The Things Kids Say

fuck vegetables
F**k Vegetables

You know what? Every time I’m just satisfied eating meat and shun all else, I have to wonder what sort of conditioning I’ve succumbed to.

After all, I once believed in Santa Claus with all my heart. Then I graduated to the adult version.

Free of both, now. …And eating lots of meat.

1. Syz on November 15, 2010 at 23:54

For your further amusement: this Language Log post tracks down the likely origins of the language in this sign (the first character, 干, can mean “dry” or “fuck”). Unfortunately it’s a boring machine translation error rather than some sort of Chinese prescience about the non-necessity of vegetables.

2. Mallory on November 16, 2010 at 09:22

hahahahahahhahaha WHERE did you find this?!?!

not to hate on veggies…but i tried one of reduction sauce type things last night with a sirloin roast and it was amazing with my beef :). oh, it was a tarragon one… i think it was from like a year ago haha

3. Gabe on November 16, 2010 at 12:55

That is great. I will say this, though – people seem to think that if you eat a lot of meat that it somehow has to come at the expense of vegetables (and all the T. Colin Campbell disciples sniffling about their “plant-based diets” aren’t helping). I still can’t believe how many people are shocked to learn that I eat more vegetables than the average vegetarian, just because I also happen to eat steaks and pork chops for breakfast on a regular basis.

As Mark Sisson notes:

“Where do you get your fiber?” “I get it from vegetables, of all things.”

4. D on November 16, 2010 at 15:14

Ive been down on vegetables lately and done something most of the paleo and low carb community is against… eating more fruit.

Reading on how bad nightshades are for us, the info on the anti nutrients in a lot of plants and the basic fact that we really don’t seem to grow up really liking or wanting vegetables.

We grow up loving fruit and fruit wants us to eat it. I have been doing good on Paleo for quite awhile, but could not lose the last 8 or so lbs. I decided to snack lightly on fruit during the day and then have a big piece of meat or fish for dinner. I feel amazing and the weight came off!!

I also think that the hunter gatherers most probably hunted and gathered during the day and did not stop to eat much.

Anyway, not eating meat during the daytime and bringing the fruit back has been amazing for me. Maybe it is different because I am a woman, but Im sticking with it!

5. Dave on November 16, 2010 at 15:34

Just curious here, but what is your blood type? I eat the same way. O+

6. D on November 16, 2010 at 15:55

If you’re asking me, I am an A.

I originally started eating this way after reading The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler. I would just try to eat pretty much nothing or a teeny bit during the day and then have a huge dinner. I don’t know why I got away from that because I did so well on it.

My ideal weight is 105 and I got to it eating this way, which I could not eating even zero carb and and smaller amounts.

7. Gabe on November 16, 2010 at 17:29

Interesting…D, what are some of the readings you would recommend concerning nightshades? I know that for those who are susceptible to autoimmune issues they are not recommended but bell peppers seem to have a lot going for them nutritionally. I’ve cut tomatoes back to once or twice a week and eggplant once in a while (because it’s so good off the grill) but I wonder if I should take a harder line on nightshades.

• D on November 17, 2010 at 07:33

Peppers and tomatoes are my favorite things. I just brought up the fact of nightshades because its part of the evidence that maybe vegetables are not as great as we think. Isn’t paleo about what we have evolved to eat?

I don’t see indigenous tribes munching down on big salads, and it is very hard to get a child to eat anything green. It just makes me wonder… plus, those fruity fruititarians would probably not look so bad if they just included some meat once a day or every other day. They look a lot healthier than most of the regular old vegans.

Things with seeds want you to eat it to propagate. Grains, we know but leaf plants even onions don’t really want to be eaten either and maybe we are not supposed to. Don’t you cut out dark leafy greens when you get gout?

8. Michael on November 16, 2010 at 20:11

I am eating eggplant-onion-garlic-tomato-kale-yam-coconut-beef stew, and purely from the beautiful tasting meld of it all, I wouldn’t want it any other way.

9. Aaron Curl on November 17, 2010 at 04:11

I typically eat 10-15 pounds of meat a week and about 5-7 pounds of veggies a week. I did a little experiment a while ago where I ate a shit ton of veggies and smaller amounts of meat for 2 weeks. It was horrible! I was drained and tired for the entire time. So, yah F_ _ K VEGETABLES. No, I like them, I just like meat better.

10. James Crohn on November 26, 2010 at 10:37

Definitely I prefer meat than vegetables, but I also eat them. However I think I should include more vegetables on my meals…

11. Huaizhou on November 26, 2011 at 03:46