What Enables Obesity? A Very Robust Metabolism and High Insulin Sensitivity.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 12.07.43 PM

Let’s take it a step further: Jimmy Moore’s obesity is, in most part, a product of his robust metabolism and his stellar insulin sensitivity.

The image above and this quote below is from one of Jimmy’s Facebook posts from the other day.

“Insulin resistance is the real problem, and it’s not inaccurate to regard it as carbohydrate intolerance. Nutritional ketosis is a potent therapy for counteracting insulin resistance.” — Dr. Jeff Volek

I’m  going to call bullshit on that, Dr. Jeff Volek, and I don’t care that you’re “PhD RD Professor, Department of Human Sciences, The Ohio State University,” in Jimmy’s perpetual argumentum ad verecundiam appeal, the second most prevalent logical fallacy on the Internet, right after argumentum ad hominem. (At base, both of these fallacious arguments—from authority to “to the man”—are only subtly different. In the former, one is asked to accept the validity of something based on the identity or credentials of some dude or dudess, and in the latter, to reject the validity of something based on the identity or [lack of] credentials of some dude or dudess. In other words: accept it for fame; reject it for infamy.)

If you get around much, there are abject dumbshits doing this every damn day, and for a preponderance of them, these logical fallacies make up the vast majority of everything they argue.

Let’s get back to Volek because I have a ridiculously simple question:

If insulin resistance is “the real problem,” then doesn’t it logically follow that insulin sensitivity is neither a real problem—or a problem at all—but is a rather good thing indeed?

More, Dr. Volek: can we all stipulate to the latter, even without accepting the former, at least as stated; i.e., “the real?”

So, then, why does jimmy moore get fatter and fatter (or, healthier and healthier, in his parlance)?

I assert that it’s because Jimmy has a very robust metabolism and is very insulin sensitive; and this, in spite of all the self-punishment in which he’s engaged over the decades. He can keep getting fatter and fatter—as he continues to eat chronically to energy abundance with his Low-Protein High-Fat (“LPHF”) Velveeta cheese sauces, sticks of butter, and fat bombs—because of his insulin sensitivity.

Insulin resistance happens when your body can’t store any more fat as your liver and pancreas get innundated with only a few grams too much of it—where NONE is called for—special cells get fucked, and type 2 diabetes ensues.

To put it another way, insulin resistance does not cause obesity, it’s the reverse: obesity causes insulin resistance. So what causes obesity? Chronic overeating is what causes obesity, but insulin sensitivity is what’s required to make obesity-level adipose tissue sequestering happen so phenomenally. Your body is doing what it’s supposed to do: store energy for later (that’s the evolutionary context). In the modern context, this unneeded fat storage can better be regarded as your body protecting itself as long as it can. Getting fat is a protective mechanism against you fucking with it hour by hour and day by day, over years and years—and often enough, over decades.

For, when you lose this protective mechanism of being able to get fatter and fatter—and over and over, as Jimmy does—and are then truly insulin resistant, the metabolic response, instead of being protective at fat sequestering, becomes unregulated: a runaway, elevated, blood glucose. Lean Type II diabetics are the unlucky ones—or lucky—who can’t get especially fat before becoming insulin resistant. And they remain lean throughout their condition.

Now, do you see why, to the mind of the militant Low-Carber and the Fauxtosis sort of Ketotard, it’s not just that calories don’t matter; it’s that calories can’t matter?

It’s in order to prop up the inherent cognitive dissonance that would ensue were one to acknowledge the energy balance equation and that calorie accounting represents a sort of tape measure toward tracking and estimating what one is doing. Because…if calories count and that’s the obvious reason people get fat, then it follows that it’s not a dysfunctional metabolism, carb intolerance, insulin resistance, hormonal imbalance, or not being “a fat burner”—or any of the other bullshit Hocus Pocus people resort to—but a damn fine metabolism doing exactly what it’s supposed to do when presented with chronic energy abundance in dietary intake.

To reiterate, you eventually have to pay the piper for your chronic face-stuffing and at some individual point, the ability to sequester excess energy to protect you falters and then you have unregulated elevated blood glucose; whereby, you enter the realm of clinical diagnoses: for diabetes.

Eating too much too often, fauxtosis styled “Keto,” and drinking 1,000 calorie fat bombs as midnight snacks are the ultimate upstream contributors to all of this.

Visit My New Facebook Group: “Richard Nikoley’s Ketotard Chronicles

I posted a proto version of the foregoing to my Ketotard Chronicles Group yesterday. Great comment thread. You really should go have a look at it. There are some references to other stuff too that you can have a look at. I like to keep it simple and basic around here.

Remember how this works.

19894812_10209494691709535_9152987841245305795_n

Adipose tissue gets tired. Liver, pancreas, and even lean muscle gets tired. Fat accumulates where it shouldn’t, especially in the pancreas (2-3 grams is all it takes), and dysfunction ensues.

Now, let’s briefly deal with the whole scam element to this whole fraud.

Many of you have read me expose the whole Fauxtosis style of Keto (I support adequate to high-protein Keto that includes a caloric deficit as the primary means of generating ketones from body fat) in a few previous posts. This Fauxtosis involves adopting The Epileptic Diet of hyper-high-fat, hyper-low-carb, and low-protein…then renaming it “Nutritional ketosis.” Then, the object is to fool you into buying ketone meters, ketone meter test strips, breath ketone measuring devices, urine ketone test strips, and $40 buckets of ketone powder to drink.

The diet of >75% fat and exogenous ketone drinks guarantees you’ll measure ketones with all the crap they sold you, even though they’re ketones coming principally from dietary fat, and ketones you just drink.

The way this fraud works in the realm of militant low-carb diets, where obesity is some function of one or more Hocus Pocus thing, mentioned above, that signifies some measure of metabolic dysfunction, such that your fat ass isn’t a function from forever stuffing your fat face with too much food, too often; it’s because you’re a hapless victim with a broken metabolism and wow do you need management. Of course, it’s managed by a glucose meter, perpetual orders of glucose testing strips, and an endless array of Low-Carb-Products with coupon codes, to make sure the affiliate gets his cut.

But, switching over to the low-carb scam and fraud, how do you make the glucose meter confirm the problem for those asking you to buy stuff with coupon codes? It’s called physiological insulin resistance and depending who you are as an individual, at some level of chronic carbohydrate restriction you’ll develop an acute condition where you become insulin resistant so that your body preserves glucose for the absolute requirement of your brain, so you don’t go into a coma and/or die—mundane trivialities like that.

Some people have it very mild, some ferociously, to such an extent that fasting BG will be 115-125 every day, and if they do go off plan and have any significant amount of carbohydrate or sugar treats like a piece of birthday cake, BG’s up to 200+, and it’s is not uncommon (I’ve been there), so they self-diagnose as insulin resistant and pre-diabetic (if not full blown).

Then, the only viable thing to do is:

1. Join a bunch of low-carb forums and groups, and hang on every word
  2. Constantly relate how bad your glucose control is, and how you can’t even look at carbs
  3. Become obsessed with measuring your blood glucose continually every day, putting Type 1 diabetics to slothful shame
  4. Refill your testing strips, making sure to input the Great Offer Coupon Code
  5. Fill your pantry with endless arrays of low-carb semi-foods and junk-foods and reenactment treats
  6. Whenever challenged, play the diabetes card, and affix it to your chest in dual fashion: badge-of-honor and carb-police

That should about do it. Now, finally, you can enjoy life with all zeal and zest you can muster, to the fullest extent that your hubris and projection have afforded you.

1. Limey on July 13, 2017 at 05:04

I asked the Lord to prove his kindness by making Jimmy healthy.

• el-bo on July 16, 2017 at 01:34

>>”I asked the Lord to prove his kindness by making Jimmy healthy.”<<

I'm starting to question my atheism.

2. Hap on July 13, 2017 at 08:18

Why should the Lord answer your prayer…….He would lose a prime example of foolishness who has a major soapbox.

I asked the Lord to ignore you……please

• JP on July 13, 2017 at 09:07

I’m with Hap. Jimmy needs to repent of his Keto-idiocy, go on a long fast, and try a much different approach.

• Limey on July 14, 2017 at 14:06

I would like Jimmy to log and share daily cronometer logs. Let the crowd decide from the evidence why he is in his current state.

3. Robert on July 13, 2017 at 23:43

Very interesting and brilliant reasoning, a new perspective. Dr. Jason Fung is also saying obesity is protective, and it makes sense.

It might be that those getting T2D although not obese, are simply wired to clog the pancreas earlier than others, and they need to maintain a lower fat %. It’s well known that T2D risk increases if your parent or grandparent has it.

As for Jimmy, he often talks about his “insulin resistance”, and that’s why he keeps struggling with his weight. Nothing seem to heal that insulin resistance, not keto, not 14 day fasts. I often wondered if this is just self diagnosed woo, or a real lab test confirmed medical condition. Now with his extreme diet, it would be very difficult to know for sure. He would likely fail an OGTT, but due to physiological insulin resistance, not any real diabetic one.

Also, thanks Richard for publishing this stuff on your blog as well, it’s good for us not having Facebook.

• TimothyD on July 14, 2017 at 16:39

Peter at hyperlipid has been saying this since 2010.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2017 at 21:08

Where do you think I got the clue about physiological insultin resistance?

The only difference is, Perer doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem. I don’t necessarily, either, but I dislike putting myself in a metabolic state that forecloses consuming carbohydrate.

4. Eddie on July 13, 2017 at 12:18

The biggest cause of obesity is ‘bad genetics’. In a world where survival of the fittest is no longer present, more and more genetically ‘weak’ people are procreating.

• Richard Nikoley on July 13, 2017 at 13:47

Nope.

• Eddie on July 13, 2017 at 14:50

Sorry, I meant Keto Bombs.

• Hap on July 13, 2017 at 15:53

I’ve been trying to get a handle on the components of the fast mimicking diet (Prolon) of Longo. There is a woman on youtube who unboxes the five day diet and shows the ingredients. It is a very low calorie, low carb, and pretty low protein diet. It has some fat (how’s four olives for you). kale crackers, oat bars, mushroom soup. It is not meant to be a life style like “nutritional ketosis”……but it damn well should make someone ketotic (and that is the point)….but temporarily.

I still am bothered by the Longo line that it is same as fasting because it “tricks” the body into responding “as if” it were a fast. However, that’s problematic because he could never measure all the variables (markers) or chart the pathways initiated. True, those limited markers he measured showed the hoped for results found in preclinical models.

A five day fast is no walk in the park. This diet seems more reasonable and meets limited goals with less stress….but the stress is what makes it all go. If I had cancer (Marx forbid) I would do it in a flash….all in….totally. I would also look at the stress/pulse ketosis advocated by Seyfried to “prepare the battlefield”…so to speak. A useful measure of a successful “pulse” is the glucose/ketone ratio…a better measure of management than glucose or ketone alone.

This is all where it may matter to a degree how much ketones are being produced, but notice there’s no mention of playing fast and loose with “calories”. Somebody with a calorie deficit not producing enough ketones might benefit from some ketone juice. Impaired mitochondria of cancer cells suck at metabolizing ketones for the most part.

There is no doubt….I will try Longo Prolon diet in the near future because cancer or not, it has lasting benefit as shown in his decades of study. Longo…..is the real deal. If I make it 3 days, a moral victory.

• ramon on July 13, 2017 at 19:19

Hap,
      I did a 36 hour one time. My wife told me she does not want to be around if I try it again. I guess going to bed that first evening after 24 hours I was a shit.

24 hour no problem. I do it twice a week right now on my non keto tarded diet. (2lb/week target)

• Hap on July 14, 2017 at 12:59

It seems like a way to break the grip of physiologic insulin resistance on it’s way to combined T1D and T2D….is to cycle carbs, fats , protein……and periods of food restriction. Still have to obey calorie deficit.

I think it is worth exploring some of Guyenet’s suggestions, including whatever you might do to sycnchronize master clock rhythm and peripheral/organ clocks…ie adipose tissue, liver, pancreas, heart, gut etc. So eating should be time restricted to synch up with dark light cycles and so should exercise.

5. thhq on July 13, 2017 at 14:16

What normal human would worry about carbohydrate intolerance?

Volek is building a mighty straw man to guard nutritional ketosis.

A straw man wearing a tinfoil hat.

Wherever, however, a person becomes obese it’s a bad thing, carrying a similar mortality risk to smoking, shortening lifespan by 3-10 years.

There are as any ways to deal with obesity as there are diets and exercise programs. They all work if they are followed. There are lots of ways to skinny the cat.

The fact that Jimmy is obese does not suggest that nutritional ketosis is the best way to deal with obesity. He is living evidence that it might be the worst.

• ramon on July 17, 2017 at 11:25

On my cyclical ketogenic diet (I have one low fat high carb re-feed once per week), I may have a mini fat bomb coffee with collagen and creatine in it for breakfast, or 1 boiled egg with 2 pieces of bacon, or 2 boiled eggs and one piece of bacon. I target 300-350 calories for breakfast on no- fasting days.

Jimmy’s photos of his breakfasts have looked to be at least twice the caloric content of mine (6 eggs floating in butter and kale), even if he ate half of that.

I have had a net defict calorically almost every day for 6.5 weeks and have lost ~20 lbs (some water). I track every gram I eat on fat secret.

Jimmy isint even trying. He eats snacks in between meals for god’s sake.

ramon

6. Shameer M. on July 13, 2017 at 16:14

Might be a bit off topic but this is worth checking out just for interest

• Richard Nikoley on July 13, 2017 at 18:58

The problem with an experiment like that is the wild caloric difference between those who like their bacon floppy and chewy, and those who like it crispy. It’s a caloric deficit diet for most, because the vast majority of the calories from those 2 pounds of bacon daily are left in the pan.

Also, thickness will play a role. Thicker bacon, more fat stays in it. Thin bacon, more in the pan.

• ramon on July 13, 2017 at 19:16

yes big slabs of very fatty bacon from the fancy shop shrink quite small when made crispy. I can add a 1/4 inch of bacon grease to the jar with two slices like that.

7. Karl Hungus on July 13, 2017 at 22:23

Damn, your writing is amazing and hilarious!

That photo of Volek looks like his ballsack is caught in his zipper.

• Limey on July 14, 2017 at 05:08

I have been saying this about Richard’s writing for years.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2017 at 06:58

Hey Karl

You do realize your name rhymes with Hugh Mongous? 😉

8. Robert on July 14, 2017 at 00:06

Meanwhile, resistant starch is all the rage in the Swedish LCHF community. It didn’t quite take off back in the days when it started here at FTA. Maybe because Per Wikholm, the one who introduced it in Sweden, passed away.

But a few months ago, Per’s former co-author published a book about beans and resistant starch, including experimenting with blood sugar. It turns out beans lower blood sugar, despite being full of evil carbs.

And now it seems every LCHF blogger is trying beans, and some potato starch and probiotics. They are overwhelmed by the health benefits, all kind of problems being solved. IBS, sugar cravings, menopause issues, arthritis, constipation, sleep issues, depression is some of the problems I’ve read being solved by this.

When Wikholm died, his blog disappeared. But now much of the material he wrote on resistant starch is back up, and this is being referenced as the starting point to learn the basics about gut health and resistant starch.

Of course there are sceptics in comment sections, mainly warning about lectins, phytic acids and other evils. But I publish facts to counter those myths, mainly gleaned from this blog.

9. Jo tB on July 14, 2017 at 01:20

And:

That described me to a T. You mentioned this phenomenon several years ago in a post on Resistant starch, which was a “light bulb” moment for me. Explained my ever rising basal blood sugar levels over the years. Having “dieted” for over 50 years, my eating habits are fucked up big time. Every time I changed my diet I left things out without replacing them with other sources. I used to eat about 60 grams of protein from dairy and dropped them out because of suspected lactose intolerance. The other was going low carb, reducing it to under 20 grams, was too much. Not that I used to eat all that much in the first place.

I can very easily put on weight, but to a degree. People always comment “but you’re not fat” I don’t look fat, my BMI is around 24.5 which is borderline overweight.

But trying to reverse it back to normal, is the puzzle I haven’t cracked yet.

10. mango on July 14, 2017 at 04:39

Consume Cannabis. It not only prevents T2D and all the health consequences that can arise from the chronic inflammation and excess free radical production, but successfully treats and eventually diminishes it. Not to mention it can prevent the onset of even T1D. Cannabis will turn on fat burning via CB2 receptor in the adipose tissue and also protect you from further inflammatory responses via regulation of the immune system.
    The endocannabinoid system regulates every one of your physiological processes, beginning with conception til death.

Considering the ECS regulates insulin secretion and glucose homeostasis, as well as food intake, consuming Cannabis during a time when you have an endocannabinoid deficiency such as insulin resistance or daibetes, you would only be doing what is logical and common sense. Cannabis will activate the CB2 receptor in the adipose tissue and that will turn on fat burning, while protecting your body from further inflammation at the same time because CB2 regulates the immune system. And while that’s all going on your brain endocannabinoids which control neurotransmitter signaling, will restore function and signaling between your CB2 in the adipose tissue and CB1 in the brain will be able to regulate neurotransmitter signaling normally again.
    Consume more Cannabis, consume healthy foods with attention to the modern day appropriate ratios of omega 6:omega 3 fatty acids—staying away from the pre-industrialized agricultural society ratios during the hunter and gather days, implement mild-moderate exercise, and don’t put any of the shit BP has to offer into your body.

Metformin is extremely harmful and I cannot believe anyone would ever use that shit.
    Metformin directly alters the gut microbiota (which is why your colon cannot produce adequate vitamin b12 levels which is the essential ingredient for DNA synthesis and RBC production). Furthermore, Metformin induces accumulation of beta amyloid aggregates, induces oxidative stress, causes mitochondrial dysfunction, impairs membrane channels and MPT pores, induces neuronal apoptosis, up-regulates BACE1 which promotes beta amyloid precursor proteins, induces APP processing and expression, alters levels of the protein TOM40 which is responsible for carrying out mitochondrial import and export of metabolites and molecules—TOM40 mediates endocytosis of APP and beta amyloid in the brain. And going back to the altering of gut microbiota—this is why you become nauseous and have diarrhea. Altering the gut microbiota directly impairs ECS signalling via the brain-gut-axis. And beyond that, Metformin activates NFkB and facilitates the generation of beta amyloid by B-and y- secretases via autophagy activation.

Metformin > vitamin b12 deficiency > decreased production in RBC and impaired DNA synthesis > liver impairment and dysfunction > impaired glucose homeostasis > altering of gut microbiota > ECS dysregulation within the entire body > peripheral neuropathy > CVD, stroke, microvascular disease, and decreased blood supply to all bodily tissues and organs > neurodegenerative diseases

• Craig on July 14, 2017 at 15:36

Lots of buzz lately about metformin as a first life extension drug…..

• hap on July 14, 2017 at 09:03

This rant is a mix of truths and untruths……and perhaps some very specious conclusions.

No place to argue here….. metformin, for all its pleiotropic effects does not activate master inflammatory instigator NFbKappa.

No more need be said.

• thhq on July 14, 2017 at 20:00

This is cannibitardism 101.

Weed cures everything.

• Beans McGrady on July 15, 2017 at 13:12

I smoke weed. I have no problems. When I was a kid I had problems, I did not smoke weed.
      Therefore, my N=1 says that weed does in fact, cure everything.

• thhq on July 15, 2017 at 20:01

Here’s a larger N’s worth beans. Jamaica.

The major downside is pulmonary, the same as tobacco smoking. Cannabis does not decrease productivity in repetitive tasks like woodcutting. What about diets though? Guyenet talks about the cannabis trigger for the munchies in his book. Seems like that would work against complicated fasting diets. But it might be perfect for ketotards in quest of even higher fat consumption.

• Richard Nikoley on July 15, 2017 at 21:11

I spent the 1982 junior year in college stoned 24×7. Monstly Thai, and homegrown Pacific Northwest (Oregon State)..

It was fun. 4.0 GPA going to class stoned, studying stoned, testing stoned.

Then I went home for for summer were there was not and I didn’t seek it out, and after that, have never particularly enjoyed being stoned since. I’ll toke up now and then if someone has some, sociable like. But I don’t particularly enjoy it except one thing: I do like sleeping on a weed buzz.

11. Reid on July 14, 2017 at 05:46

Richard,

Great post. Totally off topic here, but would love to know your answer. If you told a high school or college aged kid to read say 3 books, what would they be and why? Really would like to know your answer. Curious as to who influenced your thinking. Feel free to name more than 3 if you feel necessary.

Many thanks.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2017 at 07:15

Hmmm, hard to pick three…

– Atlas Shrugged, Rand
      – Human Action, Von Mises
      – Road to Surfdom, Hayek
      – The Machinery of Freedom, D. Friedman (Milton’s son)
      – Economics in One Lesson, Hazlett

That’s enough to get started.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2017 at 07:16

….Might as well toss in How I Found Freedom in An Unfree World, Harry Browne

• Beans McGrady on July 15, 2017 at 13:14

Road to surfdom!
      Hang ten Baby!
      Didn’t Kelly Slater write that?

JK, couldn’t resist.
      good list.

• Hap on July 16, 2017 at 17:41

I would add perhaps two more or three.
      The Letters of Seneca
      Medtations of Marcus Aurelius
      Any of the 4 existing books of Nassim Taleb….although Antifragile the most

I would get rid of Hazlett….as too repetitious and somewhat tiresome although a very good book.

Harry Browne…..a lightweight. Sorry.

Gosh….how about Sohlzenitsyn? Gulag probably one of the most insightful books on Leftism out there. It’s easy to cheer for freedom….but it’s absolutely required to know thy enemy.

One book I have read over and over…is The Devils Pleasure Palace…by Walsh

However, if you have the stomach for it…..Faust by Goethe or anything Kafka.

I would recommend Paradise Lost (Milton) but I have not read all of it.

• thhq on July 17, 2017 at 12:54

Book club!

I just finished both parts of Don Quixote. Such a takedown of romanticism, written as an allegory. The market for books like Amadis of Gaul died after it was published.

For diet books Keys’ Eat Well and Stay Well and Yudkin’s This Slimming Business.

And just for fun

The Good Soldier Svejk
      Ulysses
      The Persian Expedition
      Gravity’s Rainbow
      JR
      Angle of Repose
      Pere Goriot
      The Red and the Black
      Faulkner’s Snopes trilogy
      Moby Dick
      Germinal
      Babbitt

and so many more I’ve lost count…

• thhq on July 17, 2017 at 13:02

Regarding politics,

Homage to Catalonia sums up all of Orwell for me
      Darkness at Noon
      In Dubious Battle

and of course Svejk

Narrative and allegory.

• thhq on July 17, 2017 at 13:08

Either of the Naipauls. Especially A House for Mr Biswas and Among the Believers by VS.

• Hap on July 19, 2017 at 13:34

Yes…Book Club.
      I am just diving into…
      Tripping OVer the Truth (second time) regarding the deconstruction of the somatic mutation Theory of cancer.
      Mark Levin’s new book….rediscovering Americanism. Needed a good synopsis of definition of “Progressive”….which means ….do what I say, not what I do…..what’s good for me is not good for you….what was your income…send it in.

• thhq on July 19, 2017 at 14:33

Shiva Naipaul tears into the California madness in Journey to Nowhere. It has gotten much worse since Jim Jones and People’s Temple. Stepping over those bodies in Guyana marked Shiva for life.

What is saddening is that Jones was endorsed by the “radical chic” Progressives. Shiva spends much of the book digging into the California dementia that propelled them to mass suicide.

Both Naipauls are excellent narrative writers, both fact and fiction.

12. JG Pace on July 14, 2017 at 06:38

I am very interested in RS but have a simple question
    when you cool down rice, potatoes etc can you then re-heat them when its time to eat.
    I really never heard on the eating of RS.
    Thanks for your info.
    JG

• Robert on July 14, 2017 at 09:07

JG,

Yes, you can reheat beans, potatoes and rice. Beans will contain more RS than cooked and cooled rice and potatoes.

Also there is the option of raw resistance starch in raw potato starch, green(ish) bananas, or raw potatoes if you can stomach it. If you want to go deeper, there are many other types of fibers that can feed our microbiota, such as inulin.

Search for “resistant starch” on this blog, and you will have reading material for months. Or you can check out Tim Steele’s blogs:

13. M4ngo on July 14, 2017 at 06:54

The endocannabinoid system is the bodies homeostatic regulatory system and plays a key role in regulating every physiological process—beginning with conception ’til death. So the most logical solution is Cannabis.
    Cannabis prevents and treats T2D, insulin resistance, and has been shown to prevent the onset of T1D.

Consuming phytocannabinoids during insulin resistance or T2D corrects the deficiencies through: stimulating insulin secretion via GPR55 (G-protein coupled receptor, CB3) in the pancreatic beta cells thus maintaining the homeostatic compensatory response, protecting the beta cells while doing so via CBD, turning on fat burning via CB2 in the adipose tissue, while effectively lowering blood glucose levels, and restoring neurotransmitter signalling in the brain via CB1 receptor.

Not only does the endocannabinoid system regulate the development of the fetal pancreas while in the womb, the ECS regulates insulin secretion and glucose homeostasis, as well as food intake.
    There is no conceivable explanation to not use the only natural medicine available that actually prevents and treats these metabolic disorders, inwhich is specifically designed to mimic the endogenous cannabinoid system. The entire natural of how this can even be done is harmonious on the evolutionary level.

So Cannabis with a good healthy diet that includes the modern day appropriate ratio of omega 6:omega 3 fatty acids which are needed to produce endocannabinoids, and the Western world’s ratio is completely out of balance because we are not hunters and gathers anymore, a time when excess fat storage was needed to survive and adapt. Post-industrialized agriculture and increased population densities resulted in a metabolic shift in response to readily having food available as well as readily consuming things that are not nutritious and everything else negative that has resulted since industrialized agriculture.

Society has fucked itself. The evolutionary leap of mankind and conscious awareness resulted because of increased CB1 receptor densities in the key regions of the brain that allowed for survivability and adaptability in a rapid changing environment.

It has taken society this long to wake the fuck up and it is because those that lack an increase in CB1 receptors in the brain lack the ability to change and adapt thus governments and TPTB suppress and corrupt and instill everything negative into the world to condition others to become dumber and ultimately stop evolving.

I for one know that the growing amount of people that are becoming consciously aware of health, Cannabis and the truth what the fuck life actually is will and about are not far from making another evolutionary leap in consciousness.

A master regulatory system of the human body is capable of regulating the body from being harmed by specific diseases and viruses and cancers and age related illnesses because the next step in evolution of mankind is telling us we don’t want those processes to be apart of us anymore.

Drastically altering the diet is not the answer, IMO. Understanding what your body needs in its current environment to adapt is what is necessary and all you have to do is learn what life is and what health is.

We have evolved to a stage where we humans can manipulate the environment in which we experience, thus the environment adapts to change and consequently, so do we.

Insulin resistance is an endocannabinoid signaling deficiency in

• thhq on July 14, 2017 at 20:03

cannibitardism redux. Only word count stops the endless flow.

• ramon on July 17, 2017 at 11:10

“preventative cannabis macro-dosing”.

hahaha

14. wallycat on July 14, 2017 at 08:22

Don’t always agree with your thought processes but confess it is hard to wade through the anger-rant-name-calling from what you’re actually trying to get across. Oh well. I’m sure I’ll see it after this post again.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2017 at 08:51

And guess exactly how much I care about that?

Easy answer, I’m sure you’ll get it on the first try.

Bonus question: exactly how much I care about your “must confess[ions]?”

Just as easy.

15. JP on July 14, 2017 at 19:24

My primary care physician, Ted Naiman, has a great question which is: Does this make sense in an evolutionary context? Eating “fat bombs” or exogenous ketones clearly do not make sense from this perspective.

• Richard Nikoley on July 14, 2017 at 21:17

Of course not. Been hearing good stuff about Ted.

16. Hap on July 15, 2017 at 08:58

I would like to see the results of JM circulating insulin and perhaps a Kraft test…….even though circulating insulin is hardly the entire story on insulin signaling, especially with age.

This article a real treat. Just posted by Rhonda Patrick

• thhq on July 15, 2017 at 09:15

Interesting but going down the CRON road IMO hap. Rodent longevity doesn’t project human longevity very well. Too many other factors in free living.

I doubt that Jimmy will be donating his body to science experiments. It’s like my daughter’s old rusty Chevy Cavalier anyway, ready for the crusher.

17. Hap on July 15, 2017 at 11:33

Thhq
    I see your point…..But

CRON is a unsustainable lifestyle/ eating pattern for the 99 % of us.

If you read any of the links at the end of this article under Future Directions…….CRON not mentioned. Several more evolutionary compatible alternatives, suggested.

I will absolutely grant that producing some additional ketones some of the time has merit…..if for no ther reason than evolutionary perspective. However evidence for such does exist in the scientific realm. Taleb would say that it is baked into the cake of heuristics…..even if right for the wrong reason.

• thhq on July 15, 2017 at 12:59

It’s hard to find an ad libitum fat eating culture to compare. I refer to Cordain paleo. Fat is desirable to eat but until the Neolithic it has been very hard for humans to obtain. Even with agriculture it was food for the rich. An abundance of fat was an lucky accident and not a normal human diet. Ketosis ftom starvation would have been far more common than ketosis from eating fat.

I was up at Lake Quinault yesterday picking huckleberries. A hiker warned me about bears, who have the same interest this time of year. It brought back memories of the Press Party, which made the first crossing of the Olympic mountains. They were down to eating raw flour near the end of their trip and would have starved If they hadn’t killed a bear. The account describes how much they relished the precious fat they rendered out of that carcass. To me that describes the human evolutionary state. Fat is the most precious food because of its scarcity.

• thhq on July 15, 2017 at 14:45

This contains a photo of them all their scruffy glory when they got to Aberdeen in 1890. They traversed from north to south, naming many of the peaks in the range.

• Richard Nikoley on July 15, 2017 at 16:22

A neighbor took this bear photo up here the other day.

• thhq on July 16, 2017 at 05:45

That bear would have ended my berry picking days.

• La Frite on July 18, 2017 at 07:29

“Also….am I stupid but doesn’t eating an energy unrestricted high fat diet make most people fat…..ketones or no ketones?”

It sure does for several reasons. Some key points :
      – dietary fat does not really need insulin to get stored
      – excess fat intake does not regulate itself by ramping up fat burning. This is to be contrasted with proteins and carbs, which are strictly regulated when eaten in excess. This means that you can eat a shit ton of fat and keep most of it because alternative fuels are much more regulated and will be used in priority. Fat is the last to be used so it is kept stored (either where it should in your adipose tissue, or else, where it shouldn’t like between organs, in circulation in the blood, etc).

The reason why ancient people were after fat was because they recognized its high calorie content, which in those days was a matter of survival.

18. Hap on July 15, 2017 at 14:10

I saw some show with a bush guy in Alaska. He ate moose but prized any source of carbs.

• thhq on July 15, 2017 at 14:50

Heinbecker’s 1928 study of the Inuit indicated their main carb source was muscle glycogen. They had normal insulin sensitivity despite getting all their carbs from meat.

19. Bret on July 15, 2017 at 15:11

Volek is a curmudgeonly shitass. Cannot stand that motherfucker.

When Paul Jaminet finally forced the discussion about “safe” starches (hahahaha) back in 2012(ish), Volek spewed this utterly substanceless vitriol to defend his ultra-low-carb bias. Combine that kind of nonsense with his unwavering adherence to this ketogenic bullshit, and he’s about as useful as an asshole between the eyes.

20. johnny on July 15, 2017 at 17:16

I read in an article stating that low carb diets lead to lower levels of circulating glucose, causing the body to start producing insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), which has been linked to cancer.

Is this true?

• Hap on July 15, 2017 at 18:32

There are studies which report better nsulin sensitivity and lower circulating insulin on somewhat higher carbs

• Richard Nikoley on July 15, 2017 at 21:02

Yep, and one of the best in that is mammals milk.

I’ve always suspected it. Tits cause cancer.

• Hap on July 16, 2017 at 17:28

Johnny

You cannot necessarily rely on measuring fasting glucose levels or even believe that a normal OGTT clears the deck for diabetes…or soon to be diabetes. Read the various blog posts online regarding the Kraft test……which shows that over 2/3 persons with normal OGTT have high and prolonged circulating levels of insulin. These days maybe only 10 percent of subjects with normal OGTT can say they are truly low risk if not actually diabetic but still able to dispose of a glucose load.

Not all people respond to low carb diets….reducing their hyperinsulinemia. In either case INsulin and IGF-1 operate in similar critical pathways. IGF-1 is not always a boogeyman, and in fact is an evolutionary conserved signalling system for promoting growth. IGF-1 does not cause cancer but it can promote it.

Otherwise….mammals milk and generous mammary glands….cause all sorts of reactions, some quite pleasant, although different strokes for different folks.

• Hap on July 16, 2017 at 21:19

Here’s a You tube from Rhonda Patrick on benefits of hyperthermic conditioning and the positive effects of IGF-1 and GH.

Also, better if you sauna with women…..

21. Limey on July 17, 2017 at 13:53

The comment threads on Free The Animal are easily amongst the best I have ever seen. I suspect it’s because intelligent people are always attracted to the truth and Richard does a fine job of exposing un-truths – even if he has to correct his own views in the process.

• Lexi on July 18, 2017 at 00:47

I wonder, why you mention Jimmy Moore so often? Is J.M. such a big deal in the USA? Or is it the Ketotrain? Lchf, lowcarb, paleo etc. come to Germany 2-5 years after you get hit. Is a Keto-wave coming up?

• Richard Nikoley on July 18, 2017 at 07:52

Hopefully, we can head it off at the pass so it’s just crazy history before it hits.

• Hap on July 18, 2017 at 10:56

Suckers are born every minute……

Have come to believe that it is not to prevent others from becoming a sucker…..only to prevent oneself from sucktardism. Or,at least to start there and work out.

I also wish to confess that I somewhat regret…or actually regret coming down hard on Art De Vany. I don’t care if he is somewhat stubborn or egotistical and perhaps claiming that he “invented” paleo….or that he is almost a militant Darwinist (think Toba and neural Darwinism)…or that he commands the heights of scientific knowledge. Rather, he deserves credit for understanding things in a way that Taleb and other probableists do…….and stay out of the weeds. All of the rest of it……is “shtick” and in some sense it is a trap.

Art is not a charlatan leading folks down the wrong path…..Jimmy Moore most likely is one.

So now….Richard….how are you doing with your health, weight loss, etc? A progress report?

• Amanda on July 23, 2017 at 05:50

Jimmy Moore will only be stopped when his revenue stream runs out or death, whichever comes first. I still remember how he nearly fell over himself backpedaling over Kimkins when people threatened to boycott his sponsors.

22. sb on July 18, 2017 at 01:22

Hi Richard

Nice post. It summarize very well what serious research is saying today about obesity , diabetes and insulin resistance. I’ve followed JM for a while when I started my own journey into better nutrition but I don’t anymore for the same reasons you perfectly describe in your colorfull language 😉
    If I could summarize this conundrum it would be : Hyperplasy vs Hypertrophy. Big part of the timing of the onset of the problem is in the ability of your fat cells to multiply or not which seems partly genetically determined. Not that being obese is cool, but it offers some protection and will delay the T2D problem. A TOFI body cannot do that. Its adipose is hypertrophied, inflammed and full of macrophages and everything goes downhill from there.

But you know all that already, just a rehash in my own words …
    Thanks

23. Hap on July 19, 2017 at 13:36

Which one of you geniuses can recommend good surrogate markers for hyperinsulinemia? Apparently, it’s not so straightforward….

If you can’t…no worries….cuz it doesn’t matter as the simple strategies still apply if you have it now…or if you don’t.

• thhq on July 19, 2017 at 14:39

How about A1C?

• Hap on July 19, 2017 at 15:38

That is a direct marker of serum glucose control averaged over about 3 months.

Serum glucose is sort of a marker for insulin…..it does not tell the true story of the two sides of insulin, both resistance or hyperinsulinemia. Remember you can have glucose control….with secretion of gobs of insulin…and hyperinsulinemia is toxic as hell. We tend to focus on glucotoxicity, by insulin toxicity is worse.

You can kinda of sort these things out…but I will post you a review, if you like, that basically says if you submit to an insulin clamp, can get to the crux. Otherwise sort of fuhgeddaboudit. The Kraft test works but it is very inconvenient and you’d have pay…..and you cannot really undergo serial testing to see how your lifestyle mods are really working…or not.

Everything has been investigated…..waist size, visceral fat, glucose….BMI. Some say TG/HDL is a pretty good surrogate for insulin resistance, but it is not quantitative nor does it tell you what your insulin secretion status is.

Does it really matter? I think it would be very instructive to people who think they are doing just fine…..but really aren’t. It would help monitor lifestyle changes. But all that shit should be doing anyway.

• thhq on July 19, 2017 at 20:00

My doctor never sorted out insulin resistance vs hyperinsulinemia when he diagnosed my type 2 diabetes in 2007. I don’t think he knew or cared about the difference. I was obese, 30 BMI, 42″ waistline, fasting BG steady at 200, and A1C at 8.0. One other thing he checked for was diabetic ulcers on my feet. While the whole visit was disturbing, the foot inspection scared me more than anything.

• thhq on July 19, 2017 at 20:08

I forgot about HDL of 35, TG’s can’t remember. But I remember working on getting HDL up, to 70-75 where it is now. Exercise worked better than diet.

• Hap on July 19, 2017 at 20:09

When you are frankly diabetic….there is no use determining whether you are at risk or assessing much of anything, except diabetic complications.

From the sound of it, you beat it back with your own formula of weight loss and lifestyle mods.

• thhq on July 19, 2017 at 20:17

The easy measurements I focus on now are the ratio of waistline to upper thigh diameter (just below buttocks) and systolic blood pressure. Shooting for 1.5 or less on the ratio, and 120-130 on the systolic. Haven’t run a blood glucose strip in years.

• Hap on July 20, 2017 at 11:12

thhq
      In your case, since you have gone a long way to solving your metabolic dysfunction, the markers you use to measure may be just fine.

However, overt signs of metabolic dysfunction such as increased waistline, increased blood pressure, salt retention etc are later stages, so there is still the issue of underlying hyperinsulinemia. It’s typically a long haul from chronic hyperinsulinemia to clinical disease.

Unfortunately, this is a link to an article on the Kraft test as an indication of hyperinsulinemia (trouble brewing) that requires purchase. Hoping to use my university library link to download it without pay….for anyone who would want to read. In the meantime the abstract and conclusion is partly self explanatory.

• thhq on July 23, 2017 at 05:52

hap this recent study uses waist thigh ratio as a marker for Type 2 diabetes.

All you need is a tape measure to find out whether you’re on the path to T2.

My interest in this started after my dad died of a massive heart attack at 88. He was barely moving, legs as thin as pencils. Certainly not diabetic, and very old, but the loss of leg muscle mass struck me as a potential cause of heart failure. You need thigh muscle mass for healthy metabolism IMO.

24. Hap on July 20, 2017 at 11:51

Here is the encapsulated result of the analysis of 7000 glucose tolerance tests and concurrent insulin assays…….

Participants with normal glucose tolerance comprised 54% (n = 4185) of the total cohort. Of these, just over half (n = 2079) showed hyperinsulinaemia despite normal glucose clearance. Obesity had a modest association with hyperinsulinaemia in people with normal glucose tolerance. Fasting insulin had limited value in diagnosing hyperinsulinaemia. The majority of participants (93%) with impaired glucose tolerance or diabetes had concurrent hyperinsulinaemia.

Frankly, this should be really shaking up the medical establishment. Does that mean that most of these people with the ability to dispose of a glucose load in a way assigned as normal….have “insulin resistance”? One would conclude that this is the path such a person is on, requiring some sort of remediation. You cannot allow your doctor to assure you that you do not have diabetes or a problem if your OGTT is normal. Absence of evidence not evidence of abscence…fallacy.

• thhq on July 20, 2017 at 18:14

hap as I understand it you’re looking for surrogate markers to predict future metabolic syndrome (or whatever you want to call it) rather than using expensive clinical tests. I think you have to look at multiple markers, and at best you’d only have a rough idea.

My interest in waist thigh ratio and systolic blood pressure are that these are general markers for a long healthy life. The WTR ratio is easier for women to achieve: “pearishness”. Systolic BP is a major controllable factor in the Framingham equation along with HDL.

These have little bearing on what is probably a hereditary tendency towards high insulin. But improving these markers would still be helpful therapy to get out of a dangerous situation.

• Hap on July 20, 2017 at 20:19

thhq
      I don’t think your approach is problematic. Anything along those lines having to do with waist size and BP are fairly significant. However, all the articles I have read end up concluding there is nothing much that is real helpful, especially to researchers doing population studies or doctors in clinical practice. The other part of the story is that the profession uses things like fasting glucose, (sometime fasting insulin but not that common), HbA1c, and sometimes OGTT to look into glucose clearance problems…and sort of backwards to insulin, which they conclude you don’t have enough, if you are diabetic. These tests are just not as useful as imagined.

I do use test strips for glucose……primarily to see what it takes to use up what I ate and what I have stored to determine how long I need to be in the fasting state and start with the ketone (ie fat) business. I am pretty f’ing good at gluconeogenesis. However, I would not use glucose or ketone strip to test if I was in “nutritional ketosis”….which is a farce on it’s face.

the point is….if you fast long enough you will lower your basal insulin….a good thing..if even for a while before refeeding. Chronically elevated insulin due to stuffing face all the time is not appropriate for the best health.

• thhq on July 21, 2017 at 05:42

I use low intensity exercise (walking and cycling daily) to improve all the longevity factors I cited. Higher HDL, higher thigh circumference, lower systolic blood pressure, and lower waist circumference all result from that.

I still can’t stuff my face. But I’ve rendered myself macronutrient insensitive. I’ll cite one study which begins to explain how exercise increases insulin sensitivity.

Looking at the Jimmy pictures, I’d guess 44″ waist and 24″ thighs…WTR pushing 2…he’s in the danger zone…

25. Limey on July 20, 2017 at 14:12

Here’s what I do: eat 15 hourly meals, each with 13 grams of protein and no more than 130 calories each per day. If you cook a meal, then just eat it bit by bit over the next few hours. I don’t feel like I have any big blood glucose spikes.

• Limey on July 20, 2017 at 14:16

I take BCAA and creatine during my workouts.

26. Hap on July 20, 2017 at 14:39

Limey

You are an outlier….

Why would you not want any glucose spike. It’s not the spike its the magnitude and length of the spike. We “evolved” under circumstances which produced spikes…..and valleys, light and dark, cold and hot, yin and yang, Tom and Jerry. Consider relistening to Art D’s “renewing cycles” podcast.

However, enjoy your freedom to choose your own way.

27. Limey on July 22, 2017 at 14:04

Big changes in Keto Land. It looks like Jimmy Moore has a new co-host (and photo of himself) for the Keto Talk show. Does anyone know what is happening to Dr Nally (aka Doc Muscles)?

• Limey on July 22, 2017 at 18:42

I found this article where a Will Cole mentions ketogenic diets: “This is one reason why Alzheimer’s is often referred to in the medical literature as “type 3 diabetes.” On the other hand, a ketogenic diet—where fat, not sugar, is your primary source of energy—has been shown to do some remarkable things for your brain health.”

• Richard Nikoley on July 22, 2017 at 14:54

Here:

As to the new guy, LOL (see image)

• Nils on July 25, 2017 at 04:04

Limney, the problem with considering a keto diet as a cure for diabetes is that it’s complete rubbish.

Diabetes type 2 is not an insulin disorder per se, it is just how it was discovered (sweet urine). People with diabetes have problematic lipid profiles too, leptin resistance, fatty liver and pancreas and lots more problems.

If carbs were the sole problem, then yes, a keto diet would make sense. However, carbs aren’t by themselves the problem. It’s an energy overload issue, be it fat or carb. Insulin is just a proxy for diabetes, it was never an end all be all. Look at the people treating LDL-C cholesterol as it if’s from the devil, yet medicines slashing your cholesterol levels barely do anything for your CVD risk (not to mention the dubious effect on your overall mortality). High cholesterol is not necessarily problematic because of high cholesterol, but because it’s a downstream effect of poor metabolism and health.

High blood sugar/insulin is a metabolic problem resulting from years of (metabolic) abuse. Replacing carbs with fat doesn’t help, overall energy intake needs to go down. As evidenced by the complete reversal of diabetes in days of people that can’t eat due to bariatric surgery.

• Limey on July 25, 2017 at 10:42

Nils. I agree. Caloric restriction/deficit is the cure. Being in true, not fake, ketosis is just a symptom of being in a calorific deficit and can be achieved regardless of food macros.