Richard Nikoley’s Ketotard Chronicles is Giving Jimmy Moore a Conniption

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.50.01 PM

Well, well, what a day.

Back in early June, nearly two months ago, I had this silly idea while out to dinner with Bea. I was going to create a Facebook group to mock this form of “ketosis”” (fauxtosis is more like it) that’s basically a rehash of the 1920 epilepsy diet, redubbed “nutritional ketosis.””

And Richard Nikoley’s Ketotard Chronicles was born. I seeded it with about 20 of my FB friends initially and it’s steadily grown to nearly 1,000 members organically. Here’s some blog posts I’ve done about it.

I guess, at first, Jimmy just ignored it all. However, some members of his own various outlets and other Ketotarded outlets began posting things to my group or feeding them to me to post, and so Jimmy and these others began banning and blocking my members…and that kind of cloistering just never works. Tards…

By contrast, my group is public: anyone can see all the posts and comments, anyone can join, and all members can post (subject to my moderation) and comment. The only reason I moderate the posts is quality control. I like high signal and razor focus on the theme, which includes contrasting with valid forms of ketosis. Jimmy’s outlets have so far been closed, meaning the public can find the group, but you have to join it to see posts, post, and comment.

But now, out of extreme fear of my group, he’s made his group secret, meaning that only existing members even know it exists at all. It won’t show up in a search of Facebook.

Here’s how this developed.

fb1

I posted it and wrote:

LOL. Here’s what’s funny. In the last few days, membership requests have increased substantially. 25 new ones just overnight. The group broke 900 members yesterday and it’s approaching the 1,000 benchmark quickly.

Guess how many people I’ve blocked? One, some spammer girl from Africa, no relation to anything as to the subject of the group, just pure spam.

No need to ban or block anyone. We’re “bulletproof” and unafraid. What’s to be afraid of? We do understand poor Jimmy’s fear. Hope it keeps him awake at night.

Funny:

fb2

See what you’ve done, Jimmy?

Hahahahahha. No wonder I woke up to 25 new member requests this morning and have had about another 20 in the last few hours.

You’re being hoist by your own petard.

One commenter pointed out that this is an example of The Streisand Effect.

Tired of paying for probiotics that do nothing, because they aren’t engineered to do anything? Then learn about a dose engineered to make it all the way through to your colon, and then deal directly with the engineer and manufacturer.

It keeps getting butter and butter:

fb3

Thanks for the free promotion, Jimmy.

Membership requests flowing in steady. And by the way, there is no post or comment I am aware of threatening any violence on you or anyone else. If such a thing exists anywhere, please bring it to my attention so it may be removed and other action taken, if appropriate.

I will also not tolerate posts or comments wishing violence or harm…only Jimmy’s total financial collapse and utter loss of all influence. Plus, a soup line would probably do him a lot of good toward actually losing rather than accumulating fat.

So, in a roundabout way, we’re wishing him health, and as we know, it’s not a weight loss journey, it’s a health gain story.

17457457_10155319584246320_1767129958637867408_n

Here’s where the plot thickens. Recall in those previous clips where Jimmy announces they’re instituting a moratorium on all new memberships and he also indicates he’ll be posting the “threat” in comments. Well, I was able to get that, too.

fb4

Here’s the thing, though….

fb5

So, spies in his midst have managed to get me Jimmy’s comments after he admonished his membership to join this group in order to report it (I’m not clear on FB policies in that regard…it’s a public group…not sure if you have to be a member to report). See my earlier post on that.

Anyway, see any difference in how he presented it, verses the whole context?

Pretty dishonest, Jimmy. Now, I said I was unaware, but had just forgotten this. However, since I issued that rebuke on the spot, I think it’s better to leave it up rather than delete it.

Then, another spy gets me this hilarious culmination, our featured image:

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 12.50.01 PM

Ooh, this group is so scary, Jimmy has to basically make his own group completely clandestine. Only existing members even know it exists.

LOL. I’d say we’re having a pretty profound effect out there.

fb6

This is remarkable. Does he really believe he holds this sort of sway? Does he think that his own members, knowing this, are going to take kindly to being members under threat of expulsion simply for being a member of another group?

Keep the ketotardedness coming. We’ve a lot more mocking and ridiculing to do.

…So, that’s the drama as it stands now. Anyone with half a brain knows there is a huge number of members of Jimmy’s various outlets who’re very disillusioned with him and totally find Richard Nikoley’s Ketotard Chronicles highly cathartic.

Jimmy does not have anywhere near the solidarity within his own midst he believes he has.

UPDATE 8/7/2017:

Here’s what Jimmy is doing to people who join Ketotards, since it’s public, so he can see the membership.

20664146_494608230871582_3938025638074319551_n

But, the plot thickens.

20621198_495008377498234_3812621349910554219_n

20621928_495020144163724_2320591353622717792_n

So, there’s another development to this story about Jimmy removing people from his groups, then messaging them to strong arm them into leaving Ketotards and also providing proof of reporting the group to FB to be let back in his groups so they can be told to eat more fat and less protein in response to every question.

Eat more fat, eat less protein, eat no measurable carbs, buy my book, attend my KetoCON, buy my ketone drinks….make sure to buy the meter and test strips…and oh, yeah, report Ketotards to Facebook as a Hate Group.

Well, some of these people were innocent bystanders. That is, this group is public, and for public groups, any member can add any of their FB friends to the group, even without their prior knowledge or approval (you’ve probably been added to groups by FB friends if they thought you would be interested). So, then, these people get the missive from Jimmy or his admins.

LOL.

Can you imagine? You post something to Keto Talk about how you’re having problems and not getting results per your goals, are told to eat more fat, cut more protein, don’t count calories, etc. (and buy stuff), an FB friend who actually cares about you and your goals adds you to this group, and then you get the ultimatum.

I guess Jimmy thinks that if he blocks enough people, nobody in the cloister will even know about Ketotards, so this scenario won’t happen anymore. So hilarious. It’s only going to get worse.

We should break 1,000 members today, starting from zero less than 2 months ago. And, one of my members is worth the brains of several of his, I’m sure….

Elixa Probiotic is a British biotech manufacturer in Oxford, UK. U.S. Demand is now so high they’ve established distribution centers in Illinois, Nevada, and New Jersey.

Still, sell-outs happen regularly, so order now to avoid a waiting list.

1. fearless on August 4, 2017 at 16:37

Those who seek the truth fear nothing in their pursuit. Darkness cannot hide from light.

2. Tim Steele on August 4, 2017 at 18:11

So funny. I used to belong to a top-secret forum designed just for people trying to escape the lunacy of Jack Kruse. Jack did the same thing, banned anyone who even slightly disagreed or was reported to him as being curious about alternate views. People will see right through Dipshit Moore, but he will probably always have a following due to his cult-like attentiveness to his loyal insiders. Crazy. Just crazy.

• EatLessMoveMoore on August 4, 2017 at 21:44

I still remember Krusegate (yes, Jimmy milked that, too). God, I’ve been following the LC drama for far too long.

• Hap on August 5, 2017 at 11:34

Snake oil on social media platform……no different than snake oil in traveling circus Dubuque Iowa circa 1898.

• thhq on August 6, 2017 at 04:14

John Dehner played Jimmy Moore on F Troop….one fraud to the next following the money….

• Robert on August 6, 2017 at 12:41

Meanwhile, I commented on Tim’s blog that I didn’t feel great when I tried the potato hack. He hasn’t banned me yet, in fact he even sent me a free copy of his book (PDF). Now that’s a true gentleman.

• Tim Steele on August 6, 2017 at 13:36

If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the past couple years of intensive dietary research, there are no one-size-fits-all approaches to good health. If we don’t learn from the failures and keep an open-mind about alternate ideas, we all lose.

3. Boris on August 4, 2017 at 18:35

Hey Richard, the comedian had this exchange in the comments section of his last post at http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2017/08/03/a-dietitian-explains-why-you-shouldnt-give-up-sugar/

“Tom Naughton says:
    August 3, 2017 at 10:37 pm

I think that’s exactly why articles like this don’t have a comments section.

j says:
    August 4, 2017 at 4:08 am

you could always troll her on twitter ?
    Tom Naughton says:
    August 4, 2017 at 6:10 am

Or start an entirely new Facebook group that’s essentially a forum for trashing one person I disagree with. Some emotionally unstable people prefer that route.
    Reply”

I suppose we all have a right to bamboozle others unfettered.

• Richard Nikoley on August 4, 2017 at 23:55

I’m probably going to shut up Tom soon.

But I’ll do it by going after Chareva, who is fair game and Tom’s understandable weakness.

4. Duncan on August 4, 2017 at 23:44

The stress of it all is going to result in Moore gaining more health.

5. Terry on August 5, 2017 at 05:35

Richard, I really appreciate your blog for the science and experience you share, but the constant vitriol against jimmy moore is getting old. Debating his science is one thing, and even using a bit of humor/ridicule to make a point is effective in, well, making a point. But the extensive ridicule is making me feel like we’re back in junior high. Really now. How old are you?

• Richard Nikoley on August 5, 2017 at 10:00

56, which is old enough to know that if I don’t like something, then I move on. I never waste my time admonishing someone to conform to my standards.

That would be like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

• John on August 5, 2017 at 13:41

Please. If you can’t mock a MASSIVELY overweight diet guru, well, then comedy is officially dead.

• Richard Nikoley on August 5, 2017 at 13:59

John wins the Internet today. Hahahahaha. Pithy.

6. Hap on August 5, 2017 at 11:30

I admit….to my detriment, I guess, I don’t fully understand the social media scene. Shaming or mocking….is no fucking big deal. Banning defeats the purpose of publicity that woul direct even more folks to his site….where, presumably a larger audience to make his case and sharpen argument. Disagreement is not trolling.

Anyway I am still grappling with one perceived problem, even with isocaloric VLCHF…..and that is without ingesting sufficient complex carbs that can withstand transit to lower gut…..how do you feed the organisms that may provide so much in the way of benefit, including producing substantial ketones and short chained fatty acids, as well as myriad signalling that we barely comprehend?

• Tim Steele on August 5, 2017 at 11:57

@Hap – “…as well as myriad signalling that we barely comprehend?”
      That’s been my argument against the keto diet all along. It’s like they stumbled across a couple of metabolic oddities, ie. the body can run on ketones indefinitely in the absence of carbs, and, insulin spikes lead to fat accumulation. They put this together as the basis of a new religion and totally ignore all sound nutritional logic developed over the past 1000 years or so. The focus of the keto diet is so narrow, and the diet so restrictive, that it will burn itself out eventually. Especially when they all end up looking like Jimmy Moore despite slathering more butter on their fatty steak.

I think I might start a new diet trend based on the fact that when you get chronic diarrhea, you lose lots of weight. Or maybe an HIV diet? Actually, the hCG diet is another based on a ridiculous premise. Shoot up with hCG, then eat 500 calories a day and lose weight.

• Hap on August 5, 2017 at 22:37

I had a feeling I could lure Tim out of his slumber here.

I suppose it is possible to last for a while on a very restrictive keto diet….and that it may have short term benefit, such as shaking up metabolism and showing the little shit critters they don’t own the show. Or , as in preparing for chemotherapy or maybe an ascent of Everest.

there’s just no alternative to starving your microbiome. It absolutely requires some level of carbohydrates and of a special type to get to where the shit critters inhabit. When they don’t get their preferred “food”, the start in on the mucus layer overlying epithelial cells as they are “hangry”…..and that barrier is necessary to protect us from the bad stuff they can let loose on our system….such as abnormal signalling to the immune system. This is probably the best explanation of at least one mechanism we used to call “leaky gut”.

It seems that resistant starches of some type are extremely important. For instance recently reported that undigestible oligosaccharides in breast milk transit to the colon and vital to setup a happy biome. Maybe the Jimmster drank too much similac.

“The infant’s first exposure to nutrition sets the stage either for increased or decreased risk of obesity,” Alderete said.

HMOs accumulate in the colon because they can’t be digested. As a result, they act as prebiotics and play a role in shaping a baby’s gut microbiome — the population of microorganisms in the intestine.

“How the gut microbiome develops will have a long-term influence on obesity and health risk,” Goran said. “These compounds that are not being digested go straight into the infant’s gut and act as prebiotics. They act as fuel for microbes in the gut and help them grow and become diverse.

• thhq on August 6, 2017 at 04:20

The similarity to of nutritional ketones to hcg is so blatant, from the daily injections to the 500 calories per day.

Sooner or later the ward study will be done that shows the same effect as a saline placebo. By then they’ll already be down another rabbit hole.

• Tim Steele on August 6, 2017 at 08:42

Great comments, Hap! Couldn’t agree more.

• Robert on August 6, 2017 at 12:36

Hap,

This line of thought is what caused me to question low carb in the first place. My wife developed eczema for the first time in her life. How could this happen when we were on the perfect diet? My investigation led me to leaky gut, which quickly led to resistant starch and FTA.

• Hap on August 6, 2017 at 22:28

Tim
      I do eat russet potatoes and a very few other varieties you can find in stores. I’ve eliminated the fats that often go along including my favorite vegetable oil based “butter”…Earth
      Balance. No more sour cream or soy phony sour cream. Just salt and pepper. I just eat them hot cuz I haven’t learned to like them cooled/cold, although I guess they can be reheated.

Frankly, the Hi Maize corn starch and other “additives” don’t make a lot of sense to me but I suppose could be incorporated into recipes. I read” White beans have the highest amount of resistant starch, followed by lentils, mature peas, chickpeas and kidney beans.” Apparently rolled oats are a substantial source along with green bananas and plantains. What about oat groats?

Do you have any other suggestions for introductions of resistant starch?

• thhq on August 7, 2017 at 04:11

Small boiled or roasted potatoes are as good a cold snack as a hard boiled egg. I’m partial to little yellow finns but redskins are good too. S&P and mustard.

7. VW on August 5, 2017 at 13:28

Jimmy Moore is fat and not getting any thinner.

Yeah, I’m going to listen to that guy.

I’m not all that sanguine about improving the lives of his followers. I appreciate that Richard is, and is working to shine the light on Moore, who is a terrible person to be giving advice.

I want Moore to fall because I have some fucked up sense of justice and I just can’t shake that he ought to get what he deserves.

8. pzo on August 5, 2017 at 16:03

The surest sign of a cult, spiritual or nutritional, is when they start shutting the doors to those who don’t follow the dogma.

Think 30 Bananas and on the other side, Zeroing in on Health.

• Hap on August 5, 2017 at 22:24

HIs name is JImmy…..so there is a connection to the cult that isolated itself in Guyana and the Dear Leader forced everyone to either kill themselves or be killed.

• Tim Steele on August 6, 2017 at 08:43

Everyone must drink the raspberry-ketone koolaid to be saved.

9. Weilasmith on August 6, 2017 at 09:14

Tim steele, many type 1 diabetics exist on 30 carbs a day per Richard k Bernstein’s diet. He’s been eating 30 grams a day since I believe 1973. I was banned from art de gang’s Facebook group with no warning.

• Weilasmith on August 6, 2017 at 09:21

Artdevany

• Tim Steele on August 6, 2017 at 09:33

@Weilasmith – Lots of therapeutic benefits of a low carb, even keto, diet for specific health problems. It has no effect on gluttony, sad to say.

10. Weilasmith on August 6, 2017 at 13:41

It can reduce cravings so if strong cravings = gluttony, it can reduce gluttony.

• thhq on August 7, 2017 at 06:59

Moving on from that, the body defends a weight setpoint against weight loss. The setpoint shifts upward as weight increases. Leptin signaling at 240 lbs obese setpoint is ineffective at a 180 lb setpoint. Ravenous hunger ensues, and gluttony is inevitable.

We suppress weight regain by conscious hacks of all kinds, from ketotardism to chronic exercise. But a reset to normal leptin sensitivity for the lower weight is genetic. At least for these mice.

11. Hap on August 7, 2017 at 07:55

dont look to pharma for solution. It will come to bite you in the back……eventually.

• Hap on August 7, 2017 at 07:58

A primary goal in life these days……not to be a sucker. Harder than in sounds.

• thhq on August 7, 2017 at 08:18

Pharma these days works on the Musk principle: make the government pay.

I get sick of watching the ads on the evening news for new drugs that cost $500 a month and have a 10% chance of success on whatever they’re used to treat. People get their doctors to prescribe them, then stiff their Medicare and insurance for their useless placebos.

Can you say anything good about Victorza for instance?

12. Hap on August 7, 2017 at 13:54

thhq
    Actually the entire Venture Capital enterprise lives off government assistance and Angel investors.

My experience in developing medical devices is that Industry will only develop or seed basic research if it’s their in house idea and they buy the story and budget for it. If they dont it’s very hard for them to change the story and get the big cheeses to alter course. It’s sort of “not invented here”…a lot.

If you go to Venture Capital you’d better have not only a story but minimum 100million in revenues based on somebody else taking the risk first. IN my experience the VC’s say”let the government” (ie taxpayer) fund the real risks…..we will take it from there and then redump it on the public financial markets. The system of innovation has morphed to this monster , to a great degree , because of government funded research ( for instance SBIR grants and other “business fostering” ideas). Musk is just one example of how a master can manipulate the system to get the government to fund a pet project (electric cars), when industry can’t or won’t on a large scale because of obvious massive losses along the way. I guess it’s better than many of the shovel ready projects that were supposed to create jobs…..that’s what the government thinks it does….create jobs. Then ooops…..a trillion goes down the rat hole.

13. thhq on August 7, 2017 at 16:01

I just grabbed Victoza out of thin air. There are dozens like it.
    An A1C reduction from 7.2 to 6.9 is not exactly earth shattering, and claiming Victoza is effective for weight loss because it makes people nauseous when they use it? Come on. Even if you don’t like statins and metformin at least they’re effective for what they’re supposed to do. This is snake oil salesmanship pandering to fear, not a pharmaceutical miracle.

Beyond that the long term negative health effects aren’t known.

• thhq on August 7, 2017 at 16:15

And it gets worse as pharma funds knock-on studies looking for other “benefits”. All of a sudden Victoza is good for your heart!

A reduction in CVD events from 14.9% to 13.0% over 3.8 years….inna study funded by Novo…

Time to throw away your diuretics and start taking Victoza.

• thhq on August 7, 2017 at 16:30

Cost ineffective pharmaceutical triage courtesy of the ACA.

• Jo tB on August 8, 2017 at 08:08

thhq, I know a type 2 diabetic who has been prescribed Victoza. She has had severe nausea for over 4 months, increasing it to the prescribed dose of 1.4 mg. Unbelievable. When she was taking o.6 mg she only suffered slight nausea. Did it have any affect. She believes it did, but I don’t think so.

• Hap on August 8, 2017 at 08:16

Benefits…if they ever exist, are often incremental and hidden risks in the fat tails.

I am still not sure that a1c reductions by Meds has real meaning.

• thq on August 8, 2017 at 13:21

Hap, the tiny a1c reduction could be due to the weight loss induced by the nausea. I saw very substantial reduction in a1c with weight loss, from 8 to below 6 with no meds at all. A reduction of 0.3 is trivial, borderline insignificant. That’s why I’m suspicious of Victoza and its counterparts. Big claims, small results, lots of money.

• thhq on August 8, 2017 at 16:19

Of all people, McDougall is on the same wavelength….

$13,000 a year for these scammy meds! And even the best one, metformin, is pretty much useless for a1c reduction. McDougall of course flogs his diet as the only answer, but at least he has the sense to say that weight loss is the goal.

• pzo on August 8, 2017 at 17:45

@thhq: Metformin is most definitely effective in lowering A1c! First, the direct action of stopping the “leaking” of glucose from the liver. This is the most common reason for elevated FBG. Then, Metformin increases insulin sensitivity at the cellular level. I started Metformin ER January 2016 and over time it dropped my A1c even before weight loss.

With my weight loss, and well over a year on Metformin, my A1c is low, 4.??? And my FBG averages 85 instead of 110-115 before.

Performs “as advertised.”

• thhq on August 9, 2017 at 04:45

Metformin definitely knocked down my blood glucose pzo. But it made me nauseous and I quit taking it after a couple weeks, long before the a1c reduction. Carb counting did the same thing as metformin for me, though the ultimate answer to my problems was losing 50 lbs. The drugs are a placebo to keep people fat and drug companies happy IMO.

14. Hap on August 9, 2017 at 07:59

There does seem to be real differences between sustained and extended release formulations of metformin v regular. Tight glucose control trials do not show significant clinical outcomes. Just have to beware of glucose markers.

15. Louise on August 11, 2017 at 07:45

You will be as ineffective at opening the eyes of Jimmy and his followers to their ketotardedness as I was at opening yours to the collusion of government and the pharmaceutical and agricultural industries.

None so blind as will not see.

• Richard Nikoley on August 11, 2017 at 08:10

I have no idea what you’re talking about, Louise.