We Interrupt The Regularly Scheduled Program To Mock Jimmy Moore (Again)

IMG_0432
It’s too easy.

One of the strategies I’ve employed since leveraging bullshit with my Ketotard Chronicles, is to not only ridicule the vast ketotardedness, but to contrast it with valid forms of ketogenic dieting, of which there are many—including a plain chronic caloric deficit, no matter what you eat. Starvation is also ketogenic. OK, maybe starvation isn’t a “valid” form of diet, but it’s the gold standard of pure keto per se. If you don’t understand that, it’s why you’re being a fool.

But some want to claim veritable Trademark status, since the dudes in 1920 didn’t trademark The Epileptic Diet as “Nutritional ketosis.””

Actually, there is a form of Keto, that far from the dismal commiserating in all of these “keto” forums, actually works, and works well. Not to be too exuberant, it’s basically a small variation of the program Martin Berkhan created some know so well: Leangains. This one is called Ketogains. They’re interchangeable in my view.

1. Both are ketogenic because they incorporate significant caloric deficit.
  2. Both are lean gaining or, you could say, recomposing, because they incorporate high protein for gains and the caldef=fat loss.
  3. Ketones, nor weight loss, are the goals. Results are the goals, which means fat loss and lean gains. Weight loss and ketoned LCD screens are byproducts.

Now, had Martin continued on, there would be no scruff at all. He’s not and wasn’t infringing on a “Trademark.” Luis Villasenor “is,” and he’s taking names and I take him as a pretty bold dude who means what he’s saying, lifts what he lifts, and isn’t particularly interested in carrying anyone’s bullshit for them.

I took note of Ketogains when I saw a plethora of high results from average peeps that I had not seen since Leangains and also, Brad Pilon’s Eat Stop Eat.

People watermark their pics so they don’t get used in some vegan bodybuilding ad, but these are Ketogains pics, to promote Ketogains.

20258034_489579661374439_4502948154537362335_n

20246413_10211375095511651_4540412860533552648_n

20264890_10211384564428368_6838337354374204058_n

20292619_10211384566468419_4046489359946686084_n

20292594_10211384567348441_3594411393359706077_n

What do these people all have in common? They were told stuff, but different stuff.

1. You have to maintain a chronic, significant caloric deficit, stupid.
  2. Keep the carbs low.
  3. Keep the protein high.
  4. Lift big weights.
  5. Get fat from foods, not pouring it on foods or fucking going out of your way to drink it in fucking coffee.
  6. Chase results. Ketones are from results, not the cause of them.

One gets a different telling of stuff in Jimmy’s various outlets and those symbiotic outlets looking to model his fabulous financial success in selling worthless crap to fools, with coupon codes.

Jimmy oozes with hate over solid, demonstrated success, because it undercuts and undermines his goal of selling worthless crap to fools, with coupon codes.

20287187_10213364067716637_4828670999600608371_o-2

Just stupid. He’s butthurt. He’s been disengenuously, dishonestly, and fraudulently peddling that protein is chocolate cake schtick since 2012 and has garnered tens of thousands of dollars off of it from abject fools, to such an extent he’s building a podcast recording studio from proceeds and paying for his chronically-health-challenged wife to get a WOOOO certification to advise others in health matters.

….If you’ve come in here thinking this is The Onion, you’re in the wrong place. Here.

Well….

20431510_991090934364290_2177383029775049776_n

Go get your Keto Troubles Shot

It’s rather amazing, isn’t it? And have you seen his latest parlor trick? He has a constant blood glucose measuring device and the guy is pinned to 70-80 range 24/7, proving, as I wrote, he’s a fucking stallion in terms of insulin sensitivity, which is why he piles on fat so quickly and easily.

If you want to understand Jimmy’s struggles, here’s another clue.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.58.41 AM

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.59.04 AM

It makes me laugh every time I read it. It’s like listening to a southern Born-Again preacher in the 80’s warning of the coming apocalypse (Armageddon) unless you fill up the offering plate that’s going to be passed around.

Anyway, ridicule and mock on, and if you still love Jimmy, here, I’ll toss you a bone. Download it into your iTunes library and put it in replay mode.

No cringing allowed. It’s kinda growing on me and I might go get some bacon.

…Well, if it is true, like Jimmy says, that “this is not a weight loss journey, it’s a health gain story,” it will be a tall tale indeed. you can count on a few pounds of added health per month.

1. ramon on July 27, 2017 at 13:40

Smoke and mirrors in jimmy land. It is so ridiculous I can’t even get my thoughts together (reading muscle and fitness books for 30 + years).

Just about every “fitness model” (and I mean people that grace magazine convers with abs showing and not neccesarrily musclebound meat heads) juggles calories, carb re-feeds and carb restriction on a daily basis to maintain low body fat year round so they can be ready at the drop of a hat for a photo shoot. Going very low carb with high protein and caloric restriction is common the industy as is carbing up with low fat to replenish muscle glycogen.

Its not a secret or some magic formula. they all do it except for the genetically flawed that have 7% body fat eating pizza.

2. Tim Steele on July 27, 2017 at 14:02

In one respect, it’s good that Jimmy is the Godfather of Keto and not Mark Sisson or some other lean pretty boy. It boggles my mind anyone would take him seriously. Can you imagine how many times a newby must ask Jimmy, “How long you been on keto?” #SAD

• ramon on July 27, 2017 at 17:34

Agreed. He is the pastor of the keto pulpit. Well there were more athletic champions of it like Ben Greenfield, but I think they realized that you can’t get ultimate anaerobic performance without carbs in some manner and have sort of moved on to other fringe subjects. Assuming you have no side effects of a pure keto diet, you can go slow all day but you can’t sprint.

The Mark thing is weird but looks like he wants to cash in on the buzz.

The ketogains folks look great, but there are folks that look great and cycle carbs too, or eat lots of taters. And your book is fascinating.

3. charles on July 27, 2017 at 15:06

A Carbohydrate Deficient Diet That Builds Muscle And No, It’s Not Keto

Pros
    1) Better GH production due to less insulin spike.
    2) Better testosterone production due to a high amount of fat intake.

Cons
    1) Damn expensive! As you need to take around 4x protein per kilo body weight.
    2) Not Sustainable for most of the people, as staying away from carbohydrates is not easy in today’s time.
    Conclusion
    Keto is basically a diet for fat loss, not muscle building. If you can cut carbs and want to still build muscle, then the gluconeogenic diet is for you.

4. Jo tB on July 27, 2017 at 22:41

Jimmy’s stomach seems to be expanding ever more. Lot’s of inflammation going on there, so I would assume his gut flora is up shit creek big time.

THE ketogenic diet doesn’t exist. We all interpret the diet differently. That happened with Atkins, Weight Watchers, you name it. I think the term: “It would be a bastardized version of the Keto diet” explains it exactly.

5. linkdrop on July 28, 2017 at 02:46

Can someone do a metabic ward study of Jimmy? Put him in there with his microphone, feed him 200 grams of protein and total calories of 1,500 a day at midday every day for 6 months and see what happens? You could live stream it and he could do daily vlogs. He might even make some money out of it somehow. No fapping either.

• linkdrop on July 28, 2017 at 02:47

*metabolic ward

6. Sassysquatch on July 28, 2017 at 04:21

This blog changed my diet and health for the better by pointing out that taters, beans and grains were actually quite healthy…..a.k.a, ‘the peasant diet’. I abandoned my low carb, high fat, high animal food ways and my health has improved a ton on a whole foods, plant based diet.

Now, the dietary winds of this blog are shifting to a high protein, watch the carbs (sometimes) experiment. So now, instead of a peasant diet, much more towards a ‘diet of Kings’. Unfortunately, the nobels and kings that ate rich foods, had poorer health and shorter lifespans than their peasant counterparts.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but one thing that ‘Blue Zone’ diets have in common is that 70 to 90% of their food comes from whole food, plant based origin. They aren’t pounding down 150 to 200 grams of animal protein on a regular, daily basis.

I’m eating a diet of 10% protein, mostly from plant sources, and my strength and muscularity has remained the same. I think I’ll remain a peasant!!

• Richard Nikoley on July 28, 2017 at 07:44

The difference is I’m not abandoning any of that at all, just using an intervention in conjunction with being back to the gym for some leaning gains. It’s the most efficient and quick way to do that.

See, dietary choices in the context of your goals. If I knew I’d be spending the winter cold, exposed, and with limited ability to get food, I’d be gulping fat and berries in a 2000 cal per day excess in order to put on 50 pounds of fat by November. 🙂

• Robert on July 29, 2017 at 12:37

Really good point Sassy, I was thinking the same. And I got to the same conclusion as Richard. It should be a temporary thing, not a lifestyle for the rest of my life. But nice to hear you can keep up muscle with such low protein. Do you track calories?

7. MAJ on July 28, 2017 at 04:58

Sassysquatch, my experience is similar to yours. I’d say I’m 90% plant based, some meat, eggs, fish once or twice a week. Lots of peasant food, zero added sugar but I do eat fruit, quite liberally right now as there is so much summer abundance.

I abandoned keto a long time ago. It just st never worked for me. A very high protein diet is difficult for me to sustain. I get bloated and choking down meat or chugging whey six times a day was irritating.

I’m dropping fat again, finally, but my body comp and stamina are improving. Cutting dairy has been yuge for my overall wellbeing. I love cheese and yogurt but they don’t love me.

From a body recomposition standpoint, and given that some whom are just starting out don’t know thing one about how/what to eat, lots of animal protein and fats are satisfying and sustainable. Consider how out of control your appetite is after being 40+++ lbs. overweight for years. A diet that feels a little decadent is an important first stepping stone — but only a step.

There are other muscles that need recomposition, too. The Willpower muscle, the put the fork down muscle, the food is fuel not a drug muscle. I really appreciate everything Richard is doing here, addressing these many matters with reason and sanity. There is no magic bullet, you have to do the work, but if you do you will get results.

And there are different ways to approach diet, for whatever reasons you do or don’t eat certain things. just don’t bounce around from one of o another because you didn’t magically drop 20 lbs in three days as a vegan or on keto. Consistency is critical.

8. MAJ on July 28, 2017 at 05:04

Also, I recall Wooo had some posts critical of Moore for his food choices. Ribs, ok. Asparagus, ok. Sugary BBQ sauce covering 2/3 of his plate? Not ok! Can’t maintain keto or weight loss that way. He got all butt hurt and blocked her in Instagram.

But, PROTEIN is the problem?

Nah. Carb creep for sure, plus those plates of deep fried avocado as between meal snacks. The first time I saw “avocado fries” I laughed and then had an uncomfortable moment of nausea. Why would you do that? Desperate for attention and to rationalize unhealthy choices much?

• ramon on July 28, 2017 at 07:21

He used to be sold on the 5-6 meals per day (speed metabolism), but I would think he should change his tune now that he is the master of “fasting”

9. Jim on July 28, 2017 at 08:58

I still can’t believe this is gaining popularity at all. I remember years ago I briefly went onto Mark Sisson’s forum and there was a guy arguing till he was blue in the face that any carbs other than trace carbs from leafy green vegetables were going to give you diabetes. Then he painfully recounted the story about watching his father die of heart failure while he held his hand. I commented, “I’m sorry for what happened to you, but I don’t think it was carrots and potatoes that put your dad in the grave.”

And here we are, probably eight years later, and Jimmy Moore is building a new recording studio from peddling the same bullshit.

• Richard Nikoley on July 28, 2017 at 10:28

The fucktarded is strong in them. Jimmy understands what morons his audience is.

• Robert on July 29, 2017 at 12:49

I’m not convinced that there’s only bad motives here. I think Jimmy might well be really convinced that Keto is the best way to health.

• Richard Nikoley on July 29, 2017 at 15:33

I’ve been a guest on his podcast twice, guest hosted it once, defended him for years.

This morning, he’s trying to settle by quoting the Bible and MLK.

You get to be as foolish as you want to be.

• Robert on July 29, 2017 at 23:28

I might just continue to be foolish actually. Why? I don’t know, maybe it just makes me feel better.

But I realized almost right after posting that comment, that it was a stupid one. I can keep those feelings to myself. I have very little insight in the matter.

10. Dave on July 30, 2017 at 15:54

Richard…thanks for all the info over the years about lifestyle, it’s greatly appreciated. I first found you when researching resistant starch. Anyway, just wondering if you’ve read and pssibly reviewed Dr Steven Gundrys’ new book “Plant Paradox”. I’m on phase two of his diet plan and feeling great/losing fat.

• Richard Nikoley on July 30, 2017 at 18:06

Well, guess where I first heard about Gundry?

Jimmy Moore podcast. The first one.

I have used his products, vital reds, primal plants, and prebiothrive.

I think they are decent products.

• Dave on August 10, 2017 at 15:03

I’m still trying to decide on protein intake. Gundry recommends fairly low protein partly due to the bodies ability to recycle much of the autophagy dead cell proteins. I do heavy resistance training and still getting stronger, while maintaining weight, consuming around 0.5 gram per pound lean mass. Did 1 gram per pound for 6 months and experienced much more inflammation than now. Will reevaluate after another 5 months.

• Richard Nikoley on August 10, 2017 at 20:57

Well, I think it should be cyclical as most everything. So, I generally target a gram per pound of body weight, but then I do stages of a few weeks with very little protein, lots of fruit, even grains. Kashi 7 Grain Puffs become a staple.

11. Robert on July 31, 2017 at 05:37

I’ve been discussing in a thread at dietdoctor, where a newbie to LCHF asks for advice. He is using a fitbit and counting calories, now wants to go real low on the carbs as well

Guess what some people advice him? Stop counting calories, that seems to be most important. But count carbs and fat, so you get high enough fat %. Buy ketosticks and measure ketosis.

Where’s the logic in that?

12. thhq on July 31, 2017 at 07:02

Where did Jimmy the faith healer go?

Summarizing my main point, Jimmy is not practicing the Christian ascetic ketosis of Jesus, John the Baptist and Saint Simeon. Starvation/fasting with milk, honey, goat’s milk and bread.

Jimmy needs to repent of his slothful butter indulgence and get on the right path.

• MAJ on July 31, 2017 at 07:23

Really man.

Why not The Daniel Diet? Oh, right, not enough gluttony permitted.

Such strange goings on, when one adheres to a faith centered on agrarian tradition and worship and eating habits, yet eats like a heathen hunter gatherer. I suppose anything can be rationalized by claiming faith in God. The right kind of faith, though…

I’m a lapsed Catholic, born, raised, and educated. Born agains think we’re Satan worshippers at best so I’ve never put much truck in their puritanical ravings.

• thhq on July 31, 2017 at 07:39

I meant to include locusts instead of repeating milk maj. But that’s the basics. Jimmy blows off the true Christian approach to ketosis in favor of what suits his wallet.

The butter fetish bothers me. It’s no more paleo than bread, yet most paleo/ketotards gobble it down. It’s their golden calf.

• Richard Nikoley on July 31, 2017 at 08:05

If you’re referring to yesterday’s post, I took it down. Here’s what I wrote on FB about that decision.

OK.

I don’t always get everything right. After reflection, I’ve taken down the blog post mocking Jimmy Moore’s born-again version of Christianity.

While I’m happy to ridicule Jimmy’s butchering of the science, his shyster ways in that regard, his laughable appearance in the context of what he does, and also his pleas for peace, love, and kumbaya…his faith-based approach in general toward all of it…attaching the specific beliefs of one sect of a religious tradition casts too wide a swath.

It needlessly offends people who may hold semblances of those beliefs to various degrees. I don’t need to do that.

So, I have taken down the post and will mostly chill out for a day.

• ramon on July 31, 2017 at 10:41

I’m sorry if my comment prompted that….foot in mouth.

13. thhq on July 31, 2017 at 08:30

It made me think though, richard. Fundamentalisms are selective about what’s acceptable and what’s not. Naipaul traveled across the Muslim world to write his book, from fundamentalist AK47 toting Iran to watered down Indonesia. The religion changed from the hard edged Death to Israel chants to the softer form Obama grew up in. You start to realize Obama’s caution about offenfing his brethren. It’s part of his backslidden Indonesian Muslim approach towards dealing with clear and present danger.

And Jimmy the faith healer….

14. Robert on August 1, 2017 at 23:32

Recent Q&A at dietdoctor:

“I understand that if one eats more carbs (glucose) and/or protein than one’s body can immediately use, the excess can be stored as fat. What happens to dietary fat if one eats more of it than can be used? Is it, too, stored, or does the body excrete it?

Kathleen

It’s mostly stored, though there may be a slight increase in calories burned on low carb.

Don’t eat when you’re not hungry, and this should not really be an issue on a low-carb diet, as fat is very satiating.

Best,
    Andreas Eenfeldt”

It’s good that he admits excess fat is stored. Many still try to get around that, often referring to the Sam Feltham experiment.

But once again it’s being repeated, that fat is so satiating. Is that really true, is there any research showing this? Sure, there is always individual differences, one guy feels really satisfied with fat, another with carbs, etc. But isn’t the research consistently showing protein is King for satiety?

• Richard Nikoley on August 1, 2017 at 23:38

So bullshit.

He doesn’t even understand that novolipogensis is about the least used pathway ever.

It’s fuckimg hard and rare to to turn carbs to fat.

Bears are good at it, in the fall.

• Robert on August 2, 2017 at 00:20

Yes, it’s hard to imagine anyone getting really fat on an all carb diet. Even the dreaded white bread is really boring to eat without butter and cheese.

So, according to low carb logic, storing fat as fat is possible in theory. But since fat is so uniquely satiating, this never happens in real life…

There is something to it, removing the ultra palatable combo of fat+carbs will protect from a lot of overeating. And it seems like most can lose weight on LCHF ad libitum if they are really fat. But it seems like very few get really fit, they all have those last 10-20 pounds or so left to lose, even after many years on LCHF.

Why? Because of dogma they shun calorie counting, protein and often even exercise. Not everyone fear protein, but getting ripped might require going low fat for some time, which is unacceptable.

But no one sees that, it’s always the thyroid, or this or that. Or simply: “my body has decided this is my healthy weight, and I have to accept that even if I don’t like it”

No one will advice to eat less to lose more weight, rather they will often suggest to even further limit the accepted foods, like cutting dairy. Or eating more fat, fasting, etc, etc.

• thhq on August 2, 2017 at 05:27

Fat is satiating if you eat excessive amounts of it.

No diet is an unlimited buffet.

• Robert on August 3, 2017 at 03:09

Ha ha, as always, I find that whatever I think of has already been dealt with extensively here before. Nothing new under the sun.

15. TeeDee on August 2, 2017 at 16:03

One day, LCHF is king, then VLCHF, then Zero Carb, now back to High Carb? So many contradictions, I can’t keep it all straight anymore. I’m totally about my own n=1 and have learned what works and what doesn’t by trying them all (I was also a vegetarian, then vegan for a few years, so I mean I’ve tried it all). All I know from all the experimenting is that when I eat carbs like breads, crackers, potatoes and pasta, I get the worst hunger and cravings for more carbs and gain lots of weight, frightening fast. So, I’m eating what I know is causing weight loss, good blood work and peace of mind: lunch and dinner consisting of mainly meat, poultry, fish or eggs with some veg on the side, ‘if’ I feel like it. Works for me and if it doesn’t for anyone else, so be it. They should do what works for them.
    As for Jimmy Moore? I used to go on his site about 4 years ago and finally asked if he were ever planning to provide transcripts for his podcasts. I find I can read much faster and it’s less time consuming than listening to an interview. He got very, very defensive and talked about how horribly expensive it would be to provide transcripts for the 5 podcasts he does each week. I had the distinct impression he wanted me to consider hitting that ‘donate’ button. I simply decided to go to other sites instead. But just recently, I asked him again on Twitter and he was just as defensive and whiny about the transcripts and suggested that he would soon “go broke” if he had to provide transcripts for FIVE podcasts each week. And here I thought he was an “internationally best-selling author”, etc. :/

16. Campbell on August 4, 2017 at 21:32

I have to say I am utterly confused as to what I should be doing. It’s unreal how much conflicting information is out there regarding keto/low carb/high protein/moderate protein/high carb/some carbs/no fruit/some fruit/potatoes/no potatoes…etc. Just in this comment thread alone there are differences. It’s overwhelming. I know we have to do what is best for ourselves, but when you’re brand new, it would be nice to have a solid foundation/plan in place. I’ve been doing “keto” or what the heck ever name since May 13. By “keto” I mean, 5% of my food comes from carbs, 70% comes from fat, and 25% from protein. My calories are set at 1600, which is about 500-600 less than I had been consuming on the 21-Day Fix eating plan from Beachbody. So, I am eating at a calorie defict, which I do believe is important. I don’t buy into “calories don’t matter’. Anyway, I immediately started doing intermittent fasting, and this past month I have been doing extended fasting. Since May 13th, I’ve lost 30 pounds and that’s without doing much exercise yet. I have a fair amount to lose, still. All this to say, after reading some of what you’ve written, after reading all the different factions of keto-following on Facebook, after reading info in the Keto Subreddit, and after reading just random research quoted here and there on the Internet, I am so confused. Are you saying I should be eating more protein and less fat? I am not one who ADDS fat to her meals. I don’t drink butter coffee or butter tea, either. But I do have my fat macro percent set at 70–is that too hight? Also, I don’t feel good eating a lot of meat, but I’ve been doing since May, and obviously it’s working if I’m losing pretty steadily.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Richard Nikoley on August 4, 2017 at 23:49

Step on the scale, whatever the weight, eat that many grams of protein every day.

Report back in six months.

• TeeDee on August 5, 2017 at 05:23

Campbell, I could have written the same comment you posted. The contradictions ‘are’ overwhelming. You just got another piece of info about eating the same number of grams of protein as your present weight; yet if you were to read Amy Berger’s book, The Alzheimer’s Antidote, she recommends eating the amount of protein for your “desired” weight. I tend to lean that way. That said, I’ve now decided that I’m going to only follow the advice of those doctors who are 1) Rogues who decry mainstream advice about obesity/diabetes and 2) have many patients eating low carb, intermittent fasting, etc. because they are in the trenches and seeing the results up close and personal. They also see the blood work that tells the story of what works for their patients. Dr. Jason Fung is at the top of the list for me, as well as Prof Tim Noakes; Gary Fetke; Nina Teicholz, Amy Berger, etc. etc. Find the people who aren’t afraid to admit that the dietary advice they may have given a decade ago, is not the same they’ve given since. A true “scientist” is the one who wants to keep learning and discovering, while sharing new findings with others. Here’s to both of us finally losing our excess weight and feeling great while doing it. 🙂

• Richard Nikoley on August 10, 2017 at 12:23

I get so tired of the ABJECT FUCKTARDEDNESS about protein.

Regarding the actual amount of protein people “should” be eating, this too is relative. However, the RDA has been shown to be insufficient for most everyone. First, the RDA is based exclusively on nitrogen balance data, which has several limitations such as the way in which the data is analyzed (linear fits used for nonlinear data), inaccurate estimations of nitrogen intake and excretion, and the one to two-week adaptation period required before protein intake measurements can be taken (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12626690).

This last point about the two-week adaptation period is especially important to consider because isotope tracer studies have suggested that there are four stages of protein metabolism: deficiency, accommodation, adaptation, and excess (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2407099). Nitrogen balance studies may show that people are in nitrogen balance at lower intakes of dietary protein because the body adapts to this lower amount by downregulating physiologically relevant pathways, like muscle protein synthesis and immune function. Sure, we can survive in this state, but we can’t thrive or be healthy. I’m sure we can agree that the focus should be on conditions when both optimal growth and immune function are present.

The Indicator Amino Acid Oxidation (IAAO) technique is a method for determining protein requirements that overcomes many of the shortcomings of nitrogen balance studies (http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/2/243.full). For instance, only a minimal adaptation period is required before testing of protein requirements. Past research using the IAAO technique has also suggested that the protein RDA for healthy young men (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17921376), older men (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26962173), and older women (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25320185; should be greater than it is currently, around 1.2 grams per kilogram.

But these are still just estimations. As such, the strongest evidence against the RDA’s sufficiency comes from a randomized controlled trial conducted by Bray et al in 2012 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3777747/). This was a highly controlled metabolic ward study in which sedentary men and woman were fed 0.8 (the RDA), 1.6, or 2.4 g/kg of protein per day for two months. This was in addition to consuming 40% more calories each day than required to maintain weight. It was clearly demonstrated that eating the RDA for protein led to a significant loss of lean body mass compared to the other two groups despite eating a relatively massive amount of food.

Considering that most of the population is overweight or obese, which greatly increases the chances of developing type-2 diabetes, developing and dying from cardiovascular diseases, and dying from any cause (http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2013/11/11/01.cir.0000437739.71477.ee), it is also worth noting that several meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials have reported that eating 1.2 to 1.5 g/kg results in the most favorable changes in body composition during weight loss (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/2/260.long; http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/6/1281.long; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26883880). This finding is supported by the European Association for the Study of Obesity, who recommend that elderly adults with obesity consume up to 1.5 g/kg of protein per day (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22797374).

Considering the health risks associated with overweight and obesity, it is also noteworthy that eating a higher protein diet (27 vs 18 % of calories) significantly reduces several cardiometabolic risk factors, including waist circumference, blood pressure, triglycerides, and fasting insulin (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3392894/; see figure 2). A higher protein diet also significantly increases HDL-cholesterol and satiety.

Again, we are dealing with the general population above. An IAAO study in amateur bodybuilders has suggested that the RDA for this population be much higher at 2.2 g/kg (http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2017/02/08/jn.116.236331.short). Similarly, the IAAO method has determined that the RDA for pregnant women should be about 1.66 and 1.77 g/kg during early (16 weeks) and late (36 weeks) gestation, respectively (http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2014/09/24/jn.114.198622).

• Campbell on August 10, 2017 at 10:52

I guess I’m more interested in the benefits of autophagy while eating a keto diet. So when I read this, it just makes me more confused about how much protein to eat. I do fasting a couple times a week (usually intermittent but sometimes extended) more for the benefits of autophagy than the hopes of weight loss. I feel like eating a keto diet will handle the weight loss aspect of my journey.

“One of the quickest ways to shut down autophagy is to eat large amounts of protein. What this will do is stimulate IGF-1 and mTOR, which are potent inhibitors of autophagy.

That is why it’s best to limit your protein to about 40 to 70 grams per day, depending on your lean body mass. The specific formula is one gram of protein for every kilogram of lean body mass, or one-half gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.”

Thoughts anyone???

• Richard Nikoley on August 10, 2017 at 12:16

Nonsense.

Autophagy happens every night. Food intake in general downregulates lots of stuff, including autophagy.

Want more autophagy? Fast.

• Campbell on August 10, 2017 at 13:27

Richard–I do fast. I just wanted your input (or anyone else knowledgeable) about that info I found on Dr. Mercola’s site stating too much protein can stop autophagy. So, I appreciate the information you linked in your response. I’m trying to learn and do things the right way, so if that makes me stupid–so be it. There is so much info out there, it’s hard to know what’s right. Thank you for your time.

• Richard Nikoley on August 10, 2017 at 14:02

I meant that in general and it’s disappointing there are so many assholes out there stealing people off even RDA adequate protein which is, in itself, deficient. Everyone should consider 100g a lose absolute limit and 25-35% optimal. I aim for 40%.

17. Gordon on August 8, 2017 at 07:21

I believe the information on this blog regarding resistant starch and food enrichment is the most important health information on the internet. For me after all these years the dietary philosophy has boiled down to the following.

1. DO NOT EAT ANY ENRICHED FOODS
    2. DO NOT EAT VEGETABLE OIL
    3. EAT LOTS AND LOTS OF FODMAPS

Enriched foods include those with added yeast. Technically olive and coconut oils are exceptions to the vegetable oil rule but who cares. Like Richard says, add as little fat as possible to your food.

If you have a “craving” for foods that are not enriched then your body probably needs what is in that food. Eat it!

The emphasis on muscle-mass also ignores connective tissue health, which seems to be more important for quality of life as well as strength. For evidence of quality-of-life impacts one need search no further afield than Richard’s own back. Regarding strength, if you don’t have full range-of-motion in a given joint, you won’t have the mechanical advantage to lift as heavy a weight.

Lean muscle-mass gain should tag along after connective tissue rehab it seems. Even Martin Berkhan was taken down by injury.

I also wonder how much of people’s stubborn last 10-20 pounds might be due not to caloric surplus or stubborn metabolism, but to the loss of range of motion or muscular strength leading to the inability to move nutrients and waste products in and out of connective tissue (including fat deposits)? Connective tissue relies on movement to do housecleaning after all.

• Richard Nikoley on August 8, 2017 at 11:59

“The high-protein stuff seems like another moon-shot hack. It might sort of work, but it feels like it is trying too hard.”

Nope. It’s actually the “missing link” to the whole deal. While everyone quibbles over fat vs carb, they miss the far bigger picture. See the attached image.

Elegant. Exactly as I’ve been harping on.

1. Control for caloric intake first.
      2. Target adequate to high protein second.
      3. Quibble all the fuck you want about fat vs carb, because it doesn’t fucking matter if you have the first two squared away.

I got that image from this article. Didn’t even know there was an influential guy out there saying essentially the same stuff I’ve been saying, even down to the simplicity of 1g protein per pound of total body weight.

18. George on August 19, 2017 at 09:43

Ever wondered why Dr Davis, the Wheat Belly guy doesn’t look like he is doing it? Everyone I know that follow WB and lose weight lose the fa in their faces. People I know who had bariatric surgery gets thin faces, but now Dr Davis. Why is that? He doesn’t follow us own money making machine??