Merry Christmas, Of Course

Have you ever stopped to wonder how it is that the whole world loves Christmas?

Christmas is perhaps the whole world’s first global holiday. Americans may not be aware, but even when I lived in Japan from 1984-89, they had commercialized the delight of it already. Today, here in Thailand? They’ve been playing Christmas songs in their equivalents of Walmart, Target, and Costco since mid November. I want to hate it but it’s rather remarkable and slightly touching. Thai people see that you’re farang and wish you meawy cwismaa. Bless their hearts.

Here you have a 90%+ Buddhist country, which has nothing to do with an afterlife but rather, how you actually live your life here, under the justice of Karma. They have innumerable Buddhist holidays throughout a year, but none are big deals, really. They aren’t commercialized. There’s something to buy, for sure, but to do that, you have to pay a visit to your local temple to show your respects.

Are we over that “Happy Holidays” bullshit, yet?

Wasn’t that ironic? Here you have people celebrating the naissance of the son of their triune Godhead, who’s Jesus Christ, and they’re walking on eggshells and afraid to wish happy birthday—for fear of offending non believers who are nonetheless celebrating it too, as a “festive season.”

How about “Happy Hypocrisy?”

I digress, as usual.

How It’s Going For Kris Kringle In Covid Hysteria Totalitarian Germany…

…I’m often asked, are you going back for the holidays, chez toi? Well, the thing for me is that when I was 23 years old, ensign in the US Navy who’d recently taken up residence in Japan, I did my first Christmas all alone. About 10 of my 60 Christmases in my life have had not a family member in sight. I went to the homes of other families once in Japan, once in France, and while I’m touched and grateful for those invites, they were not with my family with our own ways of doing Christmas.

I’d rather just sit them out alone. It’s OK.

I’ve got two videos for you to enjoy as you secure your own personal downtime during these next few days.

I’ve picked well and the first is not overly political or so much current events, while the 2nd has zero of that. Both are intended for a measure of relax and enjoy.

The Babylon Bee interviews Elon Musk and it’s a lot of smarts and laughs.

The second one just came in this morning and I could not stop watching. Then again, I kinda have aviation in my blood. To frame this, it’s about a photographer of all those pictures of airplanes in flight that make you go wow. He was a still photographer and ten or so years ago, reluctantly started doing video pieces.

You never knew it was he behind the scenes brining it. Had you taken note of what goes into that photography for your wonder, he would have not been doing his job as well as he did it.

May your 2022 be unfucked.

1. Pete C on December 24, 2021 at 12:15

Hi Richard

You know I have followed you for years
    Thanks for your wisdom, humour and being a bastard!!

Merry Christmas (pagan sacrifice)

• Richard Nikoley on December 24, 2021 at 12:37

Whatever floats the boat and chills us out a bit.

Thanks, and merry’s to you and yours as well.

2. Resurgent on December 24, 2021 at 12:45

Merry Christmas Richard,

I hope the 2022 brings more “religiousness” and less “religion”, with these religious holidays..
    The world needs a lot of unfucking..!

Cheers and stay chilled..!

3. george phillips on December 24, 2021 at 19:35

Happy Christmas, Richard !

4. Lawrence Daher on December 24, 2021 at 21:36

Merry Christmas Richard! I have been reading your work for over 10 years and I find your work informative, insightful, and in the end, real. I pray all good will to you and yours.

5. Mark Johnson on December 25, 2021 at 02:59

Merry Christmas!

6. Paul on December 25, 2021 at 14:38

Richard,

Can you imagine lining up in panicked lines miles long wearing masks in 35 degree Celsius temperature on Xmas day to see if you do or do not have covid?

The fucking comedy of needing to line up and be “tested” with an unreliable test to find out if you have something so fucking evil and deadly it is an automatic death sentence …..

Welcome to Xmas day in Australia where triple vaccinated covid zealots are waiting in line all day and demanding more and more tests, better contract tracing, better reporting, more and more booster vaccines, more rules, more passports and exclusions for unvaccinated and more severe restrictions.

Because this madness worked so fabulously for 2 years, we need to repeat it only this time we need to do it harder and more intensely.

Seeing the outrage of the left that has been in control of the narrative and policy for 2 years facing rapid transmission and loss of control is gold.

The abject failure staring them in the face is the most delicious Xmas present I could have asked for.

To see more and more people now dismiss them, question them and or mock them is becoming even more enjoyable.

I am pro vaccine for small pox etc for many obvious and valid scientific reasons and pro choice.

The fucking irony of demanding and enforcing that everyone get “vaccines” which seemingly promote clever and milder mutations that will require more frequent boosters to mitigate these milder mutations ….

Maybe by the end we will be testing and vaccinating and boosting daily and triple masking to stop a runny nose?

Infection spreading widely, wailing and gnashing and stomping escalating and more and more demands.

Terrified people ruining their own Xmas day while demanding everyone else mask up, line up and be locked inside.

You red polled me many years ago with your comments on American democrats.

There is evil staring us right in the face. It is spreading in the form of statism and is taking over the world ….

That is the thing people should be truly terrified of.

Cheers PD

• Richard Nikoley on December 25, 2021 at 16:33

Merry Christmas, Paul.

Thankfully, I’m seeing more and more of us foreigners and Thais too, basically ignoring all the mask shit (outdoors…compliance still high indoors, except bars, restaurants, mom & pop places). Soon, it might be too many for the “police” to care about stopping people out for a nice ride on their motorbikes. The little insanity here is that even though there’s a helmet law and technically everyone is supposed to wear one, it’s little to not enforced at all country wide.

But they will stop you for not having a mask on and ignore that you’re not wearing a helmet.

At this point, literally every person I know knows multiple people who’ve been vaxxed and still got Covid. I know one here with two jabs of AZ that got it and even got sick for some days. Of course, it could have been the flu or a cold, which everyone seems to have forgotten how nasty those can be.

What a world of wankers…

7. Mary Macke on December 26, 2021 at 04:05

Merry Christmas Richard,
    Kindred spirit in melancholy here. I was in my local CVS a couple of days ago witnessing a panic because they were sold out of rapid covid tests. I would only be ‘covid tested’ if I was rolled in to the ER unconscious with no say so over my body. Never would I have believed people would line up for a useless test. I’ve never had a flu test, just called it flu anytime I had fever, aches, cough etc. I’m sad to learn I’ve been living among mostly oxygen thieves. I naively thought most folks were like me, skeptical rebels and doubt the government types. May we all find a place among like minded in the new year.
    Mary

• Richard Nikoley on December 26, 2021 at 06:46

Back atcha.

I tell everyone around here, do what you want about everything else, vax, no vax, whatever, but AVOID THE TEST.

If it’s an official one like for travel and not a home kit, a positive gets you involuntary hospital quarantine for 10 days, no matter how asymptomatic of how good you feel. At your own expense, which I’ve been hearing runs $3-6K. That’s why I sit tight and do nothing that would require it. If I had no choice, I’d pop for the Covid insurance they have on offer. Up to about $6k costs, $150 for a year of coverage.

8. Mary Macke on December 26, 2021 at 07:30

I’m just too much of a brat to parcipate on any level. No tests, no vax, no acknowledgment of a ‘pandemic’. No air travel nor border crossings for me. I would have gladly rented 1 of your Cabo places yet for the ‘test, quartine, test, mask, test’ fraud. I called foul in April, 2020. In May of 2020 I atteneded a rally at the Sacramento Capital, barely anyone masked and all of us shoulder to shoulder. I would have bet there was no way come 12/2021 this shit would be going on.
    Then I saw grown men (?) outside in masks. Heart broken…
    Anyone taking the test unless sick enough to be hospitialized have revealed themselves to be one of ‘them’. No ‘work, school, blah, blah, blah excuse. NO MERCY NO QUARTER. Important point you made was that this ‘virus’ didn’t take out 90% of the low IQ beings.

• Richard Nikoley on December 26, 2021 at 08:09

The exact quote is:

“Covid didn’t live up to its promises.”

Ironically, that may have been what was hoped for by whatever and whomever this “global cabal” is who apparently have been “planning” this since the 1960s (I don’t fall for any of that tin-hat nonsense either…it’s just the ideologically aligned). If it’s an engineered virus, it only culled those past due date, largely. Bigger score with the vax, as that’s now finally killing young people, but in numbers that are miniscule, though magnitudes above normal.

It’s rather like all despotic regimes throughout history. They never ever understand humanity and they always underestimate human biological resilience.

For all the VAERS reports, there are also reports of people getting vaxxed many times in order to secure the passport. I read one this morning of a guy in Belgium who got arrested after his ninth jab.

All relevant facts must always be integrated. We’ll see, but it appears that at least so far, the vax has little to no adverse effect on most. I can live with that, but it’s still up to you. And that’s an uncompromisable position.

I had the standard “bread & butter” vaccinations as a kid, then no others. No, no annual flu shot joke. It’s probably wise to get a tetanus booster at the recommended intervals if your work puts you at risk of exposure. I might consider the vax for shingles. It’s a bitch.

These are personal decisions and must always remain so.

9. Mary Macke on December 26, 2021 at 08:38

I also had the basic jabs including the tetanus booster, though now I don’t know why. I no longer believe anything traditional medicine nor government told me. Though aren’t they one and the same? FDA approval equals business deal. Food Pyramid being garbage all along. Sugar lobby versus fat. And so on, as we all now learn…lies for decades.
    But hey, let us toast to those of us who are aligned in the doubt and questioning of it all.

• Paul on December 26, 2021 at 18:39

Hi Mary and Richard,

I work in data science and live and breathe data and statistics everyday. There is actually a lot of good hearted caring and dedicated people working in public health policy across the full spectrum of medicine and nutrition. When I get motivated and dig deep and actually read the scientific journals informing public decision making, i see peer debate, breadth and depth of clear and well thought out research considerations, transparency and clear outlines of the research limitations and the associated context,

The starting point is often quite balanced and reasonable and generally well informed by data. The problem is that by the time it reaches the general public it gets fucked up, convoluted, corrupted and political and we all end up losing.

The conclusion I came to is that whatever our governments touch and take over and try to advocate seems to inevitably end up a fucking disaster in some way. From that basis, I realised for me that less government interference (as opposed to take or leave health advice) and control of my decisions the better off I will be.

I personally worry when people eschew all medical and mainstream advice on the basis of conspiracy/big pharma as much as people embracing it all as if it is the Old Testament 10 commandments.

My problem is that government over reach removes my choice, and the terror for me is seeing how fear can be so easily used by governments and media to cause people to willingly give up these freedoms.

I see many supposedly bright well read and well educated people linking arms to now demand we give up more and more freedoms.

There is an ideological battle going on for the hearts and minds of our fellow human beings. To me, the battle is for freedom of ichoice, my body and my choice, and freedom of freedom of movement.

Covid is many things to many people, but to me it has become a disease of the heart and a disease of the mind. A virus of the very worst kind. One that has seemingly infected us all.

I have never been less fearful of a virus and more fearful of my government. The liberties I took for granted are being willingly and “virtuously” handed over to a bloated corrupt beauracracy that remains incompetent to the nth degree.

The worst kind of “parent”, peddling fear and terror, encouraging total dependence, demanding servitude and punishing non compliance all the while failing in every way to deliver.

Sigh,

Take care both.

Pd

Happy for people to triple mask, booster daily, wail and gnash, but when they also demand I do the same, and enforce this by law, they can just plain fuck off.

At the cornerstone of this to me is liberty. To right to think and feel and act around covid in the way I can see is best for myself and the preservation of my family’s wellbeing.