Want To Get Uber Fat? Jimmy Moore Can Help You

I was on a forum the other day and someone posed the question: how might they gain weight on a ketogenic diet.

The answer to the question is obvious. jimmy moore is the world-champion for gaining weight on a low-carb or ketogenic diet. Nobody comes close to how many pounds he can pack on “gaining health” whilst fleecing sycophantic morons who lack so much core conscience that they don’t give a shit that the dude is a menace to innocent people.

IMG_0432

Beyond that abject laughing stock, here’s evidence that Jimmy Moore and someone called Dr. Nally are harming people via a forum I’m told is a joint effort.

18120399_10208837874009503_83801230_o

18110081_10208837874169507_144180354_o

18120318_10208837874489515_1997117911_o

18160023_10208837874249509_1076620691_o

One more pic.

18157784_444602939205445_7843250443146139834_n

The destruction of all that jimmy moore has been about is well underway. He needs to go broke and find honest work. Right? He should completely lose all income he derives from this. Right?

Every person who supports this shit has a fucking screw loose, and they ought not think I don’t know it. Everyone has their own level of outrage. This is true. The outrage with this monstrous bullshit is far beyond palpable. It’s veritably tangible.

Elixa Probiotic is a British biotech manufacturer in Oxford, UK. U.S. Demand is now so high they’ve established distribution centers in Illinois, Nevada, and New Jersey.

Still, sell-outs happen regularly, so order now to avoid a waiting list.

1. John on April 24, 2017 at 21:16

It is a bizarre time when someone can be morbidly obese, and still make a living as a diet guru. How in the hell is that possible?

His forum is just as bad, maybe worse, than the forum for 30 Bananas a Day. And while I think they’re crazy, at least Harley and Freelee stayed thin.

Jimmy should in no way be giving out dietary advice. He should probably be seeking out the care of a competent physician, familiar with nutrition and metabolism. He made the “Protein is like Chocolate Cake” statement in late 2012, so this is five years of “Nutritional Ketosis?” He is in totally uncharted territory at this point. Even when doctors put epileptic kids on the Keto diet, it only lasts 2-3 years.

• Richard Nikoley on April 24, 2017 at 21:59

You nailed down every essential point there, John.

• Phil on April 25, 2017 at 05:39

I took charge of my own well-being in disgust after meeting with the 3rd morbidly obese “nutritionist” assigned by my primary “care” physician (who, by the way, misdiagnosed my late-onset T1D as T2D and spent more than a year prescribing whichever pills got her the best rewards from pharma sales incentives — I always knew my meds were changing when I noticed new branded pens, clipboards, posters, etc in the waiting room).

Anyway, I found Free the Animal in 2010 or so, and I’ve followed a lot of the same exploration that Richard has over the years, including keto diets. Richard is not wrong comparing it to religious belief. It feels like a miracle early on, but reality intrudes…. that comment thread just reeks of rationalization and denial.

Of all the bloggers I’ve followed over the years, Richard is the ONLY one left. He seeks the truth, and follows the evidence where it leads. Whatever else we might disagree on, that kind of integrity is incredibly rare.

• Gobe on April 25, 2017 at 07:25

Jimmy it seems is successful in his career because he is sincere in his beliefs and he is a good businessman. On the subject of being possibly flawed in ideology and as a person, I for one never put Jimmy on that pedestal of being a diet guru, and so I have no need to condemn him on those grounds. I choose my own path when it comes to diet and nutrition, as I know it is a highly individual thing based on a person’s specific physiology. Fasting as a conscious dietary strategy is particularly interesting to me as of late so I am happy that he has launched his Fasting Talk podcast Dr Fung and his colleague.

• Richard Nikoley on April 25, 2017 at 07:54

My favorite sort of comment, Phil.

Stand by for another bombshell contrast where folks who ought to know better than dig in, do.

It’ll be posted today.

2. Daniel F on April 25, 2017 at 01:31

Those Facebook comments wouldn’t need any changes even if they were parody.

3. thhq on April 25, 2017 at 05:30

It takes time to destroy your body. I didn’t get type 2 diabetes until I was in my mid 50’s but had been overweight/boderline obese most of my life. IMO Jimmy’s on that trajectory until he develops some common sense. The effects of the diabetes chew up ALL your health indicators.

I think Atkins is a good object lesson in what long term keto does. Pictures in the 70’s show him thin and lanky, but by the 90’s he had a jowly face and full body pictures were rarely shown. It was in that period that Bloomburg called him Fatkins and his heart problems started during that period. While the HFLC party line has always been unfortunate heredity, taking some positive action on lipid ratios never hurts.

• JP on April 25, 2017 at 06:33

Yeah, Atkins was 6 feet tall and weighed 258 pounds. And it’s not like he was a muscle-bound powerlifter. He was in his 70s and had a host of health problems.

4. ramon on April 25, 2017 at 05:46

I’ve lost weight and held steady on cyclical ketogenic diets (low fat carb refeeding once a week). when I have lost weight I was limiting calories and or fasting. I have stalled when the fat bombs were too much…duh.

I have lost weight on low fat diets, when I have done that I was limiting calories (periodic refeedings or cheat meals).

meh. Jimmy has been touting the fasting thing for quite some time. He should have lost all his weight by now. but I have lsitened to his fasting pod casts….he has only actually fasted for an extended period twice.

• Ian on October 24, 2018 at 12:33

You shouldn’t stall with fat bombs. It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to overreat on fat.

5. Joe on April 25, 2017 at 06:41

Richard, this is unrelated but I want to thank you and give you credit for something important.

A few years back you wrote a post about vitamin K2 and the book written by Kate Rhéaume (“Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox”) that explained how it is important to take K2 with your D3 supplement, because the K2 helps the body put the calcium where it should be (bones and teeth) and not where it shouldn’t (arteries, joints, etc).

I began taking 90 mcg of K2 (MK-7 form) with my daily 5000 units of D3 back then in 2013.

I just had a HeartScan as a follow up to the HeartScan I had 11 years ago. 11 years ago I had three calcified lesions in my coronary arteries with a calcium score of 4.3 (at age 46) and was at the 55th percentile. Not too great, a little worse than the average man my age. My latest HeartScan came back with a calcium score of 0.0. Zero! The three calcified lesions from 11 years ago are gone. Not only did the calcification not advance, it was completely reversed.

I believe that according to conventional medical wisdom, that should not be possible. I don’t think it can be explained by anything but these possible changes I’ve made: D3, K2, eating pasture butter (Kerrygold) for the natural K2 in it, and intermittent fasting. And frankly I think it’s just the D3/K2. It can’t be anything else because I am as overweight as I was 11 years ago, eat badly, never exercise, and have terrible LDL and low HDL. And I don’t drink at all, so there was no artery cleansing from that. The only positive thing I’ve consistently done over these last years is pop those D3/K2 pills.

And I did it because I read about K2 here. So thank you for that and all due credit to you.

• Hap on April 25, 2017 at 12:14

plaque regression, calcified and non calcified is a documented phenomenon, well known in the medical community.

It does however, not occur without some intervention. Spontaneous regression seems to be quite rare.

In patients on long term Warfarin, the inhibition of vitamin K is well known to cause arterial calcification, but it’s more of a metabolic phenomenon as opposed to atherosclerosis, generally considered an inflammatory condition in conjunction with dyslilpidemia. A simplification…but useable. These warfarin related calcium deposits may also be reversible….or partly.

Coronary artery calcification is an indication of a disease process and a repair attempt. As OBiWan would say…”these are not the plaques you are looking for”… Half of all cases of acute coronary syndrome occur in individuals with no calcification and no warning. Again simplifying as plaques vulnerable to rupture also may have calcification , but it is “spotty” and micro. Not detectable by CT.

Interestingly enough a PET scan with 18FNa does detect these kinds of plaques but the CSC test is so cheap and predictive for the most part, that it is a gold standard. A more achievable goal than regression,is stopping progression. If you can ratchet down the progression of your calcium score, even if relatively high, your risk profile reverts to near that of someone in the very low risk column.

• Richard Nikoley on April 25, 2017 at 07:15

Wow Joe, that’s super fantastic. I may have to get another one of those scans one of these days.

• Richard Nikoley on April 25, 2017 at 12:32

“My understanding bout the MK-4 form of K2 is that it has a short biological half life and is a poor supplement. K7 is a better candidate. However, whatever works……”

I take both forms. The Japanese have done significant research on MK-7. Of course, the highest source is Natto, which I think tastes great.

• Nigel Kinbrum on April 26, 2017 at 05:13

“My understanding bout the MK-4 form of K2 is that it has a short biological half life and is a poor supplement.”

MK-4 disappears from the blood much faster than MK-7. All this means is that MK-4 is stored in adipocytes much faster than MK-7. This is a good thing.

6. Dirk on April 25, 2017 at 08:16

Last time I ate the Standard American Diet was in 1987 when I was in my early 20’s. Go ahead and laf, but I left SAD for Macrobiotics which was pretty much dead even then. In the 80’s, before the internet, there wasn’t much anyone could really move towards other than some form of vegetarianism based on whatever shit book you could find or what some unhealthy looking person told you at the local health food store. At any rate, eating all that brown rice broke the addiction to industrial food so unlike my peers, I have never been overweight as I have moved from one way of eating to another, from one tweak to yet another. I find myself in my early 50’s now, still tweaking, still lean, more muscular than I was way back. People tell me I look like I am in my 30’s and my wife is jealous. Still have my hair and it is still blond. And I still don’t have any answers. I still don’t know what to tell people when they ask my advice other than just give it a go and see what works. I have noticed that most people simply do not want the pain that goes with leaving SAD, content with the even greater pain that comes with keeping that way of eating. I never really took any iteration of Paleo seriously nor any other way of eating I came across because I had been through the Food Religion thing long before Paleo was known and Jimmy Moore was a personality. Everything works until it doesn’t.

• Richard Nikoley on April 25, 2017 at 08:33

Cool comment, Dirk. Thanks for the sanity.

7. Dirk on April 25, 2017 at 08:34

Something I want to share: there is a researcher who is a devotee of the work of Ray Peat who has the resources to manufacture high-quality supplements (topical) and sell them at a reasonable price on his website. His Vitamin K (MK-4) is the only one that has given me visible dental benefits, and I have tried them all.

• Richard Nikoley on April 25, 2017 at 08:56

Go ahead and post the info for ordering and such.

I don’t need to have an affiliate deal in place in advance. 🙂

• Dirk on April 25, 2017 at 09:04

Feel free to take that last post down if needed. I do not know the owner and only came across him at the Ray Peat forum which I am guessing he owns considering that clicking on the product name takes you to a product description on that same forum. Joe, in a post above, mentioned the benefits of Vitamin K so I thought I would share with your readers the highest quality Vitamin K that I have discovered.

• Richard Nikoley on April 25, 2017 at 10:39

Feel free to share the link for purchase.

• DH on April 26, 2017 at 16:31

On the subject of K2 and dental benefits, here are my N=1 results:

Back when resistant starch was all the rage here, I started taking it every morning. I found I was calmer and slept better, but perhaps the most interesting results came at the dentist. I had always had major tartar deposits that had to be scraped off my teeth at every dental appointment. After a few months on RS, the tartar buildup had all but vanished. Only later did I read about gut bacteria as a source of K2, and my hypothesis is that this is the reason for the improvement.

I no longer take RS, but I do eat large amounts of reheated boiled potatoes (convenient to take to work for lunch). Both my gut and my teeth still seem to be happy.

• Richard Nikoley on April 26, 2017 at 19:35

Fabulous. I used to have huge cleanings, even in my 20s. Two gum surgeries in my 40s. Now, mid-50s, I rarely brush, never floss. I use old school wooden toothpicks to dislodge shit before it rots.

8. Sbremiller on April 25, 2017 at 08:56

Hi, Richard,

I’ve been reading you for years, seldom commenting, but often trying different dietary tweaks as you did so. I’ve always respected your transparent willingness to challenge any of the dietary dogma. I drank the LC paleo kool-aid for years, because it worked for me for quite some time. I lost weight, gained energy, improved my body composition, and my lipid profile. Until recently. Within the past couple of years I left an abusive husband, got breast cancer, had major surgery, and the dog died! Lots of stress. And, since the surgery at the end of January, have gained almost 15 pounds back from an ideal, healthy body weight. Now, in desperation, I am trying everything and anything: The Perfect Health Diet (adding safe starches has resulted in increased weight and carb cravings), ketogenesis (was so tired and fatigued I couldn’t function, lasted only 6 days), back to Atkins (still gaining weight.) last week I went to my primary care physician with the chief complaint of tremendous fatigue, particularly during and after my normal exercise (nothing hard-core, yoga and hiking.). He did a lot of blood work: My TSH was WNL, my LDL’s were high, as were my HDL’s and total cholesterol. My triglycerides were low. I’m writing to you not expecting you to magically solve this puzzle of dysfunction, but because I respect your knowledge and honesty. As of right now, what dietary and lifestyle truths do you hold valid? I’m just desperately feeling crappy and don’t know what paradigms to follow anymore. Low/moderate carbs, high/moderate fat, high/moderate protein, ketogenesis, Paleo or something different, count calories or not, etc.please just give me something to believe, to try, even if just to foster the illusion that we can affect our health at all via controlling our diets. Thanks in advance for all the information you have contributed over all the years. (P.s. About the only thing that still holds true for me is the pre/probiotic stuff you taught me. Every AM I drink a shake based on a formula of yours, with whey protein, probiotics, inulin, potato starch, banana and plantain flour, ORAC powder, etc. is this still good advice?)

• Richard Nikoley on April 25, 2017 at 09:11

“what dietary and lifestyle truths do you hold valid?”

Ah, you got down to brass tacks, didn’t you?

Let me give you my top three that I think works for most people most of the time.

1. Lean protein. 1g per pound of body weight daily. This is the gold standard. Body builders are not wrong. Protein gives you so much headroom.

2. Tim Steele’s potato hack. Nothing but plain potatoes (salt or vinegar, no added fat) for a week or two. I consider this more of a therapeutic intervention or reset than #1, but ideally, one would cycle in a spud hack a couple of times per year.

3. Gut food and I think one of the stellar ways is beans. I make 13-bean soups often. Perhaps I’ll add a bit of chopped carrot and potato, and sometimes like a few ounces of Polish sausage in a whole pot.

Give ‘er a whirl and let me know how it goes.

9. Sbremiller on April 25, 2017 at 09:58

Thanks for your reply, Richard. Interestingly enough, I forgot to mention that I have tried Tim’s potato hack several times. I communicated with him directly regarding my efforts and results. (I actually bought and read his book in it’s entirety!). I failed to lose any weight doing it, and even gained 2 pounds last time! He and I reviewed my efforts in detail (I followed it meticulously) and he was at a loss to explain my results, acknowledging I’d given it my best shot. But the most I ever managed was 5 days: Any longer, and I would have shot myself if I had to eat even one more potato, especially given I had gained 2 pounds! Don’t know if I am desperate enough to try it again…
    I do always eat plenty of protein, and that served me well during my initial loss of considerable weight years ago. But I’m having trouble not over-shooting calories with that much protein, the PHD’s 400+ safe carb calories, and a reasonable amount of fat calories. So I’m kind of at a loss as to what to prioritize…I am a post-menopausal female, if that matters, and I know that makes me prone to weight gain.
    I have read posts of yours about beans…My understanding is that they were a paleo no-no because of lectins and phytates. (Neither the Jaminets or Hartwigs think they are a good idea: Which is why I’m asking you!). I’ve been wary of them simply because I don’t have any experience preparing them properly. Are canned ones safe to use? What benefits do they offer over, say, potatoes, sweet potatoes, or white rice?
    Oh, and am I still good using the potato starch/inulin/banana and plantain flours? Thanks again,

• Richard Nikoley on April 25, 2017 at 10:50

“But I’m having trouble not over-shooting calories with that much protein”

Very common, and you know why? Fat typically comes with protein.

This is one area where I say go ahead and go for the protein shakes that are both LC and LF. In real food terms, give a try to lots of water packed tuna, LF cottage cheese, and boneless skinless chicken breast, discarding all drippings.

Not a lifestyle, but a lesson. Don’t know what you weigh, but if you can get 150g of protein in a day, both low fat and low carb, you might get a bit more enlightenment.

• Richard Nikoley on April 25, 2017 at 11:12

Beans are fine, and Darya Rose, my friend and wife of the Internet dude Kevin Rose, claims beans are the automatic cure to obesity.

Eat them however, don’t obsess, I never bother with soaking, etc.

Have at it.

• Hap on April 25, 2017 at 11:31

Sbreimiller

I read your posts and I would just interject one professional opinion….based on a focused observation.

First…TSH is one of the lousiest ways to evaluate thyroid function, and on it’s own, can be worthless. Are you certain you didnot get T4, Free T3, and/or reverse T3? I hear of females with fatigue, funky lipid profiles, weight gain etc and I think it would be valuable to you to get on with a person you trust to drill down deeper into the thryoid function.

You may be fine and continued tinkering with dietary strategies could help. However, thyroid disease and hormonal balance is so common, it makes sense to double back on what could really make a difference.

the real pitfall problem is finding an endocrinologist that is willing to work with you….and not immediately slap you on Synthroid.

FWIW…..good luck

• Z-man on April 26, 2017 at 20:59

Whoa! Darya Rose is almost 40! I thought she was in her early 20’s – going by her photos anyway.

10. Sbremiller on April 25, 2017 at 14:25

Thanks, Richard. I’m going to go ahead and work on getting the 150 grams of protein (I weigh 144#) daily. That is what worked for me for many years during which I lost weight and had great energy levels. One thing you have taught me is that there is not one perfect diet for everyone, and the only way to know what works is to try it! So I’m going to do some beans as well…I always used to enjoy them in my chili. It’s just amazing to me that I have all these damn books, that I have actually read, and still haven’t found an eating plan that works consistently over the long-term. (The Paleo Solution, It Starts With Food, The Perfect Health Diet, Your Personal Paleo Code, The Potato Hack, etc.). The only thing I know for sure is what I got from you re: resistant starch and pro-biotics. I did Elixa and started potato starch a couple years ago, and my intestines behave ridiculously consistently and trouble-free. So my guts thank you!

11. Sbremiller on April 25, 2017 at 14:41

I mean this reply to be to Hap regarding thyroid function, but don’t know if it is going to post in the right place: My doctor only tested my TSH, despite the fact that I specifically asked him to also test t3 and t4. 🙁 My TSH was 0.97, which appears to be WNL. It made me unhappy that he refused to do as I asked. If I do persist and try to find an endocrinologist to pursue this further, what alternatives to Synthroid are there if I am found to have a hypoactive thyroid? My hairdresser even mentioned recently that my hair is inexplicably thinning. Yikes! Thank you for your interest…

• Justin Watts on April 25, 2017 at 18:58

An endocrinologist can tell you if you need more or less iodine in the diet, depending on your thyroid issues. If you need more, Kombu is a seaweed high in iodine. You can buy it dried at an Asian grocer or Whole Foods. Break off an inch of it and put in the pot when making rice or soup. You can also put a bigger piece in if making a giant pot of stock. It won’t change the taste unless you put a big piece in. If you put it in with beans it gives them a better texture, and from what I’ve read supposedly helps break down the lectins, etc in them.

Again consult an endocrinologist, as I’ve read not to go crazy on the seaweed as it can potentially supply too much iodine. Good luck with everything.

• Hap on April 25, 2017 at 19:50

There are a number of options and thyroid hormone can be custom compounded. First get the testing and try to sort things out.

12. Resurgent on April 25, 2017 at 18:04

Richard,

The quality of this blog and the quality of the readers/followers who put in intelligent comments, goes on striking new highs with every post. Congratulations !

13. VW on April 25, 2017 at 19:34

I always read that Jimmy is nice in person and whatnot….. so what?

He’s a goddamned fraud and piece of shit. There is literally no way possible that any rational, decent person in his (fat) shoes could get the results he gets and continue to profit off the stupidity of his followers as he does, unless the person is a crook. Jimmy is either mentally retarded or a crook, or both.

He’s a fraud and joke. I don’t want anyone locked up, but I do want to see that fat piece of shit stopped. I’ve felt this way for years. The entire last decade as he has continued to bilk his readers, I’ve remained 5’11” and 170 pounds. Fuck him. Pay me. Send me on cruises. Goddamn that fat sorry ass, he needs to get a real job.

Haters make him famous, or whatever that stupid t-shirt he wore in that picture. Fuck him. Holier-than-thou hypocritical piece of shit.

• Z-man on April 26, 2017 at 20:49

Weren’t you banned VW? When were you allowed back?

• VW on April 27, 2017 at 16:08

Yeah, I think I’ve been banned twice (maybe just once, I don’t remember). The host here is a pretty nice guy, though, so the bannings have not stuck. So far.

14. Rob on April 25, 2017 at 22:01

I too now find it hard to lose. I am basically sedentary now due to chronic fatigue from sleep apnea. I’ve gone back to meat and non-starchy vegetables. That way at least my hunger is kept at bay. Maybe I should up the protein. I did try the potato hack a couple of years ago and had great results. Then I tried the “starch diet” as pushed by McDougall, and I gained the weight back. Subsequent tries with tater hacking have been unsuccessful.

15. Robert on April 26, 2017 at 01:57

Interesting recent blog post by Dr Annika Dahlqvist. She founded the Swedish LCHF movement 13 years ago, and allegedly coined the term LCHF. She is now retired from working as a Doctor, and she just has her blog. Doesn’t sell anything, maybe just giving a lecture now and then.

The post is called “What do I eat these days?” She says: “I try to eat what’s realistic for normal people to eat. It means I don’t believe in extreme intakes of macros or micro nutrients. I don’t believe in eating huge amounts of fat, just not eating low-fat, and good natural fats. I try to avoid sugar as far as possible, and also starch. No pasta, no rice – but sometimes I eat some potatoes or slice of bread. I like veggies, eat lots of them. I also try to eat less. I’m not very physically active, and I don’t need so much food.”

Our low carb guru trumps yours 🙂

16. Robert on April 26, 2017 at 05:17

Lots of praise for Richard and his blog in the comments of this post. The praise is due.

I’ve been reading this blog for 6+ months, and also feel that it’s crowding out any other health blogs, except Tim Steele’s. I occasionally visit Dietdoctor still. But nothing new there. I already know saturated fats won’t kill me, and that you can lose weight and control diabetes by cutting carbs. Nothing new, always the same. And lately, more and more Keto, less and less reasonableness.

This blog cured me of carbphobia. I came here when looking for info on resistant starch, and have spent months going through those posts and the thousands of comments, and the level of thinking is very high. It’s unbiased, not locked into preconceived notions. And only then can true honesty be achieved.

So, thank you Richard, and all commenters. You are making a real difference for people, and all free of charge.

17. EDR on April 26, 2017 at 07:41

I had no idea who this guy even was. When I got into LC eating a few years ago, I gave up trying to tell people that I studied the diets of pre-steroid bodybuilders (Vince Gironda, in particular) and just told people I was “paleo” since most of them new the new buzzword.

It wasn’t until a few years later that I finally read a few books on the subject and found that it was similar to what I was doing. Since then I’ve distanced myself from the paleo/primal crowd as much as possible. Mindless drones…no thanks.

18. Z-man on April 26, 2017 at 12:55

You said it way back when Richard when you said anyone who is losing weight is on a high fat diet.

19. jethro on April 28, 2017 at 10:43

In 2013, at 250 lb at 5’10”, I went HFLC. I went to 195 but stalled there. In 2015 I discovered Dr. Fung’s fasting protocols, adopted them and brought my weight down to my current 150, although I dropped HFLC and ate whatever I wanted. Evidently, calories count. Since Dr. Fung is associated with Jimmy, I have to wonder why it hasn’t worked for him. Is his damaged metabolism real?

With that being said, I believe that nobody is all bad, including Jimmy. Heck, right now he is skinnier than some NFL linemen and sumo wrestlers.