There Is No One Perfect Human Microbiome. Or Human Diet. Or Social System. Some Are Better For Some Things Some Times.

I’ll be flying down to Cabo tomorrow morning, again. Staying in “Casa Corazon” in Los Zacatitos, about 8 miles east of San Jose Del Cabo. Beatrice will fly in Saturday. We’re looking to rent the place for about six months.

Before I go head-down in preparations, let me leave you with a few things to ponder, given my last two posts: here, and here.

• There’s way more to chew on now than macronutrients. To state it another way, I’m kinda beyond the dietary wars. I’m also kinda beyond waring in general when the whole of any person is more important that anyone’s assessment of how right or wrong they are on some fine point.
  • New science is demonstrating that while the human gut microbiome is of vast importance, it does not look like there are silver bullets any time soon in our future (why my approach is shotgun rather than boutique). See here, and here.
  • One thing you can absolutely say about the average longest lived populations on earth is that they’re omnivorous and tend to shotgun their guts with various foods gut bugs love. The vast majority of them are lean, and they tend to be leaner on average that most everyone else. They actually live longer too, in case that’s actually important—and you recall from all the saturated fat and cholesterol wars: pointing out that all-cause mortality trumps.
  • The one area where the Low Carb Movement gets a gold star in my view is in helping to cause saturated fat and cholesterol phobias to Jump the Shark. Oh, sure, you still see it in articles; but, 99.99% of “journalists” are unrelenting, unrepentant…and worse: ignorant beyond simple awareness Fucktards. We know this. They are literally unaware that there is even a debate about it. It’s the very worst kind of Fucktard. News readers.
  • Demonstrating how one or some set of things is completely wrong is not equivalent to demonstrating how something else is completely right. So, while we have nothing to fear from normal ingestion of saturated fat or cholesterol in the context of real foods, that’s not the same as saying that because a low-carb diet generally offers copious amounts of these things, then we should unduly restrict carbs per se.
  • And it certainly doesn’t mean that when things don’t quite go as planned for some many, that we double-down, publish and promote books to explain away hypercholesterolemia, weight gain, loss of sleep, stress hormones and on and on…with what essentially amounts to: carbs aren’t low enough, and protein is too high.
  • Just like nature is dominated by negative feedback mechanisms; so too, I think, is biology dominated by J-Curves. Not linear or one-sided exponential relationships, but Yin-Yang-ish. We all understand the fallacy that because some is good, more is better. But you must complete the puzzle: just because too much is bad, zero is not necessarily optimal. This is essentially the idea of hormesis or, “finding the sweet spot.”
  • And then there’s J-Curves ON or comprised of J-Curves; i.e., integral and differential calculus. Everyone knows too much alcohol too often is bad, but the epidemiology research shows that on average, a little sometimes, is better than abstinence. but hormetically, this will hold for tons of things: sugar, starches, grains, fat, meat, fruit, vegetables, and the list goes on. So, rather than “pick your poison,” I suggest “pick your optimalites.” You don’t have to have two cocktails per week if you don’t want to. The next guy doesn’t have to have a baked potato. Neither has to have a 1-pound prime rib (OK, I’ve gone to far) or a big helping of ruminant liver. You’ll have to come up with your own calculus.

Waxing philosophical, I’m tired of feeling the need to put in my 2c on everything that goes on out there. Right now, it’s the boat people of the Mediterranean. Who would have predicted that? Loads of irony if you look. How about the German pilot that killed a few tons of peoples by exploiting the very thing that was supposed to make taking down a commercial aircraft from the cockpit controls nearly impossible? …And all the while, shit tons of trillions—in terms of dollars, lost time, and justifiable outrage—have been squandered in making people feel like safe sheep in TSA lines. The ironies are so fucking hilarious it’s almost as tragic as all the safe-feeling people who brutally learned that the state cannot protect you.

Alright, I suppose that’s about enough. let’s see if I can get through the next election cycle without blogging about any of it, elevating it to a stature it doesn’t deserve.

Are you really going to spend a shit ton of your human capital over the next year and a half agitating over who’s going to rule you next? You going to be that pathetic?

1. McSack on April 21, 2015 at 15:12

Amen. 😉

2. Simsalabimbam on April 21, 2015 at 15:44

Thank you Richard, a return to old form.

I agree on almost everything you posited, an increasingly rare thing.

Enjoy your time in Cabo.

3. Travellingbeard on April 22, 2015 at 10:50

Regarding Okinawa, I don’t know what it is, but I this disk, Goya Chanpuru (i.e. cooked bitter melon) intrigues me:

I grew up overseas (middle east, West Africa) so I think I got a good start with all the local and varied foods, and lately, bitter melon I find interesting to eat. I know, I’m strange.

• Travellingbeard on April 22, 2015 at 11:05

dammit… *dish*

4. sassysquatch on April 22, 2015 at 04:22

Excellent!

The Buddha has been slain.

5. eddie belschner on April 22, 2015 at 09:47

yes sir….. theres no perfect set up of bugs

on that note– Id say it has to do with how they play with your genes and blood.. in my case ive seemed to swing mine and what I have now plays well.. with my genes.. why one diet works for one not for the other… starch for some not for some. etc love the rob knight video . No ones perfect or has the perfect bugs

6. John on April 22, 2015 at 11:45

I picked up a bag of Cuisine Solutions sliced beef at Costco yesterday. It is delicious, and incredible at $7.99/lb. I ate it cold for lunch and used the bag of juice as a dip. I see this becoming a staple. Ingredients: beef, salt, and pepper.

The products seem popular, as they were out of the lamb shanks, though well stocked in osso buco.

• John on April 22, 2015 at 12:42

The Lamb Shanks are good! Sadly, I haven’t seen Osso Buco at the Costco I go to.

7. Bret on April 22, 2015 at 19:33

What would have been the absolute most efficient and effective air travel security “solution” (gag) after 9/11?

To ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO CARRY GUNS onto planes. The principle that applies on the street applies six miles above it, too.

Nope, we went full afterburner in the opposite direction. So. Fucking. Stupid.

• Cth on April 23, 2015 at 14:21

Hahahahah… I’ve been reading this blog a long time. I really hope your comment is sarcasm, I struggle to tell any more. If you are serious then We’re all fucked (well anyone who flies via America). Tell me your joking…

• Richard Nikoley on April 23, 2015 at 16:15

“I struggle to tell any more”

Bret is serious, and Bret understands why I agree with him.

Cth, serious question: have you ever driven in a car with someone at the wheel who’d had a few? How about in a taxi anywhere, where you have no idea?

Humans are completely fucktarded about risk assessment. Politicians are fucking smart people, and they make a living fooling fucktards, and one cheif weapon is fear. Another, of course, it “THE CHILDREN!!!!!”

• Gina on April 23, 2015 at 20:36

Guns on planes are not an efficient solution, for a lot of reasons, mostly to do with collateral damage (imagine a circular firing squad). Guns make sense at home, because of the limitations of non-lethal weapons (e.g. range), but on a plane, the non-lethal options make much more sense (and would have served just fine to stop 9/11).

Driving across town is rational; driving to your neighbor’s house is fucktarded.

• Bret on April 24, 2015 at 12:35

What are some examples of non-lethal weapons, Gina?

I can tolerate metal detectors/scanners that prohibit guns (it’s an exploitable rule, but minimally so). But certainly not all weapons.

And my sole concern is not merely to be 100% certain we will never experience another airplane terrorist incident. That kind of thinking results in expensive solutions that make life a huge pain in the ass (and can’t guarantee safety anyway, as the recent German incident showed) — that is my complaint about TSA.

It wasn’t a smart or efficient solution. It was the result of a panic. Now we all get to stand around at airports for hours in some cases at the hands of this costly agency, in exchange for marginal (at best) benefits beyond simply saying, “Take a knife or gun on board. If a terrorist tries to hijack, kill it.”

• Gina on April 24, 2015 at 17:18

I think tasers, mace, pepper spray, clubs, knives, etc. would all be more than adequate for self-defense on an airplane, but a significant amount of passengers with pistols carries too many liabilities. Accidentally macing the wrong person is preferable to spraying the fuselage with bullets.

• Richard Nikoley on April 24, 2015 at 18:26

“It wasn’t a smart or efficient solution. It was the result of a panic. Now we all get to stand around at airports for hours in some cases at the hands of this costly agency”

Politicians learned long ago that corollary to “Bread and Circuses,” making people stand in lines is an absolute sure fire way to make them feel like you are serving them.

People, generally, are just fucktards. It is no more complicated than that.

• Bret on April 24, 2015 at 19:35

Gina, that would be a welcome change to this current horseshit.

But I’m pining for things that won’t happen. As Richard said, most people are indescribably stupid and will advocate for ever more government intervention as a problem gets worse, this issue being no exception.

Infuriates me to even ponder it.

• Gina on April 24, 2015 at 21:25

Agreed. I would happily board a plane with no security checks at all. My main disagreement was in encouraging people to carry a firearm.

Gun enthusiasts almost always think the answer is to pack, and I think that is often reactionary. There are advantages and liabilities to all types of weapons. I carry a taser in my purse during the day, but it’s in my hand in dark parking lots. I choose mace or a walking stick for hikes on secluded trails and a pistol in my home. I don’t carry my gun outside my home because the odds of shooting an innocent person (or facing prosecution as a result of using it) in my home are near zero, but are higher than I am comfortable with in a parking lot or a hiking trail, where I’m confident that my non-lethal weapons are adequate to make it probable that I will escape an assault.

8. Jeff Johnson on April 22, 2015 at 23:36

Anararchism in the air !

Let’s do this right –

We get about thirty redneck yahoo’s from Austin Texas on the plane –

We get fifty or sixty nut cases on psychotropic drugs on the plane –

we get twenty or thirty families where a nasty divorce is happening and the husband/father is ready to kill anybody who looks at him the wrong way –

put a couple air marshals on board who haven’t got their kill quota yet –

then get them all liqured up –

then show em some inspirational movie – like ‘Once Upon A Time In The West ‘ or something even better – but wait –

I forgot – you should have about a hundred crazy as hell muslims on board too –

• Bret on April 23, 2015 at 02:20

Sounds quite plausible and realistic, Jeff. Clearly a model of the sane, rational, and unemotional thinking that prevailed after 9/11 and endures today.

Americans had a choice not to be scared, sweaty little pussies after being attacked. They chose instead to pay huge taxes to stand in line for hours, in exchange for the illusion of safety. All this when they were perfectly capable of defending themselves. The oafs had box cutters for Christ’s sake.

Watching the fear and paranoia spread like a Texas brush fire was as big a victory for terrorists as any demolished skyscraper.

• Richard Nikoley on April 23, 2015 at 07:22

Bret:

And, consider that within about AN HOUR of the start of the 9/11 deal, PEOPLE ON ONE OF THE VERY PLANES figured out the gig, and THEY took care of things.

Fuck the State.

• Richard Nikoley on April 23, 2015 at 15:44

Also, Bret, Jeff ought to have been asked right off the bat:

So, Jeff, are you saying you’re fucktarded enough to put yourself into that situation, that this is what an air travel would be like removing one single variable (state control), or that if we didn’t want the TSA, the state would force us to board such for our own good.

Sometimes, Bret, you forever find yourself dealing with the equivalent of 4-yr-olds who’ve just been told Santa doesn’t really exist.

• Jeff Johnson on April 23, 2015 at 16:02

Bret – more or just being funny –

I’m not a fan of the TSA – DEA – SWAT TEAMS –

I’m all in favor everyone having a gun to defend themselves against the goverment –

as in I do not trust them –

and Richard – that invite to Cabo you gave me might be in Jeopordy – unless you have Jennifer Aniston show up –

• Richard Nikoley on April 23, 2015 at 16:19

I’ll work on it, Jeff.

When I switch SIM cards to TelCel, I’ll make sure contacts are backed up so I don’t lose her speed dial.

Speaking of Jen, I thought Cake was fabulous.

• Onlooker on April 24, 2015 at 14:11

You can bet that now the govt is going to make pilots’ lives a living hell as they chase this latest factor. Biannual psych exams and who the hell knows what all they’ll come up with. I’m sure glad I’m not doing it anymore.

And you can bet that somehow they’ll manage to make it worse thru endless unintended consequences. Of course that just works in their favor as they are then empowered to “fix” things yet again. It’s a beautiful system (for the sociopaths).

• Bret on April 24, 2015 at 19:52

I hear ya, Onlooker. Pisses me off, because I absolutely love flying. But I have to decide relatively soon if I love it enough to continue tolerating all the bs, or to go find another labor of love.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Congress mandated annual FAA psych certifications (i.e. federal propaganda brainwashing compliance) for all pilots, even private & recreational. Current military aviation is probably a good preview of things to come — obsessive medical and regulatory enterprises that only expand with time (when a problem happens, add another 50 pages to the rules and threaten everyone with legal/career damage). I’m fairly certain it’s just a matter of time.

I’d love to reduce the FAA’s cost-inducing, anticompetitive bullshit. But the chance of that happening even by an immeasurable fraction is less likely than doing the same to TSA. Anyone who proposed such an idea would go deaf from all the screeching pig squeals predicting the end of the world due to constant plane crashes, simply due to less governmental interference.

Getting angry again.

• Richard Nikoley on April 24, 2015 at 19:55

Bret, you may have said before and I forgot, but what do you fly?

• Bret on April 25, 2015 at 19:48

Proudly man handling the C-130 at the moment, my friend. Have done others in the past, but am going to stay somewhat vague for now (ISIS social media boogeyman and all).

Despite all my tough talk about government/military bullshit, I do have to give thanks in some way for the opportunity I have had. Still, if government didn’t regulate and spend the aviation industry to death, I would likely be enjoying this element of life very cheaply in a free market. Bleh.

• Bret on April 25, 2015 at 19:49

I blame all the lay American fucktards who are so deathly afraid of flying that their only imaginable reaction is to demand government absorb the industry like a cancer.

But the only thing that matters is I love tits. And caviar. Cheers.

9. Fred on April 23, 2015 at 07:09

As a college student that has completed stopped drinking because of stomach problems (I have Reactive Arthritis, similar to Ankylosing Spondylitis), does anyone have evidence that drinking might be ok? lol

10. MissMcGillicuddy on May 9, 2015 at 03:44