no rescue lines hanging out for younger people to grab and cling to….just endless payroll deductions….carrot-and-stick…

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 14:38

Dude, you’re just toally crazy.

…Just wanted to get that off. Water carrying for those who go ‘OMG, I’ve never read something like this.’

Carry on Prirate; Sir.

7. Todd on July 10, 2016 at 11:13

It’s been a number of years now, but you first turned me onto Bastiat and the parable of the broken window, which subsequently really opened my mind up to that which is seen and unseen. See, I was a politically socialized lefty growing up with unions and blue collar blood, but I wasn’t completely suffering from cognitive dissonance and stupidity (perhaps that’s redundant). I still was capable of thought and dot connecting, but I didn’t have much exposure to other viewpoints. Couple of other things that hit home for me around this time was a Thomas Sowell quote, “what exactly is your ‘fair share’ of what someone else has worked for,” Bastiat again, “government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else,” and Lysander Spooner, “the principle that the majority have the right to rule the minority, practically resolves all government into a mere contest between two bodies of men, as to which of them shall be masters, and which of them slaves.”

A centralized government makes less and less sense each day as the population grows larger and the world grows smaller. No two people are alike or want the same things. If you live in a metropolitan area, it’s probably unlikely that you live in a homogeneous area where all your neighbors are of the same background. Even if that were true, there’s so much difference between individuals. People can’t even agree on what’s for dinner. And the fact that the two-party system is largely hinging on just a few issues is asinine. Your go-to line of a 1/300th million say in your own affairs can’t hit the nail more true.

But it continues to boggle the mind. People wear their flag pins and “I Voted Today” stickers with hubris and complete abandon for the past several months of congregating and complaining to one another about their “choices” (it’s binary, you know) and “the lesser of the two evils” when that fateful day comes. But hey, least they can bitch about the aftermath, but if you didn’t vote you sure as hell can’t. Oh, and almost forgot, if you don’t love it, you can leave it. No, you can go fuck yourself, because if America is truly supposed to be the land of the free then I’ll say and do as I goddamned please as long as I don’t hurt a hair on another human’s head, because I am an individual and I am responsible for what I do. That is freedom.

8. Woodchuck Pirate on July 10, 2016 at 12:36

thhq,

Stefan Molyneaux addressed the “getting something from social security” angle in 2011.

There is a maxim that states “he that comes into equity must come to court with clean hands”.

I say, govern yourself accordingly and carry a rock.

Woodchuck Pirate
    aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

9. Jen W. on July 10, 2016 at 13:11

Kind of off topic, but a former co-op co-worker posted a link about 28 common racist attitudes and behaviors: https://odinsblog.tumblr.com/post/127808197400/28-common-racist-attitudes-and-behaviors Quite the study. It seems that whom ever wrote this thinks it’s impossible for white people to be receive racism.

• Jen W. on July 10, 2016 at 13:19

Sorry, should have looked at sentence structure before posting: That should read *receivers* of racism.

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 15:23

The racist problem in America is blacks. Most of them are hardcore racists.

• Jen W. on July 10, 2016 at 15:36

Yeah, and they seem to think that all white people are racist, whether a white person means to be racist or not. What I don’t quite understand is why this person felt the need to define racism as “racial prejudice + institutional power”. Why add “institutional power”? Is racial prejudice not enough?

• Bret on July 10, 2016 at 17:36

“The racist problem in America is blacks. Most of them are hardcore racists.”

On the other hand, I am seeing some uplifting improvements. I have run across more interracial couples in the last month than I ever have before (all black+white). This in Texas, by the way. Each couple had children as well.

I’m not pretending to know what percentage of the population this applies to, and not discounting the real racists out there. But I think a lot of the “racial tension” flying around is big news company bullshit. Sensationalizing outlier antics & implicitly extrapolating them onto everyone fitting whatever demographic.

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 17:57

That’s fine. But of all the racists I’ve ever known, all black and Japanese.

• Bret on July 10, 2016 at 18:02

I’ve run across quite a few white racists in my time. Seem to be heavily concentrated across the southeast.

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 18:07

That would make some intuitive sense. I spent about 10 months in Chattanooga, TN, 1979, I was 18. Drove there from Portland, OR, in 2 1/2 days. Pretty much worst year of my life. But I never got to any racist element. The fundamentalist Baptist shit overshadowed all, back then.

The drive back was straight through, 45 hours. Stops for gas and bod functions only.

10. BadBrad on July 10, 2016 at 17:22

Richard,
    http://porcfest.com. Give it a quick click. It’s why I mentioned it in the “disclaimer”. Most were heavily armed, like AK-47 armed, absolutely peaceful. And conversations were several standard deviations above the cultural median. Go figure.

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 17:54

I’m not clicking. it would only confirm my bias that an armed society is a polite society.

• BadBrad on July 10, 2016 at 18:09

It’s why I have kept coming back. You’re such a goddamn handful. But it’s still a violation of aristotelian logic.

• BadBrad on July 10, 2016 at 18:18

But yes, I got, we all laughed when I read your comment!

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 18:20

Only a handful? Damn, a shit load woud be better and then of course, in college, we had to come up with something more than a shit load.

We settled on “Island Load.” I know…. you had to be there….

• BadBrad on July 10, 2016 at 18:43

Bret,
      Correlating to your post, an elitist idea from `150 YRS. AGO. World peace can only come about until there is an amalgumation of the races. Fredrick Nietzsche. Who know”s?

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 19:00

I used to say that everyone will eventually be brown.

I can see Nietzsche’s logic.

But I didn’t account for a lot of things, the principal one being how culture it so untwined with race and it is vastly more important to most people and changes by an evolution that must not be forced.

Culture is a curious thing. It can kill us or shed a light on a better path.

11. BadBrad on July 10, 2016 at 18:50

I know to be very careful entering comments here because logical fallacies and let’s call it bullshit don’t fly. The irony is all the vino being consumed here in the “flyover” don’t favor high order reason. Oh well, enjoy my “island load” of bullshit.

• Richard Nikoley on July 10, 2016 at 19:02

You’ve done well BadBrad. Drop by again soon.

• BadBrad on July 10, 2016 at 19:17

Or don’t. “Free market”

• BadBrad on July 10, 2016 at 19:21

it has been my pleasure with all sincerity.

Brad, Jen and Mel

12. BadBrad on July 10, 2016 at 19:52

Sorry, just viewed your comment. Is culture not always forced? Art being the overriding example. Perhaps that in of itself is an example of non coercive cultural change. Maybe it is the inverse. What about “deep state” influence ie. Goerge soros et al. I could name many more billionaires, intellectuals politicians etc.. This is just academic. What ever that means. It’s been around forever and well documented since at least Machiavelli. And I know I should go to bed but fun is fun. It’s almost eight in the Siearra Nevada range, what’s the cocktail for tonight? Just started commenting and soon to be blocked. Good times

13. LaFrite on July 11, 2016 at 02:06

Hey, I did not know PaleoPhil was French!

Anyway, I think that behind all of this shite, the problem is one of chaotic vs linear thinking. Mass scale politics does not embrace chaos, they are the result of linear thinking. Linear dynamics can only be local, small-scale, because then, the constraints of the chaotic environment can behave as a cushion or safety valve for the by-products of linear dynamics (which are once again only approximations for they are part of a chaotic whole). That is why HG tribes thrived for a long long time before the linear and even exponential boom of the recent 10k years or so (blame it on climate shift if you will, we indeed entered a warmer and more comfortable period).

Today, we are (I think) reaching a climax in this enormous blunder which is large scale collectivism, the push of small scale linear dynamics (that only work well if kept at a very small scale) to enormous scales. What are the reasons for it ? They are kinda complex … one of them might be the appeal of the successes of linear dynamics, so we want more of that, and we thereby modify our view of the world and ourselves in order to achieve bigger scale successes by adopting linear politics and strategies on larger human systems.

Since our world is fundamentally chaotic, let’s not blind ourselves: the very dynamics that put us into this situation is part of this chaos physics and will precipitate the whole human world into some unknown state, but one the transition into which will have allowed the dissipation of much potential energy. When things settle again, the survivors will have forgotten what happened, most likely, and revert to small scale societies, simply because it is our natural way of living.

Conclusion: It is only a matter of energy flow. If too much is stored, sooner or later it will be dissipated because of chaotic dynamics. We have done just that (dissipating stored energy) and will soon become irrelevant again.

14. thhq1 on July 11, 2016 at 05:49

Riding towards Galicia and certain death seems to fit the general theme of scale…

“And their faces looked so happy, as though there was no war on and they were not sitting in a train which was taking them to positions in the great and bloody battles and massacres but at the card tables in a Prague cafe.

‘I never imagined,’ said Svejk after one game, ‘when I had nothing in my hand and swapped all four of my cards, that I should pick up an ace. What the hell do you think you would do to me with your king? I smash your king before you know where you are.’

And while they were smashing the king with the ace, far away at the front kings were smashing each other with their serfs.”

We hope for competent leaders but we haven’t had one for decades….and things aren’t looking too rosy on this electoral cycle….we’re biding our time riding on a train headed towards certain disaster….

• Richard Nikoley on July 11, 2016 at 06:40

Saw a screen clip of a tweet by someone yesterday.

“Is Quentin Tarantino directing 2016?”

• thhq1 on July 11, 2016 at 09:16

Trouble ahead trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind

15. Rita on July 11, 2016 at 09:26

I’m curious about your opinion regarding money and education. You say that you can’t just throw money at the problem – and I quite agree. However, you can’t just throw good intentions at the problem either (here, I’m thinking of the abysmal failure that is Teach For America). NPR (Boo. Hiss – I know) discussed a study wherein they showed schools with more money had better performing students. This isn’t a big shocker. I went from a meagerly-funded public school system to a private liberal arts college and was DEFINITELY a fish out of water. Money does correlate to better education, in my experience. Now, whether or not said education is philosophically or actually worth a damn is beside the point. But, the ability to read, write, communicate, and perform math and science circus tricks is definitely more honed at better-funded schools. I guess my question then, isn’t money at least a step toward a more level playing field when it comes to the American (mis)education?

• Richard Nikoley on July 11, 2016 at 09:44

I think it’s confusing variables and their input to create the illusion of cause-effect, more money=better results.

More of less money, more or less results.

Easily the biggest factor overlooked is a strong, tight, caring familial unit, and it starts with mom, dad, and whatever grandparents are still around.

16. Woodchuck Pirate on July 11, 2016 at 10:43

Richard,

Thanks for hosting your website. I prefer to walk the lunatic fringe of society rather than be engulfed by the stench of what lies beneath the bell curve. Out here, the moon is never common, and things that move are heard. I’ve heard and read a lot of art that suggested darkness moves, especially in urban settings, where nobody listens. I hear their darkness. It does not call to me like the wild dogs in the woods. Still I listen.

Enjoy your day,

Woodchuck Pirate
    aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

• Richard Nikoley on July 11, 2016 at 14:16

You too, Raymond. Start a campfire, now and then.

17. Woodchuck Pirate on July 11, 2016 at 11:01

BadBrad,

Thanks for pointing toward the “Tragedy & Hope”. I’m preconditioned toward tragedy. Eight years of Mr Nobel Peace Bombs O’bama has eroded the curb appeal of any shingle that says “hope”. I’ll give the site a visit and scan for conscious misanthropic beauty.

Regarding my posts and your enjoyment, I’ve never written anything in my life that was not primarily a conversation with self. It does not seem reasonable that a person should write away from best ears (their own). I enjoyed your posts. Please write more.

Woodchuck Pirate
    aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

• BadBrad on July 11, 2016 at 15:15

Woodchuck,
      I had the great pleasure of meeting the “administrator” of Tragedy and Hope this summer in New Hampshire. It becomes surreal or hopefully just serendipitous, life that is. At any rate after having an internal “symposium” Platonic intent, with Richard Grove and Richard Nikoley and a very few other freedom minded intellectuals to suddenly chat with Richard here or discuss “deep” matters? with Mr. Grove has been, for me, life fulfilling. If a may be so bold I would start at http://peacerevolution.podomatic.com episode 41. 5 part series with John Taylor Gatto. I think you might enjoy it!

18. thhq on July 13, 2016 at 08:20

It’s been 5 years since this was written but IMO it’s where we’re headed. At the biggest possible scale things break down. Death by decapitalization. The Fed and Wall Street are joined at the hip on this. It’s not just Progressivism.

When I started working in the paper industry 40 years ago bigger was better. Companies built greenfield plants with billions of dollars, and were fiercely independent and competitive.

Around 1990 something snapped. The days of Michael Milkin. From that time on, capital was diverted from organic expansion and competition to expansion by merger. Small and profitable local companies were feed for large companies which were not necessarily profitable but had the money to buy them. And close them, eliminating jobs and factories in the name of “economics of scale”. Bigger was, and is, always better.

Our industry was small and backward compared to the banking and auto industries. The carnage is seen in small towns like Flint MI and Aberdeen WA, and in big cities like Baltimore and Detroit. What’s worse is that the responsible parties are gone. No one has a clue as to how to rebuild these wrecks. Or any desire either.

Financial gymnastics like buying back your own stock, and massaging broken egos with Black Lives Matter, are the order of the day. Not building new Rouge River plants or Grand Coulee Dams. No one knows how anymore.

• Richard Nikoley on July 13, 2016 at 08:28

Indeed. People think they are complaining about “capitalism,” but what they’re really complaining about is monetism and debtism.

• thhq on July 13, 2016 at 10:26

In our current electoral cycle I don’t see any clear improvement. Trump is a veteran user of easy money like Milkin. If Clinton wins business goes on as usual for him. Clinton is a veteran aider-and-abettor, who would let quantitative easings continue forever. There’s a chance that Trump might help recapitalize, but saying that Mexico has to pay for a wall (and not us), and talk about making deals on debt, implies a lot of song-and-dance financial games and no substantial improvements in our infrastructure. As far as Clinton goes the only thing that will get built is more Planned Parenthood abortion mills. In either case almost all the money has to flow to entitlements.

• Richard Nikoley on July 13, 2016 at 12:04

“In either case almost all the money has to flow to entitlements.”

This is what the economically illiterate leftists (but I repeat myself) do not understand. “Entitlements” at all levels, federal, state, county and local increasingly move into the “unfunded liabilities” column.

Once less than half of the population is working to pay for more than half of the population to live lavish, 100-300k lifestyles from mid-50s on, something will give or there will be blood flowing in the streets.

It’s simple math. You can’t continually increase various latter-year retirement benefits with decreasing fecundity. The Ponzi scheme doesn’t work. You can borrow and monetize, but eventually the inflation overcomes that tightrope too.

Europe understands this and the solution was to import millions of 7th Century, Dirt-Scratching Savages in order to work and contribute to all the lazy, old, and fat on the lavish dole.

I can’t wait to see it all collapse. Armani suits and Gucci shoes in soup lines.

• thhq1 on July 13, 2016 at 13:01

“It’s all relative. Given the alternatives, I would vote for Mr. Trump because he may only destroy the U.S. economy, but Hillary Clinton will destroy the whole world.”

Marc Faber

Not much to get excited about either way IMO.

• Hap on July 14, 2016 at 08:53

I agree……
      You can’t necessarily blame monetarism although that is the tool politicians found favorable to their reelection and social engineering goals, Friedman advanced monetarism with the support of his hefty intellect as a way to control the value of money in the absence of a reliable gold standard. What occurred that he did not quite understand or anticipate that this would create a volatile and lucrative market for money trading that now far outstrips real markets and sucks up tremendous capital for no productive purpose. Governments get cheap money from the fed that finances schemes with Wall Street using the cheap money to play in their trading casino. Big loser…..Main Street…..the rest of us. Notice that all the bailouts and government debt financed make work spending has done little.

This is not capitalism but the new generation having grown up with “monetism and debtism” has been brainwashed that it is.

Real markets find value by testing falsifiable experiments. It is learning by being allowed to fail that informs economic activity. In fair markets not guaranteed by government or over regulated ,bad ideas starved of capital and allowed to die…….or change.

• Bret on July 14, 2016 at 10:55

Well said by all above. The frustrating epilogue to all this pandemic ignorance of markets is a passionate collective demand for yet more regulation…more of the same stuff that castrated markets of their inherent disciplinary capabilities in the first place.

• thhq on July 14, 2016 at 11:25

When only the biggest are allowed to succeed, individualism is the casualty. All those financial stimuli were SUPPOSED to bail out mortgages gone bad. But our skidrow stimulus wasn’t designed as a rescue mission for the needy but as a pawnshop for the wealthy. The individual mortgageholders couldn’t qualify for the money and lost their homes. They had nothing left to pawn.

Land of Lincoln went under today. Another undercapitalized Obamacare co-op. Too bad Rubio didn’t make the big show. He more than anyone recognized how to derail the big experiment: MAKE IT PAY. Without Rubio the risk corridors would have slush funded the co-ops forever.

19. BadBrad on July 13, 2016 at 12:27

Richard,
    Something I have tried to explain to the lads at work. If the pension is earning, on 3 year average, 1.3% and needs 8% to meet it fiduciary responsibility??? Bond holders won’t be the only victims, Central States pension anyone? Detroit, I could go on. Best to cash out, pay the penalty and taxes, and do something else. Ponzi!

• thhq1 on July 13, 2016 at 13:14

My private pension doesn’t cash out. But at least the company saved the fund when they went bankrupt. And unlike public pensions it’s about 70% funded. Still, to be on the safe side I started collecting at age 61.

I worked in the same industry that Gordon Gekko raided in Wall Street (though it was not Teldar). We lasted longer because we were the predator. But the company known as Smurfit Stone eventually sank under the weight of $5 billion in debt.

20. Woodchuck Pirate on July 13, 2016 at 13:40

Song for these days

Woodchuck Pirate
    aka Raymond J Raupers Jr USA

• Hap on July 15, 2016 at 08:28

I am not sure I can buy into the idea that socialism scales down let alone up. This is well documented in the diaries of captain of mayflower and the attempted establishment of the first communal settlement at Plymouth. Their commune nearly failed by starvation in the commune owned means of production until he made provision for a private ownership element of farming. In this case the original socialism was religious motivated. Modern socialism requires an enforced secularism as the state is ceded total power. Private property is the enemy of the modern militantly secular state…….but the Chinese took a page out of the pilgrim experiment in capitalism and has become a powerhouse.

• Richard Nikoley on July 15, 2016 at 11:43

I’m admittedly doing a wordplay, poetic license, writing for effect, whatever.

I’m talking about being socially oriented, as social animals, but in the context of absolute freedom of association and disassociation. Of course, freedom of association is absolutely what State and institutional socialism do not permit. It would collapse if they did.

21. Hap on July 16, 2016 at 13:15

No problem. I slightly overreacted to a non issue.

22. Jen W. on July 17, 2016 at 13:50

Not quite sure where this fits, but I laughed my ass off listening to this podcast by Sonnie Johnson with Milo Yiannopoulos: