I’ve Been Away Meditating For A While

Here’s my short 1-minute tutorial.

1. Jenn on May 28, 2017 at 14:43

LOL, that’s how to do it! ?

• Badbrad on May 29, 2017 at 06:17

This mornings routine will be; deadlift, weighted pull ups, and and then a few peaceful moments of, “Fuck that!”

2. Beans McGrady on May 29, 2017 at 11:12

This should actually be applied unironically.
    I am in the process of distancing myself from a Buddhist community that has gone full blown progressive. (oldly, progressivism is doctrinaly at odds with Buddhism in almost every conceivable way, while looking compatible on the surface.)
    The guided meditation you provided is pretty in line with my real meditation these days.
    This is top shelf stuff, comrade.

3. Justin Watts on May 29, 2017 at 16:54

That’s great. A lot to be said for some blunt phrasing about life.

On a more serious note, I’m a few weeks into a 10- week program from Wim Hof. You’ve probably seen his stuff before, but if not, he is a seriously cool guy who uses breathing to lower stress, increase cold tolerance, fight off illness, etc. I’m loving every minute of it.

• Hap on May 30, 2017 at 09:02

Justin

After digging into the science of cold thermogeneis for a while now….was initially put off by the Dr Oz hype a couple of years ago and the “cool sculpting” centers in LA/OC. I think there is merit to it, far beyond weight loss.

We need to expose ourselves to more natural stressors for which we have adaptive response mechanisms, not only for survival but for benefit, above and beyond mere survival. I ran across the Wim Hof stuff, although it’s hyped and some of the advertising is slick, it’s obvious the guy is on to something, even if he is a freak outlier in some respects with respect to performance (think LeBron James?)

Notwithstanding the possibilities of injury, always lurking in background of pushing envelopes, I am attracted to what Wim has to offer. I will be anticipating your blog comments on how it goes with the method.

• Nocona on May 30, 2017 at 17:17

The ascetics were doing this kind of stuff for thousands of years. Breathing techniques, harsh environments etc. I think even Wim would give a shout out to where some of his stuff is coming from. Not much new under the sun. A lot of rediscovering going on.

• Justin Watts on May 30, 2017 at 22:21

Wim does indeed give regular shoutouts; he refers to “hard nature” with regard to where and how he learned his techniques. He never sells it like he invented it, which is refreshing. The other thing I like is he is a very genuine guy. His son packaged the program together because Wim was just doing it on the side, and his son thought it would spread more with marketing. In various videos, Wim seeems appreciative of this but doesn’t seem to give a lick about anything business related. He just loves telling people how to meditate.

Wim Hof is a fairly recent discovery for me, but I have been experimenting with cold exposure for about 3 years now. My attraction to it was to see if I could train my body to better tolerate cold temps. My N=1 is that I have always had considerable discomfort in the cold. Temps in the mid 60s or low 70s had me wearing long sleeves or even sweaters. 30-40 degrees and I was miserable and approaching nonfunctional, even with proper clothing. I am single digit body fat and thin, and (I assume) this is a factor, although I think there’s more to it under the hood than just needing a little more meat on my bones. On the flip side, I tolerate heat extremely well; in fact I enjoy it. 100+ F temps are not at all uncomfortable for me, and I’d take them over 40 degrees any day of the week. Through different forms of cold immersion I have greatly improved my tolerance. I still dislike cool temps but I can bear them and function without the need for extra clothing.

I will advise as I get deeper into Wim’s program.

• SteveRN on May 30, 2017 at 23:33

Funny, Dr. Doug McGuff talks about Wimm on his May 22 blog post (he has a new blog, other one apparently had to be shut down due to Chinese hacking), where he talks about exercise, meditation and cognitive dissonance. http://www.drmcguff.com/learn/ Timely post, as always.

4. Hap on May 30, 2017 at 17:32

Context that part of the picture that helps make the old…….seem new enough. The basic principle is already in place.

These practices, need to placed in a context where people can actually practice them, especially without seriously disrupting certain critical elements.