What If Dietary Philosophy Became Unified And Simple?

..Here’s how I think it might work for almost everyone:

1. Target lean land animal protein (and dairy if you do well…low-fat cottage cheese, plain yogurt, etc. Stay away from whey and other powders if not a competitive body builder) and any seafood from fatty fish to micro-nutrient-dense shellfish.
  2. For the rest, an inverse relationship with carbohydrate and fat. Higher carb, lower fat. Higher fat, lower carbohydrate.
  3. Whole foods is the context, not crap in bags and boxes.

You’re welcome. I’d love to make it more complex, but that would be dishonest and whoring; and there are plenty of those, already.

1. Evolutionarily on February 16, 2017 at 00:34

With episodic periods of no eating, preferably in a power law type distribution of duration and frequency, ala De Vany & Taleb.

• EDR on February 16, 2017 at 07:37

You lost me at episodic periods. I’m having skinless chicken breast with 2 day old baked potatoes for breakfast. And a few slices of sweet potato. Very simple, very filling.

• thhq on February 17, 2017 at 06:13

The natural episodic fasting period is night. Sedentarism, the enemy of metabolism, fouls up what should be regular daily eating patterns.

The two giants of nutrition, Yudkin and Keys, used different approaches to eating/fasting. Yudkin the high fat acolyte used 3 small meals and 3 small snacks a day, ending with a bedtime snack, so about 8 hour fasted. Keys the high carb acolyte used 3 moderate meals and one snack mid afternoon, so about 12 hours fasted.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2017 at 07:28

Yep, and I go with the latter no matter what style I’m eating that day (higher carb or higher fat).

Minimum 12 hours, but it often extends to up to 18. Once a week or two I go 24-30.

2. Bret on February 16, 2017 at 08:34

The carb/fat yin/yang fits in perfectly in the context of caloric humility, and vice versa. Eat large amounts of both, and you are packing in a lot of energy. Then you get fat.

3. Mark J on February 16, 2017 at 20:09

Comes at a perfect time for me, as I’ve recently become addicted to biltong and I can make that my base. :). So much better than jerky. Check it out if you’ve never had it.

This post also reminds me of the study I saw referenced on supversity that found that the advantage of low carb diets (at least for weight loss, I think) was due to the increased protein. And in that study, in the presence of higher protein, you could have carbs or fat. Also reminiscent of Leangains where protein is constantly high but daily change in fat vs carbs.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2017 at 21:09

Yep. The guys with successful client and follower results always push protein.

I read everything at Supversity.

4. Gregg Wolf on February 17, 2017 at 13:51

Exactly! It is not either fat, or carb, but their combination that is the culprit. I think of the, as amonia and bleach. Seperate each can be fine cleaners,, combine them, and the gas can kill you.

5. thhq on February 18, 2017 at 08:19

Having just traveled the length of California, basic Cordain Paleo comes to mind. Ad libitum veg, fruit and lean meat. Let the macros fall where they may, and the more ancestral less processed the better.

One day dates and spinach, the next day chard and Santa Maria pit smoked tri tip, the next day cherimoya and citrus. This felt the best. Up north it would be beets, potatoes and shellfish.

6. Raymonde Ricot Piette on February 21, 2017 at 00:58

Richard, is there a text somewhere in your blog where you explain why you go 12 to 18 hours or more without eating? If not, can you, please, tell briefly what the basic principle is? Thank you.

• Richard Nikoley on February 22, 2017 at 11:24

Search Leangains on the blog and also Google it.