Keto [Tard] Diet Update #2: Dr. Adam Nally Will Completely Shut Down Your Body Fat Burning For Six Months, For The Low Price of $5,997

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 3.17.31 PM

Yes, I already mocked this screen clip in Ketotard Diet Update #1. But “DocMuscles'” sales page—“how do I get into ketosis?””—is just simply the gift that keeps on giving.

Let’s ridicule it some more. …His whole approach too, and his money-grubbing bromance with jimmy moore. We’ll take a completely different angle this time. Still science, just a different part of it.

First, let’s establish something fundamental where understanding it will immediately lead you to certain knowledge over who out there is a fraud and a shyster, and who’s talking sense about ketosis. Let’s explore it by answering Dr. Adam Nally’s question, “”how do I get into ketosis?””

Simple: oxidize fat; that is, lose fat via some combination of an effective diet and exercise—and toss in some work ethic and discipline for good measure. Ketones are a byproduct of fat oxidation. Remember it and never forget it: ketones are an effect, NOT a cause. It’s a sound, rational diet that’s the ultimate cause of your fat loss. Ketones—an effect of this fat loss—are merely the evidence along the way that you’re indeed losing body fat. Technically, any diet that produces significant and sustained fat loss is ketogenic and it would be a lot better if the term were actually used accurately rather than having it be co-opted by con-artists who specialize in selling advice and products to produce ketones from dietary fat and supplements, measure them to say SEE! but which never results in fat loss—apart from an aforementioned sensible diet—while often resulting in fat gain.

Listen to all the hype. How many of these Ketoshysters with their slogan-hype—when not explicitly claiming that “ketones” are going to somehow cause you to be “fat adapted” and “burn more fat” (implying body fat)—are very comfortable with your convenient misunderstanding: hopes and expectations that you’ll be better off if you just buy some $40 bag of ketones to drink rather than put in the effort required to actually oxidize body fat by means of a sensible diet that accounts for energy in and out?

If ketones actually do cause anything, we can still know these two things:

1. They can not have anything to do with stimulating body fat oxidation since they’re an effect of that
  2. Any hypothesized other good things that might derive from them are better understood as benefits of losing excess body fat since that’s what has to be done to have ketones

The whole thing is rather daft, and do you know why? Because the frauds and shysters explicitly cater to a market segment of ‘tards, lazy asses, and excuse-making failures that spend a lifetime searching all around the vicinity of the real answer to their problems, but never zero in. They don’t want the truth, can’t handle the truth. Sorry to say it, but they seem to congregate in mutual commiseration. One big-ass pity party. The result of all this is an ethically fraudulent market in exogenous ketones, hyper-fat and low-protein diet advice—The Epilepsy Diet aka Nutritional Ketosis—that says “calories don’t count” and “eat more fat to burn more fat,” and measuring devices and testing strips so that people can verify that they are burning dietary fat (go figure, if 80% of your diet is fat) and that those orange-flavored $40 bags do indeed contain ketones.

Tired of paying for probiotics that do nothing, because they aren’t engineered to do anything? Then learn about a dose engineered to make it all the way through to your colon, and then deal directly with the engineer and manufacturer.

But none of these bogus products or services cause anything remotely to do with fat loss. They serve only to mimic an effect while pretending it’s a cause, in order to make cash off poor ignorant people who’ve been scammed a million times already. In spite of what I wrote above, I do root for these poor souls. And arguably, I care more for them, since I’m willing to actually tell them the God’s Honest Truth about their flaws rather than blow smoke up their asses while fleecing their pockets; and all while, I most righteously and with profound indignation, condemn morally those who are cheating them out of life and money and all who’re associated or affiliated with them, along for the gravy-train-ride.

…I first heard of these bags of exogenous ketones at paleo f(x) last year. I had a viscerally negative reaction right away, though was intrigued to look into it. My reaction stems from my general resistance to the notion that is some is good, then more must be better:

If good function g(x), then better function b(xy), where y>1

That’s obviously wrong in general with no need of explanation. A more natural way of looking at it is by means of positive and negative feedbacks. Both exist in nature, but in general, positive feedback dominates when some process is “too low,” and negative feedback dominates when too high; and thus, homeostasis or stability in the system or process is achieved and maintained. Bad things tend to happen when things aren’t checked and you get runaway chain reactions. More is usually not better unless you’ve got too little already and less can be better when you’ve got more than enough.

Positive and negative feedback loops also exist in politics and economics, but I’ll leave that for another day.

So, yeah, exogenous ketones, eh; so like not produced by fat oxidation, just ingested? What’s the negative feedback, I wonder? What happens if ketones are too high? I didn’t think of it after that, never bought or tried any (I prefer my ketones endogenous, via fasting and sustained caloric deficit) but then this comment to one of my Facebook posts, by Chris Masterjohn, got me thinking again. The first paragraph addresses the CPT-1A gene mutation in Inuit that hinders or prevents ketosis. The second paragraph addresses exogenous ketones.

masterjohn

So, I did a little Scholar.Google digging: Inhibition of ketogenesis by ketone bodies in fasting humans (E.O. Balasse; M.A. Neef — April 1975)

Although there exists some indirect evidence that circulating ketone bodies might inhibit their own production rate, the direct demonstration of this homeostatic feed-back phenomenon is still lacking. The present work aims at demonstrating the operation of this control mechanism in human fasting ketosis.

Six obese subjects, who fasted 2–23 days, were given a primed constant i.v. infusion of 3-14C-acetoacetate for 4 hr. After a control period of 2 hr, unlabeled sodium acetoacetate was administered as a primed constant i.v. infusion at the rate of 0.688–1.960 mmol/min until the end of the study. During both periods, the rates of inflow of ketones were estimated from the specific activity of total ketones measured under near isotopic steady state conditions.

During the control period, total ketone concentration amounted to 3.98–9.65 μmol/ml and production rates of total ketones ranged between 1.450 and 2.053 mmol/min. The levels of free fatty acids, glycerol, glucose, and insulin averaged respectively 1.30 μmol/ml, 0.11 μmol/ml, , and 5.2 μU/ml.

The administration of exogenous ketones during the second phase of the study induced a 47%–92% increase in total ketone levels. During this period, the endogenous production of ketones (calculated as the difference between total inflow rate and acetoacetate infusion rate) amounted only to 67%–90% of control values. Among other factors, this inhibition of ketogenesis was probably partially related to the direct antilipolytic effect of infused ketones. Indeed, there was a concomitant fall in FFA and in glycerol levels averaging respectively 13.5% and 17.3%, without significant changes in peripheral insulin concentrations.

Our results demonstrate that during fasting, circulating ketone bodies exert an inhibitory influence on the rate of ketogenesis. This mechanism might play an important role in preventing the development of uncontrolled hyperketonemia during starvation. [emphasis added]

Now, reconsider what I wrote above about the convenience that accrues to ketone peddlers when people think that ingesting ketones makes them super-fat-burners. This shit has been known for a long time. Here’s what Lyle McDonald wrote just earlier today in comments to my posting the above study on Facebook.

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 5.25.37 PM

What do you want to bet that if I scoured Dr. Nally’s and jimmy moore’s posts and writings, and went through all their podcasts together, I would find clear evidence that it’s just fine with them if potential customers believe that $40 bags of exogenous ketones (or $5,997 for a 180-day supply plus “but wait! you also get”) are going to help them more effectively lose fat and inches, when not only is that explicitly, scientifically established to NOT be the case, but THE EXACT OPPOSITE is true?

And how could that convenient misunderstanding not be taking place? Because then, who would be buying this stuff, except endurance athletes (where I can see a potential performance value)? I mean, seriously:

“This product is going to completely shut down all body fat burning every time you take it and is going to hamper all net fat loss on average. It’s going to be way harder for you to lose fat with this product….”

…But you should know that there’s already an app for this eventuality as writings are seen on walls. Here’s Dominic D’Agostino:

IMG_0612

You’ll recall from Ketotard Diet Update #1 the little goal-post-moving quote from Jimmy Moore (that some folks mistook as a made-up meme). It applies here as well.

“It’s Not a Fat LOSS Journey, It’s a Health GAIN Story”

And these people appear to keep straight faces.

Visit My New Facebook Group: “Richard Nikoley’s Ketotard Chronicles

Elixa Probiotic is a British biotech manufacturer in Oxford, UK. U.S. Demand is now so high they’ve established distribution centers in Illinois, Nevada, and New Jersey.

Still, sell-outs happen regularly, so order now to avoid a waiting list.

1. linkdrop on July 1, 2017 at 20:25

Has anyone seen a photo of Doc Muscles with his shirt off? I can’t find one.

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2017 at 20:30

Not a particularly lean visage here.

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2017 at 20:31

Nor here.

• Richard Nikoley on July 1, 2017 at 20:32

Belly overhang here.

• Charles on July 2, 2017 at 07:01

Akways wears loos shorts

2. Charles on July 2, 2017 at 13:19

Start here to follow this woman’s quest for fasting/ketone magic

• Charles on July 2, 2017 at 13:20
    • Richard Nikoley on July 3, 2017 at 07:40

Interesting, Charles.

I read/scanned through the whole thing. Well, the cancer angle is rather speculative, especially given later research that some cancers love ketones.

Certainly effective for weight and fat loss (her dietary fat was not particularly high so we can safely assume most of the ketones were coming from body fat), but that’s best explained by caloric deficit, not Magictones.

So, conclusion for me is, if you’re going to lose weight and fat effectively via caloric deficit, then probably a 1-1.5 pound per week schedule is better, and a more robust variety of foods, including ample carbohydrate is going to make it less stressful. The bod is already stressed from caldef, and that’s where the Magictones are primarily coming from. Engaging in glucose starvation on top of that is superfluous, dumb, and adds no benefit I can see.

3. Tim m on July 2, 2017 at 05:23

He looks pretty strong. Here’s a video of him in a t shirt in the kitchen. He definitely lifts but his midsection is pretty thick

4. Sassysquatch on July 2, 2017 at 06:09

Yeah, but he has a stethoscope around his neck, so that means he’s an official doctor and everything he says is true!! Maybe Jimmy should buy a stethoscope.

• Richard Nikoley on July 2, 2017 at 06:25

He peddles that “Doc” and “Doctor” thing everywhere and all the time. He’s his own walking argumentum ad verecundiam fallacy.

• Limey on July 2, 2017 at 12:08

All the doctors In know (plenty btw) only put their stethoscope around their neck when they’re doing their rounds in the hospital wards. If they’re in their office, it stays off. Nothing to say you can’t leave it on all the time of course…

• Nocona on July 5, 2017 at 18:48

Well somebody needs to stuff that stethoscope up his arse.

• Linda Starr on July 9, 2018 at 23:17

I do know that he’s a real doctor. His practice is right down the street from me and I’ve walked by his office many times since he’s next to a great physical therapy office I sometimes go to. He has a lot of reviews online from people complaining about appointment times and how little time he spends with patients, etc. Some people say they used to love him, but that now he seems to have taken on too many patients and some are leaving. He was recommended to me when I first moved here four years ago, but an appointment couldn’t be had for several months so I didn’t pursue it.

5. Nils on July 2, 2017 at 06:16

But, for 6 grand you do get – read it and weep – one (1) hour (!) of personal consultation! Wow wow wow

• hap on July 2, 2017 at 16:47

I’ll do it for 3k….

6. Tim m on July 2, 2017 at 07:45

I really don’t understand the logic of taking ketones. He says at the start that you can get into ketosis by just eating high fat low carb. So it’s a no brainer getting started.

Then, I thought that the big benefit of being in ketosis was that it gets your body to switch to burning your body fat for fuel. So you really wouldn’t need or want any extra ketones until you burned up all of your body fat. I don’t think the doctor is anywhere near under 10% body fat. It looks like he can go days and days on his current fat stores. So why would he bother eating ketones?

I can’t believe anyone would pay any money for this, let alone $10,000 for the year. That’s $30 freaking dollars/day. Anyone with that amount of money to piss away has to be smarter, don’t they?

• Richard Nikoley on July 2, 2017 at 08:23

My guess is that’s it’s a marketing ploy where people see those huge $$$ numbers and it makes them feel like they’re getting a smoking deal at $6 per day for 5 days.

• Shameer M. on July 2, 2017 at 12:48

“Anyone with that amount of money to piss away has to be smarter, don’t they?”

As the old saying goes, there’s a sucker born every minute.

7. kris on July 2, 2017 at 15:18

There may be some correlation between a high fat diet and the molecule adenosine triphophate. There seems to be little studied on this, in regard to humans. Adenosine triphophate slows nerve cell activity, heart rate and blood flow which can mimic symptoms similar to cardiac arrest, all without damaging the brain… better known as hibernation. Adenosine triphophate is considered a hibernation inducement trigger. Perhaps it also involves high fasting glucose, insulin resistance, thyroid issues… all possible outcomes of LCHF.

8. ramon on July 2, 2017 at 16:50

This is ridiculous. Hate to say Im not at the top of the marketing chain but I couldn’t live with myself if I knew I was lying to people to make money, this is like selling pet rocks or “fidget spinners” that give people false hope. Of course people taking this stuff every day are probably taking in large amounts of sodium too. Keto O/S and Keto Ca Na have 50% daily intake of salt in one serving.

Quote from Keto sports FAQ (Disclaimer I’ve bought keto Ca Na for use in sports during dieting one container lasted me 6 months since I only used it for biking).
    “Exogenous ketones make you lose fat.
    Not really. It is important to note the difference between nutritional ketosis and ketosis. Nutritional ketosis is the fat burning, low carb” blah blah blah. at least they are partially honest.

Keto Ca Na is $3.75/serving (16 servings lasted me 16 weekend bike rides while n=1 experimenting)
    Keto O/S is $5.67/serving (that is Starbucks Frapachino price) I think they imagine desperate people that can buy a starbucks every day might actually buy a bunch of this stuff.

I still have not seen the ketone salts at “The Vitamin Shoppe” but I predict we will see in in the big franchise supplement shops before too long.

Imagine the money and time saved if one simply had coffee or tea for breakfast and skipped lunch 2-3 times a week. I have a friend in the UK (US Navy vet) that hasn’t read a single book on health or nutrition. He wanted to loose weight (Surrey is hillyer than Houston) and started skipping meals (just out of instinct)..it worked. Now he does it whenever he feels like he put on a couple too many pounds.

9. Tim J Penner on July 13, 2017 at 15:27

Let me see if I understand Fat Adaptation correctly.

Caloric deficits cause keytones and fat loss occurs.
    Keytone supplements also cause keytones to show up.

OR

Exercise causes sweat and fat loss occurs.
    Sprays of salt water also cause “sweat” to show up.

Since fat loss occurs in the presence of both keytones or sweat, both should equally lead to Fat Adaptation. If only there was a way to bottle salt water for an alternative way to become Fat Adapted.

Mistfully Yours
    TJP

10. […] Adam Nally (see here and here) quits the KetoTalk Podcast and distances […]

11. Karl Hungus on April 11, 2018 at 18:58

“…ketones kill cancer cells.”

All this time, this chiropractor in Ann Arbor, Michigan had the secret to beating cancer.

Is there anything the magical ketogenic diet can’t resolve?

The transmission in my car has been flaky for about a year. I’ve just been driving it very easy. But, this weekend, I plan to drain the transmission fluid and replace it with Dave Ass-Spray’s Bulletproof MCT oil.

As a preventative measure, I’ll drop a brick of Kerrygold butter in the engine crankcase, too.

Perhaps even fill the CV boots with avocado.