The Facebook Question

I deleted my Facebook account.

It wasn’t the first time.

Sometime in 2013/14 I deleted it for the 1st time. Back then, I’d grown it to 10K plus peeps as I recall. But I’d grown it from this blog. I rarely interacted very much, primarily using it as a means to get out word of a new blog post, right here.

But then I noticed a trend, especially on the FreeTheAnimal FB page. You see, I have iron grip control, here. I own my data, and I deal with comments per my exclusive authority as the owner. It’s me who blocks and bans, and sometimes, I can be whimsical about it.

So what do all the wankers do (particularly beta-boy, virtue-signaling males)? They comment on my post notifications on FB, instead of manning up here, risking my exclusive authority and adjudication.

Why? Because, as pussy boys, they seek the protection of a higher authority. They get to say what they want, and I’m hampered: because if I shoot back as I would do here, then FB comes down on me, over there.

Unacceptable.

So I said “fuck it.”

…I had a year and half or so with zero Facebook. And I was fine. Zero trips to ER with heart palpitations.

Then I got antsy and with the extra time to craft nefarious plans, I negotiated with the wife unit for her to stand aside as I go to Mexico and live off grid; …maybe we live there when she retires from the school district.

And what’s the stupidest thing I do?

I signed up for Facebook, again, once I’m Baja and a bit isolated. It’s July, 2015, just a bit over 4 years ago. I was perfectly fine without Facebook. But I did it anyway.

I fell off the wagon.

Long story short, I gradually shifted the way I used Facebook, from primarily a notification platform for my posts here, to where most of my quotidian antagonism was original on Facebook, and onto near exclusivity, on Fucking Facebook. Shame.

As such, I got the ban, regularly. It began in the run up to the 2016. The obese women FB hires to police your writing and ideas are not fans of my work.

Long story short, I’ve gotten the ban 18 times and after the first few, it’s 30 days each time. Shorter: I’ve spent over 400 days in banned status over 4 years.

I’m incorrigible.

But, here’s the thing. I was always a bit libertarian in my judgment of it. OK, I disagree with their so-called Community Standards (Ayn Rand: “whose community?”) but went along, even in the course of 17 bans.

The last one was quite different.

They gave me an opportunity to request that they take a second look which in the new language of Euphemism, means: ‘we’ll have a human being take a look.’

I actually suspected that the human might get it right and they did.

And I thought, ‘OK.’

But, then, their nefarious bad faith is exposed. Whereas, one other time recently when I won on appeal, my posting privilege was immediately restored. This time, not. I thought it might be a glitch.

The ban stood, and it would stand for 29 more days.

Unconscionable.

Because the first instance was different and posting function was restored immediately, I gave benefit of the doubt, for the simple reason that when I attempted to post, I was informed “something you recently posted went against our community standards….” which was now false.

So, I put in a trouble ticket via the Help Desk.

Within an hour, they did not restore posting function. Instead, they changed the notification.

“We’ve noticed unusual activity on your profile and you won’t be able to use Facebook or Messenger for 29 days.”

In other words, ‘we’re just keeping the ban; we want it even though we exonerated you and even put your post back up.’

Why endure this? It’s prima fasciae bad faith. There have been many an allegation leveled at Facebook over bad faith dealing, but this is unequivocal.

So, I just deleted my Facebook account, again.

…I take note in parting that’s it’s a kindergarten. Over the previous 17 bans, not a single friend or family member ever stood up with a single word about it in an original post. Not one, not a single time. There are no backbones I’m aware of.

It’s like being called onto the carpet in kindergarten. Even all the children who like your rambunctious ways, stand silent. They take in the chilling message, which is the whole intent of it. Clear injustice or the color of it doesn’t mean a shit to any of them. They’re focussed on the next recess.

Facebook is for abject children. I tried, for years, to do my part to grow it the fuck up but no. It’s all children and it’s all it will ever be.

For the children.

No wonder the age demographic keeps going up. Old people are child-like the older they get.

Now go fuck off.

1. Tim on September 10, 2019 at 19:11

What kills me, say you have 5000 “friends.” When you post something only people “likely to interact” will ever see what you posted. Unless you pay. Then a few hundred more will see it. I think it’s not out of the question that there are people spending 100’s of thousands to get their posts seen. Such a farce…they make it impossible to grow your audience without their paid permission.

2. Bret on September 16, 2019 at 00:33

Business students learn a saying about Tech: “If you don’t pay for the service, you are the service.”

Facebook is electronic crack for consumers viewed in nothing but the utmost contempt by the fart sniffing feel good fairy bitch communists of silicon valley.

You’re too smart for that shit. Stay away.

• Richard Nikoley on September 16, 2019 at 01:55

Always a joy to hear from you, man.

How are our B-737s flying these days?

• Bret on September 16, 2019 at 10:01

They’re plugging along. No definite end in sight to the timeout on the Max, but rumor is late this year.

It’s been a fascinating mess to observe, and sadly unsurprising given the heavy involvement of government in all things aviation.

Accountability being proportional to market forces and all.

• Richard Nikoley on September 16, 2019 at 10:20

The whole gig pisses me off.

The 737 is the most successful airframe in commercial aviation history, Boeing fucking ruins it, tries to fix it with a gizmo many pilots didn’t truly understand.

3. Evolutionarily on September 19, 2019 at 03:22

I’m sure I am not the only one who will miss your posts, from what I can tell it was a writing outlet you don’t have or utilise anywhere else, that I know of at least. Maybe time to get more active in Twitter?

• Richard Nikoley on September 19, 2019 at 09:08

I have been somewhat more active on Twitter of late. Ultimately, I want to be writing more right here, once I get a few more issues sorted.

4. Regina on September 28, 2019 at 11:47

Bah humbug, you’re missed on facebook!

5. Dan Linehan on October 2, 2019 at 08:07

Man, fuck Facebook… I haven’t been on there since sometime around 2010 or 2011. It’s mind-boggling to me that it’s even still a point of discussion in 2019.

It was always a pretty poor way to communicate, imo. At last for my use case, which was wanting friends to hear about interesting / exciting things going on in my life. I had like 300 friends on there — a good mix of family, old coworkers, old school friends, people from a local sports league, etc. — and I happened to have a fairly successful startup at the time, so I’d post about that… and got back crickets.

For whatever reason, at least back then, the algorithm would only show my post to a few people at first, and if none of them liked or commented, it wouldn’t show it to anyone else. At least that’s my assumption.

So I was like 26, pulling in $1k / day in AdSense revenue, and trying to tell my family and friends how exciting it was, and every post I’d submit would just get totally ignored. Out of ten posts that actually had a bit of depth, nothing super dense or overly intellectual, just describing some of the challenges and successes, (like a $12k hosting bill from Rackspace), I probably got around 2-3 comments total. The vast majority of things I posted were ignored completely.

Then I’d see the most banal and superficial crap get put on my feed with tons of comments, so eventually one week I posted, “TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Out of my last 10 posts that actually mattered to me, that one immediately got tons of traction and something like 60 replies, etc. I quit right after that.

Facebook forced me to confront how boring my passion for entrepreneurship really is to normal people… so why waste my time sharing it?

Or their algorithm was just really poor and my posts weren’t being displayed to my friends, either way, what’s the point?

• Richard Nikoley on October 2, 2019 at 11:10

I’m quite enjoying having it out of my life, never to return.

• Bret on October 3, 2019 at 22:55

Dan, you could not have hit the nail squarer on the head. Well said, sir.

Facebook = shit.

6. Chris HIGHCOCK on October 8, 2019 at 13:16

This is where it all started – the blog. People have moved away from blogs distracted by Facebook and its algorithms. Maybe, hopefully Facebook was just a blip and we will all return to the blogs.

Anyway, this is where all your best writing always was.

7. Richard Nikoley on October 8, 2019 at 14:55

There’s no report button here.

There is a close button, though.

Always nice to see Chris Highcock checking in on Richard Nikoley and I’d never take that lightly.