We Had An Octoberfest And There Were Black People

Beatrice loves this photo I took Saturday night at my Brother’s compound a couple hours up the Gold Road—Highway 49—up to Placerville, CA, FKA Hangtown.

Nikoley Family Octoberfest.

14572814_345682572430816_7169546199505833043_n

Wait!

There’s two black kids, and Richard uses c-words and n-words. What?

…If you don’t understand, it’s only because you’re stupid.

Let me give you a hint. Those two black girls are sisters. They are being raised by my mom’s baby sister, Marilee, who’s in late 60’s and has outlived two husbands.

I’d never met them before, and curious sort I am, I chatted them up over the course of the afternoon.

I asked them if they like their living experience now (they are foster kids). They do. They feel safe and secure, and it gives them opportunity to develop themselves.

They were extraordinarily well spoken, polite. Off the scale.

I asked them about that.

“‘Nana’ teaches us how to talk to other people.”

BANG!

So fucking fundamental, so fucking essential.

1. Ed R. on October 11, 2016 at 14:53

I think you look at things the same way I do. To me “nigger” and “cunt” are more descriptive of TYPES of people rather than of race or gender.

2. Hap on October 11, 2016 at 15:25

Re education camps await you……and they won’t be “safe” spaces.

3. forrest on October 12, 2016 at 02:40

Lucky their Nana teaches them their manners and not Mr Potty Mouth Richard Nikoley 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on October 12, 2016 at 07:09

Ha!

Not until they have reached a certain age of maturity. On best behavior always until then.

Seriously, I love chatting up kids once they’re about 10 or so and I can ask hard questions that make them think outside the indoctrination box and they get it.

4. Jbg on October 12, 2016 at 07:53

Marilee sounds like an awesome lady. She will raise those girls to be awesome ladies, too. Good for them. And good for you for sharing this with your audience.

• Richard Nikoley on October 12, 2016 at 08:34

It was really great, Jbg.

I was able to witness many things, including the girls getting over irrational fear of big dogs, because they mistake the dog exuberance for aggression. By the end of the afternoon, they (and the other kids) were enticing the dogs to chase them. A lab-pit mix, a boxer, and another mix I don’t know, but he’s less then a year old.

They wore those dogs out. They were laying on the cement, panting.