How About Daily Short Videos?

I both love and hate them. But I’m liking them more. For one, I see many YouTube creators with a shit ton of followers who do zero editing. No flashy stuff. It’s just get on and do the thing, publish easy. Usually, you don’t even need to thread two files together in an editor or cut a thing, so it’s just published direct from a single whole file.

So I did one yesterday sitting in front of my workstation.

It’s weird for me because I can have only one idea or theme with no idea of how I can talk about it for 10-15 minutes but once I press record, I lose all sense of everything, I ramble on, and I end up having to cut so it’s not too long.

I’m wondering about location. Sitting in front of my workstation all the time might get boring—though some creators have the same setup every time. I have the option of doing them from anywhere in my house or the back patio sitting on the stairs. I could do location at the pool.

So this is what I did in about 16 minutes yesterday. I cover:

• My vision
  • My mom’s vision
  • My mom’s unique non-judgmental character
  • Covid a bit
  • Locks on stuff
  • What if you were God for an hour
  • And more

1. Brent Nelson on July 5, 2022 at 19:15

Hey Richard, I started following you back in the paleo days and have enjoyed your writing. I live in rural rocky mountains where internet is not the best videos are always buffering. So if I have a vote I would vote for the written word. Thanks appreciate your work.

• Richard Nikoley on July 6, 2022 at 02:35

Hey Brent,

Thanks for following. Sorry to hear about the mountainous Internet woes. I lived in the Sierras and luckily had no such problems. Internet can be lousy a lot of places in the US. Here in Thailand I’ve never had bad…even out in the rice paddies. It’s fiber, screams, and costs about $15 per month.

Mainly, the vid content will be for stuff I’m not typically going to write about anyway. So, it’s mostly added content.

2. Alan Andersen on July 6, 2022 at 02:01

Nice haircut. I don’t do videos but I love audio. Big into podcasts. Because I don’t have time to sit and look at a vid, but I can play audio while I cook, do the dishes, work in the yard, and walk. So videos are fine as long as I can listen to just the audio. The problem with YouTube is that unless I buy the premium package, the YouTube vid and audio will turn off if I do anything else with my phone, like check the weather or my texts. And leaving my phone exclusively on YouTube with video running wears down my battery fast. Rumble and Odeysee don’t have this issue, but I get it that Youtube is the best for monetization. I could probably just go to your website via Chrome and play the video from Chrome, in which case I can listen to the audio even if I do something else on my phone. Or you could also post an audio feed only on your website along with the vid. Or even set the audio up as a podcast that can be accessed from Apple or other podcast feeds. But again, the only real monetization option is YouTube.

• Richard Nikoley on July 6, 2022 at 02:54

Yea, I’m mostly the opposite as so much stuff has gone to video. I used to listen to podcasts in the car (Jimmy Moore, mostly).

At any rate, it’s most about more options for content, a little bit at a time. I’ll look into any automated ways to get an audio-only for the

It’s an uphill to get to monetization, though. Requires 1,000+ subscribers, which I have (1,069 as of now), but also 4,000 watch hours and I’m about at 1,100. So, it’s going to require frequent videos to cover get to that, too many to write a post about for each one. So, I’ll be doing roundup posts with several at a time.

3. Matt Miller on July 7, 2022 at 21:15

Have you thought of doing interviews, at least on occasion?

Not that we need another interview-style video podcast. But it seems like you have access to some interesting people that you could bring on. And I’m sure that you’d take the discussion in unexpected directions, not seen in other interviews.

Also: Given that your goal is monetization, how are you going to avoid getting banned? Will you restrict your videos to certain topics?

Or maybe post some uncensored stuff on a different platform?

• Richard Nikoley on July 7, 2022 at 22:37

Looking into all that, Matt. Difficult to do interviews. I know many folks and you’d recognize the names. Not a single one will commit to an interview.

You can guess why.

Discussions, like with Russell Hantz which I think is perfect, are easier. Has to be a fearless person, though.

In terms of monetization, we’ll see. Paul Joseph Watson seems to just have certain videos demonetized. They haven’t outright banned him yet. Same with others I am aware of.