Low and Slow Scrambled Eggs

I went off the rails a bit last night on Facebook for engagement for fun after another 30 days away. Deleted all the posts this morning.

I have no interest in adding any value to Facebook ever again. My own blog (since 2003 it’s my own platform and approaches 5,000 posts).

Posts just like this.

…You are very likely completely incompetent at making anything even as basic as scrambled eggs. Leave your hubris at the door.

The backstory is that during our latest video Discussions series, Andy Curzon asked me to outline how I make scrambled eggs.

I did a video. All here:

1. Dad on September 3, 2019 at 20:50

Looks delicious. That’s the way I like scrambled eggs. Nice and fluffy and a little moist.

2. Jim on September 5, 2019 at 13:40

Amazing. Years and years ago, in my religious days, I was invited to the pastor’s house for breakfast and his wife made scrambled eggs that are still to this day the best I’ve ever had. I arrived right when she was about done cooking, so I didn’t see the process, but yours look just like that and I can’t wait to try it out. The only difference was she used sea salt and rosemary. Looks like I know what my breakfast will be tomorrow morning!

• Richard Nikoley on September 5, 2019 at 19:49

Be very very very careful with rosemary.

I use it, but I’m even more careful than with tarragon.

Less is more.

• Alberto Pozzi on September 13, 2019 at 06:09

Hi Richard, can You please specify WHY be very very careful with ROSEMARY ?? Thanks in advance, Albert.

• Richard Nikoley on September 13, 2019 at 09:37

It’s hyper strong and for some people tastes hyper salty.

Now, some just don’t like the taste/flavor and they don’t get the savory nature of it. But for folks who do like the flavor, less is more.

One exception I’ve found is baked in bread, often with garlic or onions. This seems to work fine, even with important amounts of it.

Typically, I’m trying to go for an essence of it.

3. Martin Archer on September 6, 2019 at 11:29

Have you ever tried whisking air into eggs with an immersion blender before cooking them? It’s an easy way to get a really light fluffy texture to them.

4. Natasha on September 8, 2019 at 15:01

Hi Richard, checking in to see how things are. I didn’t reply after my surgeries last year. I wasn’t ready to reply until now. Yes, almost a year later, I’m OK. I want to tell you, what happened to me….

Yes, there was a cancer and surgery. But the bigger impact was the absolute plummeting of quality of life. I’m fortunate that under the Canadian system, I had surgery and a good surgeon. But it was a teaching hospital and my surgeon was not available for follow ups. In fact, I got dropped by the system because I had cancer. Then, when the Cancer agency was supposed to look after me…. once again, the qualified doctor was on leave and I had a recent graduate. My cancer was uterine, a common female cancer. The surgery is again common, a complete hysterectomy. Before surgery I was promised hormones because I am young and had not gone through menopause, after surgery I was cruelly informed that because I had cancer, no hormones would be allowed.

I suffered terribly from surgical menopause. I wanted to kill myself, divorce my husband, quit my job and leave my city. Some of which seems rather redundant. No one was interested to help me. Female doctors looked me in the face and said everything I was experiencing was normal, then walked away. At 44, I wanted my life to be over. After months of begging, the experienced oncologist said, dear…would you like a referrel? Some women do need hormones….

Well, I had already been researching and reading. I learned about hormones, specifically bio identical hormone replacement. Life extension has a good write up. One author, and it’s really well researched, is Suzanne Somers. She is happy and healthy at 70, due to her research in hormones. I finally started one hormone, progesterone, which tamed my anger and insomnia. Then estrogens. The first was a vaginal insert. Within an hour, I could think. Months later, I have been able to add testosterone, which again helped me to think better, also to be calm and relaxed.

My hormone journey isn’t done. Simple drugs like baby aspirin wash out my estrogen. I literally stutter and can’t walk. My libido is still hovering around zero. When all my hormones are stable, I love my husband. When the hormones are missed or wash out, I hate my husband…and everyone else. This is surgical menopause. But many women experience these symptoms gradually…as normal menopause symptoms. Doctors dismiss and trivialize symptoms like vaginal dryness (like the Sahara!), bladder infections, even the loss of love…. They hand out antidepressants like candy, but that’s not the problem. The problem is all hormones. Why do older men marry younger women? Is it money taking advantage of youth, and youth taking advantage of money? I would say, no actually. A younger woman and a healthy older man, will have more in common…. than a mate their own age, because their hormones are a match.

I look round me and see many fabulous relationships dwindle to nothing because the wife slowly, gradually, loses love. The libido slowed too. But that isn’t enough to send up a red flag as some women don’t have a consistent libido, and might still submit to sex. But when love dries up and blows away, their is literally nothing left. I joined testosterone replacement groups, and bio identical hormone replacement groups. It’s shocking how in men and women the behaviors of crankiness and whining… are consistent with low hormones. I’m hoping to increase and adjust my hormones so that my libido returns. I actually love my husband, my job and my city.

Richard, I’ve been a fan of your writing for a long time, especially your honesty and candor. I thought you might find my experiences interesting. Was my surgery a success? Yes. Was I OK? No. But I’m working on it. Was this about scrambled eggs? Maybe. Eggs that are dropped, can mean failure. But with time and artistry, almost anything can be coaxed into success.

5. Megan on October 2, 2019 at 23:17

Mr. Nikoley, I just thought about you the other day and then again today. A decade ago I read your posts every chance I got because they really woke to me and I liked the no BS approach. Then I think you wanted to take a break or something which is understandable. Anyway, I recently was trying to drop fat again and remembered your post aboutus essentially peeing out fat we lose. That was great breakdown of how we lose fat and the fluff inside what comprises our fat cells. Anyway, you probably don’t remember me but I was happily surprised to see you still run this site! -megan

• Megan on October 2, 2019 at 23:18

So many spelling errors because of lag time and laziness, sorry ??‍♀️

6. Daniel on November 25, 2019 at 07:28

Is there a reason for adding seasoning at the end, not during?

• Joshua on December 1, 2019 at 20:42

Salt will change how the proteins set up. Pepper before completion will change texture of the spice. Either way is fine if it works for you. I prefer it this way.