Victor Davis Hanson Is Spot On About California’s Leftist Decline Into Absurdity

I’m a longtime fan of VDH. Read Carnage and Culture: Landmark Battles in the Rise to Western Power for some insight into his historical insight.

Now, after this latest Op-Ed in the Los Angeles TimesThe Oroville Dam disaster is yet another example of California’s decline—I guess it’s time for me to read Mexifornia: A State of Becoming.

His short piece is just so damn Word, that I’m hesitant to quote anything or issue a TL;DR. But…

Yet the California Water Project and federal Central Valley Project have been comatose for a half-century — despite the recent drought. […]

…California is eating its seed corn.

State lawmakers spend their time obsessing over minutia: a prohibition against free grocery bags and rules against disturbing bobcats. When they do turn their attention to development, they tend to pick projects that serve urban rather than rural populations — for example, that boondoggle of a bullet train whose costs keep climbing even as the project falls years behind schedule.

The crisis at Oroville is a third act in the state’s history: One majestic generation built great dams, a second enjoyed them while they aged, and a third fiddles as they now erode.

Just go read the whole thing. A brilliant indictment on what are the general priorities on the left, now and for decades—since the 60’s.

…You know, it was difficult the other night, while following the news, to consciously suppress feelings of “just desserts,” as there was substantial fear that the damn could breach within the hour and an evacuation of upwards of 180,000 people was ordered and roads out of the low-lying areas were clogged in typical California fashion.

Thank God nothing of the sort happened. That is not the best way to learn lessons. The best way is to communicate how bad it could have been and to raise a little prayer to Karma for its cosmic patience, this time.

Go enjoy the whole thing.

1. Amy on February 15, 2017 at 16:29

Thankfully, the blessed, sublime electoral college prevented such a feckless, heedless path for the entire country. Temporarily, at least.

2. Hap on February 15, 2017 at 16:45

I am from three generations of CAlifornia born persons….who fled Latvia in the late 1800’s and Germany in the early 20th century. This was once the Golden State ….the Golden Egg devoured by the Leftist goose.

It’s truly pathetic.

3. Bret on February 16, 2017 at 08:56

“The poor condition of the dam is almost too good a metaphor for the condition of the state as a whole; its possible failure is a reflection of California’s civic decline.”

Hot DAMN that is some good stuff. So. Freaking. Spot. On.

4. Rob on February 16, 2017 at 18:17

I spied this on my bookcase a couple of weeks ago and started reading, Slouching Towards Gomorra, should required reading.

5. Gregg Wolf on February 17, 2017 at 13:53

Ha! I have been posting his last two articles on this on FB. I had him as a Professor back in the early 90’s at Fresno State.

Agreed, he is definitely spot on, though sadly he reiterates the false claim that Oroville dam has cracks and is failing, but I get what he meant.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2017 at 14:22

Ha, you had had him as a prof? It’s like at least mid-90s I became aware.

It’s never a surprise, though.

6. Gregg Wolf on February 17, 2017 at 14:51

Yes. He created the Classics department at Fresno State and I had him for Roman literature and I think history if I remember right. I had numerous minors going at the time, and Classics was one if them. Probably 89 or 90.

He is a Democrat as well, or was. Funny thing how intelligence, along with being rational and objective, can be at odds with ones political views.

7. Gregg Wolf on February 17, 2017 at 14:52

Another fun fact. My dad worked on Orovill dam back in the mid 60’s. He has a great photo, used to hang in the wall of his office, of the first time they tested the main spillway. Always loved that pic.

8. Jbg on February 17, 2017 at 17:32

VDH is a badass.

9. Hap on February 23, 2017 at 14:33

VDH at Hoover Institute.

I would have loved to have had him teach when I was an undergrad, and I told him so.