Random Sunday Musings: Politics, Religion, Diet, Instant Pot Chile Verde

A little something for everyone, today

• I suppose that since it’s Super Bowl Sunday, I ought to start off with that.

OK, here goes: I don’t give a shit. Not about the increasingly politicized NFL, not about the increasingly leftist commentators and casters, not about the Dunning-Kruger entertainers, and certainly not about the big corporations who intend to regale football fans with politically-correct, social-justice themed ads at $5 million a pop.

All of you go fuck yourselves.

• On politics.

I’ve been shaking my head so much lately that I’m beginning to have some concern over acquiring some sort of repetitive stress injury. On a trip to the market this morning I was just thinking about it. Shaking my head is mostly all I can do, anymore. My level of outrage has cried wolf so many times, it’s become a self-aclamating new normal and I have little left to give it.

Cue feminist outrage over this. Crickets.

On the issue of Trump’s executive order temporarily barring citizens from seven of the many Arab countries that prohibit Israeli Jews, now temporarily restrained by a federal judge, since when is the US Constitution a suicide pact? In what way do the civil protections therein apply to non-citizens outside this country; indeed, take precedence over them?

You can argue all you want about the effectiveness of the temporary ban—public policy is always imperfect—but it’s difficult to argue that this is not a reasonable measure to take, and nobody’s “rights” are being violated. And, of course, there is executive precedent, and whether or not that’s relevant in the forthcoming judicial proceedings, it certainly does, once again, as always, expose the uniquely odious hypocrisy of the political left.

My prediction is that it will move through the system and the left will, once again, lose. Because they are nothing but losers, they keep doubling down on it, lose more, resulting in increasing levels of outrage on increasingly many things. It’s now far easier to draft a list of what the left isn’t outraged about (e.g., Primitive Islamic Barbarism) than what does outrage them (e.g., Anything and Everything Quintessentially, Proudly American).

To that last point, here’s a worthy read in The Washington Post by Navy War College Professor, Tom Nichols: Chill, America. Not every Trump outrage is outrageous.

libtards

…Specific to Donald Trump, one of the reasons I predicted his eventual win over a year ago, after seeing his first couple of Republican debates and how the Republican establishment was aligning against him while Democrats scoffed at the mere idea, was just that. He was actually more like a third-party candidate running against both parties, only with more brains than the cumulative mass of Libertarians and Greens. And he was doing so on a populist theme that has a foot in both camps. Since winning it all, he has moved to tame the full-on populist theme by appointing a mostly conservative cabinet, demonstrating at least some political allegiance to the party banner he ran under.

Something for everyone, but different because he remains his own man—something those who voted for him love, while something both party establishments hate, which endears him to many even more.

On those themes, see Matthew Continetti’s piece in National Review: Trump Short Circuits Washington – The open war between the establishment and President Trump.

• On Religion.

What a curious spot in which I find myself, having for years ridiculed and mocked Western religious institutions. …The idea of faith in general—only to find that the misguided ideas and actions of the left represent the most faith-based and viciously allegiant cult of all!

Consider the irony over making a big deal over people’s ideas of some supreme being in an Enlightened society—that upholds the right of peaceful people to choose their own variation or style, or none at all—while at the same time, aligning with so-called atheists whose God, in practice, is a leftist, oppressive, egalitarian, secular State under the banner of “social justice,” with all its saints, angels, devils and demons intact; where, so vitriolic is their disdain for any sort of classically liberal enlightenment under various banners of tame, faith-based inertia, that they will riot in defense of the most oppressive, barbarian religious institution Earth has ever seen: Islam.

Well, I stand in League, then, with the various flavors of American-syled religious faith. While I can quibble with their faith-based ideas and the fundamental reasons on which they base their conclusions, I see a lot of people with their hearts in the right place. I see no such thing from the left, but rather, a desire to impose their “social justice,” no matter how many hundreds of millions of corpses it takes. The Bolshevik revolution and everyone after has been leftist, “social-justice” motivated blood baths, their roots going all the way back to the terrible French Revolution, the birth of secular political leftism.

• On Diet.

Staying on the political and religious themes for a while, I have been utterly shocked during the last year of this historic political process to observe how many prominent diet and health gurus and personalities are lefty loons of the highest gobsmacked order. Embarrassing. More head shaking and puzzlement, over how one can trust their honesty and forthrightness in any aspect of diet and health when they don’t have the capacity to see through the thinnest of propaganda and bold-faced lies—all while exposing a woeful ignorance over all things American civics, judicial procedure, enumerated powers, due authority of the executive branch, and the list goes on long (see  Nichols, again).

I probably know most of the Paleo-ish / LC personalities that lean classically liberal, conservative, or libertarian. Why? Because they themselves have seen fit to make me aware of it. It’s a damn short list. Way too short.

…So the other day, I signaled a bit of conciliation towards low-carb diets that, depending on your point of view, may sound like backpedaling, refining the message, or however else you care to see it. This morning, I was mulling over what are the absolute bare essentials that often put me at odds with low-carbers.

1. Making it low-protein too. I am proudly the fist to righteously and publicly mock Jimmy Moore over his “protein is like chocolate cake” bullshit back in 2012, over four years ago.
  2. Failure to draw critical distinctions between carbohydrates, as they are so fond of doing for fats. A coke is not a potato is not a loaf of feed-lot-animal-fortified Wonder bread is not an apple, etc.
  3. Mission creep. The original Atkins—with its two-week keto-induction, followed by adjustments up to 120g daily—compared to today’s blood-keto and breath testing obsessed is like performing an abortion in Catholic church.

• Instant Pot Chile Verde

img_0298

I’ve been doing this recipe forever. Conventionally, you’re looking at minimum of four hours, because you’ll need at least three hours stovetop simmer to get the pork tender and falling off the chop bones. I have also done it many times in the crock pot, taking even longer.

Today’s task was to test the limits of the Instant Pot (see here for more detail), which I now use several times per week and have yet to scratch the surface of in terms of versatility and ease. The mission: my chile verde recipe as quickly as possible. This is my breakfast version. Remember, “verde” refers to using green peppers instead of red (“chile colorado“). The tomatoes and black olives (with their trace brine), instead of roasted tomatillos gives it a wonderful tangy bite that pairs perfectly with a runny egg yolk. For a dinner meal, same recipe using roasted tomatillos, and skip the olives.

INGEDIENTS

• 2 regular cans of diced or crushed tomatoes (or 1 large)
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 2 cans medium black olives, drained
  • 2 medium yellow onions, diced
  • 6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 6-10 medium to large jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped / diced / minced
  • 1 TBS salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 3 pounds of bone-in, center-cut pork chops

PROCESS

1. Place all ingredients except the pork in the Instant Pot, stir, and tun on the sauté function. This is merely to preheat it while you dice up your pork.
  2. Trim the meat away from the bone and any large fat on the bone and toss the bones in the pot as you work. Trim the fat band around the now boneless chops and discard. Cube the chops into about 1″ and toss them in the pot as you work.
  3. Turn the pot off, stir everything up, seal, and turn it onto the Meat/Stew function, which by default is 45 minutes at high pressure.
  4. It should take 20 minutes or so for the temp and pressure to reach the point when the clock begins. At the end of the process, turn off and let the pressure naturally release, which should take another 20 minutes.
  5. Stir, and season with additional salt, if needed, to taste.

img_0300

Pretty low-carb, too. The tortilla is Siete Cassava & Coconut Flour Tortillas, Paleo Approved. Expensive, but ordering a bunch direct from them keeps shipping cost down, and they keep forever in the freezer. 12g carb each. You can skip the pinto beans too, but a small portion isn’t particularly carby.

Alright, and now I shall continue on not caring about the Super Bowl…

1. Lute Nikoley on February 5, 2017 at 15:29

Excellent post, I love it beginning to end. I hope you don’t mind me sharing this on FB.

2. Karl Sanders on February 5, 2017 at 15:35

Hi Richard,
    I’m following the events since November and i am stunned by what is happening. The violence and the unwill to even consider the facts from the left, the lack of anyargumetation exept the ridiculous reductio ad hitlerum… i never saw this before on such a scale. I just saw the reactions on your president’ s latest tweets and it looks like the product of the art therapy class of an aysylum for sexual deviants. I mean, a rant on a personal blog, ok, but this filth directly addressed to an elected president…
    The lack of any willingness to even engage in a discussion is scary. I followed Scott Adams for some guidance and he predicted a lot of this, a lot to do with the persuasion by Clintons’s team (godzilla) that Trump is evil. I just hope that eventually his successes will calm this situation down.
    And here in Europe we will soon see similar situations, only worse. 50 % of the people is fed up in France, in the Netherlands, in Italy etc. But I see no Trump here and this war will be fought with different results in all these countries. Add many more militant muslims to the mix and the ties they have with the left and it is clear that the mess here will be gigantic. Hard times coming.
    Completely idiotic is that people here that are aware of the problems, don’t like Trump. For once there is a guy who sticks out his head and these people are too indoctrinated to recognize a good thing when they see it.
    I have very similar feelings concerning religion and I appreciate your honesty in describing yours. I’ve recently given up on taking every occasion to let people know that religion has no place in my life. If they go to church I consider these people part of our culture, worth protecting.
    Lets see in may what hapens here in France. In the meantime , hope you do well. You stuck out your neck often, take care for the crazies!

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2017 at 16:15

Good to hear from you “axeman” Karl.

How are the two Lady LePen’s fairing, in France?

Face needs them, as much as UK needs a new Thatcher.

• Hap on February 5, 2017 at 22:32

Yes…I though Theresa May might have been a start…but she went back to Britain after love festing with DT and added her voice to the chorus of naysayers. I wonder who she was pandering to?

• Karl Sanders on February 6, 2017 at 00:40

Thanks Richard,
      Le Pen’s chances got even better now that the left has decided to smear attack Fillon, the candidate of the right. They chose Melenchon for the left, a lunatic advocating “less work hours (“35->32 !), more free money and tax the robots”. They are murdering Fillon and thus open the door wide for Le Pen, except if Macron can pull some weight (this is a former socialist with some populist ideas). But my feeling is that France is still very much a socialist country for 50 %, despite the Hollande disaster and from the other 50 % there may still be a significant part choosing for free money. I bet it’s Macron-Le Pen , with slight advantage for Macron, who appeals to “reasonable” people from left and right and the misery will continue.

But for me, Le Pen is not the answer. She is no Trump. Extreme she may be, but over the years she has become part of the political system. We need somebody from outside the system to drain the swamp. A bunch of proud boys to do what is necessary.

3. Peter on February 5, 2017 at 18:12

First, your Chile Verde recipe looks pretty good, but I think I’ll skip trimming the fat. Second, I take it you think we should base our immigration policy on which Arab countries prohibit Israeli Jews. Israeli passports don’t indicate religion, so how do these Arab countries that prohibit Israeli Jews, distinguish between Muslim and Christian Israelis and Jewish Israelis? You do know that not all Israeli citizens are Jews, don’t you?

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2017 at 18:49

Peter:

Trim the fat. It gives you caloric headroom and the fat diminishes the texture of the dish.

Or, do you have about a thousand cooking posts where you get to show me in a half dozen links where you know best? And, are you being religious about fat? Do you care about making the dish taste best, with the best texture, or are you preaching?

See, the foregoing was basically pre-figured for the first moron to take my bait, because I knew it would happen.

Congratulations, you win the boobbie prize, but thanks also, because you sustain a cost for the benefit of getting others to think. It’s one thing to write it myself, but way better for someone to write it for you.

As for your political views, well, I’ve spent my casting pealrs before swine for a day.

You take care of yourself. That fat won’t probably kill you, but there is no need to show off and many people you love and admire could do with a bit of moderation.

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2017 at 19:04

And by the way, dude, do you really, really, really want to attempt to get into various distinctions about how Muslim countries hate Jews and Israelis, regardless of religious affiliation, which is the blithe distinction you’re trying to make?

Let me put it this way: you are either fucktarded or ignorant.

In the first case, you have such little knowledge of actual history and facts on the ground, that you’re simply too stupid for anyone of philosophic and historical disposition to waste any time on your pathetic ass. In the second case, you have such little knowledge of actual history and facts on the ground, that you’re simply too stupid for anyone of philosophic and historical disposition to waste any time on your pathetic ass.

See, I just made a “critical distinction.”

• S. Nikoley on February 5, 2017 at 21:01

If you are a US citizen (or any other country for that matter) and you travel to Israel and other Middle East countries you have to have two passport. If you have an Israel entry stamp in your passport you will be denied entry into all Middle East (Muslim) countries, doesn’t matter if you live there or travele there for business. Go to Israel no entry to other ME countries. There are few reasons you can get a duplicate passport in the US, the need to travel to Israel is the most common.

4. Hap on February 5, 2017 at 21:50

It’s time we started climbing out of the foxhole (or hell hole) of being hammered for “judgementalism” and “discrimination”. Discrimination and distinction is crucial for saving lives…like our own. I wish we were “extreme vetting” the Left, but they are doing that for us. I don’t have to emulate McCarthy and waive around lists or notices of Communist activity. they carry their own signs for God’s sake. The Left likes to think that their notions are “critical thinking”. It’s nothing but dogma and that goes for everything……diets not exempt….

It is odd that I keep seeing news claiming that billionaires are the “new preppers”. Now why the fuck would they do that?……..:) It’s one thing to be worried about The Bomb and another to be wary of Radical (or maybe not so radical) Islam. But an Islamist with a Bomb is likely to ruin a lot of Lefty days…….but the LEft wish for depopulation will be realized, and thereby the planet is “saved”. Yay for Mother Earth free from the scourge of human beings.

The small Jewish (but mainly secular) state is our bellweather and we should pay heed. The canary in the mine, of surrounding “predominantly” Muslim countries that kicked out their Jews, but decry US discrimination.

However, regarding specific American interests…….we should be consoled, slightly, that someone in the Oval Office, who has incredible cojones, is on the job and somehow I think he can mete out a bigger thrashing than he has to withstand…..and that is saying something. Please tell me I”m not engaged in self deception!!!

However, I will admit. I am a pussy, a weenie. Work part time for UC and I could withstand resignation, but I don’t yet act.

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2017 at 22:59

Hap.

I’ve been communicating with a lot. The general thread is that Trump has balls that trump and everyone hopes he wags them all over the place.

Reagan was a hope for me, became a disappointment.

Maybe this time will be different.

Fuck the left, and the agenda they are too historically ignorant to understand. It goes back to the awful French Rvolution.

Eceyone ought be Googling that to get up to speed. 220 years in the making.

• hap on February 6, 2017 at 09:16

I do have to regularly remind myself of the alternative presented to trump……and to Reagan.

5. EDR on February 5, 2017 at 22:31

Funny, I was just looking at some tortillas in the health food store yesterday that were labelled “healthy” and paleo. They were made of pumpkin seeds and something else…but when I saw Xanthan Gum listed in the ingredients I tossed them back and went for good ol’ corn and lime ones. Some of those thickening agents just don’t agree with me.

Oh, and fuck the Superbowl. I didn’t even realize it was happening until this past Friday when someone at work mentioned it and told my colleagues as much. I got the usual looks I’ve received my entire life…yep, I don’t watch sports, call me a pussy, whatever floats your boat, meatheads. 🙂

6. pinkface on February 5, 2017 at 23:00

I am still fucking disgusted at the silence from feminists on these sort of infractions. Where is the outrage?

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2017 at 23:39

White men who sign the front of the paychecks are the far bigger threat.

As the fake goes, she might get 30% less, but it’s far better to be raped, because at least she’ll b able to sit at home.

…And people think I joke.

That feminists don’t go after the Muslim men is a signal everyone ought be paying attention to.

• Richard Nikoley on February 5, 2017 at 23:51

…And Dude, “pink face,” you would get some respect with a name, but please do not drop a link in my comments without comment like you own the place.

I summarily deleted the shit without even looking. I can tolerate anon, but you have to go many more miles to earn it (see Duck Dodgers).

You don’t get to just drop a link,

7. Dave on February 6, 2017 at 03:03

If I’m using boneless pork, shoulder for example, how much would you use (2 lbs.)?

Any adjustments for a crock pot version?

Looks delicious.

• Richard Nikoley on February 6, 2017 at 07:53

Ah, 2.5 lbs min, but 3 is OK.

For the crock pot version, I usually brown the cubed pork and you can also pre-sauté the veggies except tomatoes. But, not really necessary.

8. ramon on February 6, 2017 at 05:16

I need to try that one. don’t have an instant pot so may have to try and simulate.

Look at poor Jimmy. Must be 300 lbs.

• ramon on February 6, 2017 at 08:41

well, I’ll do the 4 hour thing

• poop monster on February 7, 2017 at 12:02

Has Jimmy ever done a chart plot of his calories consumed versus changes in his weight? I would be interested in the results if he has.

• Richard Nikoley on February 7, 2017 at 14:54

LOL.

Why would he do such a plot? Calories don’t count.

9. John on February 7, 2017 at 07:15

Great post – your evolution of religious thought is much like mine (as we discussed on FB).

The thinkers I respect and listen to the most seem to have had a similar evolution in thinking on this.

• Richard Nikoley on February 7, 2017 at 07:37

I think the “new atheist” thing was valuable. But it wasn’t the end of it.

• John on February 8, 2017 at 09:19

Yes, the argument always swings too far past the truth. Hopefully each swing back stays closer going forward.

10. thhq on February 7, 2017 at 11:16

Chile verde for me starts with a crockpotted 3 lb pork shoulder cooked all day eith worchestershire garlic and onions. I pull the meat and put it in a skillet with the pot liquor. In goes a jar of salsa, a couple avocados and a can of whole green chiles, with S&P to taste. Simmer and reduce a little.

Part two. Steam a cup of dry rice. Mix the cooked rice with some of the juice squeezed from the skillet meat mix. Pack this into the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer the meat mix on top. Cover the meat with shredded cheese like jack or cheddar, sliced green onions, sliced black olives and avocados. Broil to melt the cheese. Serve with a tortilla or two.

The dish tastes better as a leftover. The flavor improves as the meat flavor infuses the rice.

11. Nathan on February 8, 2017 at 05:58

“’ve been shaking my head so much lately that I’m beginning to have some concern over acquiring some sort of repetitive stress injury. On a trip to the market this morning I was just thinking about it. Shaking my head is mostly all I can do, anymore. My level of outrage has cried wolf so many times, it’s become a self-aclamating new normal and I have little left to give it.”

This is me. Quite often I think to share some link and/or comment on FB about the latest leftist B.S., and then I just think, why bother? If people can’t wake up to it by now, witnessing the lefty melt downs and outright violence, then they’re beyond hope. It’s not worth my time.

And also, I’d hate to actually have the left learn from their mistakes. They’re doing a damned fine job of imploding. Let’s not interrupt them from doing so. Next: voting in Keith Ellis as DNC chair. Demo whiteys are gonna start (or continue, I suppose) wising up as they’re told to shut up and get to the back of the bus.

• May on February 8, 2017 at 10:07

Confusionism reigns now, Kelly Anne’s “alternative facts” should have raised at least a teeny weeny red flag, you might as well stop using words such as left and right, all meaning will soon be sucked out of them. Is Putin left or right? TV channel RT is definitely defined as left and supposedly Putin’s propaganda bugle, George Galloway until the last election when he lost his parliamentary seat to a moderate muslim in Bradford was the most left wing MP in the UK, standing as a member of the pro-muslim Respect Party and entering the House Of Commons as said party’s only member, he has a half hour programme on RT called Sputnik. Wait and see, how will you judge – falsehoods will be deemed true and visa versa.

12. David Seng on February 9, 2017 at 09:39

Jordan Peterson, check him out if you haven’t yet.

He is a professor who recently received focus for refusing to use someone’s preferred gender pronoun — and the backlash. He has made the rounds on several podcasts I listen to. I’ve been consuming his content on his youtube page for the last month or two. I’ve slowed down but the ideas… I’m almost ashamed to admit that I almost had a panic attack discussing some of the content with my colleagues. I think I’ve slowed down just because I need to consume it a bit more slowly. He has done a lot of thinking around “Why are we here?”, “dominance hierarchies”, meaning behind religion. When describes what he sees as the meaning behind “Pinocchio”, at one point he choked me up but the whole presentation is just extremely eye opening for me. https://www.youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos/videos, a Pinochhio analysis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdAdf4watJQ

13. Jason Heard on February 9, 2017 at 17:01

Richard, I’ve owned an Instant Pot for years but never started using it until recently. I can say your chili verde recipe is one of the best meals I’ve ever made. Thanks and I look forward to checking out your others and hope you post more.

Jason Heard