Braised Beef Short Ribs

I think there may perhaps be no finer, tastier, more succulent food than a nicely done braised beef short rib with the proper straining and reduction of the braising stock to a thick consistency.

So let’s get started. For a review of the various ways and cuts I’ve done in the past, see here, here, here, and here.

IMG_0237

Stock, red wine, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, and sage

Started about 9:30 am. Seasoned the meat with salt & pepper, then chopped the leaves of the thyme, rosemary, and sage, rubbed it all over them and let them sit dry for 30 minutes. I then covered them with the bottle of red wine, and just let it sit out on the counter for the next four hours.

About 2:30 pm, I removed the meat and placed the marinade in a large saucepan on high to reduce by about half. I opted to use a good amount of coconut oil in a very hot fry pan to brown the meat. As you can see, it does a very fine job of browning.

IMG_0243

At that point, I placed all in my covered braising pot, meat on the bottom. Oven to 375F. Chopped up 2/3 of the carrots, skin & all. Chopped the onion, skin and all, 2 cloves of garlic chopped, skin and all, and the mushrooms, chopped. Everything goes on top of the meat, covering it in a layer.

No added seasoning.

Now I pour the reduced marinade over everything, and also one quart of the unsalted Kitchen Basics Real Beef Stock, hands down the best and I have tried them all.

Into the oven at 3 pm, and it was about 6 pm or so when I checked and it was done.

Proceeded to get potatoes to boil, and then carefully removed the ribs so as to not have them fall apart, put them in a covered dish, in the oven at 140 keep warm setting.

The wine marinade and quart of stock had reduced down substantially, but very thick. Strained it and de-fatted it with a fat separator, a very essential kitchen tool. Then that went on the stovetop and I added about 1/2 quart of fresh stock to thin it down and complete the sauce.

IMG_0246

Plain mashed russets made with modest butter, half & half, and seasoning. On the side is a simple green salad like this:

IMG_0223

Very simple green leaf and chopped green onion. The vinaigrette is classic French, with Maille Dijon Originale, extra virgin olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Pinch or so of salt & pepper.

Beatrice said it was not only the best of the short ribs I’ve done in the past, but my best dish ever. It was for four, none left. Looks like the red wine marinade with the three herbs is a definite winner. The succulent meat really took on the thyme and sage very nicely, with only a mild hint of the often overpowering rosemary.

…And oh, yes, I just ordered some white plates and bowls from Amazon for better presentations going forward.

1. king of the one eyed people on August 6, 2016 at 15:00

Best dish ever? That’s a big call. You’ve done some fucking good dishes.

• Richard Nikoley on August 6, 2016 at 17:49

I didn’t agree with my wife. But the beef was so succulent, so gently infused, I understood.

2. Todd on August 8, 2016 at 07:12

What type of pan do you use for braising?

I love short ribs. They have a distinct taste, grill rather well, but they definitely shine when slow cooked.

• Richard Nikoley on August 8, 2016 at 07:40

I have a heavy stock pot and lid that I used this time. In the oven.

3. thhq1 on August 8, 2016 at 19:33

Looks good. I use a crock pot for the braising. When the ribs are falling-apart tender I take them out of the liquid and put them into a Pyrex dish. I give them about 15 minutes at 450F to dry the outside surface. The liquid gets defatted, then reduced to gravy thickness to serve over the crusty ribs.

4. Alesia on August 11, 2016 at 18:26

A few of your recipes I’ve tried, and they’ve always turned out awesome. I’ve never made short ribs before, I’ll have to try.

The best recipe I’ve cooked recently was pollo à la basura. I’m thinking a hybrid between that, and short ribs might be delish.

• Richard Nikoley on August 11, 2016 at 18:45

I love to hear that. I don’t always write stuff out as a formal recipe.

• Alesia on August 12, 2016 at 18:59

It’s refreshing to see meals that have ingredients listed, but no measurements. Reminds me of asking my Grandmother for recipes. How much flour I’d ask. Just enough where it comes together, she’d reply. How much? Well, maybe a cup or so…
      Once the basics of the language of cooking is learned, then one can expand. We use slang, adjectives, and put everything together more creatively.

• Richard Nikoley on August 12, 2016 at 21:21

Thank you Alesia. This is exactly why I have declined offers over the years to promote my cooking stuff. Don’t want the pressure. I blog this stuff for people who want to get it, maybe pass it on.

5. RMcSack on August 11, 2016 at 20:08

Short ribs are the best. I basically follow the same steps but I like to do mine in my Instant Pot pressure cooker. That way I can sear them, remove the meat, deglaze, and dump everything back in the same pot. With the pressure it only takes about 45 minutes to cook through and I can just let it mellow on low until I’m ready. Normally I’m not a device guy but that thing is a game changer for me, especially for the tougher, connective tissue heavy cuts of meat. Comes in damn handy for beans too.

6. Phil on August 15, 2016 at 05:37

Richard, why do you remove the fat? Is it for health reasons, or a flavor thing? I always leave it in, mainly because I am lazy and don’t own a fat separator, but it doesn’t seem to do any harm either.

However, I also don’t know shit about proper culinary practice.

• Richard Nikoley on August 15, 2016 at 08:15

I mainly do it for taste and texture reasons. Fat can adversely affect that, in soups, braises, stews and sauces. But it’s a preference thing. There was only a little in this particular dish so it would have likely been OK.