Camile Paglia: Sanity As Usual (Transgender, This Time)

Worth the 7 minutes…and with the rapidity with which she threads her thoughts and speaks, it’s packed with sanity.

It’s particularly interesting how she frames this all as a sign of civilization collapse. I have some familiarity in terms of Weimar Germany: The Ominous Parallels: The End of Freedom in America.

1. cremes on February 15, 2017 at 13:25

Yes, she speaks sanely. Unfortunately her message will be roundly ignored.

2. hap on February 15, 2017 at 17:06

ignored…..and even denounced. It’s amazing they haven’t expunged her completely.

I remember the movie Ninotchka……she comes back from a “visit” to Russia and reports to her English friend that “there are fewer Russians but there are better Russians”.

Before that there was Robespierre and “off with their heads”.

3. Jane on February 15, 2017 at 21:14

The current crop of trans university students seem to me to be so juvenile that they can’t face the very basic and usually inevitable task of growing up, of being a “man” or being a “woman.” Those labels put so much pressure on these kids that they can’t handle it, not even in today’s society where there’s lots of leeway in the way you can look or act. They want to be treasured and coddled constantly (with invented pronouns all their own, for example).

• Richard Nikoley on February 15, 2017 at 21:19

Good, Jane.

Yea, it’s a total attention scam. A few will make a career of it, but for most, it’s merely attention.

Modern temper tantrum. Used to be, all of us got over that by about age 4 or 5.

4. Jim on February 16, 2017 at 07:24

I have said for a few years that all of this transgender bullshit is evil and the adults encouraging it should be put in jail, and I’ve usually been written off as an intolerant asshole.

So it was nice to hear it from this woman – and she said it much better than I ever have – because sometimes I see this stuff online and think the entire fucking world has lost its mind except for me.

5. Jbg on February 17, 2017 at 17:27

Camille is a badass.

6. Natasha on March 4, 2017 at 19:13

It’s really sad to realize how much of this is coming out of institutions of higher learning. When I returned to college after a decade of illness, I was stressed and did not have confidence in my potential. So, I made an appointment with the counsellor to discuss academic issues.

It was a small community college with a university transfer program. I saw the counsellor to whom I was assigned. She listened briefly to my concerns and then launched into a conclusion…..that I really had a gender identity issue. HUH??? I’m taking a full courseload including a language, after a decade out of school, and the source of my stress is what???? I fled, and never returned. I went online and checked the counselor’so profile? Yup, was working on or has completed a degree in gender nonsense.

I did transfer to the University. When I wanted to see a counselor again, I read all the profiles first and picked carefully. I had a wonderful counselor who listened and helped me deal with my concerns, including the Professor who wanted to date me. Yeah, no. I completed my degree and successfully passed all of the personal growth issues. In my favour was age and very caring father. But if I had been less experienced, more vulnerable?

• Richard Nikoley on March 5, 2017 at 15:38

If you’re old enough to remember, back a couple of decades ago was the whole repressed memory thing….