Why and How Trump Won

There are many elements to it, with general popularity not ever being one of them. In fact, popularity was the biggest blind spot of the left, completely disregarding time, context, and circumstance.

Trump was extremely unpopular and he understood that and simply integrated it strategically and tactically. In fact, this is how unpopular:

I had a million to pick from, but that one just kilz me, the background muzic and all. The MSNBC pics and videos of Rachel Maddow having a meltdown on election night is also classic.

For a good laugh the other way, this guy:

Alright. The rioting last evening only demonstrates more clearly that this Trump inoculation came none too soon.

We are literally dealing with the infant class, now. Crybabies, purveyors of the temper tantrum. They had pathetic, incompetent leftists for mothers and fathers and either the grandparents were AWOL, or it’s just more legacy of unearned elitism. This is leftism. It is not liberalism. This is both a distinction and conflation I am still forever disappointed to never see in the former, and always see in the latter.

It signals to me that too many out there still don’t quite grasp very important aspects of this.

Thomas Jefferson was a great classical liberal.

…Trump understood that winning it on pure popularity would be an impossible deal for him to make. Negatives way too high, and this is what so many focussed in on, disregarding large swaths of time, context, and circumstance. In this respect, he was fortunate to be running against someone with high negatives as well.

This is where he outmaneuvered her. Hillary has to be popular. Trump’s narcissism is nothing compared to Hillary’s. Trump didn’t care about overall popularity and his behavior clearly demonstrated and proved that.

What The Donald had to do was deliver the right message to the right folks in the right places; and in so doing, he showed Republicans how to win again—something they thought impossible (Rush has some insights on this). He got Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania to flip, while generally holding everything Romney got (which can be chalked up to Republican push comes to shove stuff).

He had to hold Florida.

In other words, he got rust-belt whites who either didn’t bother, or who voted primarily for Obama, and have voted Democrat for decades.

This is why Michael Moore—of all people—mapped this out a good while ago. That’s his home turf stuff; and what he said could happen, did happen.

It happened.

If Donald Trump makes good on his promise to shine up the rust in those midwestern industrial states, this will constitute an electoral demographic shift of staggering proportions. Those folks used to be the crown jewel of the entire industrial world, and they are righty proud of it—though now regarded as racist, misogynist, xenophobic ignorants even though they voted Obama and have been voting Democrat for decades, only to get stiffed, every time.

Contrast Trump’s winning “Rust Belt” strategy, with that of the stock Republican loser “Bible Belt” strategy of fucking forever. It’s fucking epic. And look, if you look closely, there are plenty of shared values between the rust laden and the divinely privileged.

Where the rusties went wrong way back is that they bought into the Democrat scam that collective bargaining would give them better outcomes than dealing on their own skills, competence, and results. Enter leftist destruction by labor union. But again, we deal with a failure of distinction, combined with conflation. There is nothing wrong with an association of employees in order to have a more shit-together message to management and owners. In terms of conflation, unlike Democrats would always have you believe, there is no essential conflict of interest between an honest owner-manager and an honest workforce.

So now, private sector labor unions are a mere shadow of their former selves. They are less influential than they were 100 years ago. So Trump saw an opening. How many in the rust belt are true fans, now, of strong organized labor that has only proven to make owners just give up and look to China, Mexico and elsewhere, for labor?

Trump has an enormous uphill battle, because he’s talking about trying to out-compete low-income, low-benefit labor (yea, I know: trade tariffs, but perhaps it can be more elegant). But, also, less skilled. It could get interesting and he’s really the only President in the history of America who has on-the-ground experience in these issues to the extent he has, of the tradeoff in labor between skill and less, highly compensated and cheap. Could be interesting.

OK, I guess I’ve rambled on enough….

Except that…Those crying about the electoral college are simply Fucktards. We’re a Republic, not a pure democracy (note: Senate; Congress). If you want California and New York to elect all future presidents and say Fuck You to the majority of the landmass of this country, then just keep being stupid. The Electoral College is the only thing that gave the forgotten, great-legacy rust-belt a voice, finally, thanks to Donald J. Trump.

It’s their time, this time. Let’s see what they can make of it.

1. anonbychoice on November 10, 2016 at 09:59

Before the election, you were talking about all the markers pointing to a landslide for Trump. Trump might get 60% or even 65% of the popular vote you suggested. Maybe he’d even win in California. It could be an electoral college win that eclipsed what Reagan did.

Election over, we find Clinton with a razor thin win in the popular vote, and a loss in the electoral college (which is what counts). The electoral college margin wasn’t anything special. California went for Clinton 61% to 33%. So now you patiently explain how, as you knew all along, he cleverly outmaneuvered her in the states which counted, because he was so unpopular.

Wow! Nice pivot, I guess. But your prediction of a landslide was a big miss……

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 10:07

The butthurt is strong in you, grasshopper.

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 10:18

And listen up. I said in 1992 that Hillary would never be president. Never backed down. About a year ago I said Trump would win, never backed down.

My friend, John Durant laid down $200 on Trump for president a year ago at 500:1 odds, now looking at a $100K payday. And yet I have to deal with pussy ass shit like you.

I never said Trump would win by landslide. Just laid out ways—unlike almost anyone else—how it could happen.

Unlike little pussy fucks like you who are completely afraid to stick your neck out, bold to come in and critique, like you earned it. You’re a dishonest piss of a fuck.

I fucking called the winner you lost.

The post is two days worth of digging and reflection into the why my visceral sense came out right, once again. And you’re just a pathetic of enough “person” to choose to learn nothing.

I literally loath, on a visceral level, organisms like you.

• MC on November 10, 2016 at 10:58

Nice bet by Durant. Whatever happened to that guy? I don’t see him around the internet anymore.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 07:34

He’s on Twitter quite a bit, though took a recent break. Otherwise, he does behind-scenes stuff, like with Thrive Market and some consulting work with some companies in the general Paleo space he has startup investments with.

• David Major on November 10, 2016 at 12:38

anonbychoice,

Haha! Talk about focusing on the non-essentials and utterly and completely missing the point! Here’s some homework: Think about what Richard is really saying, and the actual meaning of his words and arguments.

And where is this “pivot” nonsense coming from? Didn’t people used to call it “evasion” or “deflection”? I think this is a word commonly used the the libtard fucktard Regressive Leftist media a la CNN…For that reason alone I refuse to adopt that terminology, I’ll continue to use “deflection” and “evasion”, I will not adopt the language of smug anti-reason, anti-Liberty sacks of shit.

—David Major, formerly known as DML, no longer anonymous…

2. Hap on November 10, 2016 at 10:21

Excellent analysis.

The road ahead, just like with Brexit, is going to be very tough. The “other side”, has their tantrums, but deep inside their beast is the still beating heart of counter revolution……plans currently being drawn up and implemented as I type.

3. Doug on November 10, 2016 at 10:28

Once again kudos on the call.

So how do you think Trump deals with automation removing more and more jobs from the workforce?
    I see this as only getting worse. The cry for basic income becoming louder.
    – Auto driving cars
    – Auto driving TRUCKS
    – I am assuming someone is building a machine to tear up asphalt, fix the under pavement, crush the asphalt and lay down pavement that crawls along repairing roads.
    -Pre-fab homes
    -3D printers creating whatever one needs to an extent

Has automation reached a tipping point where it is not creating more jobs for people?

Maybe I am too far out there in this line of thinking 🙁

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 10:38

I truly don’t know and would not want to speculate.

Offhand, revitalization of squalor takes work. There is a shit ton of squalor to revitalize and make attractive once again for businesses willing to sign an occupancy lease.

But see, this is shit I understand easily and so I know Trump does too.

You always start with the easiest stuff. Because it costs the least. Leftists never understand simple shit like this because they are utterly ignorant, have never had to make payroll, have never signed a paycheck.

I used to have to make a $150,000 payroll every two weeks for years. It makes a different person of you, and ironically, one that most people tend to hate, just like our first commenter here, all with his know-zero hubris.

• David Major on November 10, 2016 at 13:47

Richard,
      I’m curious about your thoughts regarding the Federal Reserve in all this? Is there any way Trump could counter their current policy of “zero-cost money” policy?

• David Major on November 10, 2016 at 13:53

I just realized my question was rather oblique…
      What I’m essentially asking is if any real improvement can occur in the economy if the Fed continues with its current policies?

My thinking regarding this is that no, not much can really be done so long as they hold the monetary reigns and use it to favor the globalists and politically favored groups and corporations. But perhaps I am missing something…

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 07:43

Tough call, that one. I think he is probably more aware of various central banking issues than we’ve seen in a long time. But I have not looked into his thoughts on it, much.

He’s got to be careful, though. He goes all Ron Paul on us, people’s eyes will gloss over.

• philippe Delanghe on November 10, 2016 at 12:15

Hi Doug,

I may chime in here because I know more about technology than betting on who the next president is going to be :-). Yes, all the “old” jobs are going away.

A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to visit a BMW factories in Munich, and what stunned me was that … there was barely any human being. Well, a couple, in the end, to QA and install the seats, but 90% of the process was done by robots. Look at Tesla’s gigafactory … Adidas is bringing manufacturing of some of their shoes back in Germany because, well, there are no humans required to make shoes so might as well manufacture closer to where the market is.

Robots is nothing new, but the rise of artificial intelligence means that also white collar’s jobs are going to disappear.

Until now each industrial revolution destroyed tons of jobs but created more, now … it looks like the balance is negative and will be increasingly so, to the point of machines designing and fixing themselves. Optimists like Kevin Kelly think that we feel that way because we have no clue about the future jobs. It’s true that if I had told a XIX century peasant that my job was mostly looking at a screen (a what ?) and typing on a keyboard (a what ?) he would have thought I’m totally nuts.

But as the rule of capitalism is to increase profits and productivity all the time, if machines keep doing that (and why wouldn’t they ?) then eventually the job market will collapse and mass unemployment will be the norm. It’s impossible for any politician, be alone Trump, to reckon that publicly … Bringing back the rust belt jobs is an illusion because … they dont exist anymore.

I will not comment here what part of his speech was flat-out lie or blatant ignorance, but at the end of the days it does not matter. The real challenge to come for our modern societies is how do we deal with that issue. If we dont get into WW3, because if we do, then the problem is somehow solved !

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 07:39

There will always be luddites. However, history has shown that new industrial technology tends far more to open up new markets unimaginable now and expand productivity potentials than shutting them down.

The resurgence of various small-scale craft and artisanal industries is one example.

• GTR on November 12, 2016 at 13:41

Listen, technology is about to replace GOOD jobs. Well paying jobs. Why would any respectable technology company go afer low-paying jobs? While it’s possible to go for the premium market?

Consider for example AI winning fights over best fighter pilots, or computers being better at diagnosis than doctors.

Fighter pilot replacement:

Diagnosis doctor replacements:

And just wait for eCEO. If a critical mass of companies goes for electronic CEO, then others have to follow, as humans just can’t keep up with the speed of computers (literally thousands of transactions per second), and can’t understand computer protocols.

• Richard Nikoley on November 12, 2016 at 13:46

Further to that, here:

My preface:

“Worth a read.

“Philippe Delanghe pay special attention to the last part. While factory jobs will increasingly be replaced by robotics and AI, that’s a defined variable environment. Long way off from autonomous robots able to handle variable rich environments like development and construction sites and cooperate through undefined and unforeseen problems and obstacles that arise every day.
      Still plenty of jobs available and to be created.

“First step is completely gut the EPA so projects can get started, and come in under budget and ahead of schedule.”

Mike Rowe’s take on the election:

4. Shameer Mulji on November 10, 2016 at 11:15

Like yourself, I hope Trump fulfills what he’s promised but if these potential cabinet picks are any indication: not exactly off to a great start

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 11:28

I disagree. Trump is a CEO. A true executive, and even Rudi and Newt know their places.

I am constantly amused by people who have never actually run a business. No bus guy would ever shut his ears on political grounds.

The point is, what do you do with it, and what will the folks do if you don’t take up and institute their ideas.

The Donald has that handled and I for one am glad he’s not just dismissing all valid sources of knowledge, insight, and experience.

He knows how to to call all shots. Exactly what I would do.

People don’t seem to really understand that while he’s the president with very limited powers for the union, he is also chief executive for the federal. I would actually, by executive order, bar all non-employees from all federal administrative buildings during working hours. Zero press, zero lobbying. Zero schmoozing.

This is his absolute power to work in ways that are executive and managerial, not political–though such would be made political.

My advice to Trump would be to be the executive and only the executive, and with an iron fist, zero exception or dispensation.

He’s good at getting others to do his magic.

The other part is statesman and he has hands full with the rust belt. Let the bible belt take care of itself.

Republicans have a potential 2nd big-swath constituency, now. Better do them proud.

• Shameer Mulji on November 10, 2016 at 12:32

“Zero press, zero lobbying. Zero schmoozing.”

I’m down for that

5. Resurgent on November 10, 2016 at 11:19

Good analysis Richard – and congratulations on a great call..! My gut said the same, although I had different reasons.

His first hundred days and then his first 2 years will make or break his tenure. And it all starts with choosing a good team..! This is where I worry for him the most.

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 11:35

Why do you worry?

Shit, he could just pick all of his sons and daughters—whom even impresses Hillary—and be done with it.

You’re worried about perceptions.

Rudi and Newt were Stalwart in all of this, as was Ben Carson. He can pay them back, but still be an executive.

It’s very easy.

You’re coming at it from the perspective of a regular politician who spends four years paying everyone back for helping him to get his four year term.

Trump did this on his own, largely, against all odds, owes nobody.

• Hap on November 10, 2016 at 14:46

Richard

the number 500 did not just get pulled out of my ass…thank you.

Ed Rollins…..a very wizened operator and campaign manager mentioned that number on fox saying Trump would necessarily require. Then I looke it up as Congress has made a law requiring the WHite House to list the names rank serial number and salary of all white house staff.

You could look it up for any year or President

The Hapster is not always full of shit. YOu may scoff…..but precisely because I have been around, I know not to bluff.

• Hap on November 10, 2016 at 11:56

I agree substantially with your visceral and considered analysis. However, the government runs with phalanxes of bureaucrats and administrators, all with union protections. Furthermore, even the White House requires somewhere up to 500 flunkies who do various jobs and then jobs flow from that. Executive decisions are not sufficient to oversee all that nonsense, delegation necessary at high level. Many who are delegated have to rely on …guess what…..operatives who have been around a long time, flunkies who have worked for Romney, Bush, . Before long you end up with a gang of assholes with resumes in DC as long as your arm. Justified by claiming to “know how to do business and get things done”. Phooey.

Many very large corporations run like that…..but I doubt Trump businesses do. The US government is the model for this kind of nonsense. However, in the end I, with no more power than a vote, have to trust that Trump can make a difference.

• Hap on November 10, 2016 at 12:09

Ok…my last comment on this. Trump works like a fiend….not afraid of any challenge and sticks to his guns. He beat HIllary much like Reagan but up on Soviet Union and Gorbachev….just outworked and outspent. I sum it up……with a slogan used by Trump but apparently a truism. “Ahead of schedule and under budget”. QED

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 13:27

“Furthermore, even the White House requires somewhere up to 500 flunkies who do various jobs and then jobs flow from that.”

Not necessarily in Trump’s world.

I could cut that to five hard-working competent people easy, and probably save myself a lot of trouble from the stupid make-work 495 idiots are doing to attempt to raise up.

Hap, you been here a while. Don’t you know by now that assumptions like that are just scoffed at?

Who says Donald needs 500 White House staff?

• Hap on November 10, 2016 at 16:09

Now this has some appeal…..far better than Kris Krispe Cream

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 17:07

But Hap, Trump spent less than half of what Hillary spent.

This was Reagan’s big fault.

Trumps’s huge opportunity is to show how you can get better than what you want, sooner, and for less money.

He knows how to tell union interests to fuck off.

• Resurgent on November 10, 2016 at 17:36

Yes ! You make excellent points and I am in agreement. Only, in this situation what needs to be seen is how the likes Newt and and Rudi, who carry years of conventional political experience with them, will adjust to working with their new chief executive in his own inimitable way.
      But I am strongly hopeful..!

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 17:40

They already have and have demonstrated so if you’ve been watching them on Hannity.

It’s quite cute.

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 17:46

Dude, I have no idea what you are smoking.

If I was president and congress made a law that I had to have 500 staff I would immediately fire all 500.

He is the executive and that is a breach of power separation the other way.

Are you challenged about how this shit works?

• Hap on November 10, 2016 at 19:41

I don’t know if you are addressing me or not…..but I don’t smoke.

My point was that if he followed customary hiring policies, and we will have to wait and see, he would have to by law REPORT the names and salaries. This is how we learned that BO did not pay women “equally”. However trump might not be in a position to go against the grain. There is no law that requires hiring anybody. Fine by me.

I am fully aware of how this shit works.

6. Corey on November 10, 2016 at 11:26

Loved those videos – great picks.

So here in Portland the loser protestors decided to lock up the 5 freeway and the downtown streets last night. I made it out before that, so my wife and I watched it on TV. A bunch of clueless fucks walking around stopping traffic without any idea what they’re protesting. My wife commented that they seemed to be such polite protestors – then cut to the punk tagging a freeway median while simultaneously flipping the bird to the camera.

If you can believe it, some of these losers actually brought their kids along with them for the protest. Some people even brought infants – infants – onto the freeway. A cop was interviewed on TV and basically said “Hey look, there’s nothing we can do. Just sit and be patient and eventually they’ll go away.” Really?

They’re already expecting more tonight. My question is, which way does this go? Does it escalate into significant violence and property damage, or does it slowly fizzle out?

• sassysquatch on November 10, 2016 at 11:36

Corey – don’t underestimate the attention span of spoiled Americans. It will eventually fizzle. The funny thing, these same people that are protesting, were complaining about the possibility that Trump (should he lose) would be a poor sport. What are they??!

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 11:37

It fizzles out.

You are dealing with zero brain, and that always fizzles out.

• Resurgent on November 10, 2016 at 17:40

Absolutely – Here are melting snowflakes..

• Hap on November 10, 2016 at 12:02

Yes…this part of it dies out. It’s not a real “movement”….only contrived and that can’t last. However, as I have written, there is a beating heart to the opposition still smoldering in academia, media, high finance. Some are stooges or just self interested….others are Travelers, true believers and schemers. Down….not out.

Globaalism is just more collectivism like “stronger together” is fascism and the slogan of Mussolini…and it takes a village a slogan like hope and change. Make America great again, while sloganeering, has deep meaning because it was once great and even in decline great but like Gulliver, nailed to the turf by little people.

• Richard Nikoley on November 10, 2016 at 13:10

This is why Trump’s best move is to conspicuously ignore them.

In other words, you do something to signal that you know about them. Then, ingnore them utterly, and I mean utterly. You never again even acknowledge they exist.

This makes them cry, again.

• Hap on November 10, 2016 at 14:51

Just last week…..one of my buddies who lives on campus told me that the FBI was over at Erwin Chemerinsky’s house doing background check. Hillary summoned him to be in the Administration. I guess he will have to stick around at his day job…….professional defender of anything and everything that is unconstitutional.

7. Jane on November 10, 2016 at 13:17

Good lord, the reactive nonsense is staggering, really? I can barely read the jackass comments on FB, though much humor to be found, as your clips above. I cannot decipher what type of instrument–recorder? penny whistle, but you have to know he/she was praised as a fine musician.

My favorite part of your piece:

” . . . unlike Democrats would always have you believe, there is no essential conflict of interest between an honest owner-manager and an honest workforce.”

If people would just shut the f*** up about racism, sexism, hate (all said in a hateful way), and get back to their lives . . . or move out of the country, which you know they never will . . . we might just get along a bit better.

THIS is the reason I usually don’t vote: I am not looking to the President or Government to be in charge of my life. And yes, I was a bit dramatic on the day of the election . . .

Thanks!

Jane

8. Barbara on November 10, 2016 at 15:21

The tantrums and meltdowns on social media by the leftists has been very entertaining. I have laughed harder today than I have in a long time. A generation of “everybody gets a trophy” is having to learn a hard lesson in losing this week. As you said, the Trump inoculation comes not a moment too soon.

• thhq1 on November 10, 2016 at 16:52

I think about the Romney election, with Clint Eastwood talking to the empty chair. NBC News was like that last night, only it was Lester Holt talking to empty heads. Where was Trump? Where was Pence? Where was Newt or Giuliani? They would have been glad to come.

The empty heads told Lester about all the things Trump would do. They talked ominously about Russia. But they avoided discussing what everyone knows he will really do: set aside executive orders, repeal Obamacare and reduce tax rates. Maybe these things are so difficult for them that it impedes their speech.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 08:07

They should gut the EPA, abolish the DOE, and greatly curtail the investigative and enforcement abilities of the FTC to actual criminal fraud outfits. In other words, actual crime, not preemptive “consumer protection.”

Then, on day 2, start gutting the law books of all the bullshit that costs businesses in the billions and trillions and causes them to take operations offshore…including the insane Corp tax rates, taxes that are passed onto consumers anyway. How about that sort of consumer protection?

• thhq on November 11, 2016 at 08:50

So much to do and only four years to do it.

When will they get to “scratch one marbled murrelet” and start selling timber again? Couldn’t be soon enough for the bankrupt counties of southern OR and the state of Jefferson.
      Maybe Trump will facilitate that before the Calexico merger is completed. Otherwise the Ashland Wall goes forward as planned.

9. Karl on November 10, 2016 at 15:21

A big factor in my eyes were the new media. Twitter, Blogs like yours etc… The influence they have is growing and I think that for the first time these media could effectively counter the huge mass establishment media machine. Yes, the Dems used them too, but the message was boringly similar everywhere you looked at the traditional media and the Hillary campaign machine.
    But now you have Nikoley’s, Cernoviches, Molyneux, Pat Condells that can deliver a counter message in an attractive and easily available format. For me, a formidable source was Scott Adams. Undecided people and even convinced Hillarybillies got involved in discussions and though they did not openly admitted, some of them must have changed their mind by reason. In my time I would have to actively search for a dissident source, a paper, a badly laid out stencil, to get an idea of an alternative for the mass hypnosis by the media.

Looking at a distance and never been so deeply involved in US politics, it struck me how the media were biased. While in Europe we had the image of the US press being rather conservative I saw now the same leftist maneuvers and deliberate demonization of a candidate, whom I agree is not the most well mannered, without ever even try to discuss issues and policies. Result is now that the weaklings crawl out of their safe spaces and make some noise, because they don’t know what Trump’s real priorities are and they are afraid to lose some of their privileges, albeit the privilege to whine and demand the right to more privileges. The media are for a big part to blame for this. Watch the MILO video where he walks through empty press areas. I have not seen any unbiased report on the Trump victory. Reading the Huffpost is making me laugh out loud, then realizing that ” c’est triste, très triste…” Even after the defeat they keep on spouting their poison without any thought for the responsibility they take for the social unrest they provoke. And still not one discussion on the issues that Trump will face and his solutions. While the US risks to descend in turmoil, they continue to focus on pussies and other irrelevant non-issues.

Here in Europe, it’s worse. Leftist thought has established itself as the norm, and Europe is utterly divided, leaving no hope that a Trump will stand up and take responsibility. It may happen in one country and then immediately struck down by the other Euro countries. But keeping the lid on this will only result in an outburst which will be much more extreme than in the US. You got a democratically chosen alternative with a chance to get the house in order. Here , some day REAL extremism will show up and when it does in Europe, it tends not to be business men that take the lead…

• thhq1 on November 10, 2016 at 16:46

The Huffys polls said with 99% confidence that Hillary would win. So why vote? Their bad, their stupid, for demotivating the base. Turnout was low in this election compared to 2008 and 2012.

This is pretty important. In former blue states Trump’s margins were small, many under 100,000. 10 million more voters could have kept them blue.

• gabkad on November 10, 2016 at 17:27

Yup, that was part of it. Lazy African Americans and Latinos sitting on their fat butts watchin TV instead of getting out there to the polls. The fake pollsters backfired.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 07:57

What happened is their respective negatives roughly cancelled each other out.

• thhq1 on November 10, 2016 at 17:10

I was in France when Haider was elected in Austria. The French utterly scorned him, constantly lecturing Austria Hillary-style. At that time I had to travel from my French office to Austria a few times. The dislike the Austrians had for the French was palpable, and I could see why I, the token American, was sent.

At the same time the elder Le Pen was extremely popular in France. His daughter Marine stands to be the Trump of France soon. Go figure.

• gabkad on November 10, 2016 at 17:32

Orban in Hungary started it. Everyone shit on him when he got the loan paid back. Why? Because he doesn’t want the EU to order him to jump and then him ask ‘how high?’ And then he put up the fence when initially everyone was accusing him of all sort of bullshit. The afterwards he was deemed to be a genius and other countries started to put up fences. And of course there is more. Nationalism? As opposed to the rape of globalism.

Trump is just a continuation of what has already started. Nation states have to put their own citizens first.

• Karl on November 11, 2016 at 13:29

True, the French don’t see a contradiction in supporting Marina Le Pen while condemning similar figures in other countries. Anyways, I am sure we are in for another surprise in the coming French elections. Surprise for the people living on planet welfare that is. But I’m not sure that Le Pen can pull it off. She is not really an outsider like Trump and I doubt they can run as smart a campaign as him.

10. Natasha on November 10, 2016 at 16:14

You called it Richard! You did, you did.

I work in a major University, in Canada. You should have seen our American faculty members whining yesterday! Then tell me that Hillary “won” the popular vote….and then couldn’t explain the electoral college system to me. Good grief.

I was secretly afraid you would be wrong. If I could count the ways I dislike (+1,000) Hillary. I also have no respect for women who continue to promote the idea that equality means…voting for a women. Really? Explain that using logic please.

It’s an election people. A decision was made. Move on.

• gabkad on November 10, 2016 at 17:25

Natasha, I’m in Toronto and totally agree with you. We seem to attract a bunch of whoosie American university faculty over here. Probably because they actually can earn a decent living. It’s amazing to me the flakes that somehow get jobs. For example, Specialist in Frankenstein. WTF?

• Jane on November 10, 2016 at 20:19

I just love the fact that 53% of white women helped get Trump elected https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/10/white-women-donald-trump-victory — and the no-nonsense reasons why a woman might pick Trump — but J.C. the bashing of white women without a college degree — the elitism and sexism of these b**** (and I would never have used that word before the HRC debacle).

And this offensive piece http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/opinion/white-women-voted-trump-now-what.html

“It is time white women start making change within their own circles. White women must talk to their sisters, mothers, colleagues and friends about racism, homophobia, transphobia and ableism. Prejudice must be called out, even in friends. These conversations may become uncomfortable, but so are these election results. Ignore the calls to avoid politics at the dinner table, knowing that many Americans do not have the luxury of avoiding identity politics, because they live it every day.”

Ableism? I must have been living under a rock, or in my ivory tower . . . I did not know ABLEISM was a “thing” — I had to look it up: [a·ble·ism ˈā noun: discrimination in favor of able-bodied people]

I better get busy having conversations with other white women: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN THINK AND ACT FOR THEMSELVES, LET ALONE HAVE FULL USE OF THEIR BODIES.

• Karl on November 11, 2016 at 13:36

Confronted with such people I would reply: ” and don’t forget ratiophobia!”.
      For sure most of them would ‘absolutely agree’ .

11. thhq1 on November 10, 2016 at 16:40

Trump said he would show the GOP how to win and he did it. Beating Clinton cash takes finesse. Winning congressional races takes finesse but of a different kind.

Bill tried to show Hillary how to win. But of course she knew better. The chip on her shoulder was obvious to everyone except her.

Winning the West Coast by 4 million wasn’t necessary because Trump left it to her uncontested. She should have been on the bus in the upper midwest going from town to town instead of groveling for cash at celebrity dinners in the Hamptons and LA. Eating coneys in Flint was called for, not drinking chardonnay with Ellen and George Clooney.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 07:54

Great point, thh.

It also occurs to me that he wasn’t necessarily blaring out his strategy as most seem to do. Reminiscent of his speeches where he mocks how we signal ahead of time how we’re going to defeat ISIS strategically, and even tactics and signaling specific operations.

Of course, the astute could see what he was really up to, but the “smart money” elite mocked because he didn’t have the fund-raising or foot-soldier machine they did. He got down and dirty, used lots of his own money, took donations from regular folk and is the first president in memory to head into office owing nobody a damn thing except for the sweat equity of his own close circle of staff and advisors…and his family. His kids are so damn impressive. But they will likely be more needed to run the Trump empire than to have roles in the administration.

• thhq on November 11, 2016 at 08:58

I think he did it for them. This is his retirement job. Something he could do sleepwalking.

In the second debate Hillary was looking at his kids as his greatest accomplishment. I thought she was being insulting. But now I think it was nostalgic regret. Very obviously Bill wanted more than the Chinese family she gave him. They could have been the Kennedys or the Bushes. But in another characteristic screw up she ended that dream.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 10:16

Yea, but how many children did Webster Hubbell want to give her? 😉

12. gabkad on November 10, 2016 at 17:22

Great analysis and observations, Richard.

• Bret on November 10, 2016 at 20:13

Ditto. Very well played, sir.

13. Doug on November 10, 2016 at 18:21

“Trump will you honor the results of the election?”

Does anyone remember that BS?

• Hap on November 10, 2016 at 20:35

Trump will you sign a pledge?

That got turned on its head.

• thhq1 on November 11, 2016 at 06:34

Chris Wallace said that he regretted not putting the same question to Hillary. From the way the third debate was framed, I could see why he didn’t, because his questions were crafted to expose each candidate’s specific weaknesses. On election night I think that this was part of the reason Hillary conceded. Even though Wallace didn’t ask her the question directly it was still hanging out there for her. Was she on a morally higher pedestal than Trump? Or was she going to take Al Gore’s low road again?

And she chose Secretary Henry Clay’s honorable route. “I had rather be right than president.”

14. Jen W. on November 10, 2016 at 21:11

Hey Richard,

I’m a Wisconsinite in Madison, and was pleasantly surprised to wake up and find out Trump won here. I suspected that Wisconsin would have been a red state, if not for the leftists in Madison and Milwaukee. Having not voted on principle, but secretly wishing Trump would win in Democrat controlled Madison has not been easy. Still isn’t. Lost two female writer friends over me even trying to explain why Trump’s supporters, supported him, and had to cut ties with two progressive liberal gay men because they kept insisting that Trump supporters were all Nazi brown shirts.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 08:20

Yep, Jen.

Republicans now have a clear path to potential domination for decades to come, if they can keep it.

The cammon values shared by BOTH Bible and Rust belts.

Ignore the left and lefter coasts.

15. Bob on November 11, 2016 at 13:02

What you make of this Richard?

Black Men Brutally Attack Old White Guy For Voting Trump

• Karl on November 11, 2016 at 13:51

Love trumps hate. Or vice versa if they feel like it and see an easy victim.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 13:53

As I posted to FB on a similar sorta video this morning:

100% leftist, 100% democrat. Notice it’s always a crowd with them, issuing the beatings.

Why, because they are of a democrat mentality. Might makes right and republican principles like freedom, autonomy, a right to one’s unmolested life, are only meaningful in a democrat’s pea “brain” if the crowd agrees.

And if they don’t it’s two wolves and a sheep democratically deciding what’s for dinner….and all other assaults on the lives and rights of individuals.

Leftism and democracy are cancers. Democrats are generally evil.

• thhq on November 11, 2016 at 14:52

I read a story on North Philly yesterday. They’re one of the few areas that gave Hillary more votes than Obama. “Under Trump we gonna be wearing garbage sacks.”

OK with me if that’s your choice.

16. ChocoTaco369 on November 11, 2016 at 06:32

Ever since Trump’s nomination, I have been watching FiveThirtyEight. Trump has always had a low % probability of winning the election according to Nate Silver. His highest probability was winning the Popular Vote but losing the Electoral College. He was given a statistically 0% chance the entire time of winning the Electoral College but losing the Popular Vote. Hillary Clinton was supposed to have a “blue firewall” that any Republican couldn’t penetrate, let alone Donald Trump of all people. Throughout all this, we were told this is how important the Electoral College was and what it means to America’s greatness.

Nate was oh, so wrong. The exact opposite happened.

Now, the same people exalting the Electoral College because of the strength it seemingly provided the Ruling Class of Democrats is again under fire – just like it was in 2000 – and many are calling for its repeal. Now, it’s “antiquated” because it didn’t work out in their favor.

This election has painted the perfect picture as to why the Electoral College is so important at preserving the American Idea. Have you seen the county-by-county electoral map of this country? It is an ocean of red with tiny, blue islands centered around poor, crime-ridden population centers of conformist opinion and hopeless poverty and suffering. Without the Electoral College, New York City, Southern California, Chicago and Philadelphia would control the entire country. Everybody in between would be lost.

What we saw happen was the Midwest – the truly downtrodden, hard-working Americans had their voices heard for the first time in nearly 50 years. They spoke up and the Electoral College gave them that voice. The same people crying for Flint, Michigan’s water problem now suddenly want the people of Flint’s voices drown out because they had a differing opinion than those in Hollywood and NYC? It’s disgraceful.

I am thrilled with this result, because the nation gets to see who these people really are. I’m thrilled these forgotten men and women got their voices heard. This election will have a TREMENDOUS effect on the next generation of voters. If Trump succeeds, it may shift the electorate for an entire generation to come, transforming former blue strongholds into red for the next 20-30+ years (just like it happened in the South in the 80’s). On the other hand, if Trump fails, these people who stuck their necks out and crossed party lines for the first time in their lives will probably never do it again, and you’ll see the entire nation go blue for a long time to come.

It is VERY important that Trump does a good job for this reason. If he runs for re-election in 4 years, they won’t be able to use a platform of fear mongering since he will have a real, record and it’ll be evident he didn’t start a nuclear war or internment camps for people based on their race and religion. They’ll only be able to attack his record, so it better be a damn good record of success.

• thhq1 on November 11, 2016 at 06:40

The idea of rebuilding Obama’s garbage heap will make them feel too tired to vote for 123 year old Elizabeth Warren or 150 year old Bernie Sanders. Blue turnout will continue to fall as the old mastodons head for the tarpit. And they’ll be running against all those young Trump kids.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 08:29

Excellent points, Choco.

As much as I hate tax and spend, some forms of it are better than others. If he can come up with a decent “New Deal” for the delapidated leftist strongholds, starting in Detroit and all those other bastions of Democrat control over decades, put lots of people to work revitalizing their own neighborhoods and cities, he could really pull something off, here.

On the political side, work actively, on the ground, to get those corrupt city and county jobholders the fuck out, replaced with fiscally conservative, bottom line, business friendly and oriented administrators.

We’ll see.

• ChocoTaco369 on November 11, 2016 at 09:14

Richard,

People my age should be exalting Trump. He is exactly what the 30-year-old crowd wants:

A guy that wants to cut their taxes but is pro-gay and couldn’t care less about abortion or marijuana.

Instead, we have Millennials crying in college campuses because they’re terrified of an effigy the media has spent 13 months creating to set on fire.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 10:21

He puts business (and not huge corporate business…he is a one-off project kinda guy, a developer) and puts the interests of everyone involved as first priority.

He truly does look around and see revitalizing potential everywhere. Just look what he has done in New York, and most recently turning the diapidated old historic D.C. Post office into a world class hotel.

So many have zero clue about all the moving parts in both development and construction, but profitable operations going forward.

• Hap on November 11, 2016 at 11:46

Well…In Mexifornia we have little chance of ousting anyone. I voted for Loretta Sanchez in hopes of defeating Kamali Harris.

• ChocoTaco369 on November 11, 2016 at 12:22

Richard,

Assuming Trump does his best to keep his promises and assuming he does his best to stay true to his word, I expect you to cast a for his re-election in 2020. Even if you have to vote in California and there’s a 0% chance of victory, get off your ass and stand up.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 13:49

I will keep an open mind to it. Promise.

17. SteveRN on November 11, 2016 at 10:54

I’m still going to predict the electoral college will revolt and go for her.

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 11:18

No chance. That was also the silliness in 2000 over an actual contested election. This one is not.

It’s already written in the history books. Trust me. I’m never wrong. 🙂

• thhq on November 11, 2016 at 11:37

Up in Portland they’re breaking windshields and blocking freeways. Down here F-16’s are doing a flyover. I’ve got a pretty good idea who’s getting infrastructure money and National Forest timber.

• thhq on November 11, 2016 at 11:28

I have no doubt who CA WILL cast its ballots for. No doubt about
      FL and PA either.

I didn’t know Roseburg was such a big Navy town. First a Rear Admiral, now a float with a real torpedo.

18. juan luis on November 11, 2016 at 14:53

Richard, what do you see in the future about this movement for secession in your state and some of its neighbors?

• Richard Nikoley on November 11, 2016 at 17:04

Lot’s of typical leftist masturbation.

19. poop monster on November 12, 2016 at 04:01

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? Pretty soon Trump will have us all watering crops with Gatorade and we’ll all be fucked. Still better than Hillary though.

Democrats are floating Michelle or Chelsea as their next presidential candidate(s). What a bunch of fucktards. They have no idea what just happened and Trump will be guaranteed a second term if that’s their strategy.

• cremes on November 12, 2016 at 07:00

Yeah, we’ll totally be watering crops with Gatorade because we elected Donald “The Machoman” Trump to office. That’s how he keeps all of his golf courses so green… Green Gatorade!

Based on my knowledge of the man, it’s my (informed) opinion that he will govern like a 70s Democrat. Since that’s to the right of the current Republican party then I’m content for now. I do believe (faith here) that he will surprise us with some good choices. I don’t expect perfection.

• thhq1 on November 12, 2016 at 12:47

I expect that Trump will be the reincarnation of Scoop Jackson. He’s fundamentally a Democrat hawk. I do not expect him to be a Tip O’Neill.

20. Hap on November 12, 2016 at 12:22

I never underestimate the Left when desperate or cornered.

• thhq1 on November 12, 2016 at 13:08

It looks like it’s safe to go to Portland again. They’ve worn out their baseball bats.

21. thhq1 on November 12, 2016 at 13:07

I think that Obamacare rate increases cost Hillary 5 million votes and the upper Midwest states. But others differ:

The website name crapicus.com is available for these crow-eaters.

22. GTR on November 12, 2016 at 13:15

Some extra numbers of Trump results compared to Romney results, as well as Clinton to Obama:

Trump, as compared to Romney got: +16% more of lower-income people vote, +11% of Asian vote, +8% of Latino vote, +7% black vote, +5% of young people vote, +1% of White people vote.

Clinton as compared to Obama got +1% extra of female vote, +9% of higher-income people vote, and +4% of oldest people vote.

23. Jen W. on November 12, 2016 at 19:50

Now there going around wearing safety pins to signify being a “safe space” in Trump’s supposed hate spreading: https://www.good.is/articles/safety-pin-america-trump-brexit And NONE of the tweets chosen are for any of the Trump supporters that are being beaten up. . . Maybe it’s time to start wearing Red safety pins? 😀

• Richard Nikoley on November 12, 2016 at 21:03

Just keep mocking, ridiculing, and laughing.

24. Animal on November 12, 2016 at 22:34

Whenever I hear someone talking about misogyny, I know I am talking to a misandrist.

25. Karl on November 13, 2016 at 08:17

The word in Europe now is “populism” and how to “fight against” it.
    Seems to me that the politicians’s class is feeling the hot breath of truth and reality in their necks.
    Oh, Trump, what have you done??

• Richard Nikoley on November 13, 2016 at 08:59

Is this a great pic or what, taken yesterday or day before.

• Karl on November 13, 2016 at 13:22

Thanks, Richard.
      Nigel has kicked the balls of more than a few Eurocrats. Just what’s needed.
      And who the fuck said that Trump has small hands? That thump looks like a hammer to me, after all he has 70 birthdays.

26. Karen on November 13, 2016 at 09:39

Congratulations, Richard, on keeping your winning streak going. From here in Pennsylvania, I admit that I was waiting with bated breath since early in the primaries wondering if my political gut was right. I could sense the discontent, but really couldn’t bring myself to believe that enough people would get up and go vote.

Speaking of guts, I am anxiously awaiting the release of Tribal; I am interested to see what improvements I might experience. Per Karl Seddon’s advice, I have been consuming inulin, and there has been marked improvement. Recently I have managed to consume raw garlic, cooked potatoes and fresh apples without bother, all of which would have been a painful task just a mere year ago. Here’s to American guts!

27. Joe Palladino on November 13, 2016 at 13:59

Campaign rhetoric and governing are miles apart, and will also be with Mr. Trump. I do think he will end up like the old Rockefeller Republicans.

• Richard Nikoley on November 13, 2016 at 14:34

Well surely there will be some disparity since it is a government of separated powers.

Stand by for lots and lots of disinformation on that score though, in an effort to demoralize his support.

28. Hap on November 13, 2016 at 16:47

The Left and it’s elite intellectuals are totally baffled. they are arrogant and stupid as well as ignorant of the wisdom and passion of the Trump electorate. Since they cannot concede that this was a rational decision made by informed Americans, they resort to doubling down on their presumptions of racism, sexism, misogyny and every other “ismm”..

Here is the lates from Fareed Zakaria.

What a shmuck…

No apologies or calls for calm among rioters.

• thhq1 on November 13, 2016 at 17:24

You can go through county by county on the Fox election site and see why. Trump only got 10% of the vote in the Bronx, 15% in Philly, 17% in Portland (Multnomah), and 15% in Oakland (Alameda).

Burn baby burn!

But don’t expect any Federal cleanup money. Or from William Shatner, who tweeted

“You poor precious snowflake; you didn’t get your way so everyone needs to run around like chicken little?”

29. Ed R. on November 14, 2016 at 16:15

My guess is that over the next few years Trump will piss off both the left and the right at various times.

I don’t think that he is strongly driven by either ideology. He is a businessman, a pragmatist. Identify the problem, determine the solution and fix the damn thing.

I think that’s exactly what we need right now.