Are You Worse Off With The Internet?

I tried something new today.

For a couple of days I’ve been thinking about that theme. On the large, of course we’re better off with the Internet, but it’s not the right tool for the job for everything. Sometimes, you really do need to put down the damn phone, look people in the eye, and talk to them.

I’m often finding myself missing the old days, wondering how I possibly got by without being ONLINE!!!

How about you?

Do you ever lament those days when you’d take out your stationery and carefully craft a handwritten letter to post to a friend or loved one far away? There’s a magic that modern Internet messaging largely obliterated, but replaced with crap.

Email was good enough. And I still prefer it to everything else.

So there’s two distinct things where the Internet has made us worse off, in my view. Messaging is the first, and lousy customer service, the second. What’s the best thing about the Internet? Online banking.

What I did new was to record two videos, but I live streamed them from my phone so that once finished, they were automatically published. Super easy and saves a lot of steps.

This first one covers the morass of issues with ubiquitous smartphones and messaging apps.

In the 2nd one, I cover the disaster the Internet has made of customer service.

Yes, I have issues to contend with in terms of the screen clips.

First time.

1. Peter Collins on July 21, 2022 at 13:03

Writing is powerful, i still write notes & use paper diary for my business, I write goals down.
    Writing imprints an experience into your mind & psych, your written words can motivate you & at the same time, if you write non truths, your conscience & soul will punish you, there is no escaping the torment of lying to people in writing.

It’s easy to bypass responsibility to others & yourself, its easy to justify bullshitting to those around you, when you tap phones & keyboards. it makes you weak, soulless & a pathetic leech to others around you.

on the flip side, for being efficient in business & information gathering, technology can be a great tool.

Great question to pose Richard, got me thinking, thats what you do, so thank you.
    Pete

• Raymond Raupers Jr on July 22, 2022 at 01:59

Hello Peter Collins,

Loved reading your reference to conscience and soul.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
      Love is the Law, Love under Will.

2. Raymond Raupers Jr on July 22, 2022 at 01:56

Am I worse off with the internet? Short answer NO. Yet even with my simple living best practices implemented, the writhing tentacles of 5G surveillance and the death cult black priest class agenda(s) get me up on my hind legs. But then even when that happens, I’m at my farm, no cell, no landline, no internet, which means I’m blessed to have put myself in position to dictate not debate. Just now I’ve realized a blessing of grimace returning to my face which I’ve missed for literally years now. Ahh the grimace of composed misanthropy, the clarity within true will, and hatred of ignorance and cowardice. Thank you Richard for stirring the embers of a fire that has never burned out within me.

One point about your nod to banking online service. I have only one credit card and my wife shares the account so she has the same only card. The account is paid in full at the end of each month cycle. This account has been managed as such for as long as I can remember. I can’t remember ever paying interest. The account has zero liability for fraud as benefit for so many years in perfect standing. Having said all that I still have only one way to pay the account and that is to call the number on the back of the card and follow the recorded prompts through the payment process. I can no longer log into my account online. The reason being that we refuse to own a smartphone or android device and so the bank system requirements of “identifying” deliberately bar us from online service. The system used to send me an email that I could respond to with code provided by the bank. They have removed the email option entirely, but they offer a “text”, which of course requires android device or smartphone. Fuck ’em,I ain’t got one. In the words of Unknown Hinson, “And I ain’t never ever gonna will! I use the card only to pay my out of state property taxes, car insurance/registration, and the few online orders I make for antique tractor parts etc unavailable locally. That’s the way it’s gonna stay.

Have you read the “surveillance data” fine print in these constantly revised account “services” agreements? It’s right in your face reaching for your throat. Hell beyond that, remember the scam-COVID handouts people were salivating after? We got the first check unsolicited, autofed to us by snail mail. I bought me a new rifle with that check. The popular checks to follow avoided us as we don’t file tax returns. We also refuse to collect socialism security checks. My recent socialism security marketing statement revealed more than ten years of zero income. Next scam-COVID handout attempt, the gov’t (slavery) hired a company to contact me and ask a few questions that confirmed no income and no tax returns filed (for at least ten years). The company said we were due $4,000 as a tax-credit claim (despite zero income), and said they were going to advise the IRS to make payment.

Finally (and promptly), the IRS contacted me by mail, and said all I had to do was to online register/confirm the data which would effectively file a tax return built by data provided by the company they hired. The process requirement specifically hinged upon identifying myself with smartphone or android device, and a simple mouse click to accept their request to auto-file the tax return they created. The incentive offered to me was $4,000 (of someone else’s money, or debt creation to enslave the working poor).

Fuck em, I didn’t file a tax return and I ain’t never ever gonna will! I ain’t got no smarty phone and…well you get me by now. The only reason I strung them along was to see the fine print, and it was ugly. The 5G slave agenda is the same all over, from NYSEG “green” energy offers, to internet service offers from Spectrum. The free money offers to accept slavery never stop coming. I Do Not Consent.

Thanks for the rant Richard. Misanthropy remains rational.

• Richard Nikoley on July 22, 2022 at 17:54

Raymond,

Hey I just replied to your email from the other day. I found the archive of S&S issues from way back then. It’s digital right on the web. Costs, but not much. Day pass is like 5 bucks. Good luck.

As to the phone issue, you can still get old-style flip phones or prepaid that have SMS texting, so you can get a code sent to you.

• Raymond Raupers Jr on July 27, 2022 at 00:17

Richard,

Thanks for the S&S info (sent you an email). Thanks also for the old-style flip phone info. I think I might have one in a drawer that I used when I lived in Phoenix, AZ. I’ve always hated cell phones even when I owned one of the analog Motorola flip back around 1996. I was on call as a broker 24/7 and grew to hate talking on them. After I quit the business (just before the tech bubble burst) I avoided phones altogether. The cell phone culture disgusts me entirely. But then so much of human cult-ure does. My daughter quit buying cell service but would probably set up a flip-phone or prepaid for my wife and I can stay just as curmudgeonly as I am now. Ya know I just remembered when I read an ebay sale listing where someone was paying big bucks for the antique Motorola model that I threw in the garbage can mint condition. That makes me smile. This is a very good day! Thank you!

3. Christina M. on July 24, 2022 at 09:04

We live in a rural part of the US, so the internet has been very good to us. Need a replacement part? Done. In a matter of seconds.
    Social media or instant messaging? Hell no. Write a letter or call us.
    Waiting on a peening jig for my scythe as we speak.
    And yes, I sent a donation for your business project, which should make me a “good person.”
    -a fellow third culture, German-American asshole, Christina

4. Richard Nikoley on July 24, 2022 at 09:10

“Waiting on a peening jig for my scythe as we speak.”

Sounds grim. 😉

• Christina M. on July 24, 2022 at 09:35

🤣

5. Raymond Raupers Jr on July 27, 2022 at 00:26

Yesterday’s Tractors site has been so necessary at times. I’ve bought new 10×28 rim, fuel tank bowl assembly, even manuals for my 1948 Case VAC at bargain prices. Also got a schematic from an engineer in the forum to finish the 6V to 12V conversion. I really enjoy working with sites that keep this old equipment rolling. I give it anarchist 5 stars rating.

• Richard Nikoley on July 27, 2022 at 08:27

That’s a fantastic resource. Made me think of episodes of a TV series called “American Pickers,” where a couple of guys with a van scour rural countrysides for old dudes with barns and decades of stuff stored in them. They go through them and find treasures for which they tender offers to buy.