When Will The Left Turn Their Lights On?

Holy Hell. When in the Fuck—after decades and decades—will people get it?

img_0373

1. poop monster on February 16, 2017 at 01:33

I am not exactly sure what it is you’re referring to but I like your porch better than Jimmy’s porch – check out Jimmy’s porch on his Facebook page.

2. Hap on February 16, 2017 at 08:39

North Korea is advanced in an obama style, skyrocketing electric prices, economy.

Just wondering…..in my neck of woods many tesla cars with “zero emissions” tattooed on plates. Does this include the plants that generate the electricity?

• poop monster on February 16, 2017 at 08:52

Ah! Thanks Hap. North korea! I get it now. Just to be sure, China has plenty of lights on and it’s communist which is still pretty left IMFHO.

3. Bret on February 16, 2017 at 15:39

Richard, do you remember writing this article in June 2014?

Forced Sharing is Commie Collectivist Bullshit; Voluntary Sharing is Normal Animal Behavior

Fucking brilliant words. That has remained imprinted on my brain ever since I’ve read it. It really is that simple, and puts a lot of things into perspective.

When examining, for instance, the different cultures that have experimented with socialism/communism and enjoyed better success than Mother Russia, it’s obvious that their small size, cultural/ancestral homogeneity, and scarcity-induced dependence have resulted in much more voluntary solidarity towards that end than would ever be possible in a place like the U.S., antithetical in each of those elements.

Or North Korea, where there is obviously no existing solidarity, only extremely brutal implementation by violence and threat thereof. The Kim dynasty has managed to hold their bloodbath of statism together much longer than the USSR did, and has a lot to show for it. Its loyal-at-gunpoint citizens, not so much.

Donations to church and charity are examples of voluntary sharing. Taxes are forced.

The social cost of refusal to share that you wrote about applies to gay wedding cakes, for instance—selling is not exactly sharing, but highly related, being voluntary actions. Bakers that refuse to serve will pay some sort of social cost (varying based on geography). It is up to the bakers to decide whether to pay this social cost, since they bear every other cost. Anything else, is Commie Collectivist Bullshit.

• Richard Nikoley on February 16, 2017 at 17:04

Hey Bret.

First, thanks.

Second, while I remember everything, not everything is in my frame of reference all the time.

Yea, just reread it and it motivated me to share more posts of that quality. I’ve been doing more quantity lately, but there’s a reason. The blog stats were slumping. I got a bit lazy. Over 50% increase in daily visits in a week, plus did a few tweaks to be more favorable to Google natural search, where more than 50% of visits come from.

Thanks again, Bret. That’s a damn touching comment, and only 2 days after Valentines. 🙂

• Jbg on February 17, 2017 at 18:14

“…their small size, cultural/ancestral homogeneity, and scarcity-induced dependence…”. These attributes seem to describe N. Korea pretty accurately.

• Bret on February 17, 2017 at 19:27

Korea has plenty of access to resources, right off the ocean. So, no on the scarcity front.

The other two qualities, relatively applicable. And if their system of socialism didn’t involve the forced, unconditional worship of a violent dictator, it might work better. The citizens might have trivial amenities, like lights. Or Google.

This is only relevant *if* the people wanted socialism in the first place. Voluntary.

4. Martin Archer on February 16, 2017 at 20:19

Your comments on your blog traffic make me think that your blog is indeed a serious source of your living, ongoing income. I thought this was just pocket money for you. I have no interest in your actual personal income. It is your business, not mine. But as a potential blogger or youtuber it would be nice to be granted some ballpark figures from someone who knows, to give a measure, a target to hit, what kind of money could be earned from certain amounts of traffic. There are so many bloggers and youtubers I follow who seem to churn out their work so much that it seems like its more like their full time job than anything else they claim to be. There are just no solid numbers about youtube ad revenue or google ad revenue that anyone discloses. All I’d like to see are ballpark figures, not specifics, so I could aim at a certain readership per month as a target for a certain income level. Thank you – I’d love to hear anything you’d care to disclose

• poop monster on February 16, 2017 at 23:39

I would guess $20,000 to $35,000 per annum. I have no fucking idea to be honest though.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2017 at 07:24

That’s pretty ballpark, poop, though less this last year because I effed off so much, probably about half that, haven’t tallied everything up yet.

It’s also something I don’t obsess over. I’m not in it for the money. Just nice to have.

….Read an article yesterday about some dude I’d never heard of, PewDePie or some dumb shit who makes ridiculous YouTube videos, has 35 million subscribers and did $7.4 million last year.

• ilovebeans on February 17, 2017 at 14:11

Yeah, PewDiePie is almost at 15 billion views now. There’s another channel approaching that number which reviews Disney toys, and by review I mean takes them out of the packaging and plays with them for a couple of minutes.

There’s people that stream themselves playing video games (on Twitch.tv, owned by Amazon) who make over $50,000 per month from subscriptions, a minimum of $1000 a day from donations and whatever else they get from ad revenue and sponsorships.

• Richard Nikoley on February 17, 2017 at 14:28

Of course.

5. Nathan on February 18, 2017 at 05:25

The PewDiePie phenomenon (not just him, but the whole “genre”) is just another sign of the impending apocalypse. Bread and Circuses. Mindless idiots spending their resources on pure crap. UFB

6. Jennifer Wilson on February 19, 2017 at 17:30

Fuck those video game and toy review youtube channels! Especially the ones where the parents exploit their kids to make $$$! Every kid I know is hooked on these. They’d rather watch other kids “unbox” and play with toys than do so themselves. And most parents are too dumb to realize these are nothing more than advertisements. Some even think they’re “educational”!

The other day I took my kids to the dentist. My kids were reading books and playing with the legos they had there while another kid sat with his laptop on one of these channels, glued to the screen. These parents are turning their children into zombies! Even when I take my kids to the park, there will be at least one child who has a tablet, and pretty soon all the kids are huddled together watching this crap.

As for turning the lights on, I have no idea WTF you’re talking about. Liberals are obviously the retarded party at the moment, but conservatives were pretty dumb under the Bush administration.

• Alan Donelson on February 23, 2017 at 10:08

“[Turn] your lights on” — what came to my mind, immediately and forcefully,
      was Santana’s tune, Put Your Lights On.

Hey now, all you sinners
      Put your lights on, put your lights on
      Hey now, all you lovers
      Put your lights on, put your lights on

Hey now, all you killers
      Put your lights on, put your lights on
      Hey now, all you children
      Leave your lights on, you better leave your lights on

‘Cause there’s a monster living under my bed
      Whispering in my ear
      There’s an angel, with a hand on my head
      She say I’ve got nothing to fear

There’s a darkness deep in my soul
      I still got a purpose to serve
      So let your light shine, into my hole
      God, don’t let me lose my nerve,don’t let me lose my nerve

Hey now, hey now, hey now, hey now
      Wo oh hey now, hey now, hey now, hey now

Hey now, all you sinners
      Put your lights on, put your lights on
      Hey now, all you children
      Leave your lights on, you better leave your lights on

‘Cause there’s a monster living under my bed
      Whispering in my ear
      There’s an angel, with a hand on my head
      She say I’ve got nothing to fear
      She say La ill aha ill allah
      We all shine like stars
      La ill aha ill allah
      We all shine like stars
      Then we fade away

Read more: Santana – Put Your Lights On Lyrics | MetroLyrics

7. Beans McGrady on February 21, 2017 at 16:16

Actually, Pewdiepie has evolved quite a bit from the video game vids in 2012.
    He is a pretty smart cookie.
    Most of his audience are teens, and have been since the beginning, which means he has a constantly changing market.
    He is also embroiled in a controversy becuase the WSJ sifted through thousands of hours of videos to find änti-semetic”jokes to take out of context in order to demonize him.
    They attacked the biggest youtuber for a reason, it is the old media flailing at the new in the midst of its death throes.
    It is worth checking out. His content is a little young for me, but he has a history of stanfding up for smaller channels and such.
    Yes, Pewdiepie has become a new symbol of the fight for freedom of expression.

• Jennifer Wilson on February 23, 2017 at 07:57

You are ridiculous.

• Beans McGrady on February 23, 2017 at 08:33

Fuck you lady.

8. Beans McGrady on February 23, 2017 at 08:34

Say something that has a point cunt.