Federalism Update, AKA CALEXIT

Federalism is the mixed or compound mode of government, combining a general government (the central or ‘federal’ government) with regional governments (provincial, state, cantonal, territorial or other sub-unit governments) in a single political system. Its distinctive feature, exemplified in the founding example of modern federalism of the United States of America under the Constitution of 1787, is a relationship of parity between the two levels of government established.[1] It can thus be defined as a form of government in which there is a division of powers between two levels of government of equal status.[2]

Federalism is distinguished from confederalism, in which the general level of government is subordinate to the regional level, and from devolution within a unitary state, in which the regional level of government is subordinate to the general level.[3] It represents the central form in the pathway of regional integration or separation,[4] bounded on the less integrated side by confederalism and on the more integrated side by devolution within a unitary state.[5]

(Wikipedia)

This: Two dozen companies commit to leaving California.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) — Two dozen California companies have said they are tired of the business-bashing in Sacramento, along with the high taxes — and they are now threatening to leave the state.

The day after Proposition 30 passed, triggering $6 billion in new annual taxes, Arizona launched a campaign to lure some of California’s top companies.

KCRA 3 has learned that 24 chief executives are flying to Phoenix, Ariz., to explore the land of lower taxes and a much friendlier business environment.

So delicious; I hope the trend continues, and why ought it not, unless Sac decides to actually compete for business and jobs? I live in California, but in a “red finger” up in the Sierras where there are still plenty of sane people…so unlike the anthill I have to endure every time I have to travel to Bay Area.

1. Ed R. on February 13, 2017 at 14:11

The problem for we Arizonans is that most of these “newcomers” immediately try to shape us into conforming with what they are used to.

Hence my favorite bumper sticker. “Welcome to Arizona, and I don’t give a fuck how you did things back home”

• Richard Nikoley on February 13, 2017 at 14:19

And that’s perfect, Ed.

….Almost like the immigration debate, eh?

“Welcome. Now, here’s how we do things around here, so you can keep feeling welcome.”

2. thhq on February 14, 2017 at 05:16

The early Federalism collapsed by the 1820’s. IMO it was due to Federal overreach in both international and domestic affairs under John Adams, and was replaced with stronger emphasis on individual states rights. America did not become bicoastal under Federalism, and likely never would have.

3. DLunsford on February 14, 2017 at 07:55

Speaking of the Bay Area I have a one week business trip out your way next month; only my second time to the “Land-of-Fruit-and-Nuts”. Any recommendations for things to see down within walking distance of the SF financial district? Or just best to hole-up in the hotel bar?

• Richard Nikoley on February 14, 2017 at 08:22

Oh, tons of places. We have a Worldmark timeshare just off Union Square a did a weekend back last summer.

Tunnel Top Bar. Cool little place that opens around 5.

Daily Grill (both bar and great food, including breakfast.

Cafe Claude. Have the steak tartare for app, steak frites for the meal.

House of Prime Rib. Traditional, with Yorkshire pudding. That’s over on California street so you’ll need an Uber. Reservations recommended.

David’s Deli. Traditional Jewish deli. Have the Pastrami on rye, duh. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on February 14, 2017 at 08:28

….Oh, and you’ll want to check out the Ferry Terminal. Operates all the time but they step it up on Saturday morning will full-blown farmer’s market.

4. ChocoTaco369 on February 14, 2017 at 09:34

The problem is, Richard, that even if you live “in a “red finger” up in the Sierras where there are still plenty of sane people,” you’re still giving your taxes to that criminal government and their scumbag governor. You’re still giving support to the trash in Hollywood that use every podium they see to spout political drivel, like anyone outside of their own lunatic mind cares what they think. You’re helping them get away with it.

• Richard Nikoley on February 14, 2017 at 09:53

Well, but I love my home. Final.

I have no illusions about I’m indeed “part of the problem,” so to speak, but I love my home.