57 Ways To Get Your Coconut Fat

Alright, so that’s just a harmless poke at all my able blogging colleagues who seem to always find no more, and no less, than "10 Ways to [fill in the blank]". Kinda cracks me up, but there you have it. So I’m not coming up with 57. In fact, I have no idea how many ways there are. I’ll just give you my favorites, and readers are welcome and encouraged to drop their favorites in comments.

Of course, this is on the heels of my post the other day on Alzheimer’s and MCT oil, of which that constitutes about 65% of coconut oil.

But first, what’s my favorite coconut oil? Well, I’ve tried a few and up to a while ago, it was Artisana, which I get at Whole Foods. It is truly very good, and their coconut butter is, as Keith Norris often reminds us, crack. My wife loves it so much she made a special trip to resupply, the other day.

Some moths back, the founder and CEO of Nutiva emailed me, offering to give me some product free to check out. Well, as chance had it, I was on the way to Whole Foods anyway, and got a tub of his coconut oil.

Nutiva

Just to be safe, I bought a jar of Artisana as well. They are very, very close, but I have to give the edge to Nutiva. Just a bit. Alright, so here are the ways I find to get coconut fat from the oil, butter, and canned coconut milk/cream into my diet.

• By the spoonful, straight up.
  • Same for coconut butter.
  • Coconut butter on celery
  • Coconut butter on lettuce.
  • Coconut oil in a smoothie of any sort, 1 tbsp per serving.
  • Coconut butter in a smoothie of any sort, 1 tbsp per serving.
  • Coconut milk in a smoothie of any sort, 1/3 – 1/2 cup per serving.
  • Eggs fried in coconut oil, scrambled, over, up, or omelets.
  • Fish fried in coconut oil.
  • Fish poached in coconut milk.
  • Chicken fried in coconut oil.
  • Shellfish fried in coconut oil.
  • Fried, grilled, or broiled shellfish dipped in hot coconut oil (like with drawn butter).
  • Coconut milk curries and sauces.

Anyone else?

1. Shmaltzy on August 13, 2009 at 21:14

Here’s my favourite way of getting my coconut fat:

Mmmmm……Chocolate!

2. Aaron Blaisdell on August 13, 2009 at 15:07

I’ve been using Whole Foods 365 brand for all of my frying needs. I’ll have to give these other two a try. I’ve been using coconut milk in all of my curries. Per your suggestion, even if the recipe calls for water I use an equal amount of coconut milk instead. Best curries I’ve ever had! I love taking left overs to work the next day and scooping out the meat, veggie, and the solid white coconut fat in heaping teaspoons!

3. John Speno on August 13, 2009 at 16:04

I sometimes put a spoon full of coconut cream in my coffee or tea.

4. Lute Nikoley on August 13, 2009 at 16:06

Can you get the same fat by just simply eating chunks of coconut?

• Matt on August 13, 2009 at 16:26

Nothing wrong with eating coconut, there’s not much to it but fat! I buy shredded unsweetened coconut and add it to salads.

• Lute Nikoley on August 13, 2009 at 16:29

Thanks Matt, I thought that might be the case. I just don’t like eggs that have a taste of coconut, I like doing eggs in bacon fat.

• Matt on August 14, 2009 at 05:49

I never do eggs in coconut I agree. Bacon fat if I have it, butter + olive oil if I don’t, and then a pat or two of kerrygold irish butter on top for me 🙂

• Aaron Blaisdell on August 14, 2009 at 06:36

Try cooking your eggs in ghee. My scrambled eggs are truly marvelous—fluffy and delicious–now that I use ghee.

5. Scott Miller on August 13, 2009 at 16:43

Easily my favorite way is to take a piece of dark chocolate, and use it to scoop up a teaspoon-sized lump of coconut oil, and eat it us. I’ve turned dozens of people onto this, and they all rave about it.

For the last year, I’ve mixed whey protein powder into my coconut oil (after melting it in the nuker) at a ratio of about 60/40 (oil/whey), and then let it harden. I then use this to scoop onto my dark chocolate. Adding the whey insures that I’m getting adequate protein as part of the snack. Vanilla whey powder works really well, I’ve found.

• Matt on August 14, 2009 at 05:50

That is a seriously great idea. To me coconut oil is tasteless but I think this would enhance the flavor of both.

• pieter d on August 14, 2009 at 07:33

This is also one of my favs! Take dark chocolate (86% Cote d’Or), coconut oil and even put one or a few nuts on top!

Hey, I’m from Belgium, what do you want? Belgium chocolates, the best in the world… and now you have a kind of paleo ‘praline’ of your own.

By the way, substitute coconut oil for good butter, and the results will be the same: great!

6. Mark on August 13, 2009 at 18:27

I put about a tbsp of coco oil in my coffee or tea with meals.

Coconut oil is good in homemade nutbutter – I add some melted to almonds I grind up in the food processor.

Artisana Coconut butter mixed with cacao nibs is good alone, mixed with nuts, or on celery.

We put some oil on our fish before baking and I often poach with coconut milk.

7. Methuselah - Pay Now Live Later on August 13, 2009 at 23:01

Creamed coconut with cocoa powder and dried fruit to make chocolates (my recipe here).

Coconut milk/cream with egg to make a custardy breakfast with fruit (my recipe here.)

Just eating creamed coconut by the chunk like white chocolate!

8. pieter d on August 13, 2009 at 23:28

great easy recipe:

one cup of coconut milk
    one tablespoon of coconut oil
    two cups of nuts (any kind)
    some unsweetened shredded coconut meat
    some cocoa powder, to taste
    if needed, some sweetener: I use a tiny bit of dried fruit (fig, dade, raisins)

all this in the food processor

taste great, and if you put it in the fridge for a while, it will get a bit harder.

great for people just started eating paleo/primal, because it tastes just like a cheat, but it isn’t (if you go easy on the dried fruit).

• Methuselah - Pay Now Live Later on August 14, 2009 at 06:25

…or use fresh fruit and it’s not a cheat at all!

• pieter d on August 14, 2009 at 07:26

I’ll have to try this.

I never thought of using fresh fruit, because the ingredients of my ‘recipe’, once mixed in the foodprocessor, stay good for a few days, without changing color and taste.

Fresh fruit will probably give me the excuse the eat it all right away 🙂

9. Chris - ZTF on August 14, 2009 at 01:16

If you manage to find a good source of coconut flakes which are unsweetened they can be really cheap and versatile. I like throwing a big handful over a bowl of fresh blueberries along with a sprinkle of sunflower seeds. Makes for a delicious paleo treat. Also I stick a small spoon of coconut oil in my black coffee most mornings adds a nice subtle flavour….

• Judy on August 14, 2009 at 03:57

Sounds crazy, but I use coconut oil for a skin moisturizer. My Mary Kay lady can’t figure out why I haven’t ordered face moisturizer in such a long time. I love the smell, it goes on easy, it’s much cheaper, and feels better than lotions. It also helps soothe sunburn. I also cook eggs, vegies, and sauces with it. What a versatile jar of goodness!

• Aaron Blaisdell on August 14, 2009 at 06:40

Not crazy at all. In fact, whenever I cook with coconut oil or ghee I inevitably get some on my hands. Instead of washing my hands with soap like I used to, I just rub my hands together all over to rub the oil into the skin. Get’s rid of dish-pan hands! (yes and I agree that the coconut oil smells wonderful rubbed on skin.)

10. Leniza on August 14, 2009 at 05:26

For those who eat dairy it’s fantastic in yogurt.

11. Dean on August 14, 2009 at 06:43

I agree on the Nutiva, my favorite brand. I like that it comes in a giant sized container too! I use it in several protein bar recipes that I’ve found out there but I’m really liking some of what the above posters have been doing with their CO. I’ll have to give some of those a try

12. -Brandon on August 14, 2009 at 07:15

Coconut oil on a baked sweet potato if you aren’t too worried about the starch/carbs.

Coconut oil and coconut milk goes great w/ a shrimp/curry stir fry.

13. Jennifer on August 14, 2009 at 07:15

coconut milk ice cream; coconut milk yogurt; coconut milk creme brulee (or any other kind of pudding/custard); coconut milk in lattes… then do some double duty using coconut flour, coconut milk, and coconut oil to make pancakes or a quick bread.

my favorite is the coconut butter from wilderness family naturals – straight off the spoon.

14. Rachel on August 14, 2009 at 08:04

What about all over steamed/grilled veggies? I love grilled eggplant that’s had a coconut oil rubdown 🙂

15. Julie on August 14, 2009 at 08:45

Great ideas! I use CO in my coffee and when frying. I’ve also used coconut flour in pancakes. I really need to try coconut butter and creamed coconut! For those who don’t like the coconut flavor in cooking, you can buy expeller-pressed CO, which doesn’t smell or taste like coconut (bought some at Whole Foods- Jarrow brand). For general CO stuff, I use Nutiva.

16. Erica @realfood2health on August 14, 2009 at 09:16

Coconut pancakes cooked in coconut oil is just yummy. Nutiva is fantastic – the main oil I use for cooking. No vegetable oil junk! Tropical Traditions is very good as well, but more expensive. Coconut goes really well with ginger too. This is all making me hungry and I’m fasting now LOL.

17. Michael Bender on August 14, 2009 at 09:48

For those looking for another high-quality source for coconut products – Tropical Traditions has a Gold Label that is really good, totally organic, and made the traditional way, using the coconut water instead of tap/well/rain water to separate out the oil.

They also sell what they call “coconut cream concentrate” which is the closest thing to culinary heaven on this earth that I have experienced. It is 70% coconut oil and 30% ground coconut solids – basically they crack open a coconut, drain the water, grind whatever is left and put it in a jar. It is DECADENT. All of the previous posts and ideas and uses would be even better using this product….but I just use a fork 😉 Just to be sure everyone is clear – this one is a food product, not an oil, and can’t be used for cooking.

Give it a shot – you won’t be sorry.

18. Dave, RN on August 14, 2009 at 11:07

Here’s recipe:
    4 OZ of 100% cacao
    7 OZ of coconut milk
    1 teaspoon of vanilla
    2 tablespoon of coconut oil
    1 scoop of your favotite protien poweder (I use chocolate that’s sweetened with stevia)
    2 teaspoons of stevia

Melt it all together and stir it up good.

pour in a 9×9 pan, then refridgerate

After it hardens, you’ll have high protein chocolate with no sugar. Just think of all those antioxidants in the cacao and the fatty acids in the coconut milk/oil! Be careful though, it’s still somewhat bitter (the way I like it) and if you don’t keep it refridgerated it’ll be melty after a while.

19. Kim Birch on August 14, 2009 at 12:12

I use coconut milk in my protein smoothies, almost every week day. On weekends I cook. 😉

20. warren on August 15, 2009 at 09:46

1 can of coconut milk
    2 cups frozen pinapple
    1 tsp vanilla
    pinch salt
    stevia if you want
    puree and put in the freezer
    stir with a fork or whisk every 5 min untill it reaches a gelatto-like consistency.
    serve in martini glasses

21. Conrad on August 15, 2009 at 12:57

I personally thought that Nutiva was comparable to the cheaper brands that I’ve been buying like Orphee, which cost $10 Canadian per 500ml. The Artisana ($16/500ml) is in a whole new league for me. It’s richer and creamier, and the texture is a little different. I am eager to try the $30/500ml brands.
    Is anyone concerned about coconut oils packaged in plastic containers? That is one reason I’ve been choosing Orphee over Nutiva, because Orphee comes in glass.

22. Mamatha on August 17, 2009 at 09:15

Hi Richard,
    Thank you for this wonderful and informative blog. An excellent post, this. Another way you can get your coconut fat is to sprinkle grated coconut flakes in stir-fries. Most of my Indian-style veggie stir-fries have coconut flakes added to them and the taste and mouth-feel is amazing! Coconut milk-based Thai soups can be made in a jiffy if you have the curry pastes ready, I personally like the “Thai Kitchen” brand as they don’t have any suspect ingredients.

Best wishes,
    Mamatha

23. Tin Tin on May 29, 2010 at 14:28

And of course, now you can buy coconut water in a can! It’s not as bad as you think.

24. Ed T on July 7, 2010 at 07:00

I use coconut oil in my egg omelettes. I use a mixer to emulsify the coconut oil into the egg yolk. One of my omelettes has 32g protein and 70g fat. Occassionally, I’ll put coconut chips into my omelette too.

I but coconut oil online from WFN by the gallon ($45).