Yes You Heard That Right. I Have Registered To Vote

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

I actually just registered to vote. Held my nose and went with Republican (because primaries). Unbelievable. Last time I voted in the Presidential was ’96, Harry Browne. Last time I voted at all was in the CA recall election to oust that weasel Gray Davis in favor of Aaaanold (a disaster too).

Crazy. I’ve been at this liberty gig, generally stated, for just shy of 3 decades (28 years).

I still say we’ll never vote our way out of this fucking disastrous, dysgenic onslaught that’s destroying American culture. However, given my political activism I think voting, even if essentially symbolic, is the more right and consistent thing to do and I would encourage classically liberal to conservative minds of good will who respect borders, language, culture, and cultural assimilation to do likewise. Leftists and parasites—but I repeat myself—please just stay home.

One thing’s for sure. The Libertarians/libertarians and Randists/Randians (erroneously termed “Objectivism”) have never amounted to fuck all, never will, and are basically the equivalent of a religion. While there are some fine ideas in both and both contain Golden Rule like principles that are fine to adopt at a personal level, you’d probably be better off just finding a local community church to attend that’s not leftist or altruistic without reciprocity…and that has lots of gun owners. Then, you could be involved in a local community that actually gets shit done effectively.

I will be blogging more about this recent change of heart and mind, and how it came to pass. You can get a jump by checking out PropertarianismThe Philosophy of Western Civilization in Scientific Terms.

It’s why libertarianism and “objectivism” are dead ends. For losers. You have to deal with things as they are, not with fantasy delusions you call “principles” or “ideals.” There are no ideals, only natures to be studied and acted upon accordingly.

My 1990 entry into liberty philosophy and such was neither libertarianism nor “objectivism;” I studied those later. My entry actually emphasized the distinction between being a net value producer (for others and society) and parasitism. And while it decried taxation through force and coercion, advocating paying one’s fair share (to the commons), it is unlike libertarianism which often smacks of a desire to loot the commons and be a free rider.

Accordingly, libertarianism and “objectivism” were always unsatisfying to me, and my anarchism is unique to me (Anarchy begins at home, meaning reciprocity with like hearts and minds toward mutual benefits). This is why I see Propertarianism as both a sort of full circle to me and a grand unifying theory that fills in all the blanks, informing me why I was never happy with those other ideas even though I tacitly supported them.

Much more to follow.

1. Samuel Nock on April 1, 2018 at 04:15

Coincidentally, I just learned about Propertarianism and Doolittle recently as well, via this interview he did a few years ago at Counter-Currents.

2. lpdbw on March 31, 2018 at 17:19

Ayn Rand herself greatly objected to the whole concept of the Libertarian party, and went on record as saying the only path she saw was working within the Republican party to try to turn it into a party of freedom and liberty, since the Democrats were already irretrievably lost.

Of course, since I was young then, and knew everything, I helped found my county Libertarian party chapter.

There are a lot of people claiming to know the One True Objectivism these days. I’m glad you used the scare quotes.

• Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2018 at 22:03

Yep, I know. Everything about all of it.

Ersatz Objectivists, I used to call them.

3. David Major on March 31, 2018 at 17:40

“You have to deal with things as they are, not with fantasy delusions you call “principles” or “ideals.” There are no ideals, only natures to be studied and acted upon accordingly.”

Well said. I agree. Mostly….

Here is where “mostly” comes in, but perhaps I am missing a premise or a logical connection somewhere: From the study of nature and “nature’s” isn’t it possible that ideals –particular to the nature of what is being studied– might emerge?

In fact, I always thought that was part of Rand’s point, even though she never explicitly stated the problem in those terms.

• Richard Nikoley on March 31, 2018 at 22:06

Sure. But ideals are beliefs. We always have to contend with beliefs, some better than others.

My essential point is that while Lib and Randian ideals are better than most, they are still fantasies.

4. Sassysquatch on April 1, 2018 at 08:28

I’m 64 and never registered to vote. My original ‘reason’ was to avoid being selected for jury duty (lazy). Now that they use DLs to draw for jury duty, I guess I just used George Carlin logic to not vote.

But I agree, with the recent political climate, I’ve been leaning towards voting in the future. I wanted Trump in as a ‘screw you’ to the political system and should probably get off my lazy ass and at least do the symbolic gesture.

5. Bret on April 1, 2018 at 19:30

Glad you’re blogging about this. I could hardly believe it when you said in Nov 2016 that you wish you had voted.

The shock has worn off now, but I’m still not on board with Team Red (nor Team Blue). I absolutely expect the Republicans to get comfortable and start abusing their position, just like they did in the early 2000s. They’re big government collectivists; just less aware of that fact than the Democrats are, despite being “less bad” or “more logical” (not by much on either metric). We’re already seeing $1.3T spending bills and 14 months of limp dick continuation of Obamacare, to say nothing of the hundreds of other programs that need to be eliminated.

But, I am always willing to learn. You have convinced me handily, after some time, that libertarians are worthless (Gary Johnson’s utterly pathetic performance in 2016 helped seal the deal there). Looking forward to more of your perspective ahead.

6. Joshua on April 2, 2018 at 07:41

Individual voting is pointless if your goal is to actually get somebody elected the odds are NOT in your favor. I still vote, but with only two objectives in mind – 1) it makes the dumbest part of me feel like I’m doing SOMETHING and 2) voting is a form of very diffuse communication. Voting for somebody other than the annointed tells these clowns that there is a need that they are not meeting. In a landslide election, nobody gives a fuck, but when the election is close, it could possibly sway the way the candidates campaign or even change who the parties nominate for office.

#2 above is probably a hopeless cause because the majority of people want to elect somebody to protect them and tell them (and others) what to do, but it’s worth trying.

I gotta agree about the Randians. Too many people treat Rand’s words as received from on high, and have stopped thinking for themselves. She had some good things to say, but also some dumb things.

Libertarians… are better educators than anything else. Organizing and getting things done are just not compatible with the philosophy of – essentially – not telling other people what to do.

7. John Venlet on April 3, 2018 at 09:23

Hey, Richard. I was rather surprised to read that you’re getting into the voting thing again, though I respect your decision. I’m gonna remain on the wagon, for now. Be careful, or the next thing I’ll be reading will be is that you’re returning to the church. My best to you.

8. Gassman on April 10, 2018 at 08:32

I had an Econ professor that often claimed that the poll tax was the fairest form of taxation. Perhaps taxation is the fairest form of voter registration. If you pay a tax, you have the right to vote. This is oversimplifying a complicated issue, but if you are a taker rather than a giver, perhaps your opinion (or vote) shouldn’t count. The defining issue, as with so many issues becomes where to draw the line. I pay sales taxes, property taxes, income taxes, as well as other taxes. Do I get to vote in all polls? My neighbors pay greater amounts of taxes. Do their votes count more or do they get to vote on more issues? It used to be that you had to register to vote. Didn’t have your voter registration card on Election Day? Sorry—go home and get it or don’t vote. Lost it? Sorry—you knew the election was coming up. You should have gotten a replacement. Now quit crying and get your card so you can vote in the next election.

What about that poll tax? It’s starting to sound better and better, but where do you draw the line? How about ten dollars? That disenfranchises very few people. $1,000.00? That disenfranchises a few more peeps. Someone needs to draw the line, but then who gets to draw that line?

One man one vote sounds a little better than $1.00 one vote, but maybe the system needs a little more thought.