Quick Mushroom Risotto In The Instant Pot

mixed-mushroom-risotto-2

Not my dish, but nice and pretty

I actually had no intention of writing a post about making mushroom risotto in the Instant Pot. But, you see, my wife, Beatrice, and I have been having a good time using the LoseIt app with our Fitbits integrated (big, detailed post about all of that in draft) and part of doing that is logging evetrything right after eating, which gives you high resolution into how you might want to craft each next step in the eating day.

So, whereas, I might othertwise have said, “let’s grill some burgers tonight,” by virtue of logging breakfast and a lite lunch, I could see we were light on protein and a bit heavy on fat. What to do?

Well, we  could have had salmon, but it’s kinda fatty at 4+ grams of fat per ounce. By contrast, lingcod has about a half of a gram.

IMG_0877

So, broiled lingcod it was. Super easy to do. Season one side with S&P, melt a TBS of butter in a skillet and sauté for about 3 minutes on medium, then 3-4″ under the broiler (‘hi’ setting) for about 10 minutes.

IMG_0878

14.5 ounces for me, which was 100g protein and 6g fat. What a ratio!

On the side was a mushroom risotto and a green leaf and scallion salad with my unbiquitous French Dijon Vinaigrette a la maison.

Ok, I’ve made risotto the hard way a number of times and thought I might see how it goes in the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker, for laughs, kinda. I didn’t really expect much. I went Googling and sure enough, there were recipes and procedures, but frankly? They were harder, more complex, and took more steps than just doing it “the hard way.” Hey dudes, did you forget the Instant in Pot?

So I just did my own deal with emphasis on simple, easy, and quick. We’re talking about 15 minutes with most of that being hands off.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup white rice (I used Jasmine that I has on hand)
  • 2 cups Kitchen Basics Unsalted Chicken Stock (I’ll use 2 1/4 cups next time)
  • 4 crimini mushrooms rough chopped, not sliced (use whatever shrrom you like, a combo, and more if you like)
  • 3 medium cloves of garlic, crushed (I’ve found the spiked end of a meat tenderizer perfect for this, bang it on both sides)
  • 1/2 shallot, diced finely (about 3 TBS worth)
  • 1/4 cup scallions
  • 2 ounces finely grated fresh parmesan
  • 2 TBS butter

The Process:

Turn on the Sauté Function, melt the butter, add the shroom and stir until nicely aromatic. About 3 minutes. Remove them into a bowl, leaving as much butter as you can. Sauté the shallot and garlic. A minute or so. Add the rice and stir until coated, being sure not to let it stick. About a minute or so more. Add the shrooms back in and stir to combine. Add a bit of the stock to deglaze the pot, then the rest. Stir, set the lid, and cook on manual: high pressure, 5 minutes. It will seal in no time at all. When time is up, do the quick release. If there’s any unabsorbed liquid (I had none), then turn off, put back on sauté, and let it reduce a bit.

Finish it by adding in the scalions and parmesan. Mix it all up, season as desired. Serve.

IMG_0880

It’s enough for about 3-4 servings, depending on how you divide it. I had a cup, Bea had half a cup, and this was the full leftovers which I had this afternoon, reheated in the nuker, so slightly dryer than original.

Next round, I tend to do maybe a couple more mushroom, just an ounce of the parmesan, and another 1/4 cup od stock so as to have ir a bit creamyer. But a good first round and it was surprisingly delicious. I prefer musroom resotto to be just enough shrooms, not too much.

Feel free to drop comments if you try this and make any improvements to it. Remember, quick and easy is the key, otherwise just make it the traditional hard way.

1. SteveRN on June 26, 2017 at 04:31

My wife and I have been using the 10 minute Barley from Trader Joe’s to make Risotte, they have a recipe on the bag, it’s pretty awesome, figured a good way to to get a different RS source into my diet. We will have to try it this way too. We love the Instant Pot, makes the best hard boiled eggs ever using the 5 minute method, and cook the hell out of soup beans/pinto beans and oatmeal with it.

2. BARBARA on June 26, 2017 at 07:13

Looking forward to hearing about your Lose It Fitbit integration. Just signed up for Lose It premium last week. Really like it so far. Currently doing a moderate deficit of one pound a week. Really eye opening data.

3. Wilbur on June 26, 2017 at 07:22

I learned to make risotto in a pressure cooker from Modernist Cuisine at Home, which says “There is no need to stir rice [for risotto] when you cook it in a pressure cooker because the process forces so much water into the starch granules and plant cells that many more cells burst on their own.”

The cool thing is that it is very easy to make good risottos with other things like farro (10 minutes under pressure), pearl barley (12 minutes), and steel cut oats (5 minutes). All with quick release as this is what helps to break the starch granules. The amount of liquid is usually 280 g per 150 g of grain.

In addition to chicken stocks, some of the liquids include carrot juice, crustacean stock, sherry, wine, mushroom stock, squid ink, and ouzo.

Barley risotto is one of my favorites. Richard, you’ve inspired me to make it tonight!

• Wilbur on June 26, 2017 at 16:56

Oops, I looked at a summary chart instead of the actual recipe. Barley is 20 minutes, and farro is 15 minutes. Either there is an editing error or I’ve missed something.

I like add about 20% black barley, keeping the liquid ratio the same. I used pork bone broth. Also I almost always add fish sauce (Red Boat 40) in these situations. I finished with olive wood-smoked olive oil and Parmesan. Paired with Mediterranean-style lamb sausage and mustard greens topped with Graverstein apple vinegar. Awesome!

• thhq on June 27, 2017 at 04:54

For years I’ve done all grains in a rice cooker, from Japanese sticky to barley to wild rice. For the slower cooking ones, I increase the water ratio to 4:1. The toughest cooker is black rice, which needs an overnight soak in addition.

4. ramon on June 26, 2017 at 09:38

Ala Angelo Coppola, I have made risotto a couple of times using whole oat groats. very different chew feel but made risotto just fine (a teeny bit sweet).

Need to get a pressure cooker and give it a try.

a little bit of truffle is of course a nice way to dress up a risotto with mushrooms..

• thhq on June 27, 2017 at 04:48

Oh yeah. Nothing fixes white rice like truffles. I buy one good-smelling (fruity, like pineapple) Oregon black truffle once a year, grate it into softened butter and freeze. I shave some frozen truffle butter onto the plate and place a half cup of hot steamed rice on top. The truffles infuse the rice.

5. Limey on June 27, 2017 at 02:06

Good to see you back at the gym. Steady does it. Don’t over do it. Allow a good recovery period and don’t use a gym session as an excuse to blow out on your food. I find substituting heavier weights with lower weights and higher reps works for me in terms of muscle development. You have access to far superior advice than mine though.

I look forward to seeing some cool stuff from you in the months ahead. I also think you have finally nailed the food/diet thing with perfection btw.

6. thhq on June 27, 2017 at 04:43

Try adding some dried sour cherries to the risotto. We used to get Michigan cherries by the 5# box when we lived in the Midwest, now pick them up when we need them at farmer’s markets.

7. Fanny Craddock on July 9, 2017 at 13:32

This method of 2 cups rice to 4 cups liquid has given me good results. Any veg added fresh and not sauteed is included in the liquid volume. https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-risotto-in-7-minutes

Serious Eats also have a pretty good recipe, although it’d probably take a bit longer than 15 minutes. I’ve never added the cream. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/12/pressure-cooker-mushroom-risotto-recipe.html

8. Melanie on January 8, 2018 at 14:42

This came out really well! Thanks!