My Fat-Burning Man Video Podcast Interview with Abel James

FBM-Richard_Nikoley

“Eating Well on $10 a Week, Why Flour is Fattening & The Potato Hack”

It was really a whirlwind of an interview and a lot of fun. Abel James and I covered much ground I’ve never covered before in various previous interviews.

On this episode, you’ll learn:

• A simple way to eat well on $10 a week
  • Why adding vitamins to wheat might actually make it more fattening
  • Why all carbs are not created equal
  • A surprising discovery about starch in hunter-gatherer diets
  • How to get the best workout ever (for free)
  • Why it’s important to be wrong sometimes
  • The best way to use bacon
  • And much more…

We also cover living off grid quite a bit, some mild critiques of both paleo and Low-Carb paradigms, and a good bit on various aspects of nutrient density that you might find surprising—like that an equivalent caloric portion of plain cooked potatoes is on a par with the same calories in a portion of red meat, and why.

You have all the options over at the Fat-Burning Man post. You can listen or download, watch on video, or even read the transcript. And, the transcript contains a number of links to a lot of things we discussed.

Here’s just a few I’ll add for special emphasis and more info in general about the things discussed:

Z-Trail sport sandal Xero Shoes - camping hiking running walking travel

1. Rob2 on August 12, 2016 at 21:16

One of your best posts Richard, Thank you for dispensing
    some of the most common sense, or uncommon sense, on the video with
    Abel James regarding food and lifestyle I have seen in long time. I learned a lot.

• Richard Nikoley on August 12, 2016 at 21:31

Pay it forward, sir.

I watched it twice to critique myself, and I do have them but damn, what I wanted to convey came across pretty well, if you can get past my ugly face.

I could have done that for hours. I’m bursting while having bouts of fatigue over shit I could write but for the general ennui that seems to strike me more often.

I’ll push through it, as I always do.

2. king of the one eyed people on August 13, 2016 at 20:24

Colpo is paywalling. $9.90 a month. I wonder how that will go? I think I know.

• Richard Nikoley on August 13, 2016 at 20:28

He told me in an email a bit ago he was going to do this and he didn’t care if he only had one customer.

I think what’s more important to him is denying the entitlement.

• king of the one eyed people on August 13, 2016 at 21:01

I bought his book as a token of gratitude for his online content. There’s no way in hell I’d pay $9.90 a month though. Personally if I were paywalling I would just charge a token amount like $0.99 or even $0.25 per m to test the price. How about, the first 1,000 subscriptions are free, the next 1,000 are $0.99 and go up in increments of $1 per 1,000 threshold thereafter? Getting the pricing wrong on something like this can be suicide.

I honestly hope he does well. If he can monetise his efforts that’s better for everyone otherwise I would guess he’ll probably stop blogging.

• Richard Nikoley on August 13, 2016 at 21:34

Well, he can always just keep writing to however many subscribers and compile edited articles into a book later.

Actually something I’ve thought of. I have about 4,200 posts so easily enough for 300 pages of “best of.”

• pinkface on August 16, 2016 at 15:19

How about a “Paleo New Testament”? Out with all the old dogma and in with the new “enlightened” view of paleo.

• Richard Nikoley on August 16, 2016 at 17:19

That is not a bad idea. How about this. Have you read The Manifesto? It’s accessible via the menu.

Care to give me three or more good suggestions for improvement in exchange for giving them very serious and thoughtful consideration?

3. Tim M on August 13, 2016 at 14:36

Richard, what do you me by “eating well”? Is that a well balanced diet that’s about 2000 calories per day? What would one eat for $10/week that would be sustainable as far as proper nutrients and enough calories to maintain weight?

• Richard Nikoley on August 13, 2016 at 16:14

Soups and stews, primarily, heavy on the veggies, light on the meat. Oat groats for breakfast.

I don’t normally eat this way all week, but 2-4 days are pretty damn close.

• king of the one eyed people on August 13, 2016 at 17:26

I manage about $15 to $20 per week without trying to budget. This is free range meat and eggs with vegetables, beans and spices basically. Once you drop the extras like cheese, chocolate, bacon, berries, ‘super foods’, paleo crackers and breads, take-out etc there isn’t much else to it. Try it. Make things in bulk and freeze it to save on time.

My gym membership costs more per week than my food bill! I am looking at moving to body weight only exercises soon – not to save money but to cut down on time travelling to and from the gym.

Remember how Jesus fed the masses with 7 loaves and fishes? Well Nikoley is feeding the masses with Peasant Paleo ™. He’s a modern day Jesus – hallelujah!

• king of the one eyed people on August 13, 2016 at 17:30

+$5 per week for all natural, grass fed whey protein post gym workouts. I used to spend over $100 a month on supplements but now I find this is all I need.

• Jared Plemon on August 18, 2016 at 11:29

KOTOEP, where are you getting said grass fed whey protein? TIA!

4. king of the one eyed people on August 13, 2016 at 17:37

And, I gave up coffee! This saves about $40 a week. All up I would guess Peasant Paleo ™ is saving me around $7,500 a year – almost enough to bankroll my lousy poker game.

5. Justin Watts on August 15, 2016 at 14:55

Richard, I just wanted to say this podcast reminded me why I love you so damn much. You disperse knowledge in an almost nonchalant way, which stands in stark contrast to other blogs who capitalize half the words in their posts like they invented Eating™. I like your style, man.

6. Jennifer Wilson on August 17, 2016 at 10:33

Good podcast.

Americans’ reliance on fast foods is maddening. I know a woman who eats fast food at least 3 times a week (as in, every time I see her she has a bag of fast food, so probably more than that) and she and her doctor are BAFFLED at why on earth she has IBS. They just couldn’t figure it out, but now he’s prescribed her some medicine and it seems to be working! This, to me, is insanity. She’s at least 100 lbs. overweight and is addicted to fast food, but instead of changing her diet she’s going to cover it up with pills?

Anyway,
    Your diet seems much more reasonable and balanced lately. Some paleo-adherents come across to me as positively disordered.

Now, I’d like to posit something that may get you emotional, but be open-minded:

Do you think that the China Study may have been right on the money, had T. Colin Campbell not used it as an opportunity to make the sweeping conclusion that all animal products should be abandoned completely? I mean, his experiments and epidemiological studies showed marked improvements in overall health when animal protein was limited to 10%.

• Richard Nikoley on August 17, 2016 at 12:29

Haha, Jennifer.

Good job calling me on shooting the messenger on the manner in which he delivers a message that might not be all bad.

McDougall is more tolerable and stand by for Ray Cronise’s book. It may render Campbell obsolete and I can declare victory. 🙂

• Bret on August 19, 2016 at 07:08

Speaking of McDougall, I just got through the Starch Solution, and am mixed with excitement and “meh.”

He has made a strong case for starch-based and whole-food-only diets. I’m sold (but to be honest, I already was sold prior to reading). However, he has made a laughably flimsy case for complete abstinence from animal foods, in which he has failed his own standards of proof. It’s like he just pulled this vegan idea straight out of his ass and started pushing it on his clients.

None of the large societies he cites in his starch-based examples of good health are vegan. How in the world can he know that the relatively small amount of animal food these people eat does not contribute integrally to their good health? If low is good, that doesn’t mean zero is better. It’s the carb fallacy in a different form.

Despite this logical contradiction, I’d likely respect him more if he and his lackeys were not such vitriolic assholes to dissenting voices (even reasonable, non-hostile ones). I don’t appreciate people who replace logical consistency with raw passion…that’s child & charlatan stuff.

Kind of a random rant, I know. I guess I’ve got no other outlet for my McDougall experiences. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on August 19, 2016 at 07:50

Angelo Copolla has a new interview up with McDougall that’s apparently pretty good.

Haven’t heard it yet, but apparently he’s not even vegan himself.

• MKT on August 19, 2016 at 08:08

While Joel Fuhrman’s take is a bit different than McDougal’s, I appreciate how Fuhrman never talks about veganism, just nutrient density. In fact, I believe Fuhrman eats a very small amount of animal products himself.

• Bret on August 20, 2016 at 16:07

Listened to the Coppola-McDougall interview. I can see where he is coming from a little more now. In a sense he is breaking his advice down to the lowest common denominator. Tell people they can have “just a little,” and they gradually work their way up to a lot.

While I think total candor would be preferable, I can appreciate his point.

• MKT on August 18, 2016 at 12:20

Jennifer, that woman probably eats fast food a lot more than 3X per week. I work in a place with a cafeteria. It’s full of garbage. Now you could probably eat OK there if you really tried, but practically no one does. The majority of my co-workers (who are very obese on average) eat there along with fast food they bring in for breakfast/lunch, garbage out of snack machines and extra snacks/sweets they bring. I’m quite sure their eating habits aren’t any better at nights or weekends/holidays, either.

It’s scary to think what a huge part of our population is doing to their health. And I’m afraid the few of us who eat well will pay for everyone else’s health woes through Obamacare or some future single-payer system.

Richard, I look forward to Cronise’s book as well. I listened to interviews with him on Rich Roll and the FoundMyFitness podcast (which is very good) and he’s fascinating.

• Richard Nikoley on August 18, 2016 at 13:38

Ray and I had a 100 text exchange a week or so ago. I tell him: you make an allowance for meat and I promote the book. Go vegan and I will relentlessly shit on it, a campaign of shit.

Ray is cool.

7. Bret on August 19, 2016 at 06:48

Love the couch potato analogy. That debunks the low-carb dogma so poignantly it isn’t even funny.

8. jquick11 on August 21, 2016 at 11:57

Richard, Mario D’Pasquale Anabolic Diet has you eating high carb 1 meal to 2 days per week and the rest of the week low carb. Do you think this diet would counter the insulin resistance increase of low carb diets?

• Richard Nikoley on August 21, 2016 at 12:49

Yea, I think that would be good.