My Take On The Donald Trump Press Conference

Began getting the buzz early in the day, yesterday, and thought, “unhinged?” Well, now it’s a must watch. So I saved it for drinks time, which turned out to be about 4PM, so I cracked a whiskey bottle and settled in.

It begins at around the 13-minute mark so scroll ahead.

You know, in over 13 years of writing this blog I’ve never put up a president’s press conference for commentary.

It ought to be easy to understand why I did, this time.

It was zero “unhinged,” at all (the media’s use of metaphor is becoming unhinged). It was righteous rebuke. And it was relentless. He brought everything back to the principal theme.

It’s brilliantly beautiful. A press conference to primarily spank the press on their bare butts, in front of everyone.

1. John on February 17, 2017 at 10:37

I know many people who liked Trump before running and hate him now.

I know many people who didn’t like him before or after running but voted for him because he wasn’t Hillary.

I never thought much of him before running, but I’ve loved him since.

• Gregg Wolf on February 17, 2017 at 13:46

I agree. I was meh, before the election, and he has impressed the hell out of me since taking office.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2017 at 14:06

You have to get a bit drunk on whiskey and watch that press conference.

Trust me.

• Jbg on February 17, 2017 at 18:33

Exactly.

2. Peter on February 17, 2017 at 13:40

The simplest explanation for Trump is that he’s both ignorant and an asshole. His admirers would be just as entertained by fart jokes.

• poop monster on February 17, 2017 at 14:09

That’s not the insult you might think it is Peter. Perhaps you should read Benjamin Franklin’s (yes, that Benjamin Franklin) essay on flatulence and his intentions for writing it – https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fart_Proudly

You and your kind Peter are part if the reason Trump has the support he has. Trump is their way of telling you that you are wrong and you should fuck off.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2017 at 19:10

Peter, you’re a fucktard.

And, smelling like a troll.

3. Hap on February 17, 2017 at 13:56

It’s the same as it was in the beginning….The Lefties are all sauce and no meat….they confuse the rhetoric and the style with mental insufficiency and lack of substance. If you go back and listen to Reagan speeches and messages, they are absolutely masterful, straightforward, eloquent. But then, the intelligentsia thought him an amiable dunce.

the cat is now out of the bag….no more “amiable” or even “dunce”…..just plain blind contempt and disgust and by any means denounce and diminish. Anybody and everybody who could tune into a Trump message, irredeemable, deplorable, and yes….ignorant and an asshole.

the Left is long ago beyond getting what it deserves and has no capacity for introspection or self reflection.

Trump is correct and he gave as good or better than he got. Other than talk radio , unfortunately, he has few allies like those who buy ink by the barrel, or who really condone violence (oops I mean resistance), the professoriate, or Big Hollywood except……a substantial swatch of American citizens.

And, we were entertained. I am plagiarizing but Hollywood is full of politics, but now presidential press conferences are actually entertaining.

KNow any good fart jokes?

4. Peter on February 17, 2017 at 14:06

So put your money where your mouth is. A few weeks ago I bought some shares on predictit.org, betting that Trump would no longer be president at the end of the year and that the congress would flip to Democratic in 2018. I’d make a tidy profit if I sold at this time. I expect to do even better as we get closer to these dates. What a bunch of bloviators.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2017 at 14:09

Smart money, Peter.

If you’re going to gamble, bet, or trade, you must always be agnostic. You bet on how you think tides might turn.

5. Hap on February 17, 2017 at 14:49

I’ll bet Peter does not know his hero Ghandi, was obsessed with bowel movements and often entertained visitors including dignitaries while he was on the pot (farting, I presume?). That’s just for starters.

So Peter, be nice to Poopmonster. His heart is in the right place….down there.

6. Gary on February 17, 2017 at 15:25

Nice assessment.

I hope it was Highland Park (the 25 Years Old classic from the Orkney Distillery). Or at least Jameson.

“Leftist pundits… trying to work the secret persuasion word “chaos/meltdown” into every comment. The word chaos/meltdown is engineered persuasion from someone on the left.” Scott Adams.

They aren’t equipped to handle Trump.

Amusing and wonderful… and the leftist screwballs are going to take it in the ass for 8 years…

• Peter on February 17, 2017 at 16:00

Scott Adams, eh? While he’s a mildly competent observer of office cubicle life, I haven’t noticed he has much insight elsewhere. So how much money have you bet towards Trump still being in office at the end of the year? Go ahead, you have the odds. I’d like you to drive down my price so I can purchase more. I’m looking forward to profiting off you rubes.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2017 at 19:07

Peter, Scott predicted Trump’s eventual win around the time I did, fall 2015.

How much have you made profiting off “rubes,” so far?

• BabyGirl on February 18, 2017 at 16:10

Hilariously, I read “Highland Park” and immediately flashed back to Dr. Lee Roberson.

7. Mark J on February 17, 2017 at 16:10

Peter, how much money did you make on betting Hillary would win? Maybe you can make that back when you’re right about Trump not making it through the end of the year.

• Peter on February 17, 2017 at 17:00

I didn’t bet a dime on her.

• Mark J on February 17, 2017 at 18:24

So you were didn’t make any money before but now are super cocky? Ain’t gonna happen.

I’m asssuming you have thousands riding ok this bet.

• poop monster on February 17, 2017 at 19:05

According to predict.org as of a few minutes ago there are 20,627 shares in TRUMP.PRES.123118 outstanding with a value of 35 cents each. Even if one person held all the shares outstanding and bought them for 0 cents each, their “tidy profit” would not amount to much more than what I would call a good weekend out with the family and would not even cover my annual car insurance policies.

I have no knowledge of what Peter’s positions are or have been or what his definition of a “tidy profit” is. That’s for him to disclose if he chooses.

8. Peter on February 18, 2017 at 05:19

Okay. A little disclosure. First, I’m a liberal, or as Richard graciously labels us, “Libtard.” I’ve enjoyed this blog for its unconventional diet and lifestyle explorations, which sometimes offer worthy options to consider. The political stuff, not so much. But I’m open to hearing other views. Every once in a long while I interrupt the mutual fluffering with an objection, not for the purpose of trolling, but to see if the sycophants are capable of a little reflection. This, of course, is rarely rewarded with inciteful responses. Instead, I usually receive either an ad hominem or other logical fallacy, most typically a non-sequitur. If I were trolling, I’d persist with my own provocations.

Regarding my wagers, I won’t pretend that I have made substantial investments. By “tidy profit” I’m referring to percentage gains, not absolute numbers. Gambling is not part of my investment strategy. My wagers are for entertainment purposes. Still, I’d be quite happy for those of you who think Trump a success to buy shares on the opposite side of this proposition, as I’d be happy to buy more on my side when you drive down the price of my side.

Finally, Richard, I would be most grateful to see a return to more posts about diet and lifestyle, though I recognize this is your blog and you can do what you wish.

• thhq on February 21, 2017 at 05:10

This IS what Trump was talking about. Pitching pennies in the lavatory is grade school stuff. Real Democrats started the Civil War so they could be left alone and keep their slaves. They didn’t march in kitty hat parades, threaten to blow up the White House, and call it a day.

Pitching pennies on a bet won’t build you a casino hotel or make you a reality TV star. Or allow you to fire an insubordinant attorney general wannabee.

• Peter on February 21, 2017 at 05:20

Are you always this coherent? I’d debate this if I understood it. BTW, there are many valid critiques of Democrats, but comparing the current party to the 19th century Democrats is a canard of the highest order. Did you miss the fact that the legacy of those racist policies all migrated to the Republican party beginning with Nixon and his Southern strategy?

• thhq on February 21, 2017 at 05:30

Just getting started. Up here in OR they were holding Not My President rallies yesterday. Here’s an idea for you. If he’s not your president put your money where your mouth is. Move to Mexico and Nieto can be your president. Let an illegal alien who respects Trump have your citizenship in exchange.

That’s real sanctuary. Not some snivelling defiance of INS. Obama encouraged that behavior with $$$$$$. The buck is about to stop in Chicago, LA and NYC.

• Peter on February 21, 2017 at 05:43

Judging from your poor writing and illogic I guess you never graduated from high school.

When did I write that Trump wasn’t my president? When did I bring up sanctuary and INS? It is a logical fallacy to debate straw men.

I’d be happy to defend what I’ve actually written.

• thhq on February 21, 2017 at 06:25

Just reporting on the fake news up here. Thought you might be interested, since the subject of this thread is Trump’s press conference. Our senior useless senator was here aiding and abetting the rallies. The junior one with the filibuster fetish is probably holding forth on pine bark beetles again, somewhere.

I’m glad to hear you’re all-in on Trump being your president. If you win your bet you’re really going to love Pence.

WSJ says the Obama bathroom deal is history as of today. A lot of Obama’s executive orders are simple to eliminate. They’re gone in a Tweet.

• Peter on February 21, 2017 at 06:44

I’ll assume you were being sarcastic about me being all-in, since all I said was that I didn’t say Trump was not my president. This is a well known fact, not declared “fake news” by Trump. I’ve noticed he only labels “fake news” the news he doesn’t like.

I’m not going to wade into the Trump debate in this forum. It is clear that you and many others are quite pleased to be led by someone who affirms your world view. It is what it is.

I will merely stand by my initial comment, that Trump is both ignorant and an asshole. If you think that is a feature rather than a bug, well, there you go.

• thhq on February 21, 2017 at 09:28

I can understand why you think he is an asshole. I think of him as a cheapskate, and effective cheapskates are also assholes. I’ve worked for enough of them.

Ignorance is an interesting description, though it’s what I’d expect from someone who’s not happy about being pranked. If you’d lived in Illinois outside of Chicagoland you might see it differently. The ignorant rubes who’ve had various pay-to-play schemes inflicted on them by smart guys from Chicago – Blago, the Madigans, Emil Jones and his protege Obama – have a different view. They went to different and better schools than the teacher’s pension enclave they’re forced to pay for. Obama took this same dumb zero sum game to a national level. While Trump may not be the smartest kid on the block, he courted the exact group of downstate people he needed to elect him. This doesn’t look like ignorance to me. But then no poitician is elected for their intellect….except Wilson…another old Jim Crow Democrat….

• Richard Nikoley on February 22, 2017 at 11:26

“Did you miss the fact that the legacy of those racist policies all migrated to the Republican party beginning with Nixon and his Southern strategy?”

Easily debunked, which is done well in D’Souza’s film, Hillary’s America.

• Paul on February 22, 2017 at 12:32

Peter,

Your tone and your approach to comments is condescending.

When the boast you made on “monetary gains” was looked into you then shifted the goal post to “percent profit”. A tidy profit? That implies magnitude not percent or a percent gain is always contextualised with the initial value amount. And then you went on to further to suggest it is not part of an “investment strategy”. Lol.

So you “put your money where your mouth is” and made a “tidy profit” and it turns out we are likely talking a few bucks.

It seems you were trying to convince all us syncophants how smart you are, but alas, I just don’t buy it. To put my money where my mouth is, I have retained positions in triple leveraged ETFs (example TNA). Each of the 4 I am holding I have 8k positions in.

Trump has made me a very tidy profit backing him and taking a small amount of exposure and “betting” on an increasing stock market is my investment strategy.

Paul d

• Richard Nikoley on February 22, 2017 at 13:23

Back in 2005 and 6 when I “put my money where my mouth is,” I was day-trading the SPX options derivative on the floor of the CBOE. Via a trading platform, but the actual trade was in the pit (we used instant messaging to negotiate the trade).

I turned a $60K account into half mil. Not quite up to Hillary’s skill trading cattle futures in percentage terms, but not bad.

When a couple of highly leveraged trades went against me real quick and I dumped $250K in a week, I decided it would drive me to drinking and unravelled all positions over the next month. Now, I’m content to waste $20 bucks now & then at the Craps table.

• Paul on February 22, 2017 at 23:27

Ye Richard,

That sort of shit can do your head in. I had the experience of starting off and buying speculative mining stocks for their potential “upside”. Even with trading rules and stop losses, I still got done over due to trading volumes being low and retail investor panic selling.

Fortunately with little invested and a lot to lose I got hammered and learnt my risk appetite pretty quickly.

My biggest regret was getting out just before the USA downgrade by S&P and sitting in cash and not backing myself enough to bet on the drop.

I just have a balanced portfolio now that yields me moderate 20-25% year on year returns.

Alas I have nothing on Peter who clearly gets things at a level I could only dream of

9. Richard Nikoley on February 18, 2017 at 10:47

Well, Peter, at least you always know what to expect. 🙂

10. Mark J on February 18, 2017 at 13:08

Man walks into a biker bar, yells that bikers all suck, then complains when they beat the shit out of him.

I call that man an idiot, who doesn’t understand the context of the conversation he is having.

• Peter on February 18, 2017 at 18:57

Tough guys. In print.

11. Hap on February 20, 2017 at 12:26

What’s your favorite whiskey?

• pinkface on February 20, 2017 at 19:56

Single malt at least 15 years old. Yours?

BTW, Milo’s book has been dumped! Maybe Richard can help the poor brother out with some tips on self publishing? 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on February 20, 2017 at 20:00

I don’t talk about whiskey in mixed company.

As to Milo, he’s quintessentially lemons to lemonade, no worries.

Hope he gets to keep the $250k advance, which would only be right and proper. The book is “Dangerous,” after all.

12. Hap on February 20, 2017 at 20:17

I don’t talk about whiskey in mixed company.

Fair enough………

• Richard Nikoley on February 20, 2017 at 20:20

I dislike dick-measuring contests over distilled beverages.

• poop monster on February 20, 2017 at 20:41

So you’re open to dick measuring contests so long as they don’t involve distilled beverages?

13. Richard Nikoley on February 20, 2017 at 20:58

It’s a banal thing.

14. NvN on February 23, 2017 at 05:30

In related news, O’Keefe is releasing hours of undercover recordings today that are supposed to expose fake-news CNN from the inside. I hear CNN is in full meltdown mode: