Coming Very Soon: Tribal Prebiotic

tribal-prebiotic-homepage-image

I could not be more pleased than to finally tell you about this, available soon, exclusively through FreeTheAnimal.com. It’s from Karl Seddon, inventor and manufacturer of Elixa Probiotic, of which we’ve talked about so much over the last couple of years. It’s Tribal Prebiotic.

You may recall that nearly two years ago—and after chewing on it for the year previous, and even collaborating with a couple of people on the possibilities—I began experimenting with my own prebiotic powder blend, “code named” Animal Farts (which would not have been the name in an actual release). It basically contained a bunch of different prebiotic fibers in powder form that I had gleaned from commenters on the blog having tried.

But not very long after Karl brought me Elixa Probiotic, we began a discussion about a prebiotic powder that he would manufacture in the same facility where he manufactures Elixa. And, so began a long collaboration and he’s tested a “million” blends himself and with volunteers there in the UK, and now it’s almost ready to ship!

• Soluble & Insoluble Fiber
  • 10 Prebiotic Fibers
  • Includes Resistant Starch and Flax
  • No GMOs or Lactose
  • Gluten Free

Here’s the launch page as it stands now, and you’ll be able to sign up to be notified of its availability, which will also be announced here the second it’s ready to ship.

And as an added bonus, you can watch Karl’s 30-minute video about FODMAPS right here.

thumbnail-medium

Tomorrow or the next day, I’ll be posting another installment of the amazing testimonials we’ve been receiving from Elixa Probiotics users.

Update: Here’s a new article that substantiates the importance of dietary fibers or prebiotics:

New Studies on the Gut, Microbiome and Dietary Fiber: 25% Reduced Glucose Response to White Bread, Fiber for the Health of Our Youngest & Oldest

1. Mark J on September 30, 2016 at 12:13

Signed up on the landing page for notification. Now hopefully my shit won’t stink.

2. Mark J on September 30, 2016 at 12:13

More seriously though, very cool. Look forward to it and supporting it.

• Karl S on October 6, 2016 at 14:32

Hi Mark,
      Thank you for the positive words and the support!
      – Karl (Elixa)

3. venturecap on October 1, 2016 at 03:44
  4. Padraic Hagan on September 30, 2016 at 13:51

Having issues with the landing page: “email not valid.” Tried my work email too, which I can assure is all too valid. Anybody else?

In any case…cool!

5. palo on September 30, 2016 at 19:10

Along with a probiotic, I used to take potato starch and/or inulin but had to drop them because they were sending me to the bathroom too often. In the Elixa faq Karl advises not to start using them with Elixa. I did a 12 days in a row Elixa course and since then I’ve felt much better overall, but I did not resume the prebiotics. Would it make sense for me to take Tribal Prebiotic?

• Karl S on October 1, 2016 at 11:27

The goal I set myself with Tribal was to make it in a way that would allow it to be used as a corrective supplement in its own right. I.e. not just something to maintain improvements from Elixa.
      The obvious problem with standard prebiotics is that sometimes they will feed bad microbes. No single substrate is selective of beneficial bacteria and entirely unfermentable to non-beneficial bacteria, despite some people claiming the contrary when they explain their prebiotic product in the marketing spiel.

By ‘bad microbes’, I mean ones that produce metabolic byproducts which are detrimental to health and ones that interact with the immune system and our intestinal lining in ways that lead to problems for the human host.
      Aiming to correct that with a probiotic and then maintain the improvement with a prebiotic would be great. But I’ve tried to go further by making Tribal something that can correct the dysbiotic profile in the first place. That’s fairly ambitious and it’s also just words…. until the full launch commences and the datapool increases to a few thousand; at which point the results will speak for themselves. I predict that, atleast with the first iteration, concurrent use of probiotics will lead to a much higher success rate.
      Thanks.
      -Karl

• palo on October 3, 2016 at 20:48

Thanks Karl. I’ll give it a shot.

6. venturecap on October 1, 2016 at 00:33

I wonder, would it be beneficial to grow produce in your composted fecal matter while you’re taking tribal? I mean, it would give the probiotics a second bite of the cherry so to speak.

7. VW on October 1, 2016 at 06:34

I’ll give it a go when it comes out. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Wilbur on October 1, 2016 at 10:43

I’m curious about whether the fibers were chosen for “scientific” reasons, such as SCFA ratios they might generate. Or if it’s more of a shotgun approach like I’m doing. Either is good.

FWIW, this month marks 3 years since I started my high-fiber, shotgun experiment. I’ve never been healthier or felt more alive. I recently had a very vivid dream in which I felt like I did before I started and all my symptoms had returned. It was literally a nightmare and I woke up scared and confused. It was a relief to know all was good.

I hope this makes it easy for people to try this. And I hope they benefit like I did. Consistency is vital. And I also think a good mindset is vital. Without going into it, I think many people suffer from no-cebo effects when it comes to fiber.

Good luck, Karl and Richard!

• Richard Nikoley on October 1, 2016 at 10:52

Thanks Wilbur.

Well, you are certainly the mainstay, going way back, in what got me thinking about a bagged mixed product.

Probably that’s why I was contacted by a couple of folks looking to do something. But I was not interested in any capital investment, since I’m not in that business. There were discussions of royalties, etc.

In the end, turns out Karl had been thinking of it even before you or I. In fact, prior to Elixa. Given the success marketing Elixa here, that became next step and I could not be happier because Karl is his own manufacturer. He’s not just a packaging marketer.

You should hit up Karl for some freebie Tribal, though. 🙂

• Wilbur on October 1, 2016 at 11:23

Yeah, I think my impression of Karl as a serious, thorough, and meticulous guy is accurate.

I’ve got my mix dialed in. It’s not convenient, but I’d be afraid to change! But I’d love to hear what Karl and his volunteers learned and felt during the experiments.

I also forgot to mention above that patience is important. I’m still noticing improvements. It’s not an instant fix.

• Karl S on October 1, 2016 at 11:36

Wilbur,
      You were certainly an inspiration along the way! I had to bite my tongue so many times when I wanted to reply to comments that I’ve seen you make on FTA and elsewhere on the internet. I don’t think people realise how significant prebiotics are going to be and I imagine you sharing your experience online has helped quite a few!
      In answer to your question regarding substrate selection: It was done based on several merits.
      One minor and quite unexpected consideration related to tonicity control, which isn’t even a prebiotic quality, per se. But very important in chasing the perfect consistency of bowel movement (the glorious ‘clean-wipe’) and controlling transit time of the bolus.
      However, the majority of considerations were based on the different groupings of bacteria each different substrate selects for (none are *exclusively* selective, ofc).
      The theory behind it is something that has been churning in my head since – like Richard says – before I began work on Elixa even. I will definitely be creating a video that can visually explain my thoughts on the matter to try and make them more coherent! It’s quite an elaborate theory and may be partially bollocks. The results are great so far though. But the more clear I can be on why that is the case, the more efficiently I can advance it in future iterations.
      Thanks.
      -Karl

• Wilbur on October 1, 2016 at 15:50

I hope that you didn’t bite your tongue because we disagreed. I don’t care if I’m wrong if I learn why! I think maybe you mean something else though.

I’m very intrigued by your theory. I look forward to hearing about it! I understand your wanting to present it clearly!

Yes, stool consistency is wonderful. At 2x per day over about 1.5 years (about 1000 poops!) I’ve probably had 2-3 imperfect ones. The rest perfect. Including travel. I have a doctor friend who tells me that is very unusual. People seem interested in my bowel habits when I tell them I eat high fiber. “You must crap a lot!” I just tell them I’m more normal than normal.

I’m thinking a lot about the gut as part of the brain. About its involvement as part of our unconscious mind. I’ve mentioned that I feel my gut telling me what to eat, what fibers to take, etc. Sort of a happy feeling when I get the decision “right.” I’ve been working on the reverse with self-hypnosis and lucid dreaming. I’m finding the same feelings arise. I don’t want to get woo-woo. But, yes, I think a healthy gut is going to be huge in the future. Body health, mental health, and more.

• Karl S on October 4, 2016 at 13:05

Yep, you’re right! I meant biting my tongue because there were a great many things I agreed with you about and plenty of thoughts I wanted to add. Particularly about your thoughts on microbial influence on cravings (something confirmed scientifically). But in your case they were cravings for onion, garlic, etc. whereas those with poor gut health tend to experience cravings for unhealthy items (but still potentially fermentable substrates, even if monosaccharides).
      And also the *anticipatory* sort-of-euphoric reaction you mentioned with inulin a while back was interesting (hopefully you’ll remember the comment I’m referring to).
      IIRC, you had a discussion with Art Ayers where he posited that your use of a fiber blend worked due to you having been well-equipped in terms of flora diversity before beginning it. And you countered that you found it hard to believe you were, because of the plethora of ailments you were suffering (and subsequently resolved). This was interesting discussion because Art Ayers has a mountain of interesting ideas and one of the fundamental beliefs he appears to have (last I checked) is that whole groups of species can be entirely extinct to the body there is not even a seed culture remaining and no amount of substrate will repopulate them. And that it is necessary to exogenously supply the sources of genetic diversity (i.e. ingesting microbes in one medium or other).
      I’m not 100% convinced of this and do not agree that his Hippo/Zoo example is analagous to the situation. I think a lot could be said about reducing transition symptoms and/or getting things going in the right direction faster. BUT I still hold the belief (hope?) that the right prebiotic blend alone can correct a dysbiosis. Perhaps ironic since I also manufacture a probiotic, lol…

During my Tribal experiments I experienced the whole spectrum of psychological/neuro effects. Good and bad. It was part of the process of coming up with the right blend. The worst was when I was testing substrates in isolation upto huge amounts. Very, very odd effects.
      Total insomnia. Sleeping like a rock. Euphoria. Depression. Intense cravings for sugar. Extreme mental clarity. etc. etc. I.e. both ends of the spectrum in each category, as I cycled through all the weird and wonderful fermentable substrates in isolation.
      The Tribal blend itself, in its launch version, is aimed to produce all of the good aspects and zero of the bad effects of taking prebiotics (that’s why it took so long to arrive at). Easy for me to claim so I’ll not claim that and we’ll just see what people think of it 🙂

Much to discuss….
      Prior to launch I’ll be making some videos explaining all my rambling thoughts on this topic.

Kind Regards,
      Karl (Elixa)

• Karl S on October 4, 2016 at 13:07

Correction:
      can be entirely extinct to the **body** there is not even a seed culture remaining and no amount of substrate will repopulate them.

Should have read:
      can be entirely extinct to the **extent that** there is not even a seed culture remaining and no amount of substrate will repopulate them.

• Wilbur on October 6, 2016 at 20:04

Karl –

I am not a scientist. Well, not a real one. I’ve published some math stuff, but more in social science. So I’m not sure of myself when it comes to genetics, etc.

But what I don’t understand about Art’s arguments is how they reflect horizontal gene transfer. Why it matters who is doing the job vs. the job that’s being done. I read a recent interview of a researcher in gut health who said that the composition of the microbiome is less important than the composition of what the microbiome eats. The composition of what it eats determines what the microbiome produces, mostly regardless of the identity of the producers. To the extent that the function of various microbes is malleable, maybe extinction is not a problem?

I also wonder about evolution of the gut. I eat beans infrequently. I love them, but I just don’t eat them often. After a few weeks of not eating them, I eat a huge bowl of them. Hilarity ensues. The next day, I have massive gas despite normally eating over 100g/day of fiber. Then it’s gone. I can eat as many beans as I like with no gas at all. Until the next time I go a long time not eating them. Some say it takes a long time for the gut to evolve, but others – and experience – suggest days.

I’ve written this response many times, and keep deleting it because I have no main point. But maybe my main point continues to be that I’m not special. I don’t know why this idea worked on me. But it makes sense to me. Diversify everything. Diversify diet. But also diversify fiber sources. Again, your product makes that convenient and likely cost-effective. As well as scientifically reasoned. Then adjust to gut feelings. I’m curious how your arabinogalactan/pectin ratio compares to my gut feel.

I think it’s very complicated. That’s what make it fun. And humbling.

• Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2016 at 20:58

I’m the same way, Wilbur. If I eat beans semi-regularly, no farts.

But same phenomena most experienced with RPS. Huge initial gas for days, even weeks and then it subsides. However, in that case, I can go a long time with zero RPS, take four TBS and have zero symptoms.

Very complicated.

• Karl S on October 11, 2016 at 10:43

Hi Wilbur,
      “After a few weeks of not eating them, I eat a huge bowl of them. Hilarity ensues. The next day, I have massive gas despite normally eating over 100g/day of fiber. Then it’s gone. I can eat as many beans as I like with no gas at all. Until the next time I go a long time not eating them. Some say it takes a long time for the gut to evolve, but others – and experience – suggest days.”

I agree about the timescale of adaptation.

Regarding transient gas. I have two main thoughts on this.
      One would be that gas-degrading microbes must proliferate in proportion to the increase in gas production by other microbes (due to the addition of fermentable substrate). And this proliferation of gas-degraders is at a lag relative to the beginning of gas production and thus a transient period of bloating. Which diminishes when population of gas degraders ‘catch up with’ gas production.

The second thought (which I think is the correct one) is that when a new substrate is introduced it is metabolised by the incumbent microbiota (whatever that may be) and if there is a deficiency in beneficial species (which by my definition would NOT produce large amounts of gas) THAT CAN METABOLISE SPECIFICALLY *THAT* NEW SUBSTRATE THAT HAS JUST BEEN INTRODUCED, then the spill over of substrate would be metabolised by species which do not need to be particularly well adapted — because there is excess substrate (loss of specificity occurs) — and these less well adapted non-beneficial species produce gas… UNTIL the beneficial species (which can metabolise that specific substrate) have increased in population to the extent that they monopolise the entire supply of that new substrate.
      According to evolutionary logic, the beneficial species should ultimately be better adapted to metabolise *natural* substrates and so they would win out. I should add that, because it’s a fundamental assumption.

What’s interesting about the bean gas observation is that I think it shows the gas-degrader-deficiency-theory is NOT the culprit for the initial gas when starting a new fiber source (in this case galactans).
      If it were true, then adapting to initial gas on ANY fiber source (or let’s say 3-4 sources, to account for the fact that the gas could be H2 *or* CH4, etc.) would suffice to adapt you to ALL future additions to your fiber blend.
      In other words: if you get over the gas hump with a blend of RPS, inulin, and psyllium (for example), then the addition of GOS (for example) should not cause a repeat of the intial gas adaptation period. And yet, for many this DOES occur.
      So I do NOT think a deficiency of gas degraders is responsible.
      I think my second thought is more likely…

But I always like to consider contradicting scenarios… A devil’s advocate point in this case could be perhaps species are much more segregated across the mucosal lining than we think (within biofilm communities) hence making possible a LOCALISED proliferation of gas-degraders within a specific biofilm community that contain microbes which metabolise substrate Y into gas: hence no gas from substrate Y.
      Substrate X comes along and is metabolised in a DIFFERENT community (because it requires different microbial metabolic pathways to ferment, from microbes not present in the former community) where there does NOT (yet) exist sufficient quantities of gas-degraders localised to that community. So the gas-degraders from the other community do not have any interaction with the gas output from the latter community, hence the requirement to once again build up a gas-degrading population from the ground up.

Hmmm…
      This is why I’ll be making videos! It will be much clearer.

9. Martin Archer on October 1, 2016 at 10:59

Looking forward to it, but why “Tribal” in the name? I would have gone with “Primal”

• Richard Nikoley on October 1, 2016 at 11:01

LOL, you want me to make an enemy of my friend Sisson?

• Karl S on October 1, 2016 at 11:49

Well I happen to think Tribal sounds pretty darn cool, hehe.
      The primary reasons were because I liked the sound and it’s conjures up the general image I want to create: That of mirroring the dietary prebiotic intake of early hunter-gatherer tribes and the like.

Although, let me not pretend that I think paleo man *necessarily* consumed the range and amount of prebiotic contained within Tribal. This game is not about simply matching a paleo-era diet. That may be great for *maintaining* a healthy gut, but will do little to *correct* a dysbiosis created by a modern, abnormal cause (e.g. antibiotics).

Lifting weights is a great way to maintain or increase the size of healthy muscle, but it’s not always the best approach to rehab a torn muscle. My focus is on those with serious gut issues (‘torn muscles), for whom simply switching to a healthy diet does not provide relief.
      Whatever combination of prebiotic, probiotic (and more) can be used to get the job done is my arena 🙂

I think the hunter-gatherer diet is more of the final step rather than the beginning of the cure. I.e. once you have corrected the dysbiosis, that’s when you can reap the benefit of a natural diet. Until that point, the high FODMAP load of a natural diet may cause problems in many.

Thanks.
      -Karl (Elixa)

10. VW on October 1, 2016 at 13:46

Approximately when will it be available? Didn’t look hard enough to see if it has been explicitly stated.

• Richard Nikoley on October 1, 2016 at 14:23

I aksked Karl yesterday.

See, for import wherever, it has to cross through borders, which involves various people “looking out for you.” Nice in theory, but of course, all sorts of drugs cross borders. Think about it.

But since Karl is a legitimate manufacturer who will play by all the rules so you have to pay more (LOL…couldn’t resist), it’s going to take some time.

Not a 2am drug deal. 😉

He’s figuring about a month.

11. Martin Archer on October 1, 2016 at 15:18

sorry – but that video is not going to win any newcomers over. What does FODMAPS stand for or mean? It certainly wasn’t explained in the first 5 minutes of the video. Making assumptions like this means you’re preaching to the converted rather than starting from the correct presumption that the viewer knows nothing about this subject.

• Richard Nikoley on October 1, 2016 at 16:34

No need to apologize, Martin.

We’re all just amazed at how smart you are. We’re literally dumfounded.

We have no idea where to go from here. Thank you so much. You so smart.

• Martin Archer on October 1, 2016 at 22:23

I think both you guys are too quick to criticize. You’re too close to the product. Richard – you’ve had great posts over the years I’ve followed you that have generated hundreds of comments. Many of us have benefited from your advocacy of the potato starch “hack”, and have eagerly been waiting for some development that makes it real and worth sharing with everyone we know to promote health. I’ve done that with, amongst other things, the MS survivor video you posted about more than once, and the amla anti-oxidant video, not to mention the lengthy text posts on PS itself. This video is a dud – it just is. If you get analytics on youtube videos you can see that 99% of videos’ viewerships drop off the cliff in the first 6 to 10 seconds. IOW – don’t bother with titles like a tv show – grab the attention with a striking declaration and go from there. By all means do a 28 minute video for a long sell. But intro the thing with a 2 minute video that gets straight to the heart of the matter and says wtf fodmaps stand the fuck for or means and how it is important. You may think your first 2 minutes does that but it doesn’t. 28 minutes is not the way to intro this product and I think you know that

• Richard Nikoley on October 1, 2016 at 23:02

Martin:

Dude, I don’t care what you think. Surely in all this time, and it looks like you have been paying attention, you should have uderstood that?

I don’t even give a shit what my mom thinks, I tell her often, and it makes her smile.

Seriously. Fucks given? None,

• Karl S on October 1, 2016 at 17:03

Hi Martin,
      Thanks for sharing your second useful, constructive critique. I look forward to your third but i will probably manage to survive if you opt not to post it.

Allow me to explain:

1) if the concept was explained in the first 5 minutes then what would be the point of the remaining 23 minutes?

2) this video is not the place for ‘newcomers’ to the topic of gut health to begin. It is an explanation of a term for those already familiar with it. I did not start at the beginning when deciding which video to do first. There are plenty of articles and videos covering the general overview of microbiota, and I myself will dip into some introductory videos down the line.

3) ‘What does FODMAPs stand for or mean’….? That’s the exact topic of the video. If you had watched passed the first 5 minutes you would know. The clue is in the title. Sorry if ‘FODMAPS explained’ was too cryptic.

-Karl

• Richard Nikoley on October 1, 2016 at 18:19

Thanks, Karl.

That you spent that time on a fucktard is very admirable.

(I’d bet he’s not in your database of tens of thousands of orders of Elixa).

I love the French word for this sort of thing, ’cause it strikes a tone, and in the way the Fench use it, apropos: mechant.

• Charles Richardson on October 6, 2016 at 10:12

I thought the video was great. Good, complex info, presented well. I’ve been into this whole thing for a while, and I learned a lot. And I watched it all the way through, which I don’t always do. And I’m looking forward to the product.

• Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2016 at 11:17

You’re an outlier, Charles. Always have been.

You actually do what’s required before shooting mouth off.

• Karl S on October 6, 2016 at 14:23

Hi Charles,
      Thank you for the positive words! Much appreciated 🙂
      I shall look forward to getting your feedback on my future videos, so as to guide the direction I go with them.
      -Karl (Elixa)

12. venturecap on October 1, 2016 at 22:23

Hi Karl. I’ve used Elixa 3 times. Each time I had the same positive results but after a few weeks I would be back to my previous self. Now this has always bothered me. I would have thought since I repopulated my gut flora it would be a self sustaining microcosm afterwards. What am I doing to kill off my flora? I don’t drink, I eat plenty of starch, fruit and vegetables etc. The only thing I can think of is that it might be residual antibiotics in my diet from farm raised meat, eggs and milk that is killing my Elixa flora. I would be interested in your thoughts. Regards. VC.

• venturecap on October 2, 2016 at 14:33

• Richard Nikoley on October 2, 2016 at 15:01

You’re the one who just wagged his dick in my other post.

I know how to handle toxic waste like you.

Once again, go fuck yourself, you are dismissed.

• HB on October 2, 2016 at 15:05

Found this comment on a CFS forum:
      “Like the Elixa (which I have not encountered before), it has a very high count (450 billion) and many of the same organisms, though the Elixa has a couple which have very good reputations (Lactobacillus reuteri and rhamnosis) which are not in Vivomixx.

I might be inclined to try the Elixa though am a bit put off by the price. I thought Vivomixx was expensive at AUD 120 for 30 sachets. Even if I buy in bulk and get the cheapest rate, the Elixa is AUD179 for 24 sachets.

I know they say 6 days is enough but I don’t believe that. In my experience, stopping the probiotics leads to gut deterioration.”

“I think the claims by Elixa that transformation will occur in 6 days are ridiculous – just hype.”

Unfortunately, if your gut is in not so good shape, then 6 days really isn’t long enough.
      Yes, it is specially encapsulated, but it is still eye-wateringly expensive. Seeing as the product is fairly new and popular, I wonder if Karl can start to lower the price.
      Many would be happy to take this regularly if so.
      Re the Tribal product, it could be good, though I don’t see what is wrong with just doing what Wilbur has been. Will wait and see what is special about it.

• HB on October 2, 2016 at 15:58

I also wanted to add this other comment that person wrote

“I think there are two issues. The most important one is the gut. For reasons that are not clear, our gut flora has become unbalanced and is resistant to change. It is very difficult to perturb the system. Maybe some key species that cross-feed or otherwise facilitate others are absent.

Secondly, all available probiotics are very poor substitutes for what we really need. After all they almost invariably consist of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria. The latter are significant, but still only minor constituents of the gut. The former are very minor.

Apart from B. longum, the keystone species in our guts are simply not available as supplements.

It does seem that there is a beneficial effect from existing probiotic species just transiting through the gut and that is why I continue to take them. I certainly don’t expect them to transform my gut – and they clearly don’t.”

You must remember, as she pointed out, that none of the truly beneficial species are able to be manufactured in a lab, this is because they need an air-free environment.
      It is also worth remembering that no bifidos were found in the guts of the Hadza. This doesn’t mean that these species aren’t beneficial, the contrary, but it is unclear how much they need to actually take up residence. From memory, I believe they simply pave the way for other species.

I’ve found the couple of rounds I’ve taken of Elixa great, but my gut is a terrible mess and I’ve been taking prebiotics for two plus years now. So I will probably switch to a cheaper bifido and laco and use it every so often. And continue to really concentrate on getting as many different types of prebiotics as I can. That it what really seems to change gut flora.

• Karl S on October 4, 2016 at 13:30

Hi Venturecap,

”I won’t be reordering any Elixa or trying Tribal till I get a satisfactory response to the comment above. By my estimate this is worth a bare minimum of $100 to you.”

This is a truly bizarre follow-up reply, bearing in mind you waited for a mere 16 hours after your original comment before allowing me to reply.

I’ll overlook this odd remark and focus on the original comment because my answer may benefit other readers here:
      Take a look at my article here on FTA: ‘Probiotics as targeted antibiotics’.
      What I believe is causing this transient improvement is NOT the initial increase in Lact/Bif and a subsequent die-off of those species.
      Moreover, it would be explained by an initial REDUCTION of BAD microbes (non-beneficial bacteria, archaea, maybe even yeast) via the bacteriocidal attributes of the bacteria within Elixa and then a subsequent RE-GROWTH of the bad microbes in your gut once the Elixa was discontinued. Those who experience permanent results have clearly eradicated the aggravating populations to such a low level they are now kept in a repressed state via the rest of the microbiota. It may even have something to do with insufficient degradation of biofilm scaffold.
      Maintaining a high fibre intake is evidently doing more to re-grow those reduced populations of bad microbes, than it is in stimulating proliferation of beneficial species that would suppress the non-beneficial species.

My advice to you – if you experience improvement which wears off in a shorter time period than you find satisfactory – is to NOT take more and more. The next step would be to move to dietary strategies, and/or await future blend iterations (v3), and/or await Tribal.

-Karl (Elixa)

• Karl S on October 4, 2016 at 13:34

Hi HB,
      The way I will move forward in this regard is by (A) improving the efficacy of Elixa further to further increase the proportion of people who experience long lasting and permanent improvement and reduce the proportion of people who need to take repeat courses, and (B) with the release of Tribal which is designed to maintain a gut in a healthy condition. (It also has the ambition to CORRECT a dysbiosis entirely).
      I don’t plan on coming out with a daily probiotic or something like that.
      Thanks for commenting.
      Kind Regards,
      Karl (Elixa)

• venturecap2 on October 4, 2016 at 22:58

Thanks Karl – greatly appreciated. My feeling is that 4 to 6 roughly equally spaced treatments a year would be ideal for me.

BTW, my comments are weird because I am weird. Some people find me funny and others find me offensive but I get along well with animals.

• Karl S on October 6, 2016 at 14:28

Hi VC,
      No problem 🙂
      And I hope that a near-future iteration of one of my products or recommendations will provide the positive results you experienced from Elixa, but with permanent effect!
      -Karl (Elixa)

13. Babbage Axel on October 2, 2016 at 00:20

This looks great on paper, and if the specs are on point I will definately be buying. I just hope it isn’t one of those deals where its a single capsule with like half a gram of flax and 60 mg of resistant starch. I’d gladly take two or even three pills if the dosage was effacious, but I cannot tell you how many supplements I’ve seen that list a whole bunch of great ingredients but on the label they are cited as like 1/5th the effacious dose.

• Richard Nikoley on October 2, 2016 at 08:06

This is a good point, Banbbage, from a marketing standpoint and understand how you would assume this is encapsulated.

No, it will be a powder with a scoop. You’ll be able to determine your own dosage in terms of teaspoons or tablespoons.

14. Lars on October 2, 2016 at 04:53

Looking forward to trying the prebiotics. Have started to incorporate oatmeal/oatbran porridge for breakfast and some sort of beans at least once a day and i have to say i’m likning it Way more than lchf.

Btw i searched your page but i don’t know if you’ve seen this before “Effects of a Brown Beans Evening Meal on Metabolic Risk Markers and Appetite Regulating Hormones at a Subsequent Standardized Breakfast: A Randomized Cross-Over Study” swedish study of beans, RS etc https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3618511/

• Richard Nikoley on October 2, 2016 at 08:19

Beans and potatoes are killer in every respect.

My latest kick is no-fat refried beans, with steamed, cooled, and cubed potatoes in a burrito using a cassava flour wrap. Just salt & pepper. I have sprinkled a grated Mex cheese mix, but it really isn’t necessary.

• Justin Watts on October 2, 2016 at 19:36

Are the cassava wraps premade or do you make them from scratch with cassava flour?

• Richard Nikoley on October 3, 2016 at 07:39

Siete foods. Cassava and coconut flour. They’re good. Ordered a six-pack direct, cause better deal than Amazon and free shipping. They came frozen, so I just take one pack out of freezer as needed.

15. T on October 4, 2016 at 21:30

Will the new one have Kiwi pectin in it? Or Larch?

• Karl S on October 6, 2016 at 14:47

Hi there T,
      If I am correct in assuming you’re asking with regards to Tribal, then – Yes, it does indeed contain both pectin and arabinogalactan 🙂 (the latter being the primary fermentable component in Larch powder).
      I use pectin from apple and arabinogalactan from Acacia.
      -Karl (Elixa/Tribal)

• Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2016 at 14:56

Who ever suspected tha the “apple a day” meme might have a validity more due to gut benefits.

I like Fuji.

16. Hap on October 6, 2016 at 15:05

The best….are Envy apples.

17. Cnidium on October 6, 2016 at 19:57

Hey Rich and crew,

First off want to say thank you for introducing RS to me. Been ‘primal’ for 3 years now and began to experience sibo. Started introducing RS through whole foods and banana flour and my symptoms have been disappearing quickly.

Im trying to gauge food value RS. I really like this link you provided https://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Resistant-Starch-in-Foods.pdf
    I was wondering if there was an updated version floating around anywhere as its been 3 years. My biggest interests include buckwheat groats, frozen white sourdough, frozen ezekiel bread (or any sprouted bread), and parboiled rice. Any near exact RS measurements for these?

If not o well,

And just wondering, what is your single favorite whole food source of RS excluding potato.

Again thanks for everything

• Richard Nikoley on October 6, 2016 at 21:03

Tim Steele is the one who put that together a few years back. Not sure if he has an updated version.

Tim, are you listening?

• Cnidium on October 7, 2016 at 08:34

I can go post the same question on his site.

Thank you.

18. Beans Make Some Fart, Not Others. Some Ideas on October 11, 2016 at 11:00

[…] Seddon, the sole manufacturer of Elixa Probiotic, in comments on this post, about the upcoming Tribal […]

19. Christina Baber on October 14, 2016 at 06:21

Would like to know your thoughts on banana flour made from 100% organic green bananas including the peel?

• Richard Nikoley on October 14, 2016 at 07:41

Interesting thought. No idea. I would think the peel is not intended for consumption…or maybe it’s fine. Various animals eat the whole thing, though our primate ancestors don’t so far as I’ve seen.

Many years ago when I used to spend a lot of time in Thailand, I would sometimes buy a whole stalk of bananas and feed it to a nearby elephant. They chow down on the whole damn thing.

• Christina Baber on October 14, 2016 at 07:50

Thanks. Actually the peel has a higher content of fiber and nutrients than the banana. The Phillipens they are processing the stalk were the bananas are attached and processing it to add to ground meat because of its high content of fiber and potassium. You eat the potato peel and apple peel so why not the banana peel!

20. Laszlo S on October 18, 2016 at 11:19

Hi Richard and Karl
    First of all I really appreciate the work you guys do and I’m trying to spread the news on the importance of gut health to friends/family myself.
    Just did two courses of Elixa, some improvement experienced but as always with new stuff, I expected miracles 🙂 Psoriasis still an issue, so looking forward to Tribal.
    Now onto my question: I’ve been wondering what are your views (or rather how closely you guys agree) on dietary guidelines. I’ve been trying to stay away from gluten and some other stuff for a few years as it seems to help with psoriasis. Another question is : do you guys think dietary recommendation could differ to Caucasian people to let’s say Ghanaians? Don’t you guys think a few thousands years of dietary differences could play a role in recommendations to people with different genetics? I know Richard’s opinion on Nora Gedgaudas but the idea of thousand of years of evolution without rich carbohydrate sources kept me thinking since I’ve read her book.

Thanks for reading and apologies for any sillyness (and grammar mistakes).

• Laszlo S on October 18, 2016 at 11:23

And also apologies for the stupid avatar, trying to update now 🙂

21. Karl S on October 20, 2016 at 06:26

Hello Laszlo,
    Thanks for the kind words!
    1. Dietary guidelines from me would entirely depend on whether I was recommending for someone with an intestinal dysbiosis or not. There are a whole range of *otherwise-healthy*, natural fibrous foods which can play havoc for someone with a completely unnatural profile of microbes in their gut (i.e. a dysbiosis). The identification of exacerbating FODMAPs on a case by case basis is the best way to dietarily band-aid the symptoms while you correct the underlying dysbiosis. This would be done via self-experimentation: eliminating FODMAPs and reintroducing them in isolation to see what symptoms are worsened by which particular FODMAP.
    For someone with a healthy gut, I think you can get away with a hell of a lot. You could probably thrive on zero carb, high carb, dairy-free, high dairy, high fat, low fat, etc…
    The healthiest, in my opinion would be rural African style diet that I’ve observed in Uganda due to the high fermentable content and thus a sort of added insurance against dysbiosis occurring (an underfed microbiota may be fine as it is. But much less resilient to adverse events that may cause a dysbiosis, IF they ever occurred). The recommendation also assumes a non-sedentary lifestyle.
    It would NOT be a good recommendation for someone with a substantial (or even mild?) intestinal dysbiosis.
    I think small tweaks in diet – here and there – PALE in comparison to changing the microbes in your gut.
    I bet humans can thrive just fine on quite a range of contrasting diets – as long as they have healthy gut microbiota.

This is why I don’t give much dietary advice (except short term experiments to identify exacerbating factors).

2. Yes, I think they could. However, I think that – despite the seemingly large differences visually between these types of diet – they are extremely similar in terms of not being too far removed from the natural state of the food substances.
    Whereas certain items of food in the modern world (with 25 ingredients on the back; half of which are unpronounceable) may LOOK similar-ish to natural foods, but they are so far removed from the natural state of the food (with many inclusions of unnatural substances) that their effect on health is what you should be concerned about.
    To put it simply: I think a Nordic person could thrive on a pre-20th century rural African diet, and I think an African could thrive on a pre-20th century Nordic diet.
    But I think both would have problems consuming some of the ingredients/processes exclusive to the 20th/21st century.

-Karl (Elixa)

• Laszlo S on October 30, 2016 at 16:31

Karl, thank you very much for your detailed and thorough reply. Looking forward to news and videos etc.
      Best regards
      Laszlo

22. Teddy on October 22, 2016 at 08:58

Hi Karl,

Very informative and interesting post as always.

While we wait for Tribal (no pressure) can you give a bit more detail on ramping up inulin and PS following Elixa? (I have one more day left on my first course. ) You wrote to stagger them in 2 weeks. Can you sort of give a sample recipe for nubies, i.e, start with x # of teasp of inulin and increase by x each day and then try y # of PS?

Another very helpful thing would be if you can sort the different FODMAP categories that you mention. The lists online are so different I don’t know which one to trust.

Whatever knowledge you can share is always much appreciated!

Teddy

• Karl S on October 27, 2016 at 09:52

Hello Teddy,
      I would start with inulin as low as half a tsp and increase that amount by half a tsp per week. Each step-up may come with a small bump in side-effects and then level out after 3 days at the new dosage. It depends on the fructan chain length of your inulin though.
      With PS I would recommend the same but at 1TBSP and increasing by half TBSP amounts.
      You should aim to take them up at a pace that avoids unwanted side-effects persisting beyond 3 days and you should aim to take them up to a point at which daily stool volume is at the upper end of what is acceptable to you.

Yes, I agree. So I shall, at some point, make a resource which broadly classifies foods by their predominant FODMAP content to aid the process of elimination and re-introduction to identify exacerbating FODMAPs.

Thanks for commenting 🙂

Kind Regards,
      Karl (Elixa/Tribal)

• Teddy on October 28, 2016 at 18:58

Karl,

Thank you. Just one more clarification: does one take them at the same time or inulin 2 weeks then stop, then PS 2 weeks?
      Sorry if this is clear to everyone else… just making sure I am doing the right thing.

Teddy

• Karl S on October 31, 2016 at 10:46

Hi Teddy,
      I am happy to clarify 🙂
      I would actually recommend you stick with just the one substrate (in this case, Inulin) and take it as far as you can (to approx 2TBSP max) to see if you can tolerate it at that dosage without undesirable side effects.
      Switching to PS would be done if/when you failed to adapt to the inulin.
      For some, the side effects from inulin or PS simply require a bit of time to overcome. For other they persist, no matter how slow the ramp is or how many times they restart the ramp.
      Kind Regards,
      Karl

23. Elixa Probiotic Version 3.0 Now Available on December 20, 2016 at 14:05

[…] the upcoming release of Tribal Prebiotic (which is progressing nicely through a few extended trials I decided to run in order to make sure […]

24. Boris on February 20, 2017 at 12:22

Hi Karl,

any update on when you’ll launch? Really looking forward to try it. Hope it’s as good as Elixa 😉

Thanks a lot!

Boris

• Karl S on March 18, 2017 at 05:10

To paraphrase Richard:
      Resistance was futile.
      But in this case it was resistance to the idea of prebiotics alone being able to correct any severity of dysbiosis with no concurrent strategies. In an effort to only release Tribal when it is something I am confident will help *everyone* who takes it, I have begun work on an ancillary thing that will be incorporated with Tribal. It’s nothing profoundly novel (conceptually). But executing it and ‘actually doing it’, and doing it correctly, is another thing. Progress is great thus far.
      Thanks for asking and thanks for your nice comment on Elixa 🙂
      -Karl (ELIXA)