Eat Well, Eat Real: Friday Food Pics

I have a number of unpublished food pics, most from home cooked meals, but some from restaurants. I think I’ll just put them out there today and a 2nd set over the weekend. Let’s begin with the very last meal, breakfast this morning after a 26 hour fast, breakfast to breakfast, which is the toughest interval in my book. You can click the images for the hi-resolution versions.

IMG 0614
Hick’ry Pit: Chili Verde Omelet & Half Portion Hash Browns
IMG 0613
Mom’s Oktoberfest Meal: Rouladen, Mashed Taters, Red Cabbage, Sauerkraut & Green Beens
brats
Oktoberfest: Grilling the Brats
Oktoberfest Spread
Oktoberfest Spread
Palacio Restaurant: Seafood Omelet
Thea Mediterranean: Bacon Wrapped Dates
Homemade Corned Beef Hash & Eggs
Grassfed Burgers with Bacon & Melted Camembert Cheese
IMG 0355
Thai Green Curry with Fish; Sir Fried Crunchy Veggies with Olives
P1020463
Enormous Beef Ribeye Steaks with Potatoes and Red Wine Reduction

OK, that’s ten of ’em, and I’ve got another batch that I’ll put up next time.

Eat well folks.

1. Debbie on October 21, 2011 at 14:43

Thanks Richard! I posted this on FB. Let’s see how many vegans I can get to unfriend me. 🙂

2. Nick on October 21, 2011 at 14:46

I’m gonna have to try the chile verde omelet next time I’m at the Pit. That looks delicious.

• Richard Nikoley on October 21, 2011 at 15:00

It is, Nick. About my favorite breakfast there, and one of the very few places I’ll sometimes take a half order of hash browns. They don’t taste the slightest bit rancid, as so many places do. They take it real easy on the cooking oil. The other breakfast that’s great is their extra hefty portion of smoked ham with eggs. I think it’s like 12 oz or something.

The other thing I like about the Pit is that they will sub a fruit cup for the bread, no extra charge.

3. Griff on October 21, 2011 at 16:42

The Rouladen and Red Cabbage make my mouth water (as does the rest of images). If you are ever in Annapolis, MD and enjoy German food, be sure to hit Regina’s in West Annapolis. Really great food and a friendly mom and pop atmosphere.

• Richard Nikoley on October 21, 2011 at 16:46

My dad is a German immigrant and I grew up eating his mom’s various German delights.

• Griff on October 22, 2011 at 17:33

My mom and grandmother both came over after WWII. One of the things that drew me to primal was growing up and eating meat and gravy almost every night with some good veggies and feeling great. Then going to college, eating crap and even doing a stint as a lacto ovo vegetarian and feeling like crap. Found low glycemic level diets, felt better, then found paleo and Weston Price and now I feel great again. I love good German food (though I admit I was a bit cabbage averse as a kid…what a disappointment I must have been to my parents).

4. Ned on October 21, 2011 at 18:15

Completely off topic Richard, but I know you used to be religious once. After losing your religion did you ever suffer from existential depression, and if so how did you deal with it?

• Richard Nikoley on October 21, 2011 at 18:30

Let me make it plain and brutal, Ned, and thanks for asking.

I was reading a book while in a rather depressed state of mind after a broken engagement and breakup, while living in France. This was this time of year, October, 1990, 21 years ago. I was reading a mail order book of all things which I thought was about entrepreneuism, how to make money, but was actually about how to think, and how to dump guilt & shame and fear and authority — all themes I hold to to this day.

I remember it like it was yesterday, but laying there on the couch, I just naturally realized I had no fear anymore, and once that happened, I lifted my middle finger to the heavens and have never looked back for a single second. Best thing I ever did in terms of rooting out automatic “thinking.” I highly recommend it.

Let me ask anyone this: if you don’t believe and supplicate out of some sort of feeling of fear, then why? If you have a great reason to believe that has nothing to do with fear of what happens if you don’t then fine. For me, I felt it made me stupid, and fear of hellfire was the only thing. Once I lost that, it was all over.

The mail order book was “The Neo-Tech Discovery.” it’s a bit goofy and hype, but it got me started. You can probably Google for what it’s all about if so inclined. You can get used copies on Amazon for cheap.

5. Peggy The Primal Parent on October 21, 2011 at 20:16

Damn! I just had sashimi for dinner. Makes me drool, but then I know you don’t eat like this every day. 😉

6. Karen on March 4, 2012 at 11:15

OMG. I could cry.
    I have NEVER in all my days witnessed anyone else knowing what a rouladen is!!!
    I grew up eating my mom’s rouladen. She used to put onion, pickle and bacon inside of hers.
    Her red cabbage is out of this world, too.
    My parents and siblings were all born over in Germany and most of my relatives and ancestors are from there.
    I’m 1st generation Canadian.
    Good eating! 🙂